• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XYS02: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act II~

By the way, how tall is Lysandre? He's practically towering!
He's huge, but then he is related to AZ xD
In the games I had a look as to how tall he was, he's taller then Sycamore and the one time he's stationary I put myself (so Serena/Calem) against him and only came to shoulder height.

This spin-off anime maaaay have only spiked my interest because Lysandre's in it.
He certainly knows how to make an entrance.

He certainly knows how to make an entrance.

Indeed, when his Pyroar interrupted Steven and Alain's battle I was saying to myself, "Sheesh, Lysandre, there are other ways to get someone's attention!" Speaking of his Pyroar, I'm glad that they've finally given another evil team leader besides Giovanni a Pokemon, one that actually seems like it's meant to battle at that.

Last edited:
Most eyebrow-raising moment for me was when Lysandre was able to pet his Pyroar's mane. I thought that caused burning in Amie?

I didn't finish this special because I think I'd like to save the rest for when subs are out (Fleurdelys/Lysandre speaks in such a formal fashion, I have a hard time following him as opposed to Manon's clean, if childish language and Alan's typical teenaged boy vocab), but from what I saw, I loved it~!

The first special was action-heavy and beautifully animated and while I found the characters intriguing (okay, I loved Manon and her humour and straightfoward nature, Alan was boring except when Manon drew out a bit more of his humanity and less of his... icy stoicism and broodiness, up until his flashback and the stinger with Fleurdelys, THEN, I was fascinated), it felt like all set-up and gorgeous battles, but not much else! This one is MUCH better for actually getting to see more of these characters and the way they interact! I loved the sense that they'd grown closer on their journeys together, you can see Alan has opened up a bit more. He's more expressive, less cold, and I think we can thank Manon's influence for that!

I thought the first special had gorgeous battles, but this one was even prettier! I loved the angles used, all the effects (the sun's "glare" effect is something I missed seeing in the anime, it's kind of nostalgic!), the sense of grandeur!

The score, use of colour, and angles were all very interesting and well-chosen for setting the tone of scenes that would otherwise feel very different... I rambled about it excessively on my blog, but I'll repeat a bit of it here: I think the score here is really worth pointing out. Last time, Alan just looked subtly sad while recalling memories, this time, even the score is slow and sad while he’s making that call and picks up a really ominous, sharp edge when Fleurdelys enters the scene. Also, the lighting, everything is so red, and shot from low angles that make Fleurdelys seem a very imposing figure.

It's very interesting having a protagonist who's assisting, however indirectly, such a person...
I'm still intrigued by what happened to make Alan go from someone who seemed so cheerful (and wore reasonable clothing!) under the Professor's tutelage to the way he is now.

Also, Manon proivded plenty of humour again, although now I wonder what the dub will do with that... blunt as she is, Manon kept shouting about how her butt was stuck and she couldn't move it when she fell into those branches. xDD;;; It's not extremely rude or anything, but just not something I'd expect from the English dub?

Ah, but what I'm REALLY wondering how the dub will handle is Fleurdelys' skeevy, skeevy scene where he bends down in front of her, so he's eye-level (it's cute and shows respect when Satoshi or the XY protagonists do it, but somehow, it's just creepy when he does it!) and says something to the effect of: "It seems [Alan]'s found himself an unusually small girlfriend!”

I mean, it gets the obligatory shiptease scene right off the bat (it's funny, because she was the one saying he was her type last special...), she says she's nothing like that, she's just interested in Mega Evolving, Alan reminds her she can't do that, only Pokemon can, and she snaps that she knows that already and stomps off when he tries to call her over to discuss something important ( because now he's treating her like a kid! ) ... leading to the Manon's-butt-gets-stuck-in-branches-scene-redeux.

All I'm wondering is if the dub would be alright with that considering the apparent age difference (neither of their ages are stated, but they appear to be in their late adolescence and late childhood respectively, unless she started her journey late... her voice does sound a bit mature, but-- hard to tell, you know? They're in the same universe as Satoshi, though, so the anime's beginning trainers are typically ten rule holds likely, right?). Also, regardless of the age difference, it's undoubtedly creepy that Fleurdelys asks this, isn't it?

Garrison-san, remember the race with Ponyta back in OS Kanto? I always assumed Fire Type Pokemon's flames, especially when prominently covering a part of their body at all times, were harmless to their trainers and people they choose to trust. This seems to apply to some Pokemon in Amie too. A friend informed me you can pet Chandela's flames... at any rate, the anime =/= games and these specials are still set in the same world as the TV anime, so expect differences.

Garrison-san, remember the race with Ponyta back in OS Kanto? I always assumed Fire Type Pokemon's flames, especially when prominently covering a part of their body at all times, were harmless to their trainers and people they choose to trust. This seems to apply to some Pokemon in Amie too. A friend informed me you can pet Chandela's flames... at any rate, the anime =/= games and these specials are still set in the same world as the TV anime, so expect differences.

Yes, you don't need to point that out to me. I just found it amusing is all.

I'm still intrigued by what happened to make Alan go from someone who seemed so cheerful (and wore reasonable clothing!) under the Professor's tutelage to the way he is now.
Alain wore the whole Mega Charizard X garb even before his huge personality shift, as you've probably seen in the episode. If I were to take a guess, it would probably be that that was his personal way of better "connecting" with his partner, although it is a little weird (That being said he did help me realize that you can wear a scrunchie scarf and still be a badass). Other than that, though, I'm with you on being intrigued by what caused Alain's change in character. Usually the brooder type of characters can get annoying but Alain has remained interesting for me thus far because he's much more complex than that.

Last edited:
Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!!!!!!! I just rewatched the episode and when Mega Rayquaza used Draco Meteor, it cut over to Lysandre and if you pause it quickly enough, you can see that he has a Keystone in his ring. This means he's going to have Mega Gyarados and potentially all the other Pokemon he had in-game:expect::expect::expect:!!! My interest in the anime has been officially re-solidified!

Last edited:
Alain wore the whole Mega Charizard X garb even before his huge personality shift, as you've probably seen in the episode. If I were to take a guess, it would probably be that that was his personal way of better "connecting" with his partner, although it is a little weird (That being said he did help me realize that you can wear a scrunchie scarf and still be a badass). Other than that, though, I'm with you on being intrigued by what caused Alain's change in character. Usually the brooder type of characters can get annoying but Alain has remained interesting for me thus far because he's much more complex than that.

Yeah, I noticed he changed it before that (I was under the impression the shift came later from the first special!), but I couldn't resist the urge to poke fun.

It's a bizarre get-up to be sure, but dressing similarly to signature Pokemon does seem to be a recurring theme in character designs in this series (sensibly dressed Alan still wore bright orange and yellow, to match Hitokage's colour scheme), but couldn't he have gone with a normal scarf to match Mega Lizardon's blue flames, I mean really... still, with his strength, he can wear whatever he wants, it's not like anyone can stop him~!

Aaand it looks like Alan's motivations and reasons for assisting Fleur amount to a manipulative exchange and the idea that the Professor's good name needs to be protected from being sullied by any horrible weapon that might come of this Mega Evolution research. Because the Professor would be obligated to announce his findings and they'd have repercussions! This idea that he needs to be protected might also be why Alan seems so bitter recalling the past and no longer seems to be staying in contact with him. Oops.

Last edited:
Alain's gotten stronger since we've last seen him, he held his own pretty well against a regional Champion's strongest pokemon. I wonder what this could mean for an inevitable crossover with the main series with Alain being this powerful compared to Ash and co who look pretty weak in comparison considering Ash got his ass kicked by Astrid who Alain beat like a drum and how Ash couldn't even touch Diantha's Gardevoir even without it mega evolving. Mega Rayquaza is damn awesome and it seems like Lysandre will have more influence than what Ghetsis had which will be great if they can pull a good story and climax out of it. This episode seemed more like a setup to side plots that will be explored latter, can't wait to see where this goes.

Finally got to see it with full subs, and it was much fascinating than I expected. The story is tied with the legend of Rayquaza from the games. I am very much excited to see the next act :3

Since I found the episode subbed, I finally know what's going on.

Lysandre currently shows no evil traits. Without knowing what he was saying, in the flashback he appeared exceedingly evil. Now I know what he was saying, I can understand why he doesn't want Alain to share information with Sycamore (he explained that Sycamore would publish the findings in good faith, only for the finding to be used for evil. So he doesn't want Sycamore to have to go through that). He also wants Alain to get stronger (this does seem pretty accurate as Lysandre in the games is always interested in your strength and progress), so he wasn't just being a douche to Alain when he appears with the Ampharosite.

Lysandre's intentions seem kinda weird at the moment, he claims to be researching the energy for 'peaceful' purposes... but as we know in the games, his idea of peace is very different...

Since I believe Lysandre will be a good guy (if he's not dead that is) in the next Kalos games, what he is saying in this episode may be true...

Alain's gotten stronger since we've last seen him, he held his own pretty well against a regional Champion's strongest pokemon. I wonder what this could mean for an inevitable crossover with the main series with Alain being this powerful compared to Ash and co who look pretty weak in comparison considering Ash got his ass kicked by Astrid who Alain beat like a drum and how Ash couldn't even touch Diantha's Gardevoir even without it mega evolving. Mega Rayquaza is damn awesome and it seems like Lysandre will have more influence than what Ghetsis had which will be great if they can pull a good story and climax out of it. This episode seemed more like a setup to side plots that will be explored latter, can't wait to see where this goes.
Ash lost to Astrid because she Mega-Evolved her Absol (something I thought was incredibly cheap btw) and he never finished his battle with Diantha. But otherwise, yeah, you have a point, he can't just keep getting lucky like he'd did in the battle with Korrina and get with the program (i.e. get a Mega Evolution) if he's going to win in the end. I also agree with you on the whole Lysandre plot, it actually seems like they're going to do both him and his team justice, especially when I got a close-up of his ring (go back to the episode, skip ahead to the part with Mega Rayquaza, pause it right after it uses Draco Meteor and you'll know what I'm talking about) ;).

Lysandre currently shows no evil traits. Without knowing what he was saying, in the flashback he appeared exceedingly evil. Now I know what he was saying, I can understand why he doesn't want Alain to share information with Sycamore (he explained that Sycamore would publish the findings in good faith, only for the finding to be used for evil. So he doesn't want Sycamore to have to go through that). He also wants Alain to get stronger (this does seem pretty accurate as Lysandre in the games is always interested in your strength and progress), so he wasn't just being a douche to Alain when he appears with the Ampharosite.

Lysandre's intentions seem kinda weird at the moment, he claims to be researching the energy for 'peaceful' purposes... but as we know in the games, his idea of peace is very different...

Since I believe Lysandre will be a good guy (if he's not dead that is) in the next Kalos games, what he is saying in this episode may be true...
I think he's saying that because he doesn't want any suspicion to be drawn toward him. As for why he doesn't want Alain to relay any of his findings back to the Professor, that's probably so then he'd have the research to himself. Then there's Alain, after rewatching the episode with subs, I had somewhat of an epiphany: The reason why he's changed his means of receiving research to battling all the Mega Evolutions was because Lysandre instilled that mindset in him to speed up his own agenda, though it causes some pretty dramatic changes to Alain's personality. All this and his conversation with Alain at the end of the episode, to me, are signs that he's playing the role of the manipulator, and I have to give him credit, he's doing a pretty damn good job of it so far. Besides, I find it hard to believe that he's good after watching that flashback, especially that evil smile.

Last edited:

I think he's saying that because he doesn't want any suspicion to be drawn toward him. As for why he doesn't want Alain to relay any of his findings back to the Professor, that's probably so then he'd have the research to himself. Then there's Alain, after rewatching the episode with subs, I had somewhat of an epiphany: The reason why he's changed his means of receiving research to battling all the Mega Evolutions was because Lysandre instilled that mindset in him to speed up his own agenda, though it causes some pretty dramatic changes to Alain's personality. All this and his conversation with Alain at the end of the episode, to me, are signs that he's playing the role of the manipulator, and I have to give him credit, he's doing a pretty damn good job of it so far. Besides, I find it hard to believe that he's good after watching that flashback, especially that evil smile.

Yes, that's also the problem. I did indeed think there are two sides to what Lysandre is saying... As we know he's a villain in the games everything he says comes across pretty bad, and the way the camera treats him certainly is like a villain.

I'll just have to wait until the next episode... as the next game after ORAS will probably be announced around the same time. I personally don't know if Lysandre is wanting to push Alain to be stronger because he's nice or, like you've said, is just manipulating him. I personally don't know what to think of Lysandre in the anime currently...

Ash lost to Astrid because she Mega-Evolved her Absol (something I thought was incredibly cheap btw) and he never finished his battle with Diantha. But otherwise, yeah, you have a point, he can't just keep getting lucky like he'd did in the battle with Korrina and get with the program (i.e. get a Mega Evolution) if he's going to win in the end. I also agree with you on the whole Lysandre plot, it actually seems like they're going to do both him and his team justice, especially when I got a close-up of his ring (go back to the episode, skip ahead to the part with Mega Rayquaza, pause it right after it uses Draco Meteor and you'll know what I'm talking about) ;).

Luck wasn't the only factor in his gym battle. From what we've seen Korrina is young and while she can control her Lucario's mega form they're still very inexperienced using it, plus the rest of her team were a bunch of jobbers so it was really a 3 vs 1 battle. Put Ash against someone with more experience battling with a mega and he'll fall faster than a Paras fighting a Ho-oh. If he lost like this to Astrid imagine how bad he'll be against Lysandre who's likely to be very experienced with his mega Gyarados due to his age and interest in mega evolution.

What worries me about an inevitable cross over is that Ash and co's appearance will feel gratuitous and in the worst case scenario they'll get their butts handed to them by Team Flare grunts like they did against Team Plasma. I'm pretty psyched that they're setting up Lysandre to be like an arch enemy for Alain with how personal things will get when he inevitably does they whole betrayal thing but I find it kind of funny that Ash the main character of the anime is probably not gonna beat the region's Big Bad. It would be like if in Star Wars Han Solo is the one to beat Darth Vader instead of Luke Skywalker. In that case you begin to wonder who the real main character is in this situation.

Luck wasn't the only factor in his gym battle. From what we've seen Korrina is young and while she can control her Lucario's mega form they're still very inexperienced using it, plus the rest of her team were a bunch of jobbers so it was really a 3 vs 1 battle. Put Ash against someone with more experience battling with a mega and he'll fall faster than a Paras fighting a Ho-oh. If he lost like this to Astrid imagine how bad he'll be against Lysandre who's likely to be very experienced with his mega Gyarados due to his age and interest in mega evolution.

What worries me about an inevitable cross over is that Ash and co's appearance will feel gratuitous and in the worst case scenario they'll get their butts handed to them by Team Flare grunts like they did against Team Plasma. I'm pretty psyched that they're setting up Lysandre to be like an arch enemy for Alain with how personal things will get when he inevitably does they whole betrayal thing but I find it kind of funny that Ash the main character of the anime is probably not gonna beat the region's Big Bad. It would be like if in Star Wars Han Solo is the one to beat Darth Vader instead of Luke Skywalker. In that case you begin to wonder who the real main character is in this situation.
Good point in both regards. And now that you mention the TF climax, I'm sort of stuck in the middle in terms of who's going to be in the final battle. On one side, Alain has known about Lysandre up to this point and thus the buildup pays off. On the other hand, though, it's excluding the protagonist from fighting the big bad, which just makes no sense. One of three things needs to happen if this is gonna be amended: Either Ash gets a Mega Evolution before he's 3/4 of the way through his badge collecting, Alain has a revelation about his boss' plan, or Lysandre begins to make more recurring appearances in either the specials or the regular anime, which would solidify who is the more likely candidate.

Last edited:

Good point in both regards. And now that you mention the TF climax, I'm sort of stuck in the middle in terms of who's going to be in the final battle. On one side, Alain has known about Lysandre up to this point and thus the buildup pays off. On the other hand, though, it's excluding the protagonist from fighting the big bad, which just makes no sense. One of three things needs to happen if this is gonna be amended: Either Ash gets a Mega Evolution before he's 3/4 of the way through his badge collecting, Alain has a revelation about his boss' plan, or Lysandre begins to make more recurring appearances in either the specials or the regular anime, which would solidify who is the more likely candidate.

It's still probably going to be Alain fighting Lysandre. They've done everything to set it up by now. Plus Alain wants to defeat every mega and Lysandre has a pretty strong one in waiting. Thematically it's also appropriate as Mega Gyarados can be seen like a "evil" counterpart of Mega Charizard X in that they are both draconic Kanto pokemon that are not dragons but are flying types but one turns into a dragon the other becomes more of a monster. I doubt Ash will get mega capabilities because Ash's role is to advertise the new generation pokemon, Alain is the one to advertise the mega evolutions. It's unlikely Ash would stand a chance against Lysandre even with a type advantage since he's a pretty mediocre trainer and Alain seems to be few notches below an Elite 4 member going by his battle with Steven. The best Ash and co can do is hold off Team Flare and even then I have doubts they can do that, one of the admins owns a Malamar and we've seen how well Ash and co can handle themselves against one of those.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lysandre will show his true colors and when Alain finds out he'll looking for blood for deceiving him. Lysandre will probably appear multiple times throughout the season but there can be only one climactic showdown so they better make it count.

It's still probably going to be Alain fighting Lysandre. They've done everything to set it up by now. Plus Alain wants to defeat every mega and Lysandre has a pretty strong one in waiting. Thematically it's also appropriate as Mega Gyarados can be seen like a "evil" counterpart of Mega Charizard X in that they are both draconic Kanto pokemon that are not dragons but are flying types but one turns into a dragon the other becomes more of a monster. I doubt Ash will get mega capabilities because Ash's role is to advertise the new generation pokemon, Alain is the one to advertise the mega evolutions. It's unlikely Ash would stand a chance against Lysandre even with a type advantage since he's a pretty mediocre trainer and Alain seems to be few notches below an Elite 4 member going by his battle with Steven. The best Ash and co can do is hold off Team Flare and even then I have doubts they can do that, one of the admins owns a Malamar and we've seen how well Ash and co can handle themselves against one of those.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lysandre will show his true colors and when Alain finds out he'll looking for blood for deceiving him. Lysandre will probably appear multiple times throughout the season but there can be only one climactic showdown so they better make it count.
Well, I guess we'll just have to wait, speculate, and see!

P.S. I'm so sorry about the unintentional rhyme I made, that was just awful ;).

Last edited:
So I recently found this very in-depth analysis of the Mega Evolution special thus far, and I must say that it's one of the most well thought out reviews of a TV episode I've ever seen. I highly recommend that you all check it out before the dub airs this Saturday, because trust me when I say this: you won't look at this special the same way again.

In which Cass is the anonest anon that ever anon'd

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom