• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BWS02: Iris VS Ibuki! The Road to Become a Dragon Master!!

So it's been Confirmed, Iris Catches the Gible, TIME TO CELEBRATE IMO. I'm REALLY Happy about this Iris has a Gible, THIS VERY COOL IMO.

I never really understood the purpose of allowing a main character to catch a Pokemon when it will probably never be seen again.

Oh well, nothing to do about that. The Gible is male by the way, so Emolga remains the only female on Iris's team.

I never really understood the purpose of allowing a main character to catch a Pokemon when it will probably never be seen again.

Oh well, nothing to do about that. The Gible is male by the way, so Emolga remains the only female on Iris's team.

Probably to appear in XY with it. I think its the reason why this special is being aired so late.

Episode started of kinda subpar in beginning, but through middle picked up and became very good. I enjoyed in Gible mischief and funny behavior. Biting Axew head, making holes all over the town causing chaos left and right not being able to adapt to new surrounding.

Iris trying to understand its feelings and thoughts was endearing to see with whole scene of climbing on clock tower almost falling of to approach and save small dragon being admiring. She once again lived up to impression in coming of agile and athletic character. Which payed of in end giving us insight in how Gible got himself to end up in Blackthorn city(taking nap on a tree and from what it seemed accidentally ending on Scarmory back landing in town).

Encounter with Clair was pretty interesting and battle between Druddigon and Dragonite was easily highlight of episode imo. At one moment you could even get impression how Dragonite was going to win, especially when Iris sorted her thoughts deciding to connect to her pokemon feelings and inner sttength working like one. Which was definitely worthwhile invoking in Dragonite unused strength starting to overbear Clair Druddigon with thunder punch and dragon rush smashing it into the ground.
Even thoigh it was just one on one battle, intensity and lot of emotion going there made it exciting.

In end Dragonite still lost, but this was actually positive thing to me. Because it revealed how Iris still has lot to learn in becoming true dragon expert earning right to get title of dragon master assigned to her. She showed remarkable improvement but also through this episode revealed how optimal synchronization between her and dragon types haven't been achieved yet in fully understanding their feelings and internal fears or desires giving space for improvement. In realizing how to use them to maximum potential.

Gible capture at end was like icing on the cake rewarding both to Iris character and her fans making new friend and fellow partner on her journey bursting with happiness and confidence of becoming famous and recogniozed dragon expert eventually. Even more so when seeing Raiquaza gliding through sky.

Well if this show had better continuity doing continuation of replaced characters stories becoming impacting to main plot again as opposite to abandoning them, it wouldn't have to become never though.

At least that Gible will have chance to shine and show more of its strength when Iris appears in Kalos region for one time return like its been established practice with previous main characters(after that? who knows). Hopefully by than it will evolve in Gabite, or maybe Axew evolves.

Wow, they just don't give Iris a break do they.

Why is Druddigon the antithesis to Dragonite, every time?

It really should have won this battle, especially given all the hits it landed. And the fact that Clair recently caught the thing. Sheesh. Why bother with the whole "connect your hearts and mind," if she is just going to lose? I understand it gives her character development, but this doesn't reflect the Iris who eventually became Champion of Unova in the games nor the Iris who won 99 consecutive battles straight in the anime.

Not to mention, this is her special...a.k.a the second to last time we will most likely see her in the anime (the last being her seemingly obligatory cameo arc in XY). So just give her and her powerhouse Dragonite a win!

Her and her entire party are like a joke now.

This one was more entertaining than Cilan's (bore) special imo. When Iris cameo on XY I want to see her with a Gabite, I guess Axew has an everstone.

I really enjoyed this one compared to Cilan's episode. But I hope Iris has another team change before she makes an XY cameo.

This special was ok. I liked seeing Iris's progress at being able to get through and understand the hearts of Dragon types. I was disappointed that she lost to Clair, but I really liked the battle and she finally was able to connect with Dragonite.

It was funny to see Gible biting Axew's head during the episode.

I liked this special. Too bad Iris lost against Clair but atleast it was a good battle. Iris finally gotten some more character development and she caught another dragon type pokemon to add to her team.

Last edited:
I hate it when they make Ash's friends catch the same Pokemon that Ash has. We could be getting spotlight on other Pokemon instead of May getting a Bulbasaur or Squirtle, Dawn getting a Cyndaquil or Iris getting Gible.

I hate it when they make Ash's friends catch the same Pokemon that Ash has. We could be getting spotlight on other Pokemon instead of May getting a Bulbasaur or Squirtle, Dawn getting a Cyndaquil or Iris getting Gible.

I laugh when they evovle before his too. With the exception of dawns's cyndaquil

This was an okay episode. Nothing special though. I guess it can be chalked up to panic, but why didn't Iris have her Dragonite save Gible when it was about to fall from the clock? Kind of hard to take that whole dramatic scene seriously when there was such an easy solution. I don't really mind Iris losing; considering how her Dragonite is still having problems, I'd be more upset if she won, honestly. Also, Clair is only the strongest Johto Gym Leader. I'm okay with Iris getting Gible even though we'll probably never see it do anything ever because I really like seeing the protagonists getting full, more rounded teams.

Oh yeah, nice to see Axew is much of a talking prop as always.

Blackthorn City looks more like Kalos than Johtoh in this episode.

Climbin' that clock tower like it's Castlevania. Pokevania? That was a cool scene.

I liked the referree punning with the music stopping comedically, hahaha.

The battle was alright, but I was disappointed to see the return of speed lines. If they had gone with XY animation it could have turned an okay battle into a great battle - based on the Kalos-like architecture earler, I figured that's what they would do. But based on the eyecatch this is officially considered a BW episode, so they went with BW animation.

The most notable thing about this ep for me is that I actually like Iris here, whereas in the main series I found her annoying. The lack of "kodomo ne" helped a lot in that respect, and I thought her mind-reading ability was cool. If/when she shows up again in the main series I hope she acts more like she did here than in BW proper. It looks like Mega Evolutions are going to be a big deal in XY's story; I'm guessing Iris's Gible capture is to lead up to her appearing in XY with a Mega Garchomp.

I still wish Iris had evolved Axew instead of catching Dragonite. I guess it's because Axew is considered "cute and marketable", but it always struck me as more annoying than cute.

I like the parallel between Iris's mind-reading and connection with Rayquaza and Ash's Aura and connection with Ho-oh.

Overall I liked this episode, and I really hope they start doing more side character specials. If they can bring back a Johtoh gym leader of all people, they can bring back anyone.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom