• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN017: Hibanny, Use Your Flaming Kick! Face Tomorrow!!

Don't put words in my mouth. I have no problem with Go having to go through ordeals if it's actually set up in a way that doesn't drag on for too long and doesn't feel redundant at the end of the day, but this Raboot situation is the epitome of what I dislike about the writing these days. Go was mistaken at the beginning of this episode when he decided not to care about Scorbunny's eagerness to train and by the end of the episode he realized that Scorbunny learning Ember was a big deal for him, so the problem was resolved there.

This continued subplot with Raboot sulking even after Go learned his lesson is stupid because it focuses on something that's a non-issue at this point. It's the equivalent of beating a dead horse, primarily because like I said Go already learned what he did wrong and showed remorse, so I fail to see how Raboot still holding a grudge over something that was already fixed is meant to be 'development.'
You don't like it when people put words in your mouth but you don't see any problem when you do it most of the time? Also, this is hardly the epitome of bad writing or did you not pay attention to the streak of bad episodes a while back that culminated with the terrible Johto episode? Returning to the point, I don't really think any other negative development would work for Gou at the current moment. The friction that they showed in episode 3 between the main protagonists was dropped a long time ago and they instantly made Ash and Gou fast friends without any further problems.

Someone already worded the Raboot issue better than me. To Gou, Scorbunny/Raboot is supposed to be his best friend so for him to lose his best friend as a result of his own actions would be sort of like a wake up call for him, as well as a chance to dive further into his backstory. Just because Gou came around at the end doesn't mean that every problem should be solved instantly, if that happened then it would be poor writing. For you to consider it a non-issue would mean you haven't been paying attention to Gou's unwitting treatment of Scorbunny. Actually in this episode itself, Gou was outright rude to it and kept stating that it was incapable of using Ember and that it should just give up, at the end he didn't even apologize to it.

Unlike Ash's Charmeleon whose disobedience came out of the unknown blue just because the writers wanted to shove in a disobedience gag in his face (it wouldn't become a sub-plot for character development until later), Gou's Raboot has valid reasons to be how it is. And unlike Ash beginning his journey and facing hardships, Gou's not been written to have any sort of real roadblock or trouble till now.

Last edited:
Kinda sucks that even after Go figured out what he was doing wrong when it came to helping Scorbunny, he still gets the short end of the stick by having Raboot distrust him. Go learned his lesson so his Pokemon shouldn't still be sulking.

Yes let's ignore that Scorbunny was glaring at Go or being apathetic towards Go during most of that battle, the ONLY positive emotion at that time was when it used ember with its feet, and that was more so about using a move successfully.

Yeah MOST definitely not something that was resolved. Especially since Go didn't even apologize for the way he was treating Scorbunny throughout the entire episode. A bit more important than "Hey Scorbunny, I know of a way you CAN use a fire move" um........okay......sure......but it would've been a bit more important to apologize to your Pokemon for implying it was mentally/physically handicapped rather than it being simply YOU (Go) being a dumbass.

To show kids watching that emotional scars inflicted on friends are not always instantly healed.

'Emotional scars' are you kidding me?! Go didn't care about Scorbunny's interest in learning Ember, that was the crux of the problem in that episode. You make it sound like Scorbunny/Raboot was traumatized because of that. I'd hate to know what you think of Chimchar's abuse at the hands of Paul if you think that Scorbunny's mere struggle with mastering Ember was an emotional scar on his psyche, like good grief. :bulbaFacepalm:

'Emotional scars' are you kidding me?! Go didn't care about Scorbunny's interest in learning Ember, that was the crux of the problem in that episode. You make it sound like Scorbunny/Raboot was traumatized because of that. I'd hate to know what you think of Chimchar's abuse at the hands of Paul if you think that Scorbunny's mere struggle with mastering Ember was an emotional scar on his psyche, like good grief. :bulbaFacepalm:
Go has been ignoring Scorbunny's desire to battle since pretty much episode one, barring an exception of battling Mightyena (which happened only because Ash dragged Go there). And he proceeds to ignore Scorbunny for pretty much the entire episode, except for the last minute.

I don’t know, but if my best friend told me I can’t do something, when I actually can with a little practice, proceed to ignore me and belittle my abilities, only for him to return in the last one minute to support, there’s surely going to be some rethinking on my part.
Combined with Raboot's teenager-like personality, it’s no surprise it’s brooding over what happened, and isn’t worshipping its trainer.

And no, this doesn’t change the fact that what happened to Chimchar was way too bad. No one said it wasn’t. And everyone would appreciate if you stopped bringing up highly generalised "hurr durr fandom doesn’t like x" While arguing with individual users unless you can bring up their entire post history about something they said years ago on the issue, since I’m pretty sure you won’t like if I said "All those who're supporting Go just love to worship the writers and just digest whatever bad writing they feed the watchers" or something.

Everyone who is arguing something about a particular issue isn’t a part of a larger hive mind with a shared consciousness.

Struggling to master Ember wasn't the scar, the scar was from Gou's lack of care or compassion to the problem it was facing and the fact that Gou made it obvious that he didn't give a crap about its problem despite it being important to Scorbunny. When Scorbunny got the slightly larger fireball than before it could tell that it was able to perform the move, it just needed that little bit of extra help from Gou to master it, so when Gou said, "you can't do what you can't do," and wouldn't even give Scorbunny the time of day to give it that little bit of help it needed it's view of him as its trainer and best friend were dashed. Gou made Scorbunny feel like it was being a nuisance and that he straight up did not care about its feelings even though it would have been so easy for him to sit down with it for like 10 minutes and give it the help that would see it master the move. I would feel pretty bummed if my best friend whom I looked up to and who's job it literally was to help me be the best I could be at something and they flat out refused to help me master something because they couldn't be bothered and blatantly didn't care that I wanted to master it, especially when I was so sure I was almost there and could master it with just a bit of their time and help.

For the record I couldn't stand Paul and he almost made the Hearthome Tournament unwatchable with the way he treated Chimchar.

Great episode. I liked the new move. Hibunny(now Rabbitfoot) learns a life lesson
and we too, from this episode learn that "Winners don't do different things, they do things differently".

Scorbunny Evolved Early:unsure::unsure::unsure: Lets REWIEW!!!
Goh's a Huge Jerk This Episode. He Doesn't Care About Scorbunny and Only Cares About Catching Pokemon. HE'S FINE USING QUICK ATTACK AND DOUBLE KICK!!!WHAT A DOUCHEBAG!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad: (At least he's better than paul that jerk mistreating chimchar he got what he deserved in the sinnoh leauge>:<)
Scorbunny Evolved into Edgy Rabbit and Learned not to Trust Goh...Noice:)
Scorbunny Learned Ember
pyro ball and Evolved so that was Good :D
8/10 Goh's Being a Jerk Brought This Down

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom