• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XYS01: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I~

Re: SS029: "~ Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I

This is more or less what happens in the episode

Me said:
The special starts Credits at the start of all the special.
Mega Gyarados vs Mega Abomasnow.
Mega Mewtwo
All the Mega together while explaining it.

The logo of this special:
Pocket Monsters Mega Evolution I
First battle: Charizard vs Absol.

Charizard uses Flamethrower. Absol uses Night Slash. The two used Slash.
Absol Megaevoles into MAbsol (Mega Absol, all Mega will be noted as MPoemon). Charizard Mevolves into MCharizard-X.

Music from the XY series.

Now Charizard uses Wing Attackj. And Absol uses...?

Manon and Harimaron appear.
More Wing Attack from MCharizard-X. And now Slash. And now Flamethrower (and it's blue!).

MAbsol uses Dark Pulse. And MCharizard X uses or Blast Burn or Fire Pledge.

MAbsol is defeated and returned to be Absol.

Charizard are with Alan. Manon appears. It says that Chespin is a Platane Pokemon (I identify it). Harimaron sounds like the one of Clemont/Citron. They are talking to each other.
Manon is excited with MEvolution.
Flashbacks from Sycammore start: Alan is working in the lab study Mevolution. We are in the lab.

Garchomp appeared, a pokemon you can go Mega. A Charmander appears. Alan is bonding with ita nd this is how he got Charmander.

They are talking to the Holo Caster. This doesn't appear int he anime. Charizard returns to the Ball. Chespin uses Vine Whip to rescue Alan.

Malon appear in a mysterius building with something mysterious. There is a mysterious wall, alan uses the Mega ring on it.

And now an opponent appears.
Garchomp vs Charizard.
Charizard mevolves. And now Garchomp too into MGarchomp.

Dragon Rush form MGarchomp. And now Flamethrower. Now MCharizard X uses Dragon Claw. In fact, noth of them are using Dragon Claw. And both fall on.
Mgarchomp faints. MCharizard wins again.

We are in the last challenge of all. A Flabebe appears. Pin Missile continuously. But completely fails on it. Chespin uses toxic. Alan uses a PokeBall and got Flabebe.

Joy is congratulated for catching Flabebe. Joys saids that Zumi will appear. Zumi sees the Maga ring from Alan. And now the final Battle.

MCharizard X vs Mega Blastoise. Alan vs Zumi.

Now MCharizard X uses Dragon Claw. And now Water Pusle and Skull Bash? Now Blastoise Mega evolves. MCharizard-X uses wing Attack. MBlastoise uses an unknown move. Rsist it. MBlastoise uses Hydro POUmp. Now MBlastoise is using Focus Punch? And now Dragon Claw between each other? And now Hydro Cannon.

And MCharizard X loses. Zumi and MBlastoise wins.

The episode is about to end, they are airing a remix of Kanto music as BGM. The episode is going to end, the credits play. Remix of the opening plays.

And now Lysandre appears in the end.

For people who are worried, MCharizard X loses the final battle vs Zumi.
Sycammore appears in a flashabck. Lysandre appears in the very end of this special.

Re: SS029: "~ Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I

At least Blast Burn was finally shown in the anime.

And also Lysandre appears! So that's why the writers didn't give Siebold Mega Gyarados!

With Team Flare being an essential part of this arc, I can't wait for the other Mega Evolution specials.

Yay! Lysandre appeared! :goof: I wonder if Ash and Alan will ever encounter, it seems like this is the same Pokéverse unlike Pokémon Origins, can't wait to see this with subs,

Overall this seemed like a great special episode, I definitely want to see more!

Last edited:

R!ck said:
it seems like this is the same Pokéverse unlike Pokémon Origins

We've known that was the case for weeks, what with Ayaka's character bio and all.

Also, Manon has this rather long-ish scene where she tells Alan all about Satoshi climbing the Prism Tower to rescue Gablias.

R!ck said:
it seems like this is the same Pokéverse unlike Pokémon Origins

We've known that was the case for weeks, what with Ayaka's character bio and all.

Also, Manon has this rather long-ish scene where she tells Alan all about Satoshi climbing the Prism Tower to rescue Gablias.

That's great! I didn't know about Manon telling Alan about Ash since I watched in Japanese without subs and didn't understand a thing, can't wait to see more of these specials.

Last edited:

I have to say that I really enjoyed this, and I can't wait for Act II.

Seeing as Mannon was telling Alan about Ash, and Sycamore was talking to Alan about challenging the league in that flashback, I'm guessing we'll see Alan in the main anime as an obstacle for Ash in the league.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was that Lucario's Mega stone that Alan retrieved?

The battle scenes were fluid and the music choices were great during the Mega Evolution scenes, I just wonder if the Dub will keep them.

9.5/10.

Seeing as Mannon was telling Alan about Ash, and Sycamore was talking to Alan about challenging the league in that flashback, I'm guessing we'll see Alan in the main anime as an obstacle for Ash in the league.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was that Lucario's Mega stone that Alan retrieved?

The battle scenes were fluid and the music choices were great during the Mega Evolution scenes, I just wonder if the Dub will keep them.

9.5/10.

Well, I think Alan will become Ash's rival if Ash ever gets a pokemon with Mega Evolution. Seeing how Mega Evolution is a big part of the 6th Generation and XY series, they will probably make Alan and Ash meet once and also because Manon probably wants to meet him as well seeing how enthusiastic she seems when mentioning the Prism Tower incident.

It would be cool to see Alan and Ash in a movie together if they make another movie about Mega Evolution.

Also, Alan might've found Lucario's mega stone, maybe he will get a Mega Lucario in the future?

9.5/10.

Well, I think Alan will become Ash's rival if Ash ever gets a pokemon with Mega Evolution. Seeing how Mega Evolution is a big part of the 6th Generation and XY series, they will probably make Alan and Ash meet once and also because Manon probably wants to meet him as well seeing how enthusiastic she seems when mentioning the Prism Tower incident.

It would be cool to see Alan and Ash in a movie together if they make another movie about Mega Evolution.

Also, Alan might've found Lucario's mega stone, maybe he will get a Mega Lucario in the future?

I think it's pretty obvious that Ash will be using Charizard for his fight with Alan (If it happens) It's either that or Heracross. Although I'm still hoping that Korrina gives him one of her Lucario (Seeing as how Ash seems to have a thing for Riolu and Lucario and the whole aura concept) and he'll maybe give Ash Lucario's mega stone.

Seeing battles this action packed so early on in the series has me pumped. XY is so awesome.

Also, seeing as specials in the past seem to be mostly filler (i.e Chronicles etc) With Ash being mentioned it's safe to assume this is a canon special that's part of the main series right?

Maybe Alan is working for Lysandre?

Yay for great BGM. The League music at the beginning of the battle with Siebold was superb.

I had extreme fangasm from this. Mega Charizard X <3
Now I'm just wondering how the dub will deal with this + if the 2 Mewtwo cameo means anything for later on (and if Alan wants to truly beat ALL the mega evos, he'll have to get to them eventually)
Also, I said it long ago, but I'm even more sure now that Alan will meet Ash and battle him (Mega Charizard battle, X vs Y, which means Ash's will get the Y mega) otherwise what's the point of having Manon talk about how Sycamore told her about Ash? not to mention that since Alan lost to Seibold, he could possibly aim for the Kalos League just like Ash, since the winner gets to challenge the Elite Four and that way he can get another chance to beat Mega Blastoise (and also have some training on the way there since clearly he's not ready for the Elite Four yet)

EliteTrainerXeos said:
and Sycamore was talking to Alan about challenging the league in that flashback
Did he really? What exactly did they talk about? Is there a "true purpose" behind Alan's quest that doesn't involve his own ego?

Piplup said:
if the 2 Mewtwo cameo means anything for later on (and if Alan wants to truly beat ALL the mega evos, he'll have to get to them eventually)
He shouldn't even know that they exist. And I can only hope that they don't belong to any trainer, so I see little reason for Alan to go after them. Wanting to defeat wild legendary Pokémon is the sort of thing a villain would do.

Chespin was sooo awesome in this special.

Y U deny ash the awesome that is chespin writers. Its not like froakie couldnt have been given to clemont anyways.

Did he really? What exactly did they talk about? Is there a "true purpose" behind Alan's quest that doesn't involve his own ego?

I didn't understand all the dialogue there but it seemed to me like Alan is very interested in mega evolution and volunteered to help search for all the mega stones when Sycamore mentioned they're found all over Kalos (and he did seem to be on a hunt of one in this special, which doesn't really look like any of the currently known mega stones... so it's either a new one or a poorly adapted version of an existing one)

Piplup said:
He shouldn't even know that they exist. And I can only hope that they don't belong to any trainer, so I see little reason for Alan to go after them. Wanting to defeat wild legendary Pokémon is the sort of thing a villain would do.

At this point I don't really think "he shouldn't know they exist" holds anymore, after Movie 16 happened... sadly Mewtwo isn't THAT unheard of anymore...
The cameo made it seem like they're both wild roaming together... but in that case, I want them to do something with them even more, cause it bothers me how they can randomly change form like that without the use of a trainer / key stone / mega stone... an explanation would be appreciated (the movie fucked everything like movie 11 did with Kyurem's form change, but this special actually sticked very faithfully to how mega evolution works in game... why ruin it with this cameo? I hope there's more to it than "we had to show them all")

So is Alan one of Sycamore's assistants? An associate? Did Alan receive Charizard from him?

from what I saw in the RAW, he was a student of his or something along the lines of that.

The Charizard was raised from a Charmander he was friends with at Sycamore's lab.

(and he did seem to be on a hunt of one in this special, which doesn't really look like any of the currently known mega stones... so it's either a new one or a poorly adapted version of an existing one)
It appears to be a Latiasite.

why ruin it with this cameo? I hope there's more to it than "we had to show them all")
If it's merely a cameo, at least things can't get any worse than they already are.

Come to think of it, there was no sign of the Mega Gyarados or Abomasnow carrying a Mega Stone, was there? They're most likely wild, too, and they aren't even an exception like Mewtwo. So much for Sycamore's "Mega Evolution requires a strong bond" theory.

Last edited:

Come to think of it, there was no sign of the Mega Gyarados or Abomasnow carrying a Mega Stone, was there? They're most likely wild, too, and they aren't even an exception like Mewtwo. So much for Sycamore's "Mega Evolution requires a strong bond" theory.

I'm pretty sure neither of them were wild. Before they started battling, shadows of what most likely were their trainers could be seen in the background.

I actually liked this special way more than I originally thought I would, though that's very likely mostly due to Iwane's beautiful animation.

The battles really weren't all that spectacular as they were very short and rushed. It feels like the writers think that since they're all Mega Evolutions battling there really need to be no strategy in order for the battle to be enjoyable, but really other than the attacks looking way more awesome (like Dragon Pulse, omg) the battles weren't all that great. It's understandable though due to how three battles were forced into one episode. Hopefully the battles in the following acts will be slightly more fleshed out since the introduction of the series now at least is out of the way.

Alan is alright, I'm sure lots of people appreciate a badass protagonist, though he's personality was too bland and predictable for me to even bring myself to care for him. Manon, Ayaka, Louis and Siebold were all great though, and with the exception of Ayaka and Siebold, I wish we'd get to see more of their characters. At least we'll get some more of Ayaka in the movie. Oh, and I'm also kinda pissed at how the battle against Mega Garchomp was so short, as he besides Mega Lucario is my favorite mega.

Still, I overall thought this special was surprisingly enjoyable and am looking forward to see how it develops.

Last edited:

Yes, Mega Abomasnow and Mega Gyarados had trainers, at the beginning you can clearly see trainers commanding, it's not even difficult to spot them....

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom