• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
Bug doesn't resist Poison either.

Someone's drawn some mock-ups based on the trademarks. This time they aren't trying to fool people into thinking they are real, but instead just doing some fanart on the potential designs before they are revealed

fake_sun_moon_starter_by_nyjee-da0mkqt.jpg
Source: fake sun moon starter

Honestly the more I see seal/sea lion designs the more I'm coming around to the idea of "Ashimari" being one. Both the owl and seal in this look pretty good for first stages. The cat I don't like though, and I imagine cat might be my least favourite [if the trademarks are right that is] just because I don't care much for Fire starters idk why.

Again just working under the assumption of the trademarks being both right in relation to Pokemon and the translation. Not like there's much else to discuss right now. :p

A bit too similar to the last set of leaks we had, especially the bird and seal, but they look really nice.

tumblr_o67sp6Bqru1re82e4o1_1280.png

This has been floating around on tumblr, but a quick reverse image search proved that they were as fake as I suspected, this is the original image.
pokemon_sun_and_moon_starters__fake__by_lucas_costa-da0g02z.png

At first I thought it was just someone taking an artist's rendition and passing it off as a fake, which is usually the case, but apparently the artist arranged for the image to be modified and posted as a fake leak. I mean I know it was for publicity, but even as an artist myself it feels like a pretty dick move. Eh, whatever, I'm not gonna waste my time worrying.

This has been floating around on tumblr, but a quick reverse image search proved that they were as fake as I suspected, this is the original image.

At first I thought it was just someone taking an artist's rendition and passing it off as a fake, which is usually the case, but apparently the artist arranged for the image to be modified and posted as a fake leak. I mean I know it was for publicity, but even as an artist myself it feels like a pretty dick move. Eh, whatever, I'm not gonna waste my time worrying.

Quite a few artists seem to be doing it this gen like it's the latest trend for attention. I personally don't like it either but lots of people do so whatever. I have more respect for those who say "here's my ideas for what they will be" and just post their art, rather than the ones who are all "this is a leak! here are the starters"... days later..."haha fooled you all they are fake I made them haha!"

Also that image you've posted is another trio where I like the seal most... this is really starting to haunt me after I said I hope the seal translation is wrong. Pretty much every fanart done on the possible trademarks I've preferred the seal most.

I wonder if we do get an owl, cat and seal what the "theme" might be. After VI (RPG trio of knight, mage and rogue) there's probably going to be something. I wonder if it would be say like school personalities or something like that. Owl could be a nerd/geek/bookworm, the cat could be the fiesty fashionista and the seal could be the sporty jock type? Too cliche maybe though?

I saw these on Tumblr earlier today, my heart jumped as they looked so legitimate and so well done that I thought they were the real thing and I was like "Finally! The starters are revealed!"... then it turned out they were fake and I got depressed and felt betrayed. It's a shame because they looked so legitimate compared to previous leaks that I actually believed them.

I really hope we get the real starters very soon, like... "in the next 5 days or so" soon (even though it won't likely be in the next 5 days), because I'm starting to go insane from the severe lack of S/M news that I just want something to happen considering how let down I was by this month's Corocoro not giving us anything.

Yeesh, I don't like that snaggle-toothed seal with purple eyes. Also, I think the cat starter will be a quadraped, at least in the first stage. I actually sketched out a hypothetical seal starter and it made me look at it and think, "Oh, it's a water-puppy."

All of these fanarts of the grass starter are going to depress me. I've been waiting for the cactus owl since gen 5 and I will not allow myself to be disappointed in its absence again.

I'm pretty sure Game Freak has learned by now that we had enough Fire/Fighting types.

I want the Fire starter final form to be quarapedal for once. It was be a good way to break up the pattern of them being bipedal.
Yeah, we did have a minor disappoint with Fennekin going bipedal by its first evolution (in order to adopt the mage theme). Currently Typhlosion is the only fully-evolved starter that isn't strictly bipedal, but at the same time, it's about as quadrupedal as Pikachu is.

I want the Fire starter final form to be quadrupedal for once. It was be a good way to break up the pattern of them being bipedal.
Yeah, we did have a minor disappoint with Fennekin going bipedal by its first evolution (in order to adopt the mage theme). Currently Typhlosion is the only fully-evolved starter that isn't strictly bipedal, but at the same time, it's about as quadrupedal as Pikachu is.

Definitely agreed, I was never a huge fan of Braixen for this very reason, and it kinda turned me off from choosing Fennekin as my starter simply because it went bipedial rather than staying quad (that, and the furry fandom kinda ruined Braixen for me). At least it didn't grow another tail and didn't go the "kitsune" route because we already have Ninetales and we don't need a second Ninetales. Never mind the fact that I was already planning to choose Chespin to begin with.

Personally, I want the Fire starter to be something not only quadruped, but non-mammalian for once, because every Fire starter with the exception of Charmander and Torchic has been a mammal, and I kinda want a reptilian Fire starter for once, like a snake or a gila-lizard. I mean, we all probably got sick of every Grass starter being a reptile up until Chespin in Gen 6 (and I have my fingers crossed that we get another non-reptilian Grass starter), so why can't we have something different with the Fire starter too?

And while on that topic, no, I don't believe in that whole "Fire starters are to be based on Chinese Zodiac animals" thing everyone claims, because nobody at Game Freak ever made that statement and said it was some sort of official guideline for making the starters. I actually have no idea where that rumor started, so I'm not willing to believe it, I just think it's entirely coincidental that most of them are zodiac animals, especially since two of them (Cyndaquil and Fennekin) don't even match up. Despite what it's Pokedex entry says, Cyndaquil is actually an echidna and it's evolutions are arguably wolverines, so it doesn't match up to it being a "Mouse Pokemon", as that was most likely a translation thing since the translators probably didn't think most kids would know what an echidna was, especially when most people associate the term with the character of Knuckles from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. Fennekin is a fox, and while that is a canid, it's not exactly a dog.

Personally, I'd love to see a tiger for the fire starter. We haven't had a tiger Pokemon yet to my knowledge (yet, we have several lions...), and it's already orange. Maybe its stripes could be lightning bolt-shaped and it could evolve into a Fire/Electric type? Fire and Electric are two of my favorite types and I love cats so I'd choose that starter in a heartbeat.

Not coincidentally, one of my favorite fakemon starters is also a cat that evolves into a Fire/Electric type.

I'm here for a grass-type owl too, that could be really cool. I know grass/flying makes logical sense, but grass/psychic would be a really neat combination. Owls and psychic types just go together so well in my mind, I can't believe we haven't had a psychic-type owl Pokemon yet. Actually, I don't think we've had any owl Pokemon other than the Hoothoot line.

As for the water starter... I know that everyone's hoping for a dolphin or a seal, but I'd actually really like to see one that's based on an invertebrate. Maybe a blue dragon sea slug? Those are so cool-looking and I'd die of happiness if we could get a Pokemon based on it. It could easily become Water/Ice or Water/Poison when it evolves.

Maybe a blue dragon sea slug? Those are so cool-looking and I'd die of happiness if we could get a Pokemon based on it.

That Sea slug is Legendary material. It looks amazing but would be really hard to transfer into starter material.

I really start to dig these Seal idea, cause those are some freaking cute Fakemons. Should be interesting to see what they have actually prepared for us.

Someone's drawn some mock-ups based on the trademarks. This time they aren't trying to fool people into thinking they are real, but instead just doing some fanart on the potential designs before they are revealed

fake_sun_moon_starter_by_nyjee-da0mkqt.jpg
Source: fake sun moon starter
Oh, that kitty! It's so freaking cute! Heck, they're all cute and I'd happy with any of them but dat kitteh doe! That would make me choose Fire for the first time since Sinnoh!

Though a thought hit me a few days ago: if we do get a fire cat starter, why not have it based on the caracal? Instead of tufts of fur on the ears we could have flames. If done right it would look pretty boss.

I just really want a fire kitty. That would complete my life at this point. :p

I don't really see how a grass owl would like good or why people want one so badly. We have noctowl or if you wanted another one any typing besides grass flying if works for tropius but I can't see It working for any other design

I had a dream that the starters were announced, the grass type was literally just a recolored Torchic, the fire type was Fennekin with tiger stripes, and ths water starter.... was a dolphin. Huh. I always thought fire starters were my favorite, but maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something.. -X files theme-

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom