• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
They're all kinda... ugly... Their designs might grow on me but they just seem bland and weird.
I thought I was the only one who felt like this.

Popplio reminds me of Oshawott for some reason.

I was just thinking the same thing! I'll pick it since I've got a 14 yr tradition of choosing the water starters, but I'm not crazy about the design or the name.

Litten, being a starter, will be the best cat-based pokemon since Gen 1 Persian.

First takes:

Diggin' Rowlet, it's seriously a contender for my pick -- my only issue is I've had my eye on the regional bird and I try to avoid type overlap. Who knows, though! Litten is actually really cool, I like the black, it's definitely different. Did anyone else notice the fur/spikes that stand up on his back when he attacks? I'm getting a total Fire/Ghost ghoul-like cat vibe. I'll have to look into the lore for more information. And lastly, Popplio, another contender, mostly because I've almost always chosen the Water-starter first. I have high hopes that this little guy will evolve into a Water/Fighting type, I get that vibe from his description on the website.

Anyway, cannot wait! These three all have potential and are quickly growing on me!

Admittedly it wasn't exactly love at first sight for me when I first laid eyes on them, but then we got to see them in all there Sugimori art goodness and I just can't help but love the little guys. In-game 3D models just don't seem to really cut it as far as introductions go now do they?

I personally like all 3 from the looks. Overall as of right now though Rowlett is my favorite

GameFreak just had to go and base two of the starters on my favourite animals didn't they? I'm really torn between Rowlet and Popplio, but I think I'm leaning towards Popplio at this stage.
CiGMAu-XAAAIzN3.jpg

I love all the starters though; Litten's design is really cool. Not sure I like Rowlet's English name though. Too similar to Rufflet?

Last edited:
I wonder if we're going to get another situation where one starter is a fan favourite but the final form is considered to be underwhelming, and one is considered to be meh but the final form is regarded as the best of the bunch. This seems to happen quite often.

Anyway, being a fan of owls (in spite of my slight streak of ornithophobia), I think Rowlet is my pick of the trio in this pre-knowing-the-first-and-second-evos period. As for Litten and Popplio, it's still too early to tell how I rank them.

And cue the inevitable Futurama Popplers meme...

There is a major shift in artstyle, especially for the concept art. This new sugimori style, is interesting, to say the least. Not feeling the starters yet. But if little is fire/poison due to the oils in its fur then all is forgiven.

There is a major shift in artstyle, especially for the concept art. This new sugimori style, is interesting, to say the least. Not feeling the starters yet. But if little is fire/poison due to tye pils in its fur then all is forgiven.
Fire/poison? FIRE/POISON?!

Yep, I'll happily accept that over grass owl.

Don't get too excited Ryu. It might be Fire/Dark, like others cat Pokemon.

The water starter reminds me of a clown. I'm scared of clowns. *puts it in a pile with Mr. mime, Mime Jr. and Oshawott* You.. you stay there. We'll talk when you evolve. Just like Oshawott. Unless of course you keep that clown look. Otherwise you can all float down there.

Fire/Dark for Litten would make me a happy camper. Dark types are boss. Fire/Poison would ALSO make me a happy camper because Fire/Dark/Poison are my beloveds.

Fire/poison? FIRE/POISON?!

Yep, I'll happily accept that over grass owl.
Would definitely make me use the fire starter as well if it happens. First time since Typhlosion in my case. I have a funny feeling Popplio is going to stay one type, or perhaps water/fighting. However that does give it a huge disadvantage if the above typing happens.

The water starter reminds me of a clown. I'm scared of clowns. *puts it in a pile with Mr. mime, Mime Jr. and Oshawott* You.. you stay there. We'll talk when you evolve. Just like Oshawott. Unless of course you keep that clown look. Otherwise you can all float down there.

Fire/Dark for Litten would make me a happy camper. Dark types are boss. Fire/Poison would ALSO make me a happy camper because Fire/Dark/Poison are my beloveds.

You've just Seel the big deals there :D

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom