• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DPS01: Hikari - Setting Off on a New Journey! ・ DPS02: Nibi Gym - The Greatest Crisis Ever!

He could mean that Brock's goal as being a doctor wasn't expanded this special as Investigator Joy VS Forrest and the family was more focused. Him suggesting the ingredients to Nurse Joy and asking for Sudowoodo and Marill to get the supplies isn't as different than the previous times he's been on Ash's journey. Only small thing was him studying in his room in the beginning of the special. Everything else were things we've seen before except with a few surprises.

The battle in the Nibi Gym special was amazing,through not that special anymore after we saw the latios match in the league, the aerial battle style of latias wasn't as impressive and was portrayed as rather weak(compared to latios).

The gym special wanst that special in the end.Then again...is not like there's much potential for stories about a character like Takeshi...

This would have been the perfect time to clear the Takuto mystery a bit.Oh well...still holding my breath for more specials in the future.

I'll miss Hikari and Pochama, the same goes to Brock, Croagunk and Sudowoodo.
I loved this special, both parts of it.

I wonder why Sudowoodo got such a big role. Even more than Croagunk.

I guess the writers felt bad for neglecting it so much in DP?

"big role"... a short battle which it lost and appearing at the background a few times... what a big role... -_-
Anyway, Brock probably used it over Croagunk/Chansey cause it's a rock type and he battled as the Gym Leader

"big role"... a short battle which it lost and appearing at the background a few times... what a big role... -_-

Well, in comparison to Croakgunk who was only seen in the poison jabbing parts of the episode, and Chansey who wasn't seen at all, Sudowoodo got the biggest part out of all of Takeshi's DP Pokémon in this episode ( the battle and it was out of its ball for most of the time), so Scott's comment isn't that farfetched.

I still couldn't bring myself to watch Hikari's episode...but the Takeshi one was pretty good. I just like Takeshi as a character and without Satoshi and Hikari/Kasumi/Haruka around he really does shine as a character, at least to me.

I think its amusing that Brock's Chansey only ever appeared in that one episode for 20 seconds and never again.

Yeah. It was a shame that happened. I mean, his Sudowoodo was pretty much present for the whole episode. His 'mascot' Croagunk, only appeared twice VERY briefly and Chansey didn't appear at all. What was that about?

Well, the episode wasn't about Brock, it was about Forrest, so Forrest's pokémon appeared and were featured. Forrest got the most screen time.

It's funny that May's cameo in DP had more to do with Dawn and that Brock's special had more to do with Forrest. The only one who's special was really about her since DP was Dawn. Let's you know how importantly the writers felt about progressing Brock and May's storylines...

Last edited:
Well, the episode wasn't about Brock, it was about Forrest, so Forrest's pokémon appeared and were featured. Forrest got the most screen time.

It's funny that May's cameo in DP had more to do with Dawn and that Brock's special had more to do with Forrest. The only one who's special was really about her since DP was Dawn. Let's you know how importantly the writers felt about progressing Brock and May's storylines...

So Dawn helping a Cotd and killing Ariados is progressing her story?

No, but one of her pokémon evolving and her deciding where she'll go next is... :D

May's cameo furthered Dawn's story and the Brock special furthered Forrest's story (ish since he already was the gym leader...)

Yet Forrest was still considered unofficial though. His dad let his form concerning the Gym Leader addition/change fly away just to be distracted by a rock.

But why would the writers focus Brock's potentially last episode to focus on his brother?

Probably because they felt that if the episode was solely about Brock, it wouldn't be interesting. Take a look at the finshed product. What made this episode interesting? Forrest's Rhyperior v Joy's Latias battle and the Flint/Lola appearances. The Brock parts of this episode were highly underwhelming.

This was a Forrest episode, not a Brock episode.

DP190 had enough of Brock taking care of Pokemon, sitting through that again probably would have been boring to a lot of people.

For some reason the Hikari special is not that bad. Sure its a rehash of the first episode of DP but its not that bad imo. My only complain is Hikaris Hinoarashi because at this point it feels like a copy of Satoshis Hinoarashi. Also the adults show that they are useless in the Pokemon world.

The Dawn special wasn't terrible, its just an obvious mix of 4 different episodes done in a slightly different way and combined together.

Dawn name dropping that she was going to Hoenn, and Cynda evolving (the only two important bits), could have been done very quickly and easily any other way.

Even the Dawn/Johanna battle was kinda pointless as they just stop battling in the middle and don't bother to finish.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom