• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stars of Generation V

Thundagere

Rocking the Lucario
Reaction score
Thanks to Angad for an original thread title ;-)
The BW metagame has, as you all know, fully gotten under way. All of us, pretty much, have been battling online or on PO, and getting to know all the different Pokémon. This thread is basically for discussing the Pokémon that stand out as useful or awesome. There are just some Pokémon that are always staples on your teams or that lead you to victory; this is where to discuss them.
Also, this thread is mainly about Gen V Pokémon, but if there's something that became insanely more useful due to getting a new ability, do tell.

I'll start off with a few, to also show the format and what I mean.

Mienshao
620000.gif

Abilities: Inner Focus, Regenerator, Reckless.
Type: Fighting

Mienshao is one of the new fighting types this generation, and for me, has proven very useful. It's base 105 Speed and 125 attack make it a potent sweeper. It's ability, Regenerator, along with Drain Punch, makes it very powerful, and easy to regain health. It's pretty frail, with Base 60 defenses, but it's speed and power mean that this isn't that big of a problem. Reckless is also quite useful on it, because it applies to Hi Jump Kick. This, along with STAB, gives Hi Jump Kick HUGE power; it can KO just about anything that's not a major physical wall. Even then, it'll take a dent out.
Mienshao also gets Aura Sphere, and a respectable 95 Special Attack. It's Special Attacking force isn't huge, but it's doable. I've found, though, that physical sets tend to work better. It's movepool also gives it enough options to wreak quite a bit of havoc. THe movepool isn't huge, mind, but it gets Swords Dance, and it's good speed gives it quite a few options.

Volcarona
637.gif

Abilities: Flame Body, Swarm
Type: Bug/Fire

Probably saw this coming, huh? Volcarona is one of the major stars of the fifth generation, and I can see a lot of discussion on this thing. It's typing isn't that great, honestly. The stealth rock weakness is crippling. But I've still found it to be a MAJOR force in the metagame. It gets Quiver Dance, and although it's typing has SR weakness, it has resistances to types such as Fighting. With the powerful new fighters this generation, that's something to be aware of. It's stats are also great, with 100 Speed, 105 Special Defense, and 135 Special Attack! This works great with Quiver Dance.
I've also found that it's movepool gives you quite interesting options. The Psychic-Fire-Bug has only been stopped by Heatran. It's very effective and after one boost, can rip teams apart. I've often found that by simply switching in on Skarm and getting to one boost, I can eliminate numerous Mons on my opponent's team. It's certainly a very powerful pokemon in the metagame.

That's the basic idea, to post background info on the Pokémon and why it's so powerful in the metagame, then let discussion reign.

Last edited:
579.gif

Reuniclus​

Viable Roles: Trick Room Sweeper, Calm Mind, Anti-Lead, TrickSpecs
Viable Abilities: Magic Guard, (DW) Regenerator
Notable Moves: Focus Blast, Psychic, Psyshock, Shadow Ball, HP Fire, Trick Room, Recover, Calm Mind, Trick,

The underdog who proved to be quite the threat, Reuniclus wasn't seen as the offensive powerhouse that it became. Poorly built offensive teams were decimated by the Trick Room Set, while stall teams were being obliterated by the Calm Mind set. This pokemon has the Special attack stat of Alakazam, while having the defenses comparable to Mew and the other pixie legendaries. This pokemon was even considered to be Uber (Although I doubt they will ban it now), considering it's few counters were only Scizor, Escavalier, and CB Tar. And any team not prepared for this destructive pokemon will soon find themselves on the losing end of the batlle.

I also think Volcarona counters Reuniclus fairly well. After one Quiver Dance, it is capable of OHKOing with Bug Buzz. I've noticed that Volcarona and Reuniclus usage is similar, this may be the reason.

The only possible way that reuniclus could beat volcorona would be if it has hidden power rock, or has set up more than 1 calm mind.
I use volcorona, and reuniclus is simply a gift for me to set up on.

Counters to a volcorona sweep i've found are, Zapdos in a rain dance team, Heatran (however, without earthpower there is not much he can do against you, so i stay in set up 4+ quivers and bug dance for a 2KO. Rain dance kingdra and sandstorm excadrill. The most annoying counter however is undoubtably gyrados, whom volcorana has no chance against whatsoever. Therefore running it with a powerful pysical wall works wonders, myself i run dusknoir with thunderpunch, fire punch and will-o-wisp. It works wonders countering volcorona's counters :D

The only possible way that reuniclus could beat volcorona would be if it has hidden power rock, or has set up more than 1 calm mind.
I use volcorona, and reuniclus is simply a gift for me to set up on.

Counters to a volcorona sweep i've found are, Zapdos in a rain dance team, Heatran (however, without earthpower there is not much he can do against you, so i stay in set up 4+ quivers and bug dance for a 2KO. Rain dance kingdra and sandstorm excadrill. The most annoying counter however is undoubtably gyrados, whom volcorana has no chance against whatsoever. Therefore running it with a powerful pysical wall works wonders, myself i run dusknoir with thunderpunch, fire punch and will-o-wisp. It works wonders countering volcorona's counters :D

Actually, my Volcarona has Psychic, if I can get a few boosts, I'm pretty sure it can OHKO Gyarados (I forget how many boosts you need though...don't see Gyara much anymore).
Oh, and CB Azumarrill is another Pokémon I should probably mention. It's EXTREMELY useful in the new metagame. CB STAB Aqua Jet takes out Blaziken (until it got the bump to Ubers), OHKOs Excadrill in the sand, and OHKOs Volcarona. It's very useful as a revenge killer in the new metagame.

It hasn't changed, it's the other pokemon that have changed, a lot of the top threats are weak to water, and in rain it just demolises teams.

I also think Volcarona counters Reuniclus fairly well. After one Quiver Dance, it is capable of OHKOing with Bug Buzz. I've noticed that Volcarona and Reuniclus usage is similar, this may be the reason.

Volcarona doesn't counter Reuniclus because it can't safely switch in and force Reuniclus out. TR Reuniclus OHKO's standard Volcarona with Psychic after SR damage and +1 CM LO Reuniclus even has a chance to OHKO without SR damage. Volcarona can, however, beat CM Reuniclus 1-on-1 if neither starts with any boosts.

From what i've seen, stealth rock is not as dominant as it was before, with many leads choosing weather and offence over set up, as long as volcorona is in quickly it is fine. In fact switching volcorana in on the turn stealth rock is coming in is a brilliant way to set up. Without stealth rock, volcorana beats reunicles every time. you have to remember that volcorana will always get a quiver dance in before reunicles attacks as it switches in on calm minds, and if reunicles attacks rather than calm minds, the spD is open to a bug buzz as volcorana won't be KO'd.

I know Azu hasn't changed, I just wanted to point it out as rising in the metagame.
And about Volcarona, I'd also like to point out that there are a lot of teams with Starmie/Excadrill/Etc. and Volcarona. My point being that there are a lot of powerful rapid spinners now—with SR usage down Volcarona still stands extremely good odds against Reuniclus.
Also:

Excadrill
excadrill_spirte_by_bloodspattercrow-d39dmch.gif

Stunner, huh? :sweatlol:
Excadrill is a new pokemon this generation with lots of potential. It has two main abilities: Sand Rush and Sand Force. In my experience, Sand Rush is the better of the two; it doubles Excadrill's speed in a Sandstorm. This, couples with it's HUGE 135 attack stat, makes it a very powerful sweeper with hippowdon or Ttar. It's movepool isn't phenomenol, but it gets the job done, with Swords Dance, Earthquake, Rapid Spin, X-Scissor, Brick Break, and Aerial Ace all being decent options. This thing's Ground/Steel typing gives it a few good resistances. The Air Balloon further shows it's use, the immunity to ground means that common EQ users can't hurt him initially. With Excadrill, you need to have a good and ready counter, or your team will soon feel the pain.​

Remember that reniculus usually runs psycho shock. Also, yeah, excadrill and either Heatran or gyara (depending on the HP type) are great counters. Drizzle + SwSw are banned, so you cant use SwSw Kingdra with politoed.

508.png

This bro
Ask Troggy and Coolking, they were surprised to see this. The ability Sand Rush is really good to make your opponent think that Stout is Scarfed. Now my old set ran a Choice Band, but I upgraded to an Expert Belt, which may soon become a Life Orb. His main move is STAB Return, which at max Happiness does 153 base damage with STAB included. Definite star of OU.​

Stoutland is really good. Something like Return gets you slightly higher than 150 base power, and the elemental fangs give it reasonable coverage. Another thing I've noticed works well is Sand Rush Stoutland+Reversal+Focus Sash. If you haven't got priority, it's going to take a chunk out of your team.

Hmm, yeah he's alright, in UU maybe. Definitely not a star of OU though, i haven't seen one and i've had over 300 battles this gen. Sandrush is good, but when your attack is an average 100 it's just good enough, even with choice band. This gen has so many bulky attackers, suck as machamp, conkledurr, ferrothorn, dusknoir, metagross, lucario, to name a few, that this will just miss out on those vital KO's and be revenge killed :/

Hmm, yeah he's alright, in UU maybe. Definitely not a star of OU though, i haven't seen one and i've had over 300 battles this gen. Sandrush is good, but when your attack is an average 100 it's just good enough, even with choice band. This gen has so many bulky attackers, suck as machamp, conkledurr, ferrothorn, dusknoir, metagross, lucario, to name a few, that this will just miss out on those vital KO's and be revenge killed :/

Maybe, but I still think that in OU, he could be a powerful revenge killer. Excadrill may do his job, but if you're using Excadrill as a mid-game sweeper, I see no reason not have Stoutland in the rafters.

He doesn't star in OU, though. He has a nice niche, but he isn't powerful enough for him to used very often.

He doesn't star in OU, though. He has a nice niche, but he isn't powerful enough for him to used very often.

That's true. If Sandstorm becomes more popular, he may have a usage increase, but I don't see that as very likely. Of course, he could become quite powerful in UU, if he's dropped there. But for now, you're right, he's not a huge force.

When you have to rely on Super Effective coverage for all your moves, you are as good as Electivire.

Stoutland can always land OHKO's on the main Dragons really well using Return. I'm LOing my Stoutland now, seeing how it works.

Its LU for a reason. Excadrill does it better generally. Its faster and more powerful. Unless you are using this along side excadrill, I wouldnt use it, since excadrill can be used as a revenge killer too.

I read earlier about dusknoir.
Is he going to be one of these stars? I'd like to see a new moveset for him actually.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom