• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BWS01: Dent and Takeshi! Gyarados's Imperial Rage!!

I didn't care for this at all.

Where do I begin...? Takeshi and Dent basically filled the same roles in their trios and seeing them do these things that they're both well known for - cooking, observing a pokemon and giving it the appropriate food, daydreaming about girls / fishing - only emphasized how they're more or less the same character.

Takeshi doesn't do a goddman thing until the very end when he sprays the Gyarados with the Potion. You could seriously have taken the Pokemon Breeder out of the first 4/5 of this episode and we wouldn't have been able to tell the difference - Dent still would have gone to the Pokemon Center and gotten his Yanapp healed (why was it necessary for Takeshi to help out? What did he do that Joi couldn't do on her own?), Dent still would have volunteered to help Ayumi, he still would have helped take down the poacher...Takeshi contributed about as much to the plot as the little girl with the Pikachu. I guess that's par the course with DP-Takeshi, but still.

What was up with only having Takeshi's Gureggru show up? Don't get me wrong, I do love his deranged little poison frog, but wouldn't it have also been nice to see his Lucky, a pokemon who's only gotten like five seconds of screentime since it evolved three years ago? Or any of the other pokemon of his we haven't seen in like half a decade? Takeshi has all these pokemon that Dent has probably never seen before - including Jouto pokemon such as Usokki, Foretos, Crobat, Haganeil - and yet they didn't think it was worth it to have the Pokemon Sommelier meet any of them?

And speaking of Jouto, I really wish the episode had done more with the setting. A few of the townspeople had Jouto pokemon in their arms but that's really about it. Play some Jouto background music, feature a Jouto pokemon rampaging around instead of a freaking Gyarados for the millionth time, show off some Jouto items like the Jouto Monster Balls...do *something* to justify having this episode take place in the Jouto Region! Otherwise just have this take place in Houen or something since that's where Dent's supposed to be heading anyway.

Finally, the fact that neither Dent nor Takeshi learn each other's names or find out that they both traveled with Satoshi was completely pointless.

...I think this episode would have been a lot better if it hadn't been billed as the "Takeshi and Dent finally meet!" special.

Luigifan141 said:
Also, what's going on with the Iris special? I get the feeling it's canned or something, since we don't know when it's airing or the title of it...

Since when is there going to be an Iris special? This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you're talking about.
The preview for the final episodes of BW showcased XY, Cilan's special and showed small clips of Iris in Clair's gym with her Dragonite and Iris running with a Gible in her arms and Rayquaza in the sky.

How can you not know what I'm talking about?

Maybe because I don't commit every single scene in every single promo I see to memory?

We should really get back on-topic.

Maybe because I don't commit every single scene in every single promo I see to memory?

We should really get back on-topic.
You could have at least responded normally. Just say 'I don't know' and be done with it.

I assume that they didn't learn each others names here because they will eventually meet again with the rest of Ash's past companions.

It does however throw away some of the ideas Ash does stuff off screen even if the current ending hints that they all do. If he was in contact with Brock off screen while in Unova, Cilan would have seen him on the video phone. Likewise, if Ash actually did tell stories of his past companions before Dawn came back, you think he'd carry around a photo or two? Even if he didn't, Pikachu can do some good impressions - I'm sure he could pull off a Brock.

Nice to see an actual female Pikachu in the anime finally.

I did like how Stunfisk seemed to finally get its moment in the sun in this episode. Crustle was awesome as well. Rest of the episode was a bit meh. Hopefully Cilan gets a decent return in Kalos.

As the last true episode of BW for the forseeable future this episode was weak. Didn't have much besides the novelty of OMG brock.

It's very disappointing that Takeshi and Dent never learn about each others' ties with Satoshi.

All we got was something along the lines of this.

Takeshi: "You remind me of a friend I used to travel with."
Dent: "You too! 8D"

Basically. Very lame.

You'd think that Cilan would remember Brock's name from when Dawn mentioned him twice. At least have a scene where the fact hits him like a ton of bricks.

You'd think that Cilan would remember Brock's name from when Dawn mentioned him twice. At least have a scene where the fact hits him like a ton of bricks.

Maybe its just me but i kinda liked how writers on purpose decided for both not to find out how they were traveling with Ash. They constantly threw out hints in form of Pikachu, cooking and similar situations Cilan/Brock experienced when traveling with Ash raising up suspicion and thinking about him and their traveling days without being able to figure out how both of them know same person. It filled episode with certain mystery and suspense giving out message how "world is small place with Ash companions being able to meet themselves without even being aware of having common thing of having common friend".

It gave certain feeling of this being writers way of foreshadowing Cilan and Brock eventual meeting again at some point in future realizing through intermediation of Ash and connection they share with him how both of them know him.
I believe one day all of Ash companions will meet each other and learn of sharing same friend or at least i hope this would happen assuming number of companions don't become too big to allow such feat.

This episode was decent. We got to see Brock and Cilan together, a bit of Cilan's journey through Johto, and an (albeit not significant) update on Brock. It was also nice to witness the Mahogany town and its layout being revisited for the first time in more than 10 years. It's only strange that we didn't learn much about the villain.

Actually, Cilan only heard Dawn referring to Brock once (the one in the Onix island, about Brock being a good cook), while the 2nd time was only shared between Dawn and Iris, so he never learned about Brock's obsession with pretty women, for one.

Also, Cilan never got a picture of Brock (he obviously couldn't "see" Dawn's flashback), so he wasn't able to recognize him when he encountered Ash's former friend. Nobody else in the town (including Brock) knew anything about Cilan either, so the connection wasn't possible. It actually looked quite realistic that way, even if all of us wanted/expected both recognizing each other.

We have to remember that during the scene where both were talking about their "former friends", they were and still are random strangers that just got involved in the town's affair. Neither had reason to suddenly be interested in who these "friends" were.

However, I must agree that Brock always omitting his name can (arguably) be considered forced. Unless subbed dialogue can clear it up, that seems to be the only likely weak point behind the whole "Brock and Cilan find each other, but not quite" story.

Also, did anyone notice how they used one of Alice's whistle pieces from Movie 10 for Pansage's GrassWhistle? The music producers sure like to bring old tunes from time to time. Maybe they miss them?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom