• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Stainless Steel; or, Steven Stone's Adventures in Hoenn

Lugion

I like to singa
Reaction score
Here we are, dear friends, on the threshold of an old (but new) adventure. Here, I am documenting Steven Stone's transformation from spoiled rich boy to fire-forged Champion, a journey that put many on their own paths to greatness, and others on paths into infamy. It is a tale of strife and struggle, failure and triumph, love and loss.

And all that jazz.

Anyways, this is a heavy revision of the earlier version of the same story written by the same (impeccably handsome) man: yours truly. I hope you all enjoy!

Contents:
Chapter One: The Runaway
Chapter Two: The Sun Rises
Chapter Three: Petalburg Woods
Chapter Four: A Mad Dash
Chapter Five: The Sourest Taste
Chapter Six: Miss Carolyn's Crash Course

Chapter Seven: Tea Time
Chapter Eight: Mangrove Research Laboratory
Chapter Nine: The Usurper of the Dead
Chapter Ten: The Modern Prometheus

Chapter Eleven: Dreams and Dust

Chapter One: The Runaway

Rustboro City was, perhaps, not as bustling and lively as some would have liked. In fact, “City” may have been a misnomer; the city was home to a few thousand and no more, and was as quiet and laid-back as a city may be. Furthermore, it might not have such a distinguishing mark on maps as it did without the employment opportunities offered by the man who owned the lavish mansion on the northeastern outskirts of the city.

A grand driveway led up from the road, flanked by rows of shrubbery on both sides, right up to the arc of a concrete sidewalk, before looping around an ornate marble fountain and doubling back on itself. The sidewalk curved around much of the loop, with three branches leading to a maze, the house, and a pond, respectively. The path leading to the house passed through a garden of beautiful and fragrant flowers before arriving at the front porch, where several bird Pokémon dwelt in tiny houses built for them and flocked around feeders.

Despite all of its grandeur, and the sheer size of the property, there were few permanent residents. Only Mr. Stone himself, his son, Steven, and the family butler, Basil, lived in the house at all times. A few staff members, such as the maids, gardeners, and Jacques, the cook, commuted from the city, and Mr. Stone occasionally entertained important guests inside, insisting they stay away from Rustboro's “shady” hotels.

Young Steven, a boy of fifteen, laid back on his king-size bed, staring up at the high vaulted ceiling of his bedroom. Earlier, the cuckoo clock out in the hall had announced the hour, with a tiny wooden Taillow popping out on its equally tiny wooden platform and calling out three times. He sighed and sat up before pulling on the shirt he'd laid out next to himself. His silvery hair was still not quite dry, and had left a damp spot on his comforter, but he decided to let it dry. Or let Basil take care of it.

Beldum floated down from above him, staring at him with its single red eye as usual. It let out a high-pitched chime that Steven easily interpreted as cheerful. “Yeah, buddy. I'm pretty excited for the big match too, but it's still not for a while,” Steven said, patting the steel-type on the head. “But Miss Carolyn left, so all that time until then is free.”

Miss Carolyn, Steven's private tutor, left every day at precisely three o'clock, after walking him through his academic lessons in the mornings and his physical training in the afternoon. “To train the mind, one must train the body as well,” she always said.

So, after Miss Carolyn had left, Steven had showered and was now ready for his afternoon of... something...

“What do you wanna do, Beldum?” Steven asked.

Beldum hesitated for a moment, as if it were thinking. It chimed again, wiggling its three toes and turning its head toward the door.

“All right, let's go,” Steven said. He slipped into some tennis shoes and stepped out of his bedroom door, with Beldum floating close behind. The two passed some maids in the hall, who were working on dusting some old portraits, and entered the kitchen, where Jacques was deftly slicing a large slab of meat into manageable portions.

“Going out?” the old man said, not looking up from his work.

“Yup,” Steven said, smiling. “Beldum wants to go for a walk.” Beldum chimed happily.

“All right. Be careful out there. You know how your father gets,” Jacques said, still focused intently on the meat.

“I will!” Steven said, darting out through the exterior kitchen door.

*****​

Steven could feel his messy hair being ruffled in the warm, light breeze, and smell the subtle fragrance of all sorts of flowers in the air. The rippling surface of the large pond glittered in the afternoon sunlight. A few Lotad meandered around on the surface, drifting on the wind currents and bumping into each other occasionally, while a small school of Magikarp whizzed by underneath, their ruddy scales gleaming in the sun. A Psyduck waddled up to Steven's side, and he knelt down and patted it on the head. He reached into his pocket and produced a handful of small brown pellets, which the Psyduck wolfed down before quacking happily and diving into the water.

And then a boy fell out of the tree Steven was standing under.

Steven couldn't help but stand there, completely dumbfounded, as the boy climbed back to his feet, groaning and wiping the dirt off of his turquoise shirt. He glared at Steven with cold blue eyes but said nothing.

“And... who are you, exactly?” Steven said after a few moments of staring.

The boy scoffed, turning up his nose, placing his fists on his hips, and puffing out his chest. “I am the greatest apprentice of Sootopolis City's Gym Leader, Juan. My name is Wallace, and I'm sure you've heard of me,” the boy announced.

Steven shook his head. “Nope, doesn't ring a bell,” he said. Beldum gave a low chime of agreement.

Wallace frowned and sighed, shoulders slumping. “I was afraid of that. But no matter! You're a trainer, yes? I'll show you exactly who I am! Feebas, let's go!” Wallace dropped a Poké Ball to the ground, from which appeared a spotty brown fish with tattered blue fins.

Steven's eyes widened and he shook his head and put his hands up defensively. “Hey, wait a minute, I'm not a train-”

“Feebas!” Wallace called. “Use your Tackle attack!”

Really, it was pure instinct running through Steven's brain when he said: “Beldum, dodge and counter with Iron Head.”

Feebas seemed to squash itself for a moment, but then it sprang into the air from its spot on the ground. Beldum simply moved out of Feebas's path and knocked it out of the air with a headbutt. Feebas fell to the ground and flopped around feebly.

Wallace growled, and sparks seemed to fly out of his blue eyebrows. “All right Feebas, it's time to end this! Give Beldum a taste of our special maneuver!”

Steven waited and watched as Feebas waggled its fins, righting itself on the ground, and then remained completely still for a few moments. Beldum glanced back at Steven with a blank look in its eye. Steven shrugged.

“Now!” Wallace cried, thrusting his finger into the sky.

Feebas flopped back onto its side and began to flail around, splashing a small amount of water onto Steven's shoes.

“Well, it certainly sounded impressive at first...” Steven suggested.

Wallace's head drooped to his chest and he turned away, returning Feebas to its Poké Ball. “Don't patronize me. We've been working on this move for weeks.”

Steven and Beldum looked at each other, and then back at Wallace. “So, why are you training a Pokémon like that anyway?”

Wallace sighed. “Master Juan said that if I could make a Pokémon like Feebas beautiful, I would become a master of the elegant Water-type. I've been trying everything: feeding it Pokéblocks, making it battle, training with it, devising strategies...” He shrugged and rolled his eyes in exasperation. “I've been journeying around all over the place trying to accomplish that, but it's all been for nothing so far...”

“Well,” Steven said, holding his chin between his thumb and forefinger, “maybe there's something you just haven't tried yet.”

Wallace just shrugged again.

“Hey, wait a minute—how'd you get in here?” Steven asked. “My dad's so paranoid, there's tons of security all over the place.”

Wallace turned around, putting his hands on his hips. “Well, some old man told me that there was a hole under the fence somewhere around here.” He gestured vaguely toward the fence, which was buried in thick green foliage. “He said I might find someone who could show me a thing or two about raising Pokémon.”

Steven thought for a moment. “Huh. I'm not sure who that would be. There's my teacher, but she left about half an hour ago.”

“Dang it,” Wallace said, crossing his arms and puffing out his lower lip. “What am I supposed to do now?”

Steven and Beldum glanced at each other again. “Well, you could come back to the house with me. I don't think Dad would like it, but he won't be home again for a while. I can call Miss Carolyn and see if she'll come back for you.”

Wallace shook his head. “No, thanks. I think if that old guy meant it was a teacher, he would've given me her address or something. I think I'm gonna run back to the Pokémon Center and figure out what my next move is gonna be...”

Steven shrugged. “Well, all right,” he said.

“By the way,” Wallace said, “you're Mr. Stone's son, aren't you?”

Steven frowned, crossed his arms over his chest, and rolled his eyes. “That's what everyone calls me, anyway.”

“What's your name?”

Steven couldn't help but let a smile begin to form on his lips. “Steven.”

“Well, Steven, it was nice to meet you. I bid you adieu for now,” Wallace said with a bow, before turning and running back off in the apparent direction of the hole.

“Good to meet you, too, Wallace!” Steven yelled, waving.

*****​

A few hours later, the sun was sinking slowly lower and lower in the sky. As he laid back on his bed, hands folded together behind his head, and stared up at the ceiling, Steven could feel the pounding of his heart. What Wallace said had stirred something deep inside him... “I've been journeying all over the place...”

Just like all of the really powerful Pokémon trainers. “Wallace may just be a beginner, but if he really travels all over Hoenn, he'll end up just as strong as the Gym Leaders...” He sat up, and grinned widely at Beldum, who chimed happily. “Just imagine it, getting to see all the sights! Getting my name out there, too. If I do something that big, people will know exactly who I am, not just who my father is.”

Beldum let out a low cry.

“Yeah, it does sound like a lot of fun,” Steven agreed.

He could hear the front door open as Mr. Stone arrived home. Basil gave him the usual greeting. Steven could hardly stand the excitement, feeling it almost bursting from every vein. He leaped up from the bed, tore through the bedroom door, and sprinted down the hall, nearly crashing into his father, dressed in his usual formal attire, in the entrance hall.

“Steven! It's good to see you too, boy, but you really shouldn't be running inside the house!” Mr. Stone said.

“Dad! I had an awesome day! After Carolyn left, I went outside with Beldum to get some air, and this kid almost fell on me!” Steven blurted before he could help himself. He proceeded to practically vomit the rest of the details of his meeting with Wallace without a second thought.

Basil looked blankly at Steven, and then back to Mr. Stone, and then turned and left.

Mr. Stone's face was bright red behind his bushy gray mustache, and he shook, like he was struggling to restrain himself. “So, you went outside... without supervision... and had a casual conversation... with a trespasser?” he said, maintaining a surprisingly calm tone.

“Dad, look, I know how you feel about that,” Steven said, “but don't you think this is getting a little ridiculous? I'm fifteen years old and I can't even go outside by myself.”

“You're damn right you can't! Don't you know how dangerous it can be out there? What if someone kidnaps you and holds you for ransom? What if you're mauled by a Mightyena?”

“Dad-” Steven protested.

“No, Steven, listen to me. The world is filled with danger. It's no place for children,” Mr. Stone said, crossing his arms.

“No, Dad, you listen to me,” Steven said. “I'm not a child anymore! And the world might be filled with danger, but that's why we have Pokémon, and everywhere I go, I'll have Beldum with me.”

“Steven,” Mr. Stone said, taking a deep breath, “everything I do, I do for your sake. To do my duty as a father. To protect you. Think about your own future. Where do you really think you'll end up if you go off on your own? I'll tell you where: face-down in a ditch somewhere outside Petalburg City!”

“All you can think about is how I'll fit into your plans, your future. Everything is about you or the company. You say you're protecting me, but all you're really doing is smothering me! That's all you've ever done! It's no wonder Mom left!”

Mr. Stone recoiled at the mention of his estranged wife. His face began to turn so red Steven thought his blood might be boiling. “Steven Stone, don't you dare talk back to me like that! I'm your father, and I'll decide when you're no longer a child. But for now, you live under my roof, by my rules! Do you understand?” Mr. Stone bellowed.

Steven clenched his teeth and both of his fists. “Yeah,” he snarled through his teeth, before whirling around and storming back down the hall to his bedroom, slamming the door behind him.

He threw himself onto his bed and stifled a frustrated shout. Beldum hovered just over Steven's shoulder, chiming in a soothing tone.

“I know, Beldum... Just... How am I ever going to amount to anything if I can't even stretch my legs a little? I know Dad's just over-protective, but...” Steven trailed off. He sat up, noticing Beldum had floated over to the television, and grabbed the dial with its toes. With a quick twist, the TV turned on, displaying an image of a massive Pokémon stadium crowded with thousands of people, all roaring and clapping and whistling in excitement.

Steven realized almost immediately what it was. He could make out the simian form of a Slaking, lying on its side on one end of the battlefield. On the other was a large blue dragon with red axe-shaped wings and a long, whip-like tail. Salamence.

Just as quickly, Steven forgot his anger, and it was replaced with excitement once again. A smile began to form on his face again. A crazy smile, with a slight tilt.

“If someone can start out with a Slakoth, and end up facing the strongest trainer in all of Hoenn, I can do it with a Beldum,” Steven declared to nobody. Something took hold of him and pulled him up to his feet. Goosebumps erupted all over his skin, and he shivered, even though it wasn't cold. His pale blue eyes twinkled.

*****​

Everything was all set to go: Steven had stuffed his wallet with as much cash as he could fit, packed some extra clothes in a backpack along with all of his toiletries, and several Poké Balls had been jammed down into the pockets of a pair of cargo shorts he'd pulled on. He bent over and tightened the laces on his running shoes, and then stretched. Beldum hovered over his right shoulder, and gave a low chime of excitement.

Steven pressed his ear against the bedroom door, listening for any footsteps in the hall. He could hear none, and so he cracked the door open the tiniest fraction of an inch and peeked out. The hall was now lit by only a dim table lamp a short way down. He slipped through, holding up his index finger to Beldum, who made too much noise for the next phase of Steven's plan. Stepping carefully, Steven moved down the hall, coming to the kitchen door. Jacques had left a few hours prior, and would return early in the morning to prepare breakfast.

Steven peeked around the corner, staring through the doorway into empty darkness. There was no movement. Steven moved on, turning left and moving along the front hallway to the entrance hall. The moonlight shone through the windows, reflecting off the marble floor and the expensive vases sitting atop stone pillars on either side of the doorway into the living room. Steven almost chuckled and almost died at the sudden thought of accidentally knocking one of them over as he snuck to the doorway and gazed inside. Thankfully, no such fall occurred, and the living room was just as dark and empty as the kitchen had been.

Next, Steven turned his attention to the staircase. Sticking to the soft red rug that ran up the steps, he climbed quickly but quietly, making sure to skip the fourth step up; it creaked when it was stepped on. At the landing, he turned left again, and proceeded down the hall, turning right at the corner, and down two doors.

The third door led to Mr. Stone's private study. The door was shut tight, though Steven could see the light of a lamp shining through the crack between the door and the floor. He crouched to his hands and knees, and lowered his head close to the ground. He could make out a few words of Mr. Stone's grumbling speech: something about Poké Balls and sales numbers. Steven couldn't help but smile. Mr. Stone's business calls sometimes lasted late into the night, and as long as he was distracted, it wouldn't be too difficult to sneak out of the house.

Steven returned to his room quickly, shutting his door behind him. Beldum chimed.

“He's on the phone,” Steven whispered. Beldum chimed again in reply. “Yeah, this is our chance.”

Steven zipped his backpack up and slung it over his shoulders, adjusting the straps. He noticed the TV was still on. A news anchor was saying something about a group of oddly-dressed people breaking into the Rustboro City Museum of Science and History. Steven frowned, shrugged, and switched the set off. He turned to Beldum and gave a thumbs-up.

The window sighed as Steven lifted it, and the light switch clicked as Beldum flicked it with one of its toes, putting out the light. Steven eased one leg over the windowsill, and then the other, landing amidst the bushes just outside. Beldum floated through, and Steven eased it shut again, and together, the two made their way to the Magikarp pond.

Steven recreated the scene from earlier that day in his mind, envisioning Wallace bowing and then turning to run off toward the hole in the fence he'd gotten in through. It seemed almost too perfect; the same day as the biggest official Pokémon League match in years, the protege of one of the Hoenn region's greatest trainers practically shows up on the doorstep and informs Steven of a literal way out.

Of course, Steven knew it wasn't as simple as that. As soon as Mr. Stone knew Steven was gone, he would have police scouring the area. Steven wasn't sure, however, if he'd go public with the disappearance, or try to keep it quiet. It would probably be better for Steven if he went public; that way, Steven thought with a shiver, Miss Carolyn wouldn't be the one hunting him down.

Steven shook his head, clearing his thoughts. That way, he decided, keeping to the shadows as much as possible. The hedge around the tall chain-link fence loomed ahead in the moonlight. Steven scanned up and down the line where the hedge met the ground, searching for the hole. There were a few dark spots, but only one was large enough for a boy his size to crawl through. Steven headed straight for it, and crawled in head-first.

Then he caught on something.

Steven gasped and then clapped his hand over his mouth, suppressing a shout. Then he sighed with relief when he realized his backpack had simply caught on a branch. He backed out, took the backpack off, and pushed it in ahead of himself. He had to worm his way under the frayed and broken links of the fence, but he was soon through to the other side.

He smiled at Beldum as it rose up beside him. “Well, we did it. Now we just have to get to the city proper.”

Last edited:
Re: Stainless Steel: or, Steven Stone's Adventures in Hoenn

Oh my GOD I thought I saw this somewhere on FF.net, and here I get to read a revised version?! YAY!!

Anything about Steven Stone, I just got to read :D Please keep up the good work! There aren't many stories on Steven's childhood days, so I am looking forward to the future chapters!

Thanks! I'm very glad you enjoyed it. I wrote the original as well, and you should be able to find it on here (and probably with more chapters than are on FF.net!).

Oh my god is this really happening?

I read the original, but I barely remember it. I am excite.

Well I can still remember the old version of this fic that you wrote all those years ago....ah the memories. Now this new version is a lot better actually, I think it's probably one of the best things you've ever written in my opinion. In itself the chapter is pretty simple as first chapters tend to be, nothing much happens except for introducing Steven and such, though Wallace was pretty funny too. On that note I think that it did so pretty well, plus the conversations and the general feel of the chapter flowed smoothly without seeming rushed or dragged down.

I'm eager to see what else is going to happen from now on, so don't leave me down :p

I'm trying not to. :p

Chapter Two: The Sun Rises
The walk into town was mostly uneventful. A few times, Steven had to duck into the trees along the side of the road as headlights appeared ahead, or when he caught them behind him while looking over his shoulder. He looked over his shoulder often.

But it was not long before he arrived at the Pokémon Center downtown. He was greeted by the warm yellow light pouring from fixtures in the ceiling and the equally warm smile of the nurse on duty. “Good evening,” she said, “and welcome to the Rustboro City Pokémon Center. How can I help you?”

“I was looking for a room for the night,” Steven said, approaching the counter.

The nurse nodded. “Of course. Do you have a trainer's license?”

“Yes.” Steven fiddled in his back pocket for his wallet, which had somehow turned itself sideways during the journey. Finally, he managed to pull it out, flipped it open, and slipped out a card. The surface of the card was dominated, of course, by a picture of Steven giving a half-hearted smile with his eyelids entirely shut. The nurse took it, looked it over, and handed it back across the counter.

“Very good, Mr. Stone,” the nurse said. Steven winced at the mention of his last name. “There are already a few travelers upstairs, and they may be asleep, so I must ask you to avoid disturbing them.”

“Thank you very much!” Steven said, taking the card back and stuffing it back into his wallet. He turned and headed over to the heavy double fire doors on the right wall of the lobby, and pushed through them. He turned left to face the staircase, which climbed halfway up before doubling back on itself. The upper landing was directly above him.

The doors to the second-floor hostel split open before him, and he stepped into a room with plain white walls lined with plain wooden bunk beds which, themselves, had plain white sheets and plain blue covers. Steven stepped out onto the plain gray carpet and took in the altogether plain room... and frowned.

Five other trainers sat around a wooden table in the corner. Two gazed down at the cards in their hands; the other three sat with their arms crossed, frowning at the table. One looked up as Steven entered and smiled. “Hey there! We're about to wrap things up if you wanna join in.”

“Oh, cram it. I've still got a chance to pull this off,” one of the card-holders said.

At this, the other four laughed.

Steven smiled politely. “Sorry, but I've never played.”

“That's not a problem! We'll teach ya,” one of the other trainers said.

“Well, okay,” Steven said. He pointed to an empty lower bunk and asked, “Is that one taken?” The five trainers shook their heads in reply, so Steven sat his backpack down on top of it.

And then, for the second time that day, Wallace of Sootopolis City fell out of the sky, landing with a thud right in front of Steven. He groaned, rubbing his tender backside as he pulled himself to his feet. “I thought I heard your voice!” he said, grinning. He brushed a lock of light blue hair out of his face. “What are you doing here?”

“I...” Steven started. He wasn't really sure what to say. He imagined his father and Miss Carolyn stomping up the stairs and grabbing Steven by the arms and dragging him back home. The thought of what Miss Carolyn might do to him if she caught him running away... He shuddered.

“I'm taking the gym challenge,” Steven finally answered.

“Join the club!” one of the five said. “How many badges do you have?”

“None yet,” Steven said. “I was hoping to get my first in the morning.” This elicited another round of laughter from the group.

Wallace giggled. “Don't take it so personally. These guys are just a rude bunch.”

“Says Mr. Priss,” one of the five shot back. This time, Steven laughed right along with everyone else.

Steven and Wallace took their seats around the table as the game ended and the cards were shuffled and cut. One by one, the players introduced themselves. Hotep was a tall, quiet young man with a rather series demeanor. Tari, who had just won, was a recent Academy graduate in her early twenties. Ramsey, who had just lost, was a boisterous man built like a Tauros. Cleo and Antony seemed more interested in each other than card games. The five of them had been traveling together for a few months, honing their skills individually and as a group.

Tari, having won, dealt each player seven cards (plus the remaining three), and Hotep, to her right, went first. He placed a single card in the center of the table: a King of Hearts, marked with the maned red face of a Pyroar in mid-roar mirrored across the middle of the card and a red “K” in opposite corners. Next, Cleo placed a three of Spades on top of the first card, then Antony a six of Clubs, and then Ramsey placed a seven of Diamonds. Immediately, there was a rush toward the pile of cards, but Tari was the quickest, slapping her hands down on the top of the pile of cards. She flashed a sly grin at the others as she drew the pile out and added the cards to her hand.

“So, if you have two consecutive number cards on the pile, whoever grabs it first gets the cards?” Steven said.

“More or less. Two consecutive numbers, two cards in the same suit, or two face cards,” Tari explained. “If you run out of cards, you're out. Last one standing wins.”

Steven nodded, smiling. “Okay, I think I get it.”

“We're wastin' daylight! Get back to the game!” Ramsey said, slapping Wallace on the back.

And so the game continued for half an hour. At one point, Steven managed to grab the cards first, but suffered a stinging slap on the hand from Ramsey for his trouble. When Ramsey went out first, Steven made sure to laugh harder than anyone else as Ramsey slammed his hands down on the table and pushed his chair back. Next was Antony, followed quickly by Cleo. Wallace ran out of cards next, and gave a great huff as he scooted his chair back. Tari had a run of bad luck next, and quickly found her chances of winning again had run out. Steven and Hotep went back and forth for several rounds, until at last, Hotep slipped his hand in beneath Steven's and grabbed a large pile, reducing Steven's number of cards to two, which was soon none at all, giving Hotep the win. Hotep just crossed his arms and gave a slight smile.

“I gotta give it to you, kid, you learn fast,” Tari said.

“Thanks,” Steven said.

Then Antony tried to teach them all a folk song from his native Kalos. The words felt strange on their tongues and were difficult to pronounce correctly. Antony continuously had to stop to correct stresses or vowel sounds, and eventually just gave up. Instead, they all joined in on an old song from the Kanto region, led by Ramsey on his guitar.

They sang several rounds and clapped along with the beat, and Steven, though he was unfamiliar with the song, began to catch on by the second chorus, though the verses still eluded him. Eventually, the song ended and they started again. This time, Steven managed a little more than half the words to each verse. They laughed and sang and clapped along late into the night before they all climbed into bed and Steven fell into a deep sleep.

He awoke early that morning to the sound of Ramsey's snoring. He blinked away the sleep from his eyes, and sat up. Beldum lowered from the murky edges of his vision, drawn by the sound of the creaking mattress underneath his shifting weight.

Steven smiled, patting Beldum lightly and stretching. He slid out of bed, grabbed his backpack, and stepped into the bathroom. Steam billowed out from beneath a privacy curtain hung in front of one of the three shower stalls. Steven could hear Wallace's voice raised in a vaguer rendition of Antony's already vague Kalosian song, half-singing, half-humming half the words.

Steven grabbed a towel from a shelf and stepped into a free stall. He was out and dressed again before Wallace had finished. Down in the small cafeteria on the first floor, he scarfed down a quick breakfast consisting of a small glass of milk and a single waffle, and then sped out the front door.

The town was still cloaked in the shadow of the night, and only the top of the Devon building had had its veil burned away by the rising of the morning sun. Streetlamps lining the roads flickered out one by one. Steven's skin prickled in the chill of the air.

It wasn't a particularly long walk to the gym, which was only a few blocks away, but the Devon building itself rose up just down the street. Steven could almost feel his father's eyes upon him from his office on the top floor. He shivered and forced his gaze elsewhere, reminding himself that his father should still be asleep back at the mansion.

The gym itself stood before him. Steven easily recognized the gray slate-sided walls and brown roof. Not to mention, of course, the large red letters reading “GYM” beside the glass doors. Through those doors, Steven could see a few people training within.

He looked at Beldum, hovering beside him. Beldum gave a low chime of encouragement. Steven smiled and pushed through the doors, coming into a large, open room with a concrete floor.

A few of the trainers inside stopped to look at him. Steven waved at them weakly. They did not respond in kind. Instead, they turned their attentions back on whatever training exercise they had set to. Steven realized there were more than he'd thought. Each trainer had an opposite counterpart, and they seemed to be sparring with their opponents. There were no attacks in use, however.

A man wearing dusty jeans and a plain brown t-shirt smiled casually as he approached Steven. He wore a belt, but no Poké Balls were attached to it. “Hello there,” he said. “I'm Peter, the Gym Leader here.”

“Oh, h- hello,” Steven said. His heart started to thump in his chest. He barely registered it when he shook the man's hand. “I'm Steven.”

Peter cocked his head. “I was wondering when I'd be seeing you in here. I was afraid your father was going to keep you cooped up until you were old enough to move out on your own.” Steven blinked at that.

“Uh, yeah. No, no, he decided I could go. He said it's best for a young man to have experience, of the world, I mean,” Steven said. His heart thumped faster. Why, exactly, was this man waiting for him, and more than that, would he believe what Steven himself felt was an obvious lie?

Peter nodded. “Good! That's good. Then I take it you're here to challenge me for your first badge, huh?”

Steven nodded. “Yeah,” was all he managed as his body relaxed and his heartbeat slowed.

Peter looked him up and down, and frowned. “Is that Beldum your only Pokémon?”

“Yes,” Steven said, frowning in return. “Is that a problem?”

“No, of course not. I've battled with many trainers from all walks of life. Not all of them utilize a full team of six. Some prefer a closer bond with fewer Pokémon. Whatever works,” he said.

“All right, everyone!” Peter said, turning to his students. “I have a challenger here. Take the stands; we'll continue with your training once the battle is over.” A murmur spread throughout the group of students, who, Steven noticed, were mostly teenaged boys and girls. They flowed up into the stands on either side of the battlefield.

“Can I see your license right quick?” Peter asked.

Steven nodded, pulling his wallet from his back pocket and producing the card as he had for the nurse at the Pokémon Center the previous night. Peter took it, held it up high, flipped it around, and handed it back, and then turned, walking to a bag sitting on a bench just below the stands. He rummaged around in the bag and pulled out three Poké Balls and attached them to his belt.

“You can take your side of the field, now,” he called over.

Steven started, and then realized he'd been standing on the field the entire time. The floor was actually made of neatly-carved stone, not concrete. He spotted the trainer's box on the side nearest the exit, and planted his feet there. He realized his heart was racing again, and he shivered again, but with anticipation this time.

On the opposite side, Peter stood in his own trainer's box. “Ready?” he shouted.

“Ready!” Steven shouted back, though he really wasn't sure himself.

Peter tossed out his first Poké Ball. From a flash of white light appeared a Pokémon resembling a boulder, with two wiry arms and heavy hands. It opened its mouth and a half-screeching, half-rumbling sound came out.

Geodude, Steven knew. They were fairly common and usually not terribly dangerous. Beldum would have the advantage as well, being a steel-type against Geodude's rock-type.

“Go ahead,” Steven urged. Beldum hovered out onto the field. At that point, the noises of the crowd slurred into a dull, distant whispering, and the stands themselves disappeared from Steven's vision, while Peter and his Geodude grew clearer. He didn't even hear Peter's first command, but when his mouth opened to order it, Geodude jabbed its hands into the stony floor and ripped out round, ragged chunks. A few of these chunks came flying toward Beldum.

“Get out of the way,” Steven said.

Beldum did, dipping below the first rock, and darting around the second. The third flew wide, clattering against the ground and fragmenting.

“Now, use Iron Defense,” Steven said. Beldum clanged in reply, and the blue metal that comprised Beldum's skin flashed silver for a split second.

It was well that it had, as the fourth rock hurled by Peter's Geodude caught Beldum square in the head, and Beldum cried out, spiraling around in the air.

“Pull yourself together, Beldum! That couldn't have hurt,” Steven said. “Now get in close and use Iron Head.”

Beldum zipped forward, but Geodude had more rocks to throw. One halted Beldum's forward momentum, setting him spinning around in the air again. “Use Iron Head to smash through those rocks when they come at you,” Steven said.

It worked; just before the next rock caught Beldum, his head flashed silver, and he flew straight through the rock as it disintegrated around him.

“Geodude, fall back!” Peter commanded. Geodude screeched and flexed. The rocky surface of its skin smoothed out, and it darted backward with surprising speed. It reached down, sundering the rocky surface of the field as if it were butter, and sent more shards of stone into the air. Beldum smashed through these as well, gaining on Geodude.

Then Geodude stopped, smoothing out its own skin again. Now the skin reflected a bit of the light from the fixtures hanging above the field.

That's Rock Polish, Steven realized. But what comes next?

The answer came quickly. Peter shouted, “Now, press your advantage!”

Geodude rolled through the air, knocking into Beldum and bouncing off again. Then it approached from a different angle, a little bit faster, and hit Beldum a little bit harder. “Beldum, get out of the way! Don't let it hit you!” Steven said.

Beldum dropped toward the ground, but Geodude was too fast, slamming into him and sending him tumbling end over end through the air.

Rollout, Steven thought, his eyes widening. Geodude would keep coming faster and hitting harder with each strike, unless Steven could avoid it. Seriously, how hard could it be to avoid a floating rock?

“Oh my god,” Steven said flatly, slapping himself on the forehead. “Beldum, treat Geodude just like a regular rock!”

This time, as Geodude wheeled in for another strike, Beldum faced it head-on, his head flashing silver just before impact. Geodude bounced off of Beldum's head and hit the floor hard and then disappeared in a flash of light as it was recalled to its Poké Ball.

Peter's next Pokémon was a small blue thing with a large red nose. Steven had to stifle a laugh at that. Nosepass weren't exactly renowned for their ferocity in battle. Could this really be the best a certified Gym Leader had? Eight badges should be an easy task.

“Beldum, hit it with Iron Head,” Steven said.

Beldum couldn't. He flew toward the tiny blue Pokémon, but... couldn't get very close at all. Nosepass hadn't even moved. Peter hadn't even given a command. Steven squinted, searching for a glow around Nosepass's eyes, ear holes, palms, nostrils, for a sign of a technique in use, but there was nothing.

“Okay, try grabbing one of those rocks and tossing it at Nosepass instead,” Steven said, shrugging. Beldum chimed and hovered over to one of the more intact rocks Geodude had thrown, and grabbed it with its three metal toes. Then Beldum flipped, hurling the rock at Nosepass, who made no attempt to dodge. The rock sailed through the air, hitting Nosepass right on the nose.

“Okay, now try Iron Head again,” Steven said.

Beldum still couldn't.

“You won't win this one by sheer brute force,” Peter called. “Nosepass, Earth Power.”

Nosepass lifted its arms, and plumes of earth shot up in rapid succession toward Beldum. One of these plumes erupted from directly beneath Beldum before either he or Steven could react, enveloping his body entirely. As it passed and the dirt fell back to the floor, Beldum drooped in the air, shaking its head.

“Okay,” Steven said, holding an elbow in one hand and his face in the other. Let's see, he thought, it's about room temperature in here, the doors are shut and there's no wind. Nosepass is facing toward me, on the north side of the field...

For the second time, Steven slapped himself on the forehead.

“Beldum, go around and attack with Metal Claw from behind,” Steven said.

Beldum zipped around Nosepass, and this time, his attack struck home. Nosepass was knocked forward onto its nose, and then it rolled onto its side, squirming as it struggled to pick itself up.

“Now finish it off with Iron Head,” Steven said. Beldum slammed head-first into Nosepass, and Nosepass stopped struggling and disappeared as it, too, was recalled.

“You learn quickly,” Peter said. “That's good. But it won't be good enough. Not here, not outside these walls, and not in Ever Grande City.” From a flash of light appeared Peter's third Pokémon: Rhyhorn. It was a thickly-built Pokémon with a tough, stone hide and four short but powerful legs. It resembled a small car. Steven's heart dropped.

“Rhyhorn, go ahead and finish it,” Peter said, crossing his arms. Steven shouted for Beldum to defend himself, but it was in vain. Rhyhorn pounded its front two feet into the earth, sending a tremor through the field. Steven lost his balance and fell to his hands and knees. Rhyhorn charged and smashed headfirst into Beldum, who fell from the air with a clatter and tumbled end over end across the rocky field.

Steven punched the floor. It probably should have hurt, but he didn't feel anything. His eyes were burning. His tongue caught in his throat.

“Get up,” Peter said. He was next to Steven.

Steven grabbed Peter's hand and let him help him climb back to his feet. “You shouldn't take this too hard. You did well for your first official match.”

Steven nodded and swallowed hard. “So what do I do now?” With the push of a button, Beldum flashed back into its Poké Ball, which Steven then reattached to his belt.

Peter shrugged. “That's for you to decide. It's your life and your journey. 'Do as thou wilt.'”

Steven nodded again. “I can't go back. I have to keep moving forward.”

“That's a good choice. You've got a good head on your shoulders, and I was very impressed by the way you were able to analyze the situation as it evolved. That's a very important ability, and it will serve you well at the higher levels.” He placed his hands on Steven's shoulders. “But analytical ability won't be enough. Knowing isn't the same as doing, and knowledge isn't a substitute for experience. If you want to go far in the Pokémon League, you'll have to go everywhere you can and do everything you can. Get stronger and bond with your Pokémon. That's the key to unlocking your full potential.”

Something brushed against Steven's leg. Peter's Rhyhorn had come up and was tugging at the leg of his shorts. Steven patted it on its head. Peter laughed. “See? Even Rhyhorn believes in you. Everyone has the potential to be great, but bringing that potential out takes people to places and situations where they aren't comfortable. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it.”

“You're right,” Steven said.

“When things get rough, you just have to press on.”

Steven nodded once more. “I'll get Beldum healed up and then we'll head south. Listen, if my father comes here...”

“You were never here,” Peter said.

Steven smiled. “Yeah.”

It was Peter's turn to nod. “Then good luck, Steven Stone. And be careful out there. The world is a dangerous place.”

“I will,” Steven said. “Thanks.” He turned and walked out the doors into the daylight.

He realized his hand really hurt.

Last edited:

Wow amazing stuff! I really like the style you have in your writing.

Wow amazing stuff! I really like the style you have in your writing.

Thank you very much, Akari! I'm glad you enjoyed it so far.

Re: Stainless Steel: or, Steven Stone's Adventures in Hoenn (2)

I really liked the first gym battle. So Peter is the leader before Roxanne, it seems? :)

I really liked the first gym battle. So Peter is the leader before Roxanne, it seems? :)

Yup! As Stainless Steel takes place a good 20 years before the events of the Hoenn-based games, and I always envisioned Roxanne as being a young woman in her late teens to early twenties (think 18-22), she couldn't possibly be the Rustboro Gym Leader yet. :p As it happens, in the original version, Peter was named Clay, and he was actually Roxanne's father. He probably still *IS* Roxanne's father, but of course, I can't use the name Clay anymore.

Funny, did you actually researched into names that could be used as puns for rocks? considering what Peter can stand for.

I thought the chapter was pretty interesting, we got to see the beginning of Steven's journey as he met other trainers and had his first gym battle. The battle was pretty good, it was quick and easy to follow, a bit simplistic but considering it's Steven's first battle we cant'really ask for much. I do think you should focus a bit more on the description of Steven's feelings during the battle itself. Other than that I feel like it was a good start to his journey plus we got to see a bit more of his character now that he's out in the world.

Hopefully you can keep this up and I'll be checking it out.

Wow, this is actually quite good! I never thought I'd like fanfics before, considering the fact that I had yet to read a good one before now. I guess that Bulbagarden has helped me so much already even though I just joined two days ago.

Funny, did you actually researched into names that could be used as puns for rocks? considering what Peter can stand for.

I thought the chapter was pretty interesting, we got to see the beginning of Steven's journey as he met other trainers and had his first gym battle. The battle was pretty good, it was quick and easy to follow, a bit simplistic but considering it's Steven's first battle we cant'really ask for much. I do think you should focus a bit more on the description of Steven's feelings during the battle itself. Other than that I feel like it was a good start to his journey plus we got to see a bit more of his character now that he's out in the world.

Hopefully you can keep this up and I'll be checking it out.

Yup! I actually took the name from an old RP character from wayyy back. I thought it fit though. :p

And you're totally right about focusing more on what Steven is feeling through the battles. It felt like something was missing there, but I didn't realize that's what it was until now. Thank you.

Wow, this is actually quite good! I never thought I'd like fanfics before, considering the fact that I had yet to read a good one before now. I guess that Bulbagarden has helped me so much already even though I just joined two days ago.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far!

Can't believe I missed this. Don't know where my head has been at XD

Anyway, I'm glad to see this fic back in action! I especially love the battles. I like how you literally let the reader into Steven's head during battle in terms of processing what the opponent is doing and coming up with counters. Very clever and well done.

Prose and grammar are solid as usual for you. Awesome to see you back!

Can't believe I missed this. Don't know where my head has been at XD

Anyway, I'm glad to see this fic back in action! I especially love the battles. I like how you literally let the reader into Steven's head during battle in terms of processing what the opponent is doing and coming up with counters. Very clever and well done.

Prose and grammar are solid as usual for you. Awesome to see you back!

Thanks, Legacy!

For whatever reason, with the original version, I always had trouble actually getting inside Steven's head during battles. It was one thing I was always dissatisfied with, but I never could figure out why until more recently. Glad you're enjoying it, man. Can't wait to see where both of our reborn babies go from here. :p

I just had a blast reading Chapter 1!

Your story moved nice and quickly in this chapter and though we didn't spend much time at Steven's mansion feel like a got a good sense of his life there and the world he's been confined to.

I appreciate the incorporation of the Pokémon cuckoo clock and the match on TV.

I like the choice as Beldum as a partner for Steven, it's not an obvious pick as it's less obviously "emotive" or "animal like" as most "partner" Pokémon tend to be, both in the anime, and in a lot of fic I've read.

And you scored good with the timing for bringing this out just a few months ago, with the Hoenn remakes being announced and all!

I'll be dropping back in some time for Chapter 2! Good job!

I just had a blast reading Chapter 1!

Your story moved nice and quickly in this chapter and though we didn't spend much time at Steven's mansion feel like a got a good sense of his life there and the world he's been confined to.

I appreciate the incorporation of the Pokémon cuckoo clock and the match on TV.

I like the choice as Beldum as a partner for Steven, it's not an obvious pick as it's less obviously "emotive" or "animal like" as most "partner" Pokémon tend to be, both in the anime, and in a lot of fic I've read.

And you scored good with the timing for bringing this out just a few months ago, with the Hoenn remakes being announced and all!

I'll be dropping back in some time for Chapter 2! Good job!

Thank you very much! I'm extremely excited for OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire and it really did turn out to be good timing lol. I'm extremely excited for them and can hardly wait to see an updated Hoenn in the new graphical style.

Another thing I forgot to mention, somehow I just find "assembling supplies and running off to be independent/have an adventure" scenes fun too, so good going, even if it was a pretty obvious thing to have happen. :p

Well, this one only took about two weeks. Much better than the five months I've been averaging. :p

Chapter Three: Petalburg Woods

Hotep and the others had already gone by the time Steven returned to the Pokémon Center. Wallace, however, still lingered in the lobby, fitting and re-fitting his white hat over his hair. Eventually he dropped his arms to his sides and slumped against the back of the couch he was sitting on and huffed, crossing his arms. When he realized Steven was there, however, he smiled.

“So, Steven, how'd it go?”

Steven frowned. His head drooped slightly as he shook it side to side.

“Oh.”

“Yeah,” Steven said. “Beldum and I are all ready to get going, though. I want to make as much progress toward Petalburg City as possible by the end of the day.”

“That's where the next Gym is,” Wallace said.

“Yup.”

“You can't seriously be planning on-”

“I am, though,” Steven said, crossing his arms.

Wallace rolled his eyes. “Well, if you insist. What time are you leaving?”

Steven hesitated. “Well, I wanted to leave as soon as possible. I'd like to spend as few nights as possible on the road. The sooner we get there, the better.”

“We?” Wallace asked.

Steven's heart dropped and he hesitated again. “I was hoping that... uh, you know what? Never mind. It's a stupid idea.”

Wallace grinned. “Of course I'm coming with you. You're utterly hopeless without me.”

Steven wasn't entirely sure whether to laugh or to frown.

*****​

The further south Steven and Wallace got, the more Steven's nerves calmed. Before the sun was high in the sky, most of the city had passed behind them. The brick sidewalks gave way to grass, and as the road veered east straight toward Petalburg City, the two kept following the footpath, which led south through the Petalburg Woods.

Steven couldn't help but smile. He released Beldum from his Poké Ball and the two drank in the sights. A light, warm breeze caressed Steven's face and rippled across the brilliant emerald green grass to either side of the beaten path. Not far ahead, the sapphire blue waters of a lake shimmered in the sunlight. Sweet and spicy fragrances mingled in the air as the three approached three berry trees growing in a dark patch of loamy soil just off the path. A woman knelt over the dirt, smoothing it out with a spade. A Lotad standing next to her squeaked happily as water dripped from its mouth.

The woman looked up as Steven and Wallace approached. She smiled, stood, and wiped her dirty hands on her apron. “Hello there, boys! Can I interest you in some freshly-picked berries?” she asked.

Steven thought Wallace's eyes were going to explode for a second before he darted forward. “Why, yes, ma'am!” he said. “In fact, I was hoping to find some in the area! I'm the greatest apprentice of Sootpolis City's Gym Leader, Juan, you see, and I'm on a quest my master gave me to make a Pokémon he gave me beautiful.”

The woman's eyes brightened and the crow's feet around them lent a grandmotherly warmth to her smile. “Then it's your lucky day, young man. I happen to have a surplus of Chesto berries here today,” she said, rummaging around in her sack. She withdrew a fistful of small, blue-shelled berries and dropped them in Wallace's cupped palms. Wallace dropped his backpack to the ground, and dropped them into one of the side pockets. “And some more,” the woman added, with another handful.

“Thank you, ma'am!” Wallace said, bowing low.

“You're welcome,” the woman said. “Anything else? Maybe some Cheri, Leppa, or Oran berries?”

“Actually,” Steven said, taking a step forward, “I'd like a few of each, if that's all right.”

“Oh, absolutely, dear,” the woman said, rummaging in her bag again. She dropped another fistful of berries into Steven's hands. “Just make sure you plant a few of them if you happen across a suitable patch of soil. Berry trees need loamy, earthy soil to flourish.”

“You have my word,” Wallace said. Steven nodded in agreement.

The woman smiled again. “Good. Berries aren't just nice to look at and nice to smell, you know. Many wild Pokémon depend on them for food,” she said, pointing toward a long, segmented pink Pokémon with wide eyes and several legs, and a small yellow horn on its head. “Just look at that Wurmple. They eat the berries produced by the trees. Sometimes they evolve into Silcoon or Cascoon. Sometimes, they're not so lucky. Taillow like to prey on them. So even the Taillow, too, depend on the berries.

“And the berries? Well, they depend on us. Trainers and their Pokémon often carry berries all over the Hoenn region, and sometimes even elsewhere.” The wind gusted for a moment, blowing the Wurmple off of its branch and pulling a few berries from the trees. “Even the wind can carry them to other places. This change keeps the soil from growing stale. When a berry tree dies-”

“The dead plant matter is broken down by bacteria and fungi and help fertilize the soil again,” Steven said. Beldum chimed.

“Exactly,” the woman said. “And a new tree can take its place. And the more variation in what trees are grown where, the more variation in the nutrients in the soil, and the better new trees grow. And the better the trees grow, the easier it is for the Pokémon that depend on them to thrive. So by doing your part in replanting the berries you pick, you're helping maintain the balance of nature. It's just common courtesy.”

“That's spectacular!” Wallace said, throwing his hands up into the air.

Steven rolled his eyes. “We definitely will. Thank you for the berries,” he said. “We really should be getting on our way now, though.”

The woman smiled. “Of course. It was very nice meeting you boys. Have a safe trip!”

“We will!” Steven said, pulling Wallace along hurriedly. He couldn't help but glance behind him at the city. Of course they hadn't stopped for long, but Steven nonetheless could feel each minute pass like the ringing of a gong, echoing deep inside his chest.

When the path met the pontoon bridge that crossed the lake, Steven only glanced down at his reflection for a moment before pushing onward toward the dark green wall of the forest ahead.

*****​

Her heart raced as she leapt among the branches. It was exhilarating, almost as if she were flying herself. She wasn't, of course; only with the aid of her Pokémon could she, but this was neither the time nor place for them to be out. She must move with haste, and in these close quarters, her Pokémon would prove unwieldy and slow, even with all their natural speed.

Under her blue flight suit, she was sweating, but she hardly felt neither heat nor humidity, only the racing pulse of her heart and the adrenaline coursing through her veins. Somewhere in the forest below, her quarry was waiting. A group of oddly-dressed men and women had been sighted near the scene of the Rustboro museum break-in. A similar group had been sighted southeast of her own hometown of Fortree City only a few days ago. Naturally, she had been tasked with part of the investigation.

Her Swellow had spotted one such man just outside the woods on his way inward.

She stopped, pulling her flight goggles up onto her forehead and wiping the sweat out of her eyes. Two locks of purple hair sprang out from beneath her cap and fluttered in the breeze like wings.

“You can't hide from me much longer,” she whispered.

*****​

It got darker as the track led deeper into the forest. At some points, it was almost difficult to see Wallace in front of him, and Beldum had accidentally crashed into a few branches here and there. Even still, the forest was a place of untamed beauty. Taillow chattered in the trees, and the Nincada were singing all in unison.

It was slower going than Steven had expected, too. Every few minutes it seemed like they were having to duck under a branch, or jump over a branch, or hold back a branch so it wouldn't smack the other in the face. That's exactly what happened at one point, too, when Wallace tripped over one branch while attempting to hold another out of the way for Steven. Steven's jaw still throbbed.

Every now and then, Steven could get a peek at the sun through a hole in the foliage. Already, Steven realized with a quickening of his pulse, the sun had risen to its highest. It was already past noon, and there was still quite a way to go. Of course, following the road would have been faster, but it was also too risky. Steven was sure no one would recognize him, but if Miss Carolyn drove by and spotted him... He shuddered.

And then he ran straight into Wallace, who had stopped. Recoiling, he grabbed his nose and groaned. “What? What is it?”

“Shhh... I hear something,” Wallace said.

Steven stood still, and cupped his hand to his ear.

Sure enough, he could just barely make out a noise... no, noises. Definitely not Nincada or Taillow. It sounded like people talking somewhere up ahead. Steven couldn't quite make out what they were saying, but the more he heard it, the more he was sure of it. The song of the Nincada stopped.

Then there was a yelp and a thud, and Steven and Wallace hurried lightly toward the source of the noise until they came to a clearing, and immediately they dropped to the ground. Two oddly-dressed men in purple and maroon cloaks were speaking. Nearby, a Zigzagoon lay curled up in a ball on the ground. Steven clenched a fist.

“-totally against what this organization is about,” one was saying.

“Aw, shut the hell up,” the other responded. “Damn thing bit me.”

“It was just defending itself. If Isis finds out-”

“She ain't gunna find out,” the second man said. “Unless you're sayin' you're gunna tell her.” He folded his arms across his chest and stared straight into the first man's eyes.

The first man looked down and took a step back. “No, no. I won't.”

“Good. Now let me put this little pup outta its misery,” the second man said, turning toward the Zigzagoon.

“Beldum,” Steven hissed, but Wallace put his hand on Steven's shoulder and pointed toward the canopy above the two men.

A girl in a blue flight suit swung down on a vine, releasing a large silver bird Pokémon with wickedly sharp red feathers. The two men ducked as the Skarmory whistled just over their heads. The girl dropped from the vine and swept the first man's feet out from under him. He grunted as he fell, but before the girl could subdue him totally, the second, larger man had called out his Pokémon, a ferocious-looking thing on four legs, covered in patchy black fur. The Mightyena growled and took a step toward her.

“Skarmory, hit that Mightyena with Aerial Ace!” the girl cried.

Skarmory shot up into the air, and then swooped down, colliding with the Mightyena and sending it rolling across the ground.

At this point, Wallace darted forward into the clearing and called out his own Pokémon, Feebas, just as the first man had climbed to his feet and released a small light brown Pokémon shaped like a top.

“Feebas, use Water Pulse on that Baltoy!” Wallace said.

Feebas shook with concentration as it pulled water from the plants around it, and even the air itself, and gathered it in a ball around itself. Then the ball shot forward, enveloping the Baltoy before exploding and sending Baltoy toppling end over end backward.

The second man hadn't given up just yet, however, and his Mightyena clamped its jaws on the leading edge of Skarmory's wing, dragging it out of the air. Skarmory squawked and its wings fluttered as it struggled to free itself from Mightyena's grip. Finally, Skarmory jabbed its beak at Mightyena's shoulder. Mightyena gave a sharp yelp, releasing Skarmory's wing.

Skarmory leapt into the air, spiraled up above the trees, and screamed out of the sky, slamming the glowing forward edge of its wing into Mightyena's back as it turned to flee. Already beaten bloody, Mightyena collapsed and began whimpering. The second man quickly recalled it into its Poké Ball, and before anyone could stop them, the two men fled, one after the other, thrashing and crashing through the foliage.

Steven stepped over to the injured Zigzagoon, digging out an Oran berry and placing it in front of its nose. The Zigzagoon's nose twitched and it made a snuffling sound. Its mouth opened and its tongue flicked out, and the berry was gone. Almost instantly, the Zigzagoon managed to pick itself up off the ground, and it barked happily before padding off into the undergrowth.

“Thanks for the assist,” the girl said, brushing some hair out of her face.

“It was the least I could do,” Wallace said, taking her hand and bowing low to kiss it.

She immediately withdrew it. “My name's Winona. My dad is the Gym Leader of Fortree City,” she said, rubbing the back of her hand where Wallace had kissed it.

“My name is Wallace. I am on a quest from my own master, Juan of Sootopolis City,” Wallace said with another sweeping bow.

“I know who you are,” Winona said, rolling her eyes. “I was talking to your friend here.”

“My name's Steven St- Steven,” Steven said, offering Winona his hand. She gripped his hand firmly as she shook it.

“Well, Steven, I see you have a Beldum. That's a really rare Pokémon,” Winona said.

“Yeah,” Steven said. “My mom gave him to me when I was younger.” Beldum chimed in agreement. “She used to have a few more.”

“She sounds like an impressive breeder,” Winona said.

Steven looked down at his feet as his throat clenched up, unable to force a reply. The memories of his mother stung.

The singing of the Nincada returned now that the battle had ended. There was a flutter of wings as two Taillow took flight from a tree nearby. Steven could even hear the soft gurgling of a stream and the splashing of the Pokémon that lived within it. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“So where are you two headed?” Winona asked.

“I'm glad you asked! As it happens-”

“Petalburg City,” Steven answered. Wallace shot him a sharp look.

“Oh good,” Winona said. “Would the two of you mind giving me a hand for a little bit longer? There have to be more of those people here. My intel suggests they're using this forest as an extraction point.”

“Intel?” Steven repeated.

Winona nodded. “A few of the Gym Leaders have taken notice of men and women dressing up like that, and just doing suspicious things. Gathering in public parks late at night, passing out little pamphlets going on about the end of the world. That sort of thing. We've been investigating them for a few weeks, but we've had no cause to pursue them until now.”

“The break-in at the Rustboro museum,” Steven said, nodding.

“Exactly,” Winona said. “If you can help me find their extraction point, I might be able to find out more about what they are and what they're doing.”

“Absolutely,” Steven said, crossing his arms.

Wallace nodded in agreement.

Winona smiled. “I can't thank you enough.” A Swellow dove out of the sky and alighted next to Winona and Skarmory.

“Perfect timing, Swellow,” Winona said, ruffling the feathers on the back of its head. “Have you found anything?” Swellow nodded. “Good. Lead on.”

Swellow darted off down a narrow side path, perhaps a game trail, catching a low-hanging branch and craning its neck to look back at them.

“This way,” Winona said, retuning Skarmory to its Poké Ball. She stepped lightly down the path, moving swiftly but silently.

Wallace looked back at Steven and whispered, with a massive grin on his face, “She knows who I am!” and then followed suit, returning his Feebas to its own Poké Ball.

Steven started after them, but halted at a whimpering cry. He turned to see the Baltoy Wallace had defeated earlier, dragging itself out of the brush. Steven's chest tightened and he clenched his fist. “Can't even be bothered to save his own Pokémon...” he grumbled. He stooped to pick the Baltoy up. It flailed its arms, slapping at Steven's hands, but Steven grabbed it and held tight. “I'd give you a berry, but then you'd just fight harder.”

He pulled a jacket out of his backpack, wrapping the Baltoy in it, and then carefully placed the bundle back in his backpack. “You'll at least be safe in there.”

He stood and followed after Wallace and Winona.

*****​

With every rustle of leaves, every snap of a twig, Steven's heart skipped a beat. Though Winona moved deftly amongst the foliage, Wallace was less graceful, and Steven found himself having to alternate between speed whenever he realized he was falling behind, and stealth when he managed to catch back up.

Wherever those two thugs had gotten to, there were sure to be more, and though Winona was obviously quite a capable trainer, Steven had his doubts as to how many she would be able to fight off. Wallace might do well against one, if he had a type advantage, and though Steven himself had minimal experience, he could only imagine he'd do well against two or maybe even three if it came down to it. These guys weren't exactly Gym Leaders after all.

The forest itself was what unnerved Steven. He could almost feel the trees closing in to either side like an impenetrable wall of darkness. He shivered, imagining the vastness of the forest spreading up to the very sea, though he knew better. Home was so far behind, and there was so much forest to get lost in. He wondered how many people had entered and then never left.

But soon the trail was widening, meeting up with a larger path, hard-packed by many feet over many years. Steven could see Swellow flapping from tree to tree up ahead again.

There was a snap like a gunshot. Winona stopped, dropping to her knees and motioned for Wallace and Steven to do the same. Beldum hovered over Steven's shoulder, and Steven could almost feel Beldum's single red eye scanning the forest for any sign of movement.

Another snap. The Nincada stopped singing again.

As he listened carefully, Steven could hear a soft padding, like the Zigzagoon had made when it scampered off. Like footsteps on grass.

Winona crouched closer to the brush on the side of the game trail. Wallace and Steven followed suit. They each exchanged glances: Wallace's eyes were so wide they seemed to take up most of his face; Winona's face was so grim Steven thought if it got any more angular she'd be able to cut people with it.

A shadow appeared within Steven's view. As if on cue, all three lunged out of their hiding place and tackled the figure casting the shadow. Steven got a face full of long light brown hair and felt thin, wiry limbs flailing about as the figure fell.

“Oh, it's only an Alakazam,” Winona said, pulling herself off the Pokémon.

As Steven and Wallace likewise climbed back to their feet, someone unseen laughed.

Steven, Wallace, and Winona all looked around at the woods, searching for any sign of another person, but there was no movement except for the Alakazam. “Who's there?” Winona demanded. “Show yourself!”

“As you wish,” the voice answered. It was a woman's voice, with a certain coldness.

A cloud of smoke erupted from just behind the Alakazam and from it appeared three more figures. A tall woman in a white dress embroidered with gold thread, with a gold sash around her waist, stepped out of the smoke. Atop her head was an odd crown consisting of a short, hollow red cylinder wrapped around a thin white cone that tapered toward the top. The other two with her, a man and a woman, were dressed nearly identically to the men from earlier.

“This is my Alakazam. And I am Isis, one of the Grand Viziers of Team Millennium,” the woman said. “Two of our comrades informed me that there were powerful intruders in the forest. I never imagined they would be children.”

“As it happens,” Wallace said, stepping forward and thrusting his arm out, “I am the protege of the Sootopolis City Gym Leader, Juan! My friends and I are here to put a stop to your-”

“Test them, please,” Isis said, nodding to the two accompanying her.

Wallace stepped backward, red-faced.

The gulf between the two parties seemed to widen before Steven's eyes as the two grunts produced Poké Balls from... somewhere. The man summoned a round, orange Pokémon with two eyes and several yellow appendages branching out to the sides. The woman summoned a white crescent-shaped Pokémon with two large red eyes. Solrock and Lunatone, Steven thought.

“Swellow, now!” Winona called. Swellow swooped out of a tree with wings glowing silver, and smashed into the Lunatone.

Wallace was already preparing for another Water Pulse, and Steven ordered an Iron Head on Solrock.

Beldum dove headfirst into Solrock, knocking the Pokémon back a few inches in the air, but Beldum was sent flying backwards seconds later as waves of purple light washed over Solrock's body. Was that Cosmic Power? Steven thought.

“Solrock, Fire Spin!” the man said.

A ring of flames formed around the tips of Solrock's limbs and shot forward. Before Steven could react, the flames opened up and surrounded Beldum, who cried out in pain as the fire washed across its body. A spray of water suddenly doused the flames and soaked Solrock. Steven glanced over at Wallace, who had brought out a second Pokémon, a Marill, to aid in the battle. Wallace flashed him a thumbs-up.

Steven caught a glimpse of the woman watching the battle unfolding. Her Alakazam stood nearby, watching the battle as well. Off guard. “Beldum, while Marill holds off Solrock, use Iron Head on that lady's Alakazam,” Steven said.

Beldum nodded and zipped off, ducking under a gout of flame and dodging around a rock hurtling through the air. His head began to glow silver and he aimed himself straight at Alakazam like a fist. Only he never made contact, instead bouncing off a barely-visible barrier of Alakazam's psychic power.

Steven growled, and turned to see Solrock spitting out a spiraling serpent of flame straight toward him. Beldum just reached Steven as the attacked whipped around and around him. Steven clutched Beldum in his arms and fell to his knees as the heat from the flames began to singe the grass. His ears were overwhelmed by the roaring of the fire and he shut his eyes against the heat he knew was coming. The heat enveloped him, and then... stopped.

Steven opened his eyes to see another psychic barrier, like the one protecting Alakazam, warding off the flames.

“Remember, brother,” Isis's voice rang over the crackling and hissing of the fire, “we are here to bring salvation to these people, not destroy them.”

“Forgive me, Isis!” the man replied, bowing.

The flames died away and the barrier dissolved.

“Iron Head!” Steven said, thrusting Beldum forward with all the strength he could muster. Beldum shot forward, crashing into Solrock and sending both Pokémon tumbling to the ground. As Beldum retreated, a torrent of water from Wallace's Marill ensured that Solrock didn't get up. It disappeared in a flash of light as it was recalled to its Poké Ball.

Steven looked over to see Lunatone's trainer do the same. Winona's Swellow touched down lightly on the ground next to her.

“Very impressive,” Isis said. “I would not have expected such skill from some so young. But I am afraid none of you have the skill or power necessary to stop us here.” She nodded to her Alakazam, whose spoons began to glow purple.

The whole world began to spin and Steven lost sight of Wallace and Winona. Steven grabbed Beldum and clutched him to his chest as tight as he could manage. He closed his eyes against the streaks of blue, green, and brown that passed before them. He felt his knees buckle underneath him, but he never felt them hit the ground. He opened his mouth to scream but no sound came out. His stomach rose up into his throat and his heart felt like it would burst.

Then it all stopped.

He opened his eyes, head still spinning, and tried to sit up. The ground shook. Leaves rustled nearby.

Then he realized he was high up in a tree.

Last edited:
Re: Stainless Steel: or, Steven Stone's Adventures in Hoenn (3)

Cliffhanger! Nice chapter, Lugion. Your dialog is great. The back and forth between Wallace and Steven is just so realistic sounding, if that makes any sense. Your characters' dialog really enriches their personality, which is really advanced stuff.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom