• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
What is this I'm reading? Steel Wing and Thunderpunch on Charizard X? OMG.

Cmon guys, no one in their right mind is going to neuter themselves and base a Pokemons moveset entirely around just beating one Pokemon. Someone running Charizard X will switch out like they're supposed to when facing Primarina, and bring in a Pokemon that has the proper tools to beat her without gimping itself.

You have a team of 6 Pokemon at your disposal, they're not meant to be able to take on everything on their own, they're meant to help each other cover the others weaknesses.
^ This. Thanks for beating me to the punch.

Yeah, even though I don't battle other people IRL. Even in in-game battles I never keep a pokemon in when it's against a pokemon with a type advantage. That's just asking for a quick KO against you.

I guess that's why a pokemon's weaknesses are never too big a deal for me. I know what they're weak to and just keep it in mind.

Which brings us back to the point, why the hell would Primarina want to try to beat Venusaur in the first place? Just switch her out.

I'm sure as hell not going to leave Decidueye in against, say, Houndoom, even if Decidueye learned Aura Sphere or something.

So far, I don't think we can reliably 'Tier' the starters right now, as we do not know much about their Base Stats, Moves, Hidden Abilities, etc. But speculating upon them... How do you all see their base stats being distributed?

I'll assume they all end up adding up to 530 total, like the Kalos ones. Just only on what is known by their descriptions, I could see this range happening:

Decidueye:
HP: 75
Attack: 110
Defence: 65
Sp. Atk: 85
Sp Def: 75
Speed: 120

The main question mark on this spread I made is whether or not its 'Arrow' Feather moves are physical or special. I think they're physical, but given how Water Shuriken switched sides, I'm still unsure. I do think Decidueye will be quite speedy, though.

Incinaroar:
HP: 95
Attack: 115
Defence: 90
Sp. Atk: 80
Sp. Def: 70
Speed: 80

In many ways, I don't really correlate Wrestlers with Speed, but I won't call it overly slow - Just fast enough for a Choice Scarf set. I also think it will have pretty good HP/Defense bulk with its nice Attack, so to help set it apart from Houndoom quite a bit.

Primarina
HP: 105
Attack: 65
Defence: 85
Sp. Atk: 100
Sp. Def: 110
Speed: 65

I don't see Primarina as physically defensive as some try to think, but I do see the high HP present. I'm close to thinking of evening the Sp. Atk and Sp. Def equally here, as the 'explosive bubbles' and singing to attack, may give it some good power.

Well, that's just my speculation, anyways.

I'm not going to try to speculate on their actual stat spread, but I am going to try to predict which stats will be each Pokémon's strong and weak points.

Decidueye:

Barring Serperior, no Grass Starter's design has reminded me of Sceptile more than Decidueye. I imagine that, like Sceptile, Deci will be a mixed attacker. Its main stats are going to be attack, special attack, and speed. I feel the emphasis may just be in its attack stat, as that helps set it apart from Sceptile from a stat spread perspective. Also, isn't spirit shackle a physical move? Sp. attack and speed will be its secondary and tertiary though I don't know in what order. I'd prefer speed as a secondary, but predict it'll be Sp. Atk. Then again, I thought Serpy would be offensive too and, Contrary notwithstanding, I was proven wrong.

Incineroar to me looks like a bulky attacker. I predict attack and defense will be its main stats, with attack being the primary stat. I also see it having decent HP and speed, but with horrible special stats. This would kind of make it the mirror version of houndoom, which makes sense.

Primarina looks like the wall of the group. I also imagine she'll have the most 'balanced' stats. Her attack will be pretty awful, but she'll have decent special attack. Her speed will be subpar but not Torterra level. I predict her HP will be her second best stat, but I can't tell you which of the defenses will take first and third place respectively. It'd be nice if she was more specially oriented, just to give her a niche among water starters, who tend to be more physically defensive (Blastoise and Swampert are the biggest examples of this.)

"Spirit Shackle is a Ghost-type physical move that only Decidueye can learn. An opponent hit with this move will become unable to flee from battle or switch out for an ally."

From the official site

Why would we be worried? The more HP the better. A pokemon with low HP stat doesn't last long in battle.
Worry because Pokemon with high HP don't usually have high speed and pretty much all the other Ghost type Pokemon would high or above-average HP don't have good speed, grass/ghost is better but not much better than grass/flying on a defensive standpoint

Well, just because it's a trend doesn't mean it's a rule. There's nothing saying that a Pokemon with high HP can't have high speed. Besides, nothing about Decidueye is giving me a "high HP" vibe anyway. Honestly, Primarina is the one giving me the vibe of having the highest HP of the three.

I think.. Decidueye will have high speed, and attack/special attack.
Incineroar will be a mixed attacked with decent speed.
And Prinarina should be specially defensive.

It's not rocket science.

Ice shard? lets her hit a little atleast if she gets it.
My problem is that we have many very slow water types. Would want more speed in cost for def.
If She is faster then Sammuotr then (70 Speed), she needs to be faster then Empoleon(60)...
What if she is like Serperior not the ofensive type but rather defense oriented.

taking Samuottr into acount how fast would you say she will be?
What do you think could she be a potential candidate for a 122 stats like previous generation Grenina(122speed), Chenaught(122def) .

-Could Primarina get 122special def??? and maybe 75 or 65 def?
or similar or bigger high hp(110) like Emboar?

Ice shard? lets her hit a little atleast if she gets it.
My problem is that we have many very slow water types. Would want more speed in cost for def.
If She is faster then Sammuotr then (70 Speed), she needs to be faster then Empoleon(60)...
What if she is like Serperior not the ofensive type but rather defense oriented.

taking Samuottr into acount how fast would you say she will be?
What do you think could she be a potential candidate for a 122 stats like previous generation Grenina(122speed), Chenaught(122def) .

-Could Primarina get 122special def??? and maybe 75 or 65 def?
or similar or bigger high hp(110) like Emboar?

Take a good look at Primarina. Seriously, take a good look at her.

primarina.png

Does this look like the type of Pokemon that's going to have a strong Ice Shard? That's a joke. Even an Ice Beam is unlikely to OHKO Venusaur. Really, why do you keep insisting that she has to beat Venu? She really, really doesn't.

Speaking of Primarina's looks, a mere cursory glance will tell you right away that she's not supposed to be a speed demon. And don't compare her to Serperior because Serpy clearly looked like the nimble one of her group. Primarina in no way looks like it'll be a fast Pokemon. If anything, that'll be more Decidueye's turf. I get that you want a fast Water Starter to buck the trend of bulky attackers we've gotten since Blastoise, but Primarina is obviously not it. I don't get why you keep trying to warp her into another Greninja when she's clearly not.

I couldn't tell you what Primarina's speed is going to look like, but it probably won't be higher than 80. I'll imagine she'll be somewhere in the 70's, which would make her faster than Swampert and Empoleon, at least. You can take solace in that.

And who says any Pokemon will have a stat of 122 this time around? They used it for the Kalos starters, but that hardly points to a pattern, let alone a trend. One point does not a pattern make.

I'd say Ominous Wind is a very likely move for Decidueye to learn, if not a useful one. Seriously, Ominous Wind sucks. I hope it gets access to Shadow Ball or Shadow Claw. Based on its flavor text, it'll almost certainly get Shadow Sneak. Those are moves worth having.

PS: Yes, I know a Pokemon's looks can be deceiving, but A) they seldom are, and B) we are speculating based on what we've gotten so far, and all we've gotten so far is the Starters' designs, so that's all we have to go on.

Last edited:
Decidueye's probably going to be a speedy mixed attacker favoring physical attack, but he'll have weak defensive stats. Litten seemed to have high speed, so I'm assuming Incineroar's going to have decent speed and physical bulk and great physical attack, but low special stats. Primarina's obviously going to have great special defense with good special attack and HP.

Really, why do you keep insisting that she has to beat Venu?

not beat it, but weaken, it could land a good hit,
I could see even a good psychic move used by Primarina.
Most of our water types were downclased by grass but grass got more speed against Blaziken, Emboar

Decidueye
HP 68
ATK 76
DEF 87
S. ATK 103
S. DEF 87
SPEED 109 (Sceptile, Serperior need a break and need to hit)
Total 530

(Chesanught was physical, Trevenant and Gourgeist are already very physical in stats, we need a special oriented grass/ghost and it will know many good moves of flying, bug, ghost, dark, steel(wing) and more. +Hurricane, Lock-on and many more+ability)

Incineroar
HP 71
ATK 125 (that or 118 attack and higher speed)
DEF 75
S. ATK 87
S. DEF 68
SPEED 103 (that or lower speed but much more def and sp.def as a Heel Wrestler, but thats not likely)
Total 534

Primarina
HP 80
ATK 75
DEF 75
S. ATK 91 (or 111 if attack and def are both 65)
S. DEF 122 (against special oriented poison, electric and grass types)
SPEED 82 (she has a poison weakness and most dragons are faster then that, averege 82.14 and fully evolved 93.43 speed)
Total 530

dont forget they will get secondary abilities and movesets and not only stats.

Last edited:
I am using all three in my Sun team as celebration of 20 years of pokemon. I am glad that they all have two types in final stage so it gives them some coverage with other types and get stab for one more type.

I think.. Decidueye will have high speed, and attack/special attack.
Incineroar will be a mixed attacked with decent speed.
And Prinarina should be specially defensive.
okay I think it may give us an idea a couple people are saying rowlet has the most HP out of all the starters at level 5 it have 23 HP that's the same amount as Tepig but level 6 it only had 24 HP and at level 16 it had 47HP tepig is is higher at the same level,Dartrix Japanese trailer level 28 it only had 88 HP Pignite is still higher and it's the same amount of Grotle at that level, Incineroar again in Japanese trailer level 50 it had 158 HP which leave it's HP range at 83-98

I don't really care about stats, especially on my inital run through the game, but i'm going to take a random guess at what the starters' evos' stats might be like (I'll keep the stats at numbers ending in 0 or 5 to keeps things easier)

Decidueye
HP- 65
Att- 80
Def- 70
Sp. Att- 100
Sp. Def- 95
Spe- 120

Incineroar
HP- 75
Att- 120
Def- 90
Sp. Att- 80
Sp. Def- 65
Spe- 100

Primarina
HP- 80
Att- 60
Def- 90
Sp. Att- 120
Sp. Def- 110
Spe- 70

I honestly think that out of the two, Decidueye is more likely to be a pure physical attacker and that Incineroar is going to be the mixed attacker. This is because Decidueye is very explicitly stated to be fast in its bio, and Spirit Shackle is a physical move. Mixed attackers tend to be a bit on the slow side, baring certain rare exceptions like Zoroark and Greninja, so I expect Decidueye to focus on only 1 of the 2 attacking stats. This would also work out well for Decidueye competitively, because a fast physical Ghost type would be able to compete in OU without being muscled out of its niche by Gengar, and it would be able to drag Lati@s through the mud if it's got 111 or more Speed and a good Physical Ghost move. Thus, I'm hoping for something along the lines of

Decidueye:
HP - x
Atk - 110
Def - x
SpA - x
SpDef - x
Spe - 120

Incineroar:
HP - x
Atk - 120
Def - x
SpA - between 80 and 110
SpDef - x
Spe - between 70 and 100

Primarina:
hardly matters, water/fairy = free UU at the least lmao

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom