• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XYS03: Mega Evolution Special III

I always love Mega Evolution Specials and this time was no different. The battle between the three giants was simply great and action-packed but I especially liked Mega Rayquaza which was so breath-takingly strong that it singlehandedly defeated two(!) legendary Pokemon. Definitely one of the strongest Pokemon ever!

There's one thing I have to criticize though: Steven has never appeared to be distrustful of Lysander, neither in part 2 nor in part 3. In part 2 he willingly cooperated with him without being suspicious in the least bit and this time, Steven's only reaction was being a little bit surprised that Lysander took the giant rock. But there was no attempt whatsoever from Steven's side to get it back. I mean you could clearly see that Lysander stole it (much to the dismay of Rayquaza btw) and still Steven didn't really get suspicious. Thinking back to Sinnoh, I still remember Cynthia becoming more and more suspicious of Cyrus from Team Galactic as time was going by. just saying...

Anyways, a great episode and I don't know what a fan could expect more.

This part was definitely better than the last and it might be my new favorite.

I love how Lysandre just asks if the world will be destroyed with such a careless monotone voice. Legendary Giant Rock…well that’s a creative name:/ Why on earth would Steven want Mairin to go with them? What the hell can she do? Whether Alain means it or not, Mairin really is a nuisance and a dumb one at that. Seriously, asking Chespie to use Ice Beam? I can’t even anymore. Who the hell doesn't know what moves their own Pokemon knows?

The battle between the Hoenn legends was amazing. Primal Groudon in particular was so damn badass destroying everyone. I loved the scene when he threw Kyogre. Mega Rayquaza was also pretty cool defeating the other two with one hit. Primal Kyogre...honestly, he just seemed to get thrashed throughout most of the battle. But anyway, I also really liked when Alain got out of the plane to get Charizard after he was hit by Groudon's attack (which looked awesome by the way). I still immensely dislike Mairin, but I'll give her some props for finally doing something useful in getting Alain out of the danger zone between the legends. But seriously Steven, why offer to bring her along with you when you know Alain said he thought it was too dangerous:/ Why does he want to bring her everywhere? Ugh. Well, at least Alain is doing some more mega on mega battling. I do wish we could have seen more of Lysandre though.

I'll give this a 8/10. Alain, Charizard, Mega Rayquaza and Primal Groudon were awesome.

\Seriously, asking Chespie to use Ice Beam? I can’t even anymore. Who the hell doesn't know what moves their own Pokemon knows?

I don't think its fair to criticize someone for not knowing EVERY single move a single Pokemon can learn.

Even I don't know every move Chespin can learn, plus with all these weird moves that Pokemon can actually learn, like how almost all Pokemon can learn toxic, I actually think it's an honest mistake for Marin to think Chespin can learn ice beam. Especially since she's kind of a newbie trainer, and basically only started just to end up traveling with Alain.

So I don't see how she would know better.

I mean Emboar can use Scald for crying out loud. And it's literally the only weird Pokemon that can learn it, and pretty much the only fire type that can learn it as well.

Volcanion can learn it as well, but I don't count Volcanion because it is part water.

So I just chalk it up to Marin not actually knowing better rather than because she's stupid and therefore in the way.

Arceus, that was awesome. That everything Kyogre vs. Groudon SHOULD have been in AG, but didn't even TRY to be! :-D

Though I DO wish they'd thrown in some cameos by Mr. Stone and/or Roxanne while they were in the neighborhood. At the very least you think they could've drawn them in the crowd watching the battle...

Last edited:
\Seriously, asking Chespie to use Ice Beam? I can’t even anymore. Who the hell doesn't know what moves their own Pokemon knows?

I don't think its fair to criticize someone for not knowing EVERY single move a single Pokemon can learn.

Even I don't know every move Chespin can learn, plus with all these weird moves that Pokemon can actually learn, like how almost all Pokemon can learn toxic, I actually think it's an honest mistake for Marin to think Chespin can learn ice beam. Especially since she's kind of a newbie trainer, and basically only started just to end up traveling with Alain.

So I don't see how she would know better.

I mean Emboar can use Scald for crying out loud. And it's literally the only weird Pokemon that can learn it, and pretty much the only fire type that can learn it as well.

Volcanion can learn it as well, but I don't count Volcanion because it is part water.

So I just chalk it up to Marin not actually knowing better rather than because she's stupid and therefore in the way.

I agree. Pokemon movesets are always expanding with each generation. While it does seem outlandish for a Chespin to use Ice Beam...well it's no better than a Squirtle using Aura Sphere.

Very, very well animated battle scene. I am just annoyed with Steven though, all of a sudden he just came across as naive, and disillusioned.

I hope Lysandre continues to be this cool, and ends up crossing into the main anime with Alain. His voice actor is one of my favourites so far, and I can't wait to see/hear him get angry, or even have his true intentions revealed, it had me so intrigued.

They did show where the scientists and him were working though, and it looked like Kalos but it certainly wasn't the Power Plant (just my theory that that's where that scene with the green blobs takes place in IV, as it seems circular like the power plants in the Badlands). So if their moving to some kind of 'lab' for IV, I don't know where it will be now... I just hope IV does this thing justice in 20 minutes.

I hope that in the next and final instalment, that they are able to bring this special series to an understandable ending, and not leave us hanging for so long (if it's going to cross over to the main).

I agree with one of the posters above, Marin is so annoying, get rid of her. She does absolutely nothing all day, but get in the way, she has a Chespin and thinks that qualifies her for the big leagues dealing with all the megas and legendary megas/primals.

I'm sure the only reason they put her in the Mega Evo specials is to make Bonnie look good in the main series.
Seriously, what does this girl do, what does she contribute? I remember being annoyed in DpPt when Brock did a grand total of nothing, but at least he had the decency to remain silent and out of the way. She has the most annoying voice (can't believe people complain about Hoopa and not her) she gets in the way, she knows a grand total of zero about Pokemon, like even below the standard of a beginner, wouldn't be surprised if in #4 she tells Chespin it's time to digivolve. She just needs to be got rid of immediately. Why is she there?

/End Rant

I agree with one of the posters above, Marin is so annoying, get rid of her. She does absolutely nothing all day, but get in the way, she has a Chespin and thinks that qualifies her for the big leagues dealing with all the megas and legendary megas/primals.

I'm sure the only reason they put her in the Mega Evo specials is to make Bonnie look good in the main series.
Seriously, what does this girl do, what does she contribute? I remember being annoyed in DpPt when Brock did a grand total of nothing, but at least he had the decency to remain silent and out of the way. She has the most annoying voice (can't believe people complain about Hoopa and not her) she gets in the way, she knows a grand total of zero about Pokemon, like even below the standard of a beginner, wouldn't be surprised if in #4 she tells Chespin it's time to digivolve. She just needs to be got rid of immediately. Why is she there?

/End Rant
I'm sorry but I completely disagree here, Marin is not a annoying useless character like you describe her to be, in fact she is miles better than Bonnie at this point as he actually develops and actually helps other characters(like Alain grow as well). Her main purpose is actually to break Alain out of his shell and make him back to the person he once was beofe he got brainwashed by Lysandre. Did you even watch the scene carefully where Marin challenges Alain and convinces him not to go to fight the primals, it shows how much she cares about Alain.

Plus did you see how she and Chespin defended a Ice Beam from Kyogre just to protect Alain, without her Alain would be long dead by now due to his recklessness and stubborn personality. Its pretty much Marin who keeps Alain under somewhat of a control and make shim let out his emotions. In fact she is a way more realistic character than Bonnie and her relationship with Alain is fantastic which the same can't be said for Bonnie.

So in short Marin is NOT a useless character and actually helps the characters and story move forward.

*literally saves Alain's life*
*is called useless and annoying*

Yeah...no. Without Mairin, Alain would probably be dead by now.

Mega Rayquaza has literally been in these specials for less than five minutes and it's already destroyed that place from Act 2 and blown back Primal Groudon AND Primal Kyogre with a single Dragon Ascent. Just so... savage! :eek:

Only thing I really had to complain about from the dub's version was calling it "the giant rock", what's so hard about calling it a Megalith or something. :/ While I've said in the past that Steven's dub voice annoys me I honestly didn't have a problem with it this time around and I have no idea why...

Only thing I really had to complain about from the dub's version was calling it "the giant rock", what's so hard about calling it a Megalith or something.

Mairin: Oh my God, a giant rock!
Alain: Yes. Clearly it was my destiny to behold this giant rock.

It's not that she doesn't know everything Chespin as a species can learn. It's the fact that she seemed not to know that her own Chespin didn't know the move. She said it like she 100% knew (or thought) Chespie knew Ice Beam.

After watching the Special Antoine Dodson had a special message for Marin.

You-are-so-dumb-you-are-really-dumb-fo-real.jpeg

As for saving his life, must have missed that part, if she did I am sure they could have had Steven or someone else do it. Not some girl who thinks her brand new chespin has ice beam. Like if she said Solarbeam at least it would be slightly forgiveable.

She ruins the whole special for me, personally i dont see her as vital to the plot, if she is because she saved Alain, get someone else.

Are people aware that Mairin told Chespin to use Ice Beam because it was getting increasingly warm?

Are people aware that Mairin is a rookie, a mere beginner?

And what purpose would Solarbeam have in that situation, @Azuro; ? She needed something to cool her down.

Besides, the moment was more of a comic relief moment than anything, so I have no idea why it would annoy anyone so much that they would rather be annoyed over a joke than be astonished by a courageous act performed by the said character (risking her life and saving Alain's).

Oh well, I guess saving one's life isn't important enough. It's not like Alain, the protagonist of these specials, getting to live is vital to the plot or anything.

Are people aware that Mairin told Chespin to use Ice Beam because it was getting increasingly warm?

Are people aware that Mairin is a rookie, a mere beginner?

And what purpose would Solarbeam have in that situation, @Azuro; ? She needed something to cool her down.

Besides, the moment was more of a comic relief moment than anything, so I have no idea why it would annoy anyone so much that they would rather be annoyed over a joke than be astonished by a courageous act performed by the said character (risking her life and saving Alain's).

Oh well, I guess saving one's life isn't important enough. It's not like Alain, the protagonist of these specials, getting to live is vital to the plot or anything.

I agree, and I genuinely laughed when she said it lol. I didn't laugh at her and get annoyed, then use that as an example of not liking her.

I hope if time allows (which I doubt), that Mairin will also have some cute comedic moments, or even an emotional one with the green blob. I think having her their also helps the story to have it's reality check moments, letting us know that not everything has to be so serious. Some find it annoying and stupid of her to want to travel with Alain and get involved in everything, but she has been seen to be very brave in Saturday's special.

I think her saving Alain was also meant to evoke something in the audience, that would sit well and keep it going. I would of been annoyed myself if Steven had gone to save him, because to me, that's not in his character (Metagross is his way of dealing with things outside of the box). It all blended well and I enjoy Mairin.

OMG A GIANT ROCK

I expected us to get the next in Ash'a journey but I can wait!

Quality battle between the three beasts, good development between Alain and Mairin and it leads me to think Lysander will start some evil stuff soon with that OMG A GIANT ROCK. I look forward to a part four.

I don't mind Marian, I just wish she'd get some other Pokemon or at least have her Chespin evolve. It just battled a Kyogre sort of how's it still in form 1!?

For that matter I'd like to see something that isn't Mega Charizard from Alain.

You also gotta have someone to shop with Alain.

Last edited:
Watching this special, even more so than the previous ones, gives me more of the vibe from the games than from the anime. This isn't a bad thing, it's just different.

The special effects with Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Mega Rayquaza, as well as the crystallized giant rock were AMAZING. Did Team Kato animate this?

And lol, Chespin and Ice Beam?

The ending was quite suspenseful. Too bad it'll probably be half a year before we see the fourth act dubbed.

And they're pushing Alain/Mairin almost as much as Ash/Serena. Just...wow.

I agree with those who feel that Mairin is NOT useless. Granted, this is the first Mega Evolution special I've seen (since I thought I was going to watch the Noibat episode, but decided to stay with it), but I feel she's a key of sorts. She's a key to unlock who Alain really is, not the "soldier" that Lysander has turned him into. Every little bit she does slowly opens his true self back into the world, slowly shedding Lysander's "programmed" lies with each step. I mean, if a 10 year-old rookie trainer is willing to risk her life to help him, willingly diving into the fray of three god-like beasts brawling, and on her own power protecting him the best she can (which proved to be quite a bit), I say that's pretty major. She's not useless, not at all, as everything she does will slowly remove the shackles that hold Alain's real personality down. I think she'll be the catalyst in getting Alain to see the light and be a part of shutting (or at least delaying) Lysander's plans (the latter seems more accurate, as it will eventually cross over into Ash's "world"). So, no, Mairin is not useless. What she does may seem small at times, but everything adds up. Alain even gave her a genuine, albeit hesitant at first, hug when she hugged him out of worry. So Mairin's presence is essential to these specials, making her NOT useless.

Now that I've got that off my chest, moving on to the rest of the special. The battle was utterly epic. Primal VS Primal was quite the showdown to begin with, but throw in that awesome finisher from M-Rayquaza and you got a battle for the ages. And, despite my hatred for the species, seeing Mega Metagross dishin' out a few shots itself was quite impressive. I do wish Alain would use something OTHER than M-Charizard X, but whatever, not like that'll happen anytime soon (though maybe when he crosses paths with Ash we might get some other Mons, but we'll see). Still, an epic battle. And, truthfully, seeing where the battle was, seeing Roxanne would've been nice little touch, maybe her keeping the crowds calm. I must admit I'm surprised at Steven's almost unconditional trust to Lysander. You'd think he'd be at least a little more suspicious. Not quite as good of a portrayal of him compared to his ORAS counterpart. That's probably the only real negative thing I can come up with.

So, all in all, I give it a solid 9.5/10.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom