• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
I think of the three, I prefer Litten more. Rowlet is cute but I'm still taken aback by it, and I'm not too fond of the clown seal. All of the designs are kind of unexpected for me. I'm going to reserve my final judgment on them though until I see their final forms.

I think all three have good designs and quite possibly trumps the Kalos starters first stages (which I thought were all really good back during XY's pre-release).

The cat was a bit eh at first but I've warmed up to it (puns...) and the concept with it using oils from its fur is genius. Also fiery hairballs. Fire/Dark seems obvious for its evolution, but maybe it's TOO obvious and will go another direction.

Popplio I think is in an unfortunate position. It sadly has to compete with a Grass owl and a Fire cat which are immediately big fan wants for starters, while at the same time it's drawing comparisons to Oshawott for a lot of people. I really like it, but I can see why it's not getting as much attention as it feels a little bland in comparison to Rowlett and Litten. I hope its evolutions draw more fans to it. It seems like it could be going down an acrobat/circus performer route which is interesting, especially since I'm finding it hard to pin a potential dual typing down for it from its design. If it stays pure Water I can see even more people comparing it to the Oshawott line which would be unfair too.

Rowlett is the best. I've already shouted about my love for it and I'm super stoked that it's Grass/Flying since earlier in the thread that's one I wanted. PLEASE don't mess up its evolutions Game Freak ;_;

RIP Fire/Poison gila monster, I'll bring you out for my wishlist for Gen VIII...

I really like these starters. Popplio is easily my favorite out of the batch. It's just so adorable and I love the circus performance vibe with its official art too. It looks so huggable. I kind of hope that it doesn't evolve into a Water/Ice type, but it might to counter Rowlet. Litten is rather cute too. It has a nice design and does make me think it will evolve into a Fire/Dark type. Rowlet is quite a surprise with being a Grass/Flying type. I do like it for being unique and that the Grass Owl Pokemon is finally a thing.

I'm definitely going to choose Popplio in one of the games, but it's a trickier call between Litten and Rowlet. It probably will depend on what other Fire and Flying Pokemon are available and how their evolved forms look like. At the moment, I think Litten has an edge due to its design and how I like to choose the Fire and Water starters at the start of the each generation. Still, it's a good batch of starter Pokemon and I'm so glad that they were finally revealed.

The new starters are all absolutely adorable! I voted Rowlet, but I do adore Popplio, too! I already came up with nicknames for them! Rowlet: Alceu (male), Celosia or Altessa (Female), Popplio: Lionel (male), Niloufar (female).

Last edited:
I'm torn between Rowlet and Litten right now. I wish Litten had been given a different name; I have a pet cat named "Smitten", and I know that's what I'll be thinking whenever I read the text.

Rowlet is adorable with its leaf bowtie, Litten might evolve into an antithesis of the Ahuizotl, and Poppolio...I hope its evolution is based on an animal we have not seen yet--extinct even.

Last edited:
I'm not going to make a definite choice until I see what the final forms are capable of, such is my modus operandi with new starters.
If I had to choose at this moment though then I'd go for Popplio. That'd be my third Water starter, putting it on par with Grass.

I know people wanna compare Popplio to Oshawott, but if anything it's basically the new Spheal/Sealeo but taking its circus performer motif further---I kind of hope it ends up Water/Ice too though.

Popplio is starting to grow on me. Bless the Sugimori art, it looks adorable in it! I think the collar thingy it has is what bothers me. I think it should have been pink. I don't know... but that light blue feels out of place. It seems like it has a fun personality though!

Rowlet's still my favourite one~ Not a fan of Litten's whisker-things, but I love the colours.

Popplio is starting to grow on me. Bless the Sugimori art, it looks adorable in it! I think the collar thingy it has is what bothers me. I think it should have been pink. I don't know... but that light blue feels out of place. It seems like it has a fun personality though!

Maybe the Female Popplio will have a pink collar?

In each batch of starters there's aways one I don't like at all, but that is not the case now. I like them all three, they are just so cute! It might still change when their evolutions are revealed of course. At this moment my preference is leaning towards Litten. Fire is one of my favourite types and I love cats, so it's perfect! I like how it looks somewhat more serious than the other two but is still pretty darn cute.

I know people wanna compare Popplio to Oshawott, but if anything it's basically the new Spheal/Sealeo but taking its circus performer motif further---I kind of hope it ends up Water/Ice too though.

There really isn't any similarity between Popplio and Oshawott. It was the personality and coloration that made me quickly think of Oshawott.

After today and the last couple of hours, I've come back to my old theory of getting a possible Narwhal Pokémon this gen.

I imagine the starter final forms to be: Grass/Flying, Fire/Dark (or Fire/Fighting for starter reasons), & Water/Steel (Popplio could evolve into the Narwhal I mentioned a few months back :D all it needs to do is have a cool 1st stage, and then it can majestically evolve into the almighty Narwhal with that steel sword on it's head. Don't turn poor Popplio into a Samurott situation though, please........

My Starter opinions:

-Rowlet is the most screamingly cute starter I've ever seen in forever! Totally impressed how they pulled the design off, especially the part of being the first Grass/Flying "Bird" in the game. (The other Grass/Flying Pokemon aren't birds) That Leaf Bowtie...:X3: Unless they destroy the evolution designs, this will be the one I'll pick.

-Litten has this curious vibe of being cunning, cool, and perturbed at the same time. The feeling reminds me of the Female Meowstic... The whiskers look a little large for my taste. But the potential Evolutions look totally epic in my head!

-Popplio, at first, is yet other Sea Lion pokemon... However, compared to the other Sea Lion designs we have, this one feels more flexible, moving, and more alive. I know many people had issues with the Oshawatt line, but this one could have the flare that the others did not.

Let me try to explain... Think about the Amphibious pokemon in the game. Seismitoad, Poliwrath, and Politoad made the image of a frog/toad as a bulky and slow creature that is heavily reliant on the water to survive. But then they made the Greninja line - completely adaptable, super fast, cool ninja frogs. Totally unique concept to me!

Popplio looks like an attempt to make the sea-mammal like creature into a light, flexible acrobat with all sorts of tricks - kind of like how the Greninja line was for frogs. Whether or not the evolutions could keep up with this theme could make or break the power of this design. Please don't ruin the evolutions...

Bold Prediction:

Popplio was left intentionally bland with regards to its colour scheme, because as it evolves it will assume a colourful clown-esque flavour. Which would be absolutely awesome. A fighting clown seal? Yes please.

Looooooove Litten, which isn't surprising as I like most of the cat Pokémon out there. Bring on Fire/Dark, hopefully a physical attacker and doesn't go anthromorphic in any evo stage.

Rowlet and Popplio are okay to me. I could maybe see myself using Popplio on a second playthrough. I think it will stay pure water throughout OR gamefreak could do a Mr Mime and make it part Fairy because clowns/creeps are fairies apparantly.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom