• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN017: Hibanny, Use Your Flaming Kick! Face Tomorrow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but it's kind of jarring to see Ash training not only one of Gou's Pokemon, but his partner Pokemon. Like...it's weird.

It's likely that Gou will have some kind of revelation by the end of the episode (it's Pokemon, after all) and I think this could be a really nice development episode for him, but I also think it's perfectly fair for people to critique the preview as is right now because it's all we have. And that scene of Ash and Scorbunny threw me off big time.
Well why shouldn't he? He helped train Rockruff before he caught it. Ash is just nice enough to help train anyone if they want it.

I think I will like the interactions between Scorbunny and Hihidaruma this episode. It already gives me the vibes of an older/younger sibling relationship were the older one teases the younger one because the younger one isn't as good in something as the older one and the younger one tries to it and fails... Hopefully by the end of the episode Hihidaruma will also show it's respect if Scorbunny manages to use a fire move.

As Go's first 2 fire Pokémon a little rivallery would be nice between the 2.

Well why shouldn't he? He helped train Rockruff before he caught it. Ash is just nice enough to help train anyone if they want it.

'cept Rockruff was a wild Pokémon at the time, meaning that no one else could train/help it train, since it didn't have an owner. Meanwhile, Go is Scorbunny's trainer, so it's his job train it (and I don't care what you (not you in particular, but people defending this in general) say about it not being part of Go's goal, it's his job, as a Pokémon trainer, to train his Pokémon (it's even in the name, for Arceus' sake)).

And this isn't even a case of Ash helping someone else's Pokémon train (like being their opponent in a training battle, for example (like he did in the past)). This time, based on the preview, Ash is the one actually training the Pokémon, while the trainer's being an a-hole and refuses to train it despite it clearly wanting to improve itself. In what kind of bizarro world is this considered a good thing?

'cept Rockruff was a wild Pokémon at the time, meaning that no one else could train/help it train, since it didn't have an owner. Meanwhile, Go is Scorbunny's trainer, so it's his job train it (and I don't care what you (not you in particular, but people defending this in general) say about it not being part of Go's goal, it's his job, as a Pokémon trainer, to train his Pokémon (it's even in the name, for Arceus' sake)).

And this isn't even a case of Ash helping someone else's Pokémon train (like being their opponent in a training battle, for example (like he did in the past)). This time, based on the preview, Ash is the one actually training the Pokémon, while the trainer's being an a-hole and refuses to train it despite it clearly wanting to improve itself. In what kind of bizarro world is this considered a good thing?
What about the people that have pokemon more as pets or use them for other means than battling? They're considered trainers.

What about the people that have pokemon more as pets or use them for other means than battling?

Well, if the Pokémon's content with it and doesn't want to train or become more powerful and the trainer don't pursue a goal that is related to or includes battling (which Pokémon capturing does, btw), than I don't see a problem. However, if the trainer is pursuing a goal in which Pokémon battles are involved or if the Pokémon wants to train and become stronger, then it's that trainer's job to train their Pokémon. That's not to say that their friends can't come and help with the training if they need to, but they can't just let their friends do all the work for them while they just sit there and act like improving your Pokémon's skills is terrible and worthless.

Again, Go is trainer who wants to catch all Pokémon (and, as we've already seen on multiple occasions, he will have to battle some of them (even with the unreasonable amount of luck that he's been gifted with by the writers)) and Scorbunny is a Pokémon who cares for its trainer and actively wants to train and become a stronger battler to help Go on his quest. Yet, despite all that, Go refuses to train it or help it improve its skills because... reason?

O
Well, if the Pokémon's content with it and doesn't want to train or become more powerful and the trainer don't pursue a goal that is related to or includes battling (which Pokémon capturing does, btw), than I don't see a problem. However, if the trainer is pursuing a goal in which Pokémon battles are involved or if the Pokémon wants to train and become stronger, then it's that trainer's job to train their Pokémon. That's not to say that their friends can't come and help with the training if they need to, but they can't just let their friends do all the work for them while they just sit there and act like improving your Pokémon's skills is terrible and worthless.

Again, Go is trainer who wants to catch all Pokémon (and, as we've already seen on multiple occasions, he will have to battle some of them (even with the unreasonable amount of luck that he's been gifted with by the writers)) and Scorbunny is a Pokémon who cares for its trainer and actively wants to train and become a stronger battler to help Go on his quest. Yet, despite all that, Go refuses to train it or help it improve its skills because... reason?

Well of course. But as of this moment Go is still new to all of this. He has yet to grasp how important battling is. And it doesn't help that he's been catching pokemon without needing to battle much. I feel go will see the importance to train eventually.

This is what happens when you have a trainer whose sole goal is catching Pokemon. He is basically Gary but, worse. Gary had at last confirmation over 200 Pokemon and while we never see them all he at least had a set group he trained and was close to. Meanwhile Gou keeps catching Pokemon and ignores all of them including his starter Scorbunny. Honestly they should have handled Gou more like Crystal from Adventures. She at least understood what was needed to be a master catcher.

Here we go again with the 'Go doesn't use his Pokemon!!1!' fallacy. Y'all know damn well that we've seen several of his spare Pokemon appear in various episode and the Cubone episode is particular saw Go using several of his Pokemon to help find the missing bone. So spare us the exaggerations about Go supposedly ignoring his Pokemon.

As for the actual Scorbunny part of the episode, after seeing the trailer it's even more obvious (as if it wasn't already) that the whole 'Go's against training his rabbit' sub-plot is meant to incite drama between the two characters within the episode so I'm surprised that people are taking it so seriously. The writers seem self aware of how Go's mindset could be considered wrong but they don't seem to care as long as it gives them a chance to show Scorbunny doing goofy faces. And oh look, Ash is doing them too. Did I just step back in time to 2016 and the SuMo series?

Rockruff was a wild Pokemon. Ash has a history of helping wild Pokemon. It's just bizarre to see him training a Pokemon that belongs to his friend.

I'm not saying Ash is wrong for doing it, but it comes across as weird because it seems like Gou is going to be so against helping Scorbunny to learn a new move that Ash steps in instead. Which, in fairness, fits Gou's personality, whether people want to hear it or not. The fact of the matter is Gou is used to being on his own and making decisions for himself in his own best interest. He's not used to socializing or making decisions that benefit others. That doesn't make him a bad person; it's literally his character. It's important for him to learn how to work with others, including his Pokemon, and I think that's what this episode is going to do.

But it's still strange to see it even reaches a point where Ash is stepping in to help to that degree.

But it's still strange to see it even reaches a point where Ash is stepping in to help to that degree.

This is Ash we're talking about. He's put his whole life on pause multiple times these past 23 years just to help a bunch of random Cotds. So why is it strange for him to help his new BFF's Pokemon?

From the subs it seems like Scorbunny trains to learn a fire move, but is having trouble. Gou seems almost resentful of Scorbunny trying to train itself, and Scorbunny is upset by this. I predict that Gou maybe learns to respect Scorbunny's wishes, and then Scorbunny evolves.

Can we call Gou a trainer when he refuses to train his Pokemon. He is more a collector than a trainer and thus shouldn't be addressed as a trainer.
This is an interesting point. There was a notebook in the original games with this comment:
"People who raise and make POKEMON fight are called POKEMON trainers."
Now, I can't recall if later games or the show contradict this (first gen games said beating Lance makes you a Master, and it isn't that simple in the show from what Ash said), but it does seem that having Pokémon doesn't make you a trainer, and Gou really may not qualify in the same way that those characters of the day who use their Pokémon to give therapy or cook or similar may not.

Summary and Cast lists courtesy of Adamant

Hibanny is frustrated because it can't fire off the Fire type move Ember very well. Go tells Hibanny it doesn't have to push itself, but Hibanny disagrees with that stance and the two end up fighting...

Summary:
Pikachu and Hibanny are practicing Pokémon battling when the Blazing Pokémon Hihidaruma comes over and provokes Hibanny into trying to use a Fire type move. Hibanny tries using Ember, but it's not able to use the move very well and just ends up getting made fun of. An annoyed Hibanny starts working hard on practicing this move, which Go thinks is pointless since Hibanny can battle just fine using its other moves. And before they know it, these contrasting mindsets result in the two starting to fight...

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Kana Hanazawa: Koharu
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Kenta Miyake: Nyorobon
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Hihidaruma
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration
yikes... i never really liked Go and this isn’t really helping his case. nonetheless i’ll wait until after this episode airs to make any judgement. Doesn’t look too good though :/

I kind of hope that Scorbunny evolves and it starts to disobey Go. We haven’t seen a main character’s Pokémon be disobedient since Iris’ Dragonite and we haven’t seen a Pokémon that obeyed it’s trainer until evolution since Dawn’s Piloswine. I also feel this would help build Go’s character.

Last edited:
yikes... i never really liked Go and this isn’t really helping his case. nonetheless i’ll wait until after this episode airs to make any judgement. Doesn’t look too good though :/

I kind of hope that Scorbunny evolves and it starts to disobey Go. We haven’t seen a main character’s Pokémon be disobedient since Iris’ Dragonite and we haven’t seen a Pokémon that obeyed it’s trainer until evolution since Dawn’s Piloswine. I also feel this would help build Go’s character.

So we acknowledge that Go already has a problem with considering his own Pokemon's feelings and you want to add fuel to the fire by making Scorbunny into a problem child?

Sorry but I don't think that him having a disobedient Pokemon would teach him a lesson because knowing this anime's track record it would just drag on and on and eventually people would get tired of the disobedience plot and use that as more ammo against Go.

This is Ash we're talking about. He's put his whole life on pause multiple times these past 23 years just to help a bunch of random Cotds. So why is it strange for him to help his new BFF's Pokemon?

It just looks weird. It's really not that deep, tbh.

Like I said, it's not that I think Ash is wrong for doing it, or that it's weird or out of character for him. If anything, it just shows how deeply Gou's childhood has affected him and the way he behaves, whether he realizes or not. Ash has never had to step in at this level with a friend's Pokemon because they didn't really have this issue. It's an interesting angle, it's just weird to see.

This episode may give some good character development to Gou so I'm looking forward to it.

So we acknowledge that Go already has a problem with considering his own Pokemon's feelings and you want to add fuel to the fire by making Scorbunny into a problem child?

Sorry but I don't think that him having a disobedient Pokemon would teach him a lesson because knowing this anime's track record it would just drag on and on and eventually people would get tired of the disobedience plot and use that as more ammo against Go.
Having things go fine and dandy won’t teach him a lesson either. Capturing 90% Pokémon in one throw is what led to this situation in the first place. Go isn’t particularly adapt at learning lessons on his own (he wasted all his Pokeballs on Dewgong, and proceeded to do the same with Gengar in the next episode). So having a disobedient Pokemon for once might make him look into what he did wrong.

New preview image from official Twitter.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1236585701069557760

ESgUXMeU8AESTLo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom