• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XYS02: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act II~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I hate this. I can understand to some extent that Ethan and Jimmy are different characters in the anime; to me, there's as much difference between Gold and Ethan than there is between Kris and Lyra, not to mention it wasn't even a big deal since Ethan only had a cameo. However, creating a second counterpart for the same character without even changing his name or design basis, no matter how much time has passed or how poorly his first appearence was executed, is total bs.

After seeing the Latest Preview that Featured Primal Groudon, I think they are going VERY OVERBOARD with this Whole Special, because there are SOOOOOOOOOO MANY Mega's and then there's Rayquaza, then the Primal Pokemon. To Me, this is too much, this would be Better I think if it was a Movie. Small Problems but I am REALLY WORRIED about that. Nice seeing Pyroar :)

Watching the latest preview, I'm kind of worried because of that volcano eruption, I hope nothing weird happens before this special...

Ugh, I hate this. I can understand to some extent that Ethan and Jimmy are different characters in the anime; to me, there's as much difference between Gold and Ethan than there is between Kris and Lyra, not to mention it wasn't even a big deal since Ethan only had a cameo. However, creating a second counterpart for the same character without even changing his name or design basis, no matter how much time has passed or how poorly his first appearence was executed, is total bs.
Are you talking about Steven?

Because they merely changed his VA. They did not create a different Steven.

Could it be that changing the VA is also part of the promotion/advertisement? Like, something to do with the voice actor's popularity?

I'll say it again: AG!Steven was never said to be a Champion and was pretty much just a random dude. This together with giving him a new VA (which is very unusual for Japan, they even bothered to bring Jasmine's VA back after all these years to DP) makes me believe XY!Steven is a different character, just like the Jimmy/Ethan case (although sharing their name too in this case)
It's a mess, but I won't be convinced otherwise unless they'll do anything to imply this is the same AG!Steven...

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it's the same character as long as he doesn't meet Ash again. Mewtwo getting replaced was a far bigger deal, anyway.

By the way, Toshinobu Matsumiya (Game Freak's scenario writer) tweeted about the VA change. He was obviously surprised by it.

Last edited:

I believe they did. Changing his VA while his older actor is still active is a good indicator to me, specially since the new VA isn't even a sound-alike. At least so far, seems like they're ignoring the existence of Steven in the AG anime altogether.

[video=youtube_share;AlsqNdCPeqo]http://youtu.be/AlsqNdCPeqo[/video]

CHIBI STEVEN OH MY GOD HE IS SO CUTE I WANT HIM AS A PLUSHIE OMG ♥♥♥♥♥

I really like his new voice here!!

HumanDawn said:
Rintarō Nishi voice acted some anime in 2014.

"Working on other series" and "being available to work for this particular special" are two very different things.

I wouldn't be surprised if they approached him to do the role, got turned down (time reasons? monetary reasons?), and then had to find someone else.

R!ck said:
Watching the latest preview, I'm kind of worried because of that volcano eruption, I hope nothing weird happens before this special...

Like the recent eruption of Mt. Ontake?

That particular eruption is obviously not affecting this episode (we'd have heard about a postponement by now), but it *is* possible that any of the other volcanoes in Japan (there are over 100) will burst its top before then.

Though obviously OLM shouldn't be afraid to make episodes with natural disasters in them just because of a few unfortunately timed events in the past.

I believe they did. Changing his VA while his older actor is still active is a good indicator to me, specially since the new VA isn't even a sound-alike. At least so far, seems like they're ignoring the existence of Steven in the AG anime altogether.

That's not a good sign. With things like that, coupled with the second Mewtwo thing, this might mean that eventually they'll act as if Ash never traveled with Misty or Brock. Even worse, what if Ash ends up looking up a Pokemon in the Pokédex that he used to have, and acts like he's never even seen that Pokémon when he clearly owned one some time in the past? I'm afraid that the writers in charge of the Anime will forced to forgo any hope of a somewhat-stable continuity, because as of now, it sure seems that way! :scared:

The multiple series have always contradicted one another. One of these days Satoshi is not going to know what a monster he has previously met is because then it would open questions to the new audiences that those in charge of funding the show do not want to have to answer. We already saw similar in Best Wishes where Satoshi dicks his way through gym battles not because his Pokemon are physically unfit for combatting foes, but because he enters didn't fortify their minds and bodies, let alone his own.

Preview:

[video=youtube;Ez1O19aiyqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez1O19aiyqU&list=UU15vHCCdbrVJ-buudVNKymw&index=1[/video]

[video=youtube;Rko2g8dJQvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rko2g8dJQvA&list=UU15vHCCdbrVJ-buudVNKymw[/video]

lol @ chibi Steven.

With this being a 22-minute special, the plot appears to be basic and straightforward.

My guess on how the special will play out:
The narrator speaks about Mega Evolution again, with the Mega Evolution/Primal Reversion previews we've seen thus far as visuals.

Alain and Mairin are walking through the Hoenn region to fight more Mega Evolutions. They are walking near a cliff in a foggy location, and Mairin falls. Steven appears to save her, and the fog clears. Alain finds out about Steven's Mega Stone and requests to battle him. Mega Charizard X and Mega Metagross battle, and it either results in Alain's loss or the battle being cancelled halfway through. Either way, Lysandre is observing their battle, having tracked Alain all the way to the Hoenn Region with the device in his Mega Ring.

Steven tells Alain about the Hoenn legend (Primal Groudon/Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza). Lysandre comes into the picture to provide more detail about Mega Rayquaza's rainbow tablet and reveals that he knows where it's located. Alain, Steven, and Mairin follow soon after. They presumably wind up at the Sky Pillar (or some anime location related to Rayquaza) where the stone is located. Using their Key Stones, Alain and Steven call forth Rayquaza and somehow Mega Evolve it.

Lysandre comes in to take control of Mega Rayquaza, either using a device or his own Key Stone to do so. Mega Charizard X and Mega Metagross proceed to fight Mega Rayquaza, but are overwhelmed by its power. Alain, Steven, and/or Mairin turn their attention towards Lysandre. Lysandre either uses Mega Rayquaza or his Pyroar to stop the humans from overriding his control over Rayquaza. In any case, Lysandre loses his grasp on Mega Rayquaza and the Pokemon defeats Lysandre and/or his Pyroar. Mega Rayquaza reverts back to its previous form and ascends towards the skies, departing from the main characters.

Steven says his goodbyes to Alain and Mairin. Near the end of the special, Alain and Mairin (or probably Mairin alone) notice Latias and/or Latios, wondering if it/they too can Mega Evolve and chase after it/them.

Kallyle said:
That's not a good sign. With things like that, coupled with the second Mewtwo thing, this might mean that eventually they'll act as if Ash never traveled with Misty or Brock. Even worse, what if Ash ends up looking up a Pokemon in the Pokédex that he used to have, and acts like he's never even seen that Pokémon when he clearly owned one some time in the past? I'm afraid that the writers in charge of the Anime will forced to forgo any hope of a somewhat-stable continuity, because as of now, it sure seems that way!

Yuugis Black Magician said:
The multiple series have always contradicted one another. One of these days Satoshi is not going to know what a monster he has previously met is because then it would open questions to the new audiences that those in charge of funding the show do not want to have to answer. We already saw similar in Best Wishes where Satoshi dicks his way through gym battles not because his Pokemon are physically unfit for combatting foes, but because he enters didn't fortify their minds and bodies, let alone his own.

All of this based on a simple voice actor change for a character who had a minor role in an episode that aired over eleven years ago?

Son of a gun, I made a horrible typo in that post, too.

Anyway, yeah, pretty much. I'm not sure why this is something that even needs to be explained. These animated series have always been expendable. Each series runs for over a hundred episodes. "We don't need this anymore, therefore we're going to abandon it" is the mantra of damn near every franchise ever.

Last edited:
Chibi Steven is love.
Chibi Steven is life.
How could they make Steven so cute ;_;

My Internet was a bit laggy, so I didn't see it at first, but Steven was actually winking in the Kyogre preview lol! I only saw it today.

tumblr_negkn6lSJt1sq60lvo1_400.png

i want steven stone plushies for srs and i want them badly

Chibi Steven is love.
Chibi Steven is life.
How could they make Steven so cute ;_;

My Internet was a bit laggy, so I didn't see it at first, but Steven was actually winking in the Kyogre preview lol! I only saw it today.

tumblr_negkn6lSJt1sq60lvo1_400.png

i want steven stone plushies for srs and i want them badly

It just seems too out of place with his head being larger then his shoulders without the huge soul eating eyes. At least he doesnt have those annoying sparkly thingys around him or a forced and over done failed attempt at "amusing" injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom