• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stars of Generation V

I've been a sandstorm runner since gen 3, just the way i play, to a certain extent, it's replaced my entry hazards, which i'm only now starting to use.

Early on I too thought stall was dead, Ferrothorn is the king of stall (but has one glaring weakness).

But it's true, Sandstorm is the star of gen 5 and i hate it, my secondary recursive damage just isn't there anymore because so many pokemon resist the storm.

Blaziken is the 12th most used Pokemon in the Uber tier, according to Smogon's usage statistics.

Justsayin'

I think the Blaziken thing is really arguable, depending on which way your look at it.
I agree about Terrakion, it's just deadly. Even without Scarf, the thing's pretty fast, and that crazy attack, with Sacred Sword (or even Close Combat, though the drop is bad) can destroy teams. There aren't that many good counters for this.

I've found Claydol to be a great Terrakion counter, but the thing's slightly underrated and very much underused (hence, UU); I'm just using it for my own reasons.

Double Dance Terrakion > Choice Scarf Terrakion, IMO

There are better revenge killers than Terrakion, but there isn't a sweeper in OU right now that can do what the Double Dance set can.

I am un-familar with double dance terrakion?

As a scarfer it seems to work amazingly well for me, it's typing gives it the ability to come in on many threats

He's talking about Swords Dance/Rock Polish Terrakion, probably with Stone Edge/Close Combat for the last two slots.

I personally think this is the better version of it

He's talking about Swords Dance/Rock Polish Terrakion, probably with Stone Edge/Close Combat for the last two slots.

I personally think this is the better version of it

By himself he's threatening; with this, he's a terror. Once Terrakion has gotten both, or even one, boost, he's nigh unbeatable.

Have any of you guys seen that VGC final or whatever? The strategy involving Terrakion and Whimsicott was sheer brilliance.

First turn, Terrakion Protects while Whimsicott uses Tailwind to double the team's Speed for a few turns. This includes Terrakion, giving it the equivalent of a Rock Polish.

Second turn, if Whimsicott's still alive, it uses Beat Up on Terrakion. The attack does negligible damage, and each hit activates Justified; four hits = two Swords Dances.

In two turns, you have a monster!

EDIT: Here it is.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that! That was an awesome strategy - I kinda want to steal it now :p A pity they still lost the match, though

If you ask me, Burton the Amoonguss should have KO'd Thundurus outright instead of Sporing it. Then Chandelure would have fallen to Spore followed by Rock Slide.

Chandelure outspeeds Amoonguss, though. It would have at least gotten in a hit.

Speaking of, back on the actual topic of this thread, I've been seeing a lot of Amoongus around Youtube battles. It appears to make a pretty damn good physical wall.

^ Tailwind was still up, I should point out. On that fateful turn, with just one last turn of Tailwind, Scrafty would have had to choose who to Fake Out: the ridiculously-boosted Terrakion or the seemingly-random Amoonguss. Terrakion would be the obvious choice. On that same turn, Amoonguss, taking advantage of Tailwind, would outspeed Chandy and Spore it.

EDIT: Wait. The Chandelure must have been Scarfed (it outsped Terrakion), and Amoonguss is quite slow. I guess I may have been a bit wrong there.

And I see that it would be a good physical wall, at least in the sun (which boosts Synthesis).

Last edited:
Speaking of, back on the actual topic of this thread, I've been seeing a lot of Amoongus around Youtube battles. It appears to make a pretty damn good physical wall.

Amoonguss seems pretty meh to me. Grass makes for a much better offensive type than a defensive type in the BW OU metagame.

^ agreed, to a large extent this is mainly because of ferrothorn and grass's immunity to leech seed.

A random thought for discussion, Lilligant, as a star of the UU gen V metagame. 90 speed 110 spA and access to quiver dance and a good typing, i can see this becoming as used as Blazekin was in gen IV UU (lol, irony..)

^ agreed, to a large extent this is mainly because of ferrothorn and grass's immunity to leech seed.

A random thought for discussion, Lilligant, as a star of the UU gen V metagame. 90 speed 110 spA and access to quiver dance and a good typing, i can see this becoming as used as Blazekin was in gen IV UU (lol, irony..)

Don't forget Own Tempo+ Petal Dance. After one Quiver Dance, it destroys. I could even see it going OU in future, since it would destroy stuff in UU.
Or maybe BL. Still, it's a powerful sweeper.

Victini with v-generate is a beast in UU. You need to run a pokemon with flash fire or 4x resist to fire, or its gonna kill something over and over again. Unless you run Pursuit houndoom with flash fire, and make sure they dont catch the brick break, you will lose something.

Victini with v-generate is a beast in UU. You need to run a pokemon with flash fire or 4x resist to fire, or its gonna kill something over and over again. Unless you run Pursuit houndoom with flash fire, and make sure they dont catch the brick break, you will lose something.

Give it a few months, I'm pretty sure Victini will move up. Still, in whatever tier, you're definitely right, it does star. Even without V-Generate, it can net some very nice KOs.
White Herb+V-Create can be destruction.

Victini with V-Create is absurdly broken and will be banned from UU whenever the first round of suspect voting ends. Despite this, it will still probably be used sparingly in OU on sun teams.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom