• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XYS02: Mega Evolution Special II

I think this was an okay episode. Currently, I think I prefer Part 1 only because this part was so dialogue heavy for a majority of the episode.

First of all, the battle between Mega Charizard and Metagross was ok for just showing off Mega Metagross, but way too short for my tastes. It was also pretty predictable and I would have liked to see it go a bit longer. Also, Blast Burn looked a lot weaker here than in the last episode imo. I did however like how they referenced the “Trainers eyes meet, battle starts” thing.

Aw man, I loved Lysandre and Pyroar, mainly because Pyroar is one of my favorite Pokemon and Lysandre is one of my favorite villains. And of course Lysandre can pet his Pyroar’s mane while my hand gets singed in PokemonAmie:/ I was surprised to see Alain working for him though. I'm guessing that Alain doesn't know what Lysandre's true motives are, if his motives are the same as in the games or some other evil scheme, which would make sense if Lysandre's just using him for his own little plot.

The episode picked up again as soon as Rayquaza came into the scene. I wish that Lysandre would have helped battle Rayquaza with Pyroar (Unless he didn't want to because it has to do with that plan he's scheming) but whatever. It was good to see more of the Megas and have some action. I also thought that ending scene of all the newly revealed megas was pretty cool.

I don't really have anything to say about Mairin. I found her pointless and annoying in the first special and those feelings haven't changed for this one. If anything, I dislike her even more. Well, at least Chespie isn't as annoying as Clemont's Chespin. I mean, it is annoying, but only slightly less annoying than Clemont’s.

Overall, the special was okay, but not particularly interesting. Like I said, too dialogue heavy with too little action for my tastes. As I said before, I like the first special more. 6/10.

I like these specials. I think it does a lot for world-building which is generally not the focus of Ash and co.'s adventures. I hope Alain's quest ties into Ash's somehow.

I have to agree with the trainer's eyes comment being cool - it sounded like something the Pokemon Origins guys would have written in.

The pronunciation of Lesandre's name thew me off-I thought the correct French pronunciation would be "Leh-sahn-dra", not "Lye-san-der".

Two little notes I've observed in this episode

- Lysandre did not refer to Mairin as Alain's girlfriend like he did in the Japanese version. He simply called her a "sidekick."
- Lysandre's Pyroar had its Japanese voice when it confronted Mega Charizard X and Mega Metagross. However, Pyroar's voice was dubbed when it confronted Alain's Charmeleon in the flashback.

How was Steven's voice? I'm trying to hear his voice from different languages, and the English AG voice for him sounded rather old for his age from what I remember.

Apart from a few minor points of criticism, it was a great episode!

Personally, I can't see why this ep was too dialog heavy. If you ask me it was the logical sequel of the first part and a necessary introduction to the third part and that's probably why there was more talking in it than usual. Nevertheless, I would have wished that the battle at the beginning and Rayquaza's appearance in particular had lasted longer. These Pokemon are certainly some of the coolest ones and Mega Rayquaza is simply a badass monster, so if I had to criticize something then it would be that fact that 20 minutes were not enough for this episode.
And please, make Steven a bit bigger! He's a very good champion and therefore deserves to literally be greater than the villain. But enough of the nitpicking now! These specials are great episodes and I just hope Ash will be a little be more like Alain in the future!

Finally getting around to watching this one.

Steven had a great voice. The mega evolution scene for Metagross was great as well. Meteor Mash was incredible as well.

Lysandre's entrance was top notch. Chespin is still the best Pokemon in the anime.

Good episode. I assume there is a part 3 coming soon?

If I were Steven, I'd see Alain as suspect af walking round with a 12 year old girl.

Poor Alain, not realising Steven's champion. Poor me for not liking Steven's actor... and poor Pokemon fans when they ignore the fact Charizard is supposed to be unable to move after using Blast Burn.

Damn I wanted to see the end of the battle. Steven shouldn't have known what a Pyroar is, tbh. ...bloody hell Lysandre is tall!

Giant rock just makes me think OMG A GIANT ROCK from Yugioh Abridged.

Pretty bad ass special tbh, Alain going with Steven make me think they could've used Brenden/Calem

Yoshi1001 said:
The pronunciation of Lesandre's name thew me off-I thought the correct French pronunciation would be "Leh-sahn-dra", not "Lye-san-der".

You're correct. It's comforting (?) to know that TPCI's just as bad at pronouncing French names as they are at Japanese ones.

- Lysandre did not refer to Mairin as Alain's girlfriend like he did in the Japanese version. He simply called her a "sidekick."

And heck, most American cartoons have had jokes like that.

I swear, TPCi is devolving into 4Kids 2.0 (only with even worse voice acting) :-(

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom