• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
Looks like I'm going with Water once again, although the other two aren't bad.

I absolutely LOVE this regions starter Pokemon! They're all so cute and there's just nothing I see that doesn't appeal to me or will take some time to warm up to! Rowlet is just the cutest little owl with the cutest leaf bowtie! Litten is a kitty so it automatically gets my love. Popplio is actually my favorite, just cause it looks so happy and adorable! I shall join #TeamPopplio!

Aw, this is tough. I like all three base forms. Rowlet is cute. Also unqiue in that it starts as Gass/Flying. A starter hasn't done that since Bulbasaur. I want to see their other evolutions before I finalise my first choice, though.

It's interesting to see that the "grass owl" and "fire cat" speculation turned out to be true.

I'm not really excited about any of them. I thought they were fake when I first saw them, which isn't good.

That 4x weakness on Rowlet is a bit off putting so might go with Litten.
Yeah, all a Sneasel has to do is snicker and Rowlet's down for the count. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me.
Popplio reminds me of Oshawott for some reason.
Oh wow, I thought I was the only one who thought that way. But yeah, it does remind me a bit of Oshawott.

It's weird; I'm trying to like Rowlet but it doesn't appeal to me, the same way Fennekin didn't appeal when we first saw the Kalos starters. But Litten, like Froakie, was love at first sight. So I'm taking the fire kitteh. (Hey, gotta have something to KO any Grass types that come near my Golurk.)

Vulcan fire kitty for the win!

Wow, all of them are so cute. This is a bit of a hard sell. However, I've already chosen Litten as my choice. Two reasons: 1) Fire is almost always the Starter type I pick (Bulbasaur and Turtwig being the general exceptions), and 2) it's the coolest of the batch. However, all three have plenty of charms to me, so it was a hard choice. I wonder what their final forms will be.

And I thought Kalos had a good batch of starters!

Rowlet is insanely adorable and definitely my pick. Owls are my favorite animals and I'm glad Noctowl isn't the only one anymore. Litten is purrty cute too; the Fire cat thing was executed well, and though it's use of hair balls to attack is disconcerting, I can't fault the creativity. Popplio will probably gain more popularity when the evolutions are revealed, but I like it as is.

I can't wait to start seeing fan art of the evolved forms. All of them seem really exciting with a lot of potential. I have no idea which one I will go for!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm definitely on Team Litten! I love cats, so it was an easy choice for me. Rowlet and Popplio are cute too, I just like Litten more.

I could see Rowlet, since it's based on the Tyto genus sometimes known as "masked owls", to become a Phantom of the Opera-type figure since it also has sort of a dapper motif. Imagine it growing a second mask on the back of its head, and since it can rotate its head around never being able to tell what way it's facing. Neat.

Litten is actually connected to Hawaii in an interesting way, they have a major problem with feral cats. I've seen people point out the sulfur symbol on its head, but the first thing I noticed is it resembles a punk tween girl---actually reminds me of an Inkling. You can see it "wearing" a knit beanie, its whiskers look like pig tails, and then its legs resemble striped gloves/socks. I like this aesthetic, and I think it'd go well giving it a Fire/Poison type. It already can utilize oil. I also like the idea of its eventually using static electricity and becoming Fire/Electric. Not too excited if it becomes Fire/Dark like it looks, we only have one line with that of course but I feel its a pretty unimaginative and obvious combination.

Popplio doesn't seem to be based on the native Hawaiian Monk Seal---Bulbapedia thinks the "lio" comes from the very long Hawaiian name for it, but it's probably just a twist on "leo". The Monk Seal looks far different, mainly it isn't an eared seal like a sea lion, though I guess the Spheal line jumped between seals and a walrus enough it isn't that big an issue. That would've been cool though had they gone that route and turned it into literally a Water/Fighting monk, but that doesn't seem the route they took. As it stands I guess it'll become more clown like---not sure what Type I'd place that with, Water/Psychic and let it control bubbles through psychic manipulation? Fairy? I kind of hope it becomes very round and goofy looking, we don't have too many final form Starters like that.

I poorly edited this since I've read a lot of people confusing Popplio for a seal. :D
FSkYVwJ.png
Rowlet is adorable and I really wasn't expecting a starter based off a Barn Owl. I'm really hoping to see it evolve into something epic! Popplio is starting to grow on me as well!

Seceral things:
~Shame on me for just commenting on this now T_T
~I'm not ready to say goodbye to Fennekin, Froakie & Chespin, but I absolutely love the designs for Rowlet, Litten and Popplio. All across the board, they're awesome! And from their descriptions, they all seem to be very interesting for battle. I can't wait to see them animated, especially Rowlet and Popplio.
~I was actually thinking that the next regional bird could be hummingbird-like, with dual Grass and Flying typing. Then I saw Rowlet LOL.
~Calling it now if it hasn't already been said, Rowlet is going to be used by the female companion in the upcoming Sun & Moon anime saga.
~Now there's a starter bird for each type!

I would't be surprised if Litten's final evolution is bipedal. Fire/Dark possibly. And what if Popplio's evolutions become Water/Fairy?

Thoughts on all the starters:

Rowlet: It's super cute. I am glad it's going to be a part Flying-type, it seems interesting for a starter. However, I'm disappointed they didn't name it BOWLET (bow + owlet), since it has a leaf bowtie. I think they missed a huge opportunity there.

Litten: Cute as well. I hope the final form is a Tiger-like Pokemon. We don't need anymore lions. The name is a little disappointing. Like, Litten is the best they could do? Really?

Popplio: Cute name, ugly as hell Pokemon. There's so many other marine creatures they could have used since we already have seal Pokemon. I would have loved a dolphin -> killer whale -> narwhal evolution line.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom