• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stars of Generation V

Yeah, I'm not touching UU until stuff like that is gone. Houndoom is awesome and all, but who wants to be forced to run one. If they see you have one, they may Brick Break right off the bat anyway. I was reading through a warstory, and even though the person managed to eventually take Victini down and win, they still took a lot of damage because the thing was able to keep hitting and running.

On a related note, how does everyone run their Vulpix in UU? I guess I could poke around and see, but I would assume it's probably Calm with maybe 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD @ Eviolite?

Don't forget Own Tempo+ Petal Dance. After one Quiver Dance, it destroys. I could even see it going OU in future, since it would destroy stuff in UU.
Or maybe BL. Still, it's a powerful sweeper.

sleep powder and substitute as well
i beleive it gets hidden power too so that would be useful

and sadly, its not good enough for OU :/

I'm not buying Petal Dance Lilligant. Being locked into such a bad offensive type move is not going to end well for you.

I ran 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD with a Calm Nature and an Eviolite stone as the item. I got the spread from the Defensive EVs Applet. With stats of 280, 264, and 280, respectively after the Eviolite boost, Vulpix is surprisingly bulky.

Also, Houndoom is an overrated Victini check. Flash Fire Arcanine functions better overall than Houndoom on most teams and can still reliably force Victini out with the threat of a powerful ExtremeSpeed.

I ran 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD with a Calm Nature and an Eviolite stone as the item. I got the spread from the Defensive EVs Applet. With stats of 280, 264, and 280, respectively after the Eviolite boost, Vulpix is surprisingly bulky.

Also, Houndoom is an overrated Victini check. Flash Fire Arcanine functions better overall than Houndoom on most teams and can still reliably force Victini out with the threat of a powerful ExtremeSpeed.

Ahh, yeah that makes sense. Can't always pull the best EV spread out of thin air :)

True, Arcanine is cuter also. I still think Victini deserves the banhammer.

Grass makes for a much better offensive type than a defensive type in the BW OU metagame.

I never thought I'd be hearing comments like these uttered with complete seriousness. I'm so proud of how far the Grass types have gone this Gen. Stuff like Ferrothorn, Virizion, Whimsicott and Venusaur (under the sun) prove just how awesome the type can be.

Not to mention they're the only certain answer to a certain rising star: Unaware Quagsire. That thing trolls setup sweepers!

Not to mention they're the only certain answer to a certain rising star: Unaware Quagsire. That thing trolls setup sweepers!

As much as I detest it, Unaware Quagsire is an amazing counter for many of the metagame's top stars.

Quagsire_is_Happy_by_Kota12.png

Quagsire is the reason I have to run Virizion on my HO team.

Quagsire is the reason I have to run Virizion on my HO team.

Lucky for me, I always somehow manage to take it down. Usually Evolite Dusclops works well.
Back on topic....I didn't see a huge mention of Hydregon, I think Feliciano mentioned him a while back...at any rate, he's definitely a powerful force. Great special attack, decent defenses, and a reasonable attack mean that he functions great as a Scarfed Mon. Draco Meteor is insanely powerful, and scarf means U-Turn will usually hit first.

Lucky for me, I always somehow manage to take it down. Usually Evolite Dusclops works well.
Back on topic....I didn't see a huge mention of Hydregon, I think Feliciano mentioned him a while back...at any rate, he's definitely a powerful force. Great special attack, decent defenses, and a reasonable attack mean that he functions great as a Scarfed Mon. Draco Meteor is insanely powerful, and scarf means U-Turn will usually hit first.

Hydreigon is pretty much a slower, weaker Latios with U-Turn and Fire Blast. The lack of a Pursuit weakness helps, but it is still an inferior dragon-type sweeper. If Latios is banned, however, Hydreigon will probably rise up in usage to fill the empty space.

i HATE quagsire with every fibre of my body this gen. I've always been strongly opposed to using stall as a style of play in a pokemon game, but quagsire is just taking the biscuit.

and hydregion is just not fast enough, even as a choice user for me, espcecially with stuff like swift swim and chloroform pokemon running riot, also it gets revenge killed easily my scarf users like infernape and terrakion

@HH.
I honestly do think that Latios will be banned. On my team, the best counter I have is CB Azumarill with Ice Punch, but I don't think it'll be OU.
And Hydreigon may be pretty slow, but I've found that once you beat all Steel Types, Draco Meteor can be deadly. It works great with Volcarona, since VOlcarona resists it's weaknesses, IIRC, and can destroy steel types.

Latios probably will be banned. Hydreigon is bested by it mostly due to Latios' higher speed and SpA (I think). It can be stopped by ferrothorn though, as well as most pursuiters like Ttar and scizor. Its pretty frail too, so good prediction takes it out. However it should be banned, I agree.

I've gotta say Ferrothorn, Quags, Blaziken, Xatu and Espeon have really shone this gen. Same with Ninetails and Politoed, but weather sucks so meh.

I've gotta say Ferrothorn, Quags, Blaziken, Xatu and Espeon have really shone this gen. Same with Ninetails and Politoed, but weather sucks so meh.

I don't thinK Xatu and Espeon have really shone this generation. They're good because of Magic Bounce, but are they really stars? I think they more of have their own niche in the metagame, but if something like Scizor switches in, if they don't carry HP Fire, then it's set up bait.

I guess I would take this to be the best Espy set:

Timid / Light Clay / Magic Bounce
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- HP Fire
6 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed*

*EV set's quick and can be easily modified for bulk.

Being entirely male and coming immediately as Espeon (meaning no Eevee), Baton Pass is inaccessible. Therefore, the next best thing for Espy is setting up Dual Screens. Psychic's just for attack purposes (could mess up Conkeldurr or something) and HP Fire prevents Scizor from setting up.

I guess I would take this to be the best Espy set:

Timid / Light Clay / Magic Bounce
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- HP Fire
6 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed*

*EV set's quick and can be easily modified for bulk.

Being entirely male and coming immediately as Espeon (meaning no Eevee), Baton Pass is inaccessible. Therefore, the next best thing for Espy is setting up Dual Screens. Psychic's just for attack purposes (could mess up Conkeldurr or something) and HP Fire prevents Scizor from setting up.
Espeon's sorta frail, is it best for a Dual Screener? It's got the speed, though.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom