• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN018: Satoshi Participates! The Pokémon World Championships!!

Raichu didn't use an attack with its tail, and Electrode didn't use Rollout until fighting Pikachu.
Raichu swung it's tail at Gengar when Gengar was using Ice Punch and it phased through--I thought that was what everyone was talking about when discussing Gengar's intangibility.

For Electrode, my guess is that it's ramming Gengar from the walls "counted" as Rollout.

To be clear we could pretend that Raichu's tail would classify as a normal type attack, whereas because Electrode did have Rollout we can just assume it tackled with a rock type effect.

If Ghost Pokemon can become intangible regardless of the type, then we have to assume that it MUST be conscious effort on Gengar's part.

Not sure why the argument "Gengar should always be intangible, innately" was brought up, since I'm pretty sure in order to normally appear or battle, it has to take a corporeal body, I'm pretty sure it becoming ethereal has to be a conscious effort, not MUCH of a conscious effort, but enough to be able to get hit when not being able to analyze your opponent, as I'm sure this relates to the species being able to turn invisible which we saw with Morty's Ghost Pokemon until Noctowl used foresight, and that was clearly a conscious effort to become invisible.

Because let's face it, Electrode was pretty much doing what Gengar was doing against Raichu right before ice punch, only difference is Electrode has to be canonically faster than Gengar (barring some anime only characteristic), thus it was VERY unlike Raichu which was basically moving very slow in comparison to Electrode hopping everywhere. From that perspective, it makes sense why Gengar couldn't become intangible, not that I imagine it could remain intangible for long and would've likely gotten hit anyway on top of the fact that I highly doubt becoming intangible would help since there would be no way to reasonably believe Gengar would've become corporeal FAST enough to perform some attack. Electrode was just too fast and would've hit Gengar the moment it became corporeal.

Episode 14 was just okay. It didn't feel distinctly Tomioka and I wouldn't have guessed he wrote it. This one on the other hand hits the spot, it very much has the Tomioka Touch™. A well-animated battle with good tactics, and lots of callbacks!

I realized this sounds like I'm giving Tomioka credit for the animation. Much thanks to Iwane as well!

I love how Ash got recognition for once, that's such a rare thing. Max recognized him when they first met but has there been anything since? I'm thinking this is actually the first time for it since Gen 3.

I realized this sounds like I'm giving Tomioka credit for the animation. Much thanks to Iwane as well!

I love how Ash got recognition for once, that's such a rare thing. Max recognized him when they first met but has there been anything since? I'm thinking this is actually the first time for it since Gen 3.

After Max, there were at least two obvious examples:

Before Ash battled Tucker, he had a press conference with journalists who asked him questions about his past accomplishments.

There's also that Nurse Joy right before Ash challenged Brandon; she keeps a book with pictures of accomplished trainers, with pages dedicated to Ash and May

(Of course, Ash then had to get destroyed in battle right in front of her; writers at that time still loved to build Ash up and knock him down)

But if we're talking about since Gen 3? Not much other than Paul learning about Ash beating the Battle Frontier and Ash's Alolan friends learning about him participating in the Indigo League (which Misty and Brock had to get a jab in since Ash was just too happy /s)

I like how Satoshi realized that he could use Psychic to stop Raichu's Volt Tackle. After all he has used Volt Tackle so many times even if that is now in the past. It's nice to see some references to other series than Kanto even if they left that part unexplained to the younger audience.

Funny how Gou calls Volt Tackle an "unpredictable trick". This made me realize how little Gou actually knows about Satoshi and his past achievements.

How close are Satoshi and Gou really? They mostly seem to be minding their own business. This made me miss how the past groups were so close to each other especially Takeshi/Brock who knew Satoshi the best.

I also like how Raboot got emotional after it heard the Pokedex's explaination for Raichu, how its personality changes after evolving. Did Raboot see itself in Raichu and felt ashamed of it?

Last edited:
Lets Rewiew
The Battle Was Great. The Best Matchup was Gengar vs Raichu. I Love This Battle. Even Edgy Rabbit Loved İt :love: :love:
The Start was Anticlamactic Tho.
9/10

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom