• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stars of Generation V

I read earlier about dusknoir.
Is he going to be one of these stars? I'd like to see a new moveset for him actually.

I doubt it because Dusclops outclasses Dusknoir using Eviolite.

Stoutland can always land OHKO's on the main Dragons really well using Return. I'm LOing my Stoutland now, seeing how it works.

I have trouble believing this, could you use some Calcs? The fact that it has to run Fire Fang for Steel types leads to it having some trouble against certain Steel Types.

Is it really OHKO? With Ice Fang...maybe, but Return, it's doubtful.

I read earlier about dusknoir.
Is he going to be one of these stars? I'd like to see a new moveset for him actually.

Dusknoir is pretty much a generic defensive ghost type with a limited movepool. Neither Dusknoir nor Dusclops will be a star in OU, but Dusclops will probably become pretty popular in UU amongst stall teams.

Not completely true, since Dusknoir has a higher Attack stat that it can actually use. Similar reasons for choosing Blissey over Chansey, since Blissey does better using moves like Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.

Not completely true, since Dusknoir has a higher Attack stat that it can actually use. Similar reasons for choosing Blissey over Chansey, since Blissey does better using moves like Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.

Still, Dusclops and Chansey's main purposes are as walls, not as attackers. The Evolite boost makes their pre evos more adept at this.
Of course, I'm not denying that I love baiting a Scizor with Blissey and using Flamethrower....but still...

Angad I'll get to those Calc's when I'm not as busy. But it can be done with some Rocks damage.

I think one of the biggest stars is Ferrothorn. This Grass/Steel-type is currently the most used Pokemon in OU, being on more than 20% of all OU teams. The thing has massive Defense, good Sp. Defense, and usable Attack, and it certainly has a lot of usable moves: Power Whip, Gyro Ball, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, and more. Power Whip is naturally powerful, what with STAB raising its power to 180. With Gyro Ball, Ferrothorn's abysmal Speed is actually a blessing. Stealth Rock and Spikes are standard entry hazards that can really hurt switchins. Thunder Wave sets up some dangerous foes for a teammate to sweep, and Leech Seed allows it to heal itself. Really, the only moves it misses out on are Rapid Spin and a reliable healing move not named Rest. Iron Barbs is its ability, and with it, the iron durian's painful to use contact moves on; the Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet combo is quite common. The big clincher here is its typing, which gives it a handful of resistences (Normal, Ghost, Poison [immune], Rock, Steel, Water, Grass [double], Electric, Psychic, Dragon, Dark) and only two weaknesses: Fire (double) and Fighting. It partners well with a special wall named Jellicent; the JelliThorn combo (as I call it) is common and quite dependable.

In fact, why not talk about Jellicent? It's a Water/Ghost-type with great Sp. Defense and HP, as well as usable Sp. Attack and Defense. Both of its normal abilities (Water Absorb and Cursed Body) are useful. Again, you see a slew of useful moves: Scald, Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Taunt, Shadow Ball, and more. Scald is a reliable Water move that has a 30% chance of burning the foe. Of course, if you want to be more sure about the burn, Will-O-Wisp is always an option. Recover is a fantastic recovery move, as it and its relatives have proven. Taunt is somewhat useful, particularly against Conkeldurr and Reuniclus, among others. Shaodw Ball is a dependable second STAB. Once again, the typing really helps it out; although it has more weaknesses than Ferro (Ghost, Grass, Electric, Dark), its resistences (Normal [immune], Fighting [immune], Bug, Poison, Steel, Fire, Water [immune with Water Absorb, resistent otherwise], Ice) simply cannot be ignored.

I think one of the biggest stars is Ferrothorn. This Grass/Steel-type is currently the most used Pokemon in OU, being on more than 20% of all OU teams. The thing has massive Defense, good Sp. Defense, and usable Attack, and it certainly has a lot of usable moves: Power Whip, Gyro Ball, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, and more. Power Whip is naturally powerful, what with STAB raising its power to 180. With Gyro Ball, Ferrothorn's abysmal Speed is actually a blessing. Stealth Rock and Spikes are standard entry hazards that can really hurt switchins. Thunder Wave sets up some dangerous foes for a teammate to sweep, and Leech Seed allows it to heal itself. Really, the only moves it misses out on are Rapid Spin and a reliable healing move not named Rest. Iron Barbs is its ability, and with it, the iron durian's painful to use contact moves on; the Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet combo is quite common. The big clincher here is its typing, which gives it a handful of resistences (Normal, Ghost, Poison [immune], Rock, Steel, Water, Grass [double], Electric, Psychic, Dragon, Dark) and only two weaknesses: Fire (double) and Fighting. It partners well with a special wall named Jellicent; the JelliThorn combo (as I call it) is common and quite dependable.

In fact, why not talk about Jellicent? It's a Water/Ghost-type with great Sp. Defense and HP, as well as usable Sp. Attack and Defense. Both of its normal abilities (Water Absorb and Cursed Body) are useful. Again, you see a slew of useful moves: Scald, Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Taunt, Shadow Ball, and more. Scald is a reliable Water move that has a 30% chance of burning the foe. Of course, if you want to be more sure about the burn, Will-O-Wisp is always an option. Recover is a fantastic recovery move, as it and its relatives have proven. Taunt is somewhat useful, particularly against Conkeldurr and Reuniclus, among others. Shaodw Ball is a dependable second STAB. Once again, the typing really helps it out; although it has more weaknesses than Ferro (Ghost, Grass, Electric, Dark), its resistences (Normal [immune], Fighting [immune], Bug, Poison, Steel, Fire, Water [immune with Water Absorb, resistent otherwise], Ice) simply cannot be ignored.

I agree with what you said about Ferrothorn.

Jellicent isn't that useful, as it walls but doesn't accomplish much. It deters momentum.

jellicent is a weaker vaporeon with the ability to spin block and an extra immunity (but weaknesses to Dark and ghost). For stall its better, but for balanced vapo is better.

Conkeldurr, Whimsicott, Scrafty, Zoroark, and Chandelure are stars. Well, I'm not too sure about Chandelure yet. Anyway, Conkeldurr's doozy Mach Punch and Drain Punch are, well, doozies. Whimsicott has that mischievous little ability. Scrafty has fantastic offensive and defensive typing for a dragon, a great defensive ability, augmented stats, and is, as mentioned, a dragon. Zoroark's abilty will always have potential, and Zoroark has a sweeper's build to boot.

Chandelure has great typing this gen, it seems. The only pokemon mentioned in this thread earlier that can give him alot of trouble is Excadrill.

Haxorus will be a star eventually, I think. Rivalry can act as a Choice Band in addition to it or in absence of it, whereas Mold Breaker allows Earthquake to strike through Levitate pokemon.

And I think I wrapped up the rest of Gen. V's immediate stars. I think Darmanitan is a bit short of starpower, but he's pretty useable.

^^Scrafty isn't part Dragon type. He may have Dragon Dance, but he's a Dark/Fighting type Pokemon.

Also Mold Breaker always is better than Rivalry. Rivalry is good against the same gender, but messes you up against the opposite gender. Not really worth it.

For me Zoroak isn't really star-worthy, however in Dream World Sableye has been running loose everywhere (I know, I use him).

Conkeldurr, Whimsicott, Scrafty, Zoroark, and Chandelure are stars. Well, I'm not too sure about Chandelure yet. Anyway, Conkeldurr's doozy Mach Punch and Drain Punch are, well, doozies. Whimsicott has that mischievous little ability. Scrafty has fantastic offensive and defensive typing for a dragon, a great defensive ability, augmented stats, and is, as mentioned, a dragon. Zoroark's abilty will always have potential, and Zoroark has a sweeper's build to boot.

Chandelure has great typing this gen, it seems. The only pokemon mentioned in this thread earlier that can give him alot of trouble is Excadrill.

Haxorus will be a star eventually, I think. Rivalry can act as a Choice Band in addition to it or in absence of it, whereas Mold Breaker allows Earthquake to strike through Levitate pokemon.

And I think I wrapped up the rest of Gen. V's immediate stars. I think Darmanitan is a bit short of starpower, but he's pretty useable.

Conkeldurr, OK.

Whimsicott is screwed over by magic bounce completely. Also, hitting it on the switch in and not letting set up is a good idea. It may wreck stall, but it stinks against offense. Not really a star.

Scrafty and defense? What? Yeah, its a good DDer but that doesnt mean its part dragon. Its good though, just watch out for the influx of fighting types you see everywhere, bounce gyarados, and and stuff with super power (like Dnite).

Zoroak, having used him, is over rated. Hes UU for a reason. That doesnt make him a star. Team preview screws him over, and once he takes damage you can tell what he is compared to the other last pokemon.

Chendulure doesnt check excadrill. It is dominated by excadrill, who outspeeds and KOs without boost using Earthquake. If it uses a balloon, use Rock slide. The KO isnt garunteed but at +2 it is, which means its not a counter. Limited move pool, ghost typing, and bad defenses hold it down. I prefer Heatran.

Haxorus has 3 moves it can use, and is easily stopped. Base 99 speed means its outsped by base 100s and above. Outrage is excadrill set up bait. Brick break is set up bait for ghosts (and egyptian bird thing), and EQ is stopped by Flyers and balloon pokemon. Without a choice item its outsped and KO'd. Its not good at all, and wont be since Dnite, Mence, Garchomp, and even sazandora are better. And dont say they will be banned. The only one even close is Chomp, thanks to Sand Veil.

Darmantincan is kind of a star, since its CB Flare Blitz hits like a truck WITHOUT the sun. Its a scuicide bomber though, kinda like volt tackle pikachu but stronger.

I dont get the lack of mention of Voltos and virizion. Both wreck havoc, one versus rain the other versus Sandstorm.

Darmantincan is kind of a star, since its CB Flare Blitz hits like a truck WITHOUT the sun. Its a scuicide bomber though, kinda like volt tackle pikachu but stronger.

I dont get the lack of mention of Voltos and virizion. Both wreck havoc, one versus rain the other versus Sandstorm.

Darmanitan is actually kind of a pain. Even resisted + Intimidate + Defensive Gyarados takes a chunk of damage. Sheesh.

Virizion doesn't usually give me too much trouble, I suppose that's because it has weak offensive stats to start with. I can see how it is good against SS though.

Voltos is a nice candidate for Uber to me. What a pain in the neck. I suppose without Rain teams everywhere, he would be *slightly* less ridiculous, but the coverage, the speed, the attacking stats...ugh.

Let's be honest about the real stars of the metagame though, it's Rain and Sandstorm. Sucks to be you if you don't run either.

Last edited:
The thing is, nothing on sandstorm can really stop virizion, especially after 1 or 2 CMs/SDs. HP ice/Giga Drain/ Focus blast deals with the whole typical SS team, and you need to not only outspeed it but also KO it, which stuff like excadrill cant do.

Similarly, Voltos rips aprt everything on a rain team. Politoed? Thunder. Vaporeon or Jellicent... set up bait. Nattorei? Focus blast. Cloyster? I doubt ice shard KOs, and that special defense stat isnt taking any hits.

the last real anti metagame pokemon is azumaril, which KO's Blaziken (now uber), excadrill, landlos, Gliscor, Ttar, and alot of other weakened threats. If it has Uturn it would be just as good as Scizor, but with a better attacking type.

Similarly, Voltos rips aprt everything on a rain team. Politoed? Thunder. Vaporeon or Jellicent... set up bait. Nattorei? Focus blast. Cloyster? I doubt ice shard KOs, and that special defense stat isnt taking any hits.

That's cute and everything, but the main problem is that Voltos is ON rain teams ;p

I'm afraid i wholeheartedly disagree. I run a dusknoir, will-o-wisp, ice punch, fire punch and shadow sneak, and it counters some of the most powerful sweepers, salamence, scizor, latias, excadrill, gyarados, garchomp, reunicules even ferrothorn. with the right investment in attack and defence evs, none of the above can KO a dusknoir with one attack, and are either KO'd by a 4X weakness punch, crippled by will-o-wisp or slowely taken down with shadow sneak. Dusclops can only burn then in the same was as dusknoir, the drop in attack is just not acceptable for use in the current metagame and it can't even use leftovers.
Evolite dusclops is, and always will be, a pokemon for skilled players to simply set up on with no trouble.

I'm afraid i wholeheartedly disagree. I run a dusknoir, will-o-wisp, ice punch, fire punch and shadow sneak, and it counters some of the most powerful sweepers, salamence, scizor, latias, excadrill, gyarados, garchomp, reunicules even ferrothorn. with the right investment in attack and defence evs, none of the above can KO a dusknoir with one attack, and are either KO'd by a 4X weakness punch, crippled by will-o-wisp or slowely taken down with shadow sneak. Dusclops can only burn then in the same was as dusknoir, the drop in attack is just not acceptable for use in the current metagame and it can't even use leftovers.
Evolite dusclops is, and always will be, a pokemon for skilled players to simply set up on with no trouble.

Dusclops does lose leftovers, but unless you are running an Adamant Dusknoir, or a lot of Attack EVs, I think Dusclops still makes sense overall.

Dusclops @ Eviolite with an Adamant nature and 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def gives stats of 284/262/446/140/445/86 factoring in the item boost.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers with Impish nature and 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD gives stats of 294/236/405/149/307/126.

I would agree with you that if you need an attack higher than 262 to counter certain physical attackers, then Dusknoir may still have a niche. However, you will be giving up a lot of bulk (stat-wise) in doing that.

Oh, and I know most Dusclops are not Adamant with max attack, I was just trying to fit the comparison to the set you mentioned above.

You are right about the ability to gain higher attack while keeping defence, but I run impish dusknoir with 252 evs and enough defence and hp evs to withstand a salamence outrage, i did originally try dusclops, maxing his attack, however even a 4X weakness of a base 70 attack power will not get many KO's.
I think perhaps it is simply my battle style, walls that are there just to stop attackers without KOing them are just not my style, every pokemon on my team attacks with a base stat of 100 or more, it keeps walls and stallers like whisicott at bay.

On a seperate note, one of my favourate pokemon from genV who is incredibly underused is terrakion, as a scarf user. monsterous 129 base attack with stab close combat and stone edge, a speed stat that with a scarf means he will out speed all non scarf users minus ninjask and deoxys-s, typing and movepool does slightly let him down and he could seriously use u-turn, but with prediction he can be a monster.

Yeah, I see your point. Probably the only situation Dusknoir isn't outclassed is trying to get Elemental Punch OHKOs. Dusclops does ~70-80% to offensive Garchomp with Ice Punch, I suppose Dusknoir can OHKO. The one main problem with Dusknoir with that much attack is that boosted sweepers can break your defenses much easier.

I don't think Terrakion is underused, that thing can be a real hassle. I see it pretty often, at least on the simulator.

There are quite a few rising stars in Gen V, and I'll try and group them into categories here:

598.png

Ferrothorn - The best new pokemon in the game, hands down. This thing is on par with the ubers and checks so many different pokemon.

Then we have some new extremely dangerous sweepers:
530.png
642.png
645.png
534.png
579.png

The ridiculous attacking stats given to these guys should make it fairly obvious why they get used a lot.

And then, to everyone's surprise, it turns out that fire types are actually good this time around!
609.png
637.png

Special mention goes to:
257.png

For coming out of nowhere as the best sweeper to possibly ever exist. It's not new but is definitely one of, if not THE star of Gen V

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom