• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN015: Snow Day, Where is Karakara's Bone?

That same continuity argument doesn't work. If you go by that logic then Ash's 7th PokeBall in Kanto should have also gotten locked when he caught Krabby but it didn't, instead it just got sent to Prof. Oak even though the Kanto series happened in the same continuity as the Black and White series.

So since there were differences between what happens to extra PokeBalls in those two series, why is it so hard to admit that things could've changed here too?
Except at that point it’s arguing nothing more then semantics. While the method may have been different, it still remained that a trainer couldn’t use more than 6 Pokémon at a time. That rule remained iron clad.

That same continuity argument doesn't work. If you go by that logic then Ash's 7th PokeBall in Kanto should have also gotten locked when he caught Krabby but it didn't, instead it just got sent to Prof. Oak even though the Kanto series happened in the same continuity as the Black and White series.

So since there were differences between what happens to extra PokeBalls in those two series, why is it so hard to admit that things could've changed here too?

I don't think people would be upset it was changed, as long as they showed how it was changed.

And to be honest, the diverence between the 2 former arcs can be explained with a different system in Kanto/Oaks lab and Unova/Junipers lab. Just like technology is different in different countried in real life. Of course, it was just a case of new rules. Okay, I got it, nice they showed the new rules for a 7th Pokémon. But this time, they didn't showed new rules, they didn't explained anything... I like to think the technology was upgraded and Go can just switch his party and box around very quick with his rotom phone (a concept Misty told Ash he could also do in Kanto with his old pokédex but something Ash never used in favor of contacting the careraker of his pokémon).

Of they only showed. Or a line in which it was explained you can carry as many Pokémon as you want, but you can only use a maximum of 6 in a battle. But there was no explanation.

Also, we had a scene in this episode of a box with 6 slots to contain Pokéballs, a strange number if 6 wasn't important anymore.

20200301_132521.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished watching the subs, was good that Go wasn't too annoyed that his parents were distracted by work so were unable to spend much time with him. Very different to Lillie

I'm surprised they mentioned the helmet of Cubone is its mother's skull.

There are so many things to comment about this nice episode but some people just focus on silly things and nitpick even the 7th pokeball thing, lol.

Anyway I enjoyed this episode, I think the only time I like the slice of life genre is when Pokemon does it lol, lots of development for Go, introduction of his family, Go using some of his reserves and having a full team, the friendship between Ash and Go is so wholesome <3 Dragonite appearing and more.

I'm really enjoying the Pocket Monsters anime now, maybe it had a lazy start but it has gotten significantly better, keep it up!

Also, we had a scene in this episode of a box with 6 slots to contain Pokéballs, a strange number if 6 wasn't important anymore.

It's a physical box, it has a finite amount of space and who knows, that could've been 1 of how many boxes Go need to transport everyone of his Pokemon with him). Especially since its possible Go has 6 Pokemon on his belt plus the 6 here that's 12 Pokemon potentially.

I mean a Pokemon boxes in game can hold 30 Pokemon so I doubt it's relating to that.

I'm not sure why but I feel like Vermillion city is like a real-life Tokyo with Pokemon in it. This episode felt like a real-world because I get to see employees and offices, institutions, and engineering firms presenting real-life problems; Gou's grandmother joining a karaoke contest (which a grandmother of mine would really do with her peers aside from playing bingo), if they just showed Gou having a Grandfather obsessed with Pachinko then I would've lost it :LOL:.

I'm loving this series more and more. I think Sun and Moon was a great practice for them to write more relatable and believable people to show in this new series. I enjoyed watching the new characters last time especially the Shiny Hunter and the Spelunker and now even though they showed them for a brief moment, I want to see more of Gou's family.

I wasn't overly bothered by the seventh Poké Ball thing and find it kinda weird/funny that so many people have talked about it here so much. There's so much more to talk about in regards of this episode.

I personally thought this episode was really well written. Go actually deserved his easy capture this time, and his family was really sympathetic.

Now I'm just wondering if Go's parents named their company after their son, or the other way around.

It's a physical box, it has a finite amount of space and who knows, that could've been 1 of how many boxes Go need to transport everyone of his Pokemon with him). Especially since its possible Go has 6 Pokemon on his belt plus the 6 here that's 12 Pokemon potentially.

I mean a Pokemon boxes in game can hold 30 Pokemon so I doubt it's relating to that.
I don't mean it's a pc box... It's a cardboard box. But still... A thing to take Pokéballs with you (since calling it a box is confusing), and it has 6 slots... I don't know... Not 4, not 8, not 10, not 12 but 6... Of all possible numbers it had 6 slots...

For me this is a sign the 6 pokémon rule still is important in this new series. Otherwise why bother drawing this thing (cardboard box) with 6 slots. They could just have drawn a normal thing (cardboard box) without slots, filled with a lot (all) of Go's pokéballs.

And in case of Go keeping Pokéballs on his belt... Did we ever saw this? I mean, I know some trainers like Ash (used to) keep them on his belt, but other trainers choose others methods. Misty (who granted didn't wear a belt) was confirmed to keep them in her backpack. We saw people carrying them in their pockets (the true pocket monster trainers ;) ), we saw them hanging as a neckless around the neck, on special armour,... It would be cool if Go had them on his belt, maybe I'm going to watch some old episodes to see if Go indeed keep his pokéballs on his belt. (Edit: I guess in episode 7 it looks like he puts the Pokéball of Scyther on his belt, but it's just off screen, maybe there is another, more clean scene. Altough I even wonder, even if I look at official concept art if Ash and Go even wear belts in this series. It seems like Go doesn't wear a belt. Editedit: in episode 14 you can clearly see Ash taking Dragonites pokéball out of his pocket. I guess the belt concept is dropped since I think Ash stopped wearing a belt ever since Sun and Moon. Go has a habit of taking his pokéballs off screen. Also in episode 14 :p )

But whatever the answer is (you can carry more than 6 pokémon or you can insta-switch them...) it brings some problems to the table. If Ash and Go are stuck on a problem ons of their Pokémon can fix but they never use this Pokémon in the episode... Why not? And the others wat around... After a while it will become boring if the right pokémon for every problem is always available.

But we'll see how the writers will handle it. Episode 15 was a nice episode and I liked a lot of things about it like I listed before. The 7th Pokémon thing ticked me off, but it doesn't mean this was the whole episode. I still liked the episode.

Last edited:
Can't believe it. They actually made an episode were Go is... tolerable and his older Pokemon get to do stuff, although they all kind of struggled at sharing the spotlight between them (an issue that will be more noticable at the rate of Go's captures). the music was blegh, but the story here was cute. Finally, a Go capture that feels earned.

What a lovely episode! Loved how Gou used his older pokemon and how they reacted to the colder weather. Cubone was adorable and Gou's family was very likeable. I didn't expect Gou to be such a mature, understanding kid at his age. He's a total sweetheart!
The sequence of Ash fake singing with the spoon at the end was hilarious too lol

One thing I was slightly surprised to see was Go's Cascoon all together in Go's room

I was half expecting for them to suddenly evolve into Dustox given how quickly they evolved into Cascoon

To everyone saying that Gou had seven Pokémon , ash also once had seven Pokémon with him. In his full battle alongside Gary , ash used 6 Pokémon in the battle and Pikachu was cheering on the sidelines . I think this was possible as ash didnt send Pikachu to the lab but sent pikachu's pokeball to the lab so maybe Gou did not have the pokeball of one of his Pokémon in rotation maybe scorbunny . What do you guys think ?

I loved how Buttefree and Fearow communicated, especially when you consider how Spearow and Fearow were jerks in the OS and Movie 20.

To everyone saying that Gou had seven Pokémon , ash also once had seven Pokémon with him. In his full battle alongside Gary , ash used 6 Pokémon in the battle and Pikachu was cheering on the sidelines . I think this was possible as ash didnt send Pikachu to the lab but sent pikachu's pokeball to the lab so maybe Gou did not have the pokeball of one of his Pokémon in rotation maybe scorbunny . What do you guys think ?
That's possible. I really don't think it matters either way, though.

Finally, a Go capture that feels earned.
Venonat, Scyther and Sandile felt earned to me. Go isn't going to bond with every Pokemon he catches, but that's fine if there's a battle involved. I didn't mind Golurk, either, because it felt like Ash helping him with his goal (maybe not in the right way, but Ash doesn't exactly believe in "tough love"). I would have preferred a loss, though.

I'm assuming that Cubone will be a permanent team member. Otherwise, the extra attention given to its capture will have been a waste.

I always saw this as Pikachu not being in Ash his party on that moment. He was sitting in the stands with the others and prof. Oak on that moment. Just like when Ash is at Oaks lab. There he is with more than 6 of his pokémon at a time. He even once used Muk to fight while being there instead of a pokémon from his party. The anime isn't the games, so there are little loopholes you can take. Everyone knows the Pokémon are roaming freely in the anime when not in the party. It's not like in the games werd you store them in a pc.

I don't know know many Pokémon Ash had on hand in the 3th movie. I do think this is the movie than started with the 6 on 6 battle (now I'm typing it, I know it was). So Ash had 6 pokémon on hand, but when Charizard saw on tv Ash is in trouble, he flew over to help him. This is also ons of the loopholes, because technically Charizard wasn't in Ash his party on that moment.

But in the last episode, Go had 6 pokémon on hand, he used al 6 of them and then he caught number 7. So I don't see a loophole. If he caught it at the lab I think it wouldn't have been a big deal, because like I said before, this is one of the places were it's been estemblished you can be with more than 6 of your pokémon. Or if for example his flying Pokémon came over flying from the lab without Go having them in his party. Or one of the pokémon went with him in a style like Phampy and Aipom in the past and Go didn't ask the pokéball to be transported to him. Maybe this can be a loophole, Scorbunny is walking with Go, but Go doesn't have his Pokéball on hand (maybe).

But without the loopholes... In Sinnoh, when Ash wanted to see and train all of his Pokémon he also had to switch them around in groups. If it was possible to have more than 6 pokémon ever since Jotho, he could have had all of them.

I always saw this as Pikachu not being in Ash his party on that moment. He was sitting in the stands with the others and prof. Oak on that moment. Just like when Ash is at Oaks lab. There he is with more than 6 of his pokémon at a time. He even once used Muk to fight while being there instead of a pokémon from his party. The anime isn't the games, so there are little loopholes you can take. Everyone knows the Pokémon are roaming freely in the anime when not in the party. It's not like in the games werd you store them in a pc.
As much as I think this seventh Poké Ball discussion is going on way longer than it needs to, I'm going to say that Ash could have just sent Pikachu's Poké Ball away without Pikachu inside to free up a slot in his team.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom