• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
I'm curious. Why do you think a pokemon like Chesnaught and Samurott needed extremespeed?
Samurrai or Knights were fast sometimes , especially for the first strike in battle.
+ its a normal move and would fit them.
Maybe Quick Attack would be better for Chesnaught becuse of its emense attack stats?
Sammurot really could use a first striking move other then Aqua Jet to hit hard first those with type advantage.

Hows it that Meganium got Ancient Power and Torterra did not?

Last edited:
My biggest fear regarding Sun and Moon is the possibility not to have new starters at all and use some of the previous, taking in consideration that it is a "20th anniversary game". I have seen this speculation many times on YouTube. It would be dissappointing for me and I hope it will not happen.

Fire/Fairy is a neat combination for starters. I would like to see a fire/fairy Tiger or Goat line.

I think we need a Fire/Fighting starter based off of a character from Journey to the West. It's seems like a really unique idea. : ) /s

I want some unique type combinations for the final forms. Lines that stay pure typed are boring. Also it was only cool for the Johto starters. Sinnoh and Kalos did really well in that regard. And Emboar is my favorite Unova starter partly because it's the only one that gained another type upon evolution.

Infernape and Emboar are already based on Journey to the West characters, Infernape being the Monkey King Sun Wukong and Emboar being the Pig Demon Zhu Baije. A third Fire/Fighting starter based on a JTTW character could be the Bull Demon King or Princess Iron Fan. There's also a character in the story who's a fox woman, which Delphox could be based on.

On that topic, I still don't believe in the "all Fire starters are Chinese Zodiac animals" thing though, as I have no idea where that rumor started since nobody at Game Freak ever said that.

My biggest fear regarding Sun and Moon is the possibility not to have new starters at all and use some of the previous, taking in consideration that it is a "20th anniversary game". I have seen this speculation many times on YouTube. It would be dissappointing for me and I hope it will not happen.

For some reason I keep getting the feeling it will be just that, no new starters and just old ones, which there's a very HIGH chance it will be the Gen 1 starters. Look, I love Charizard as much as many others, but I want new starters, because if I want to play a game where my choices are Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, I'd play the Gen 1 games or remakes of them, and if they want to make remakes of Gen 1 again, they should just make remakes of them again and not even bother with a new generation. If I wanted older starters, I'd rather have the Unova or Kalos starters again because I think the Kanto starters are extremely overused and overrated in the franchise, and I wouldn't want them to be the only old starter choices in all generations to come.

@Robo-Floatzel Another possibility is to give us the Kalos starters again, but with mega evolutions available for them. I hope this is not the case though.

What would fit as a Fire/Poison starter (amazing combination)? A snake maybe? But we already have grass snake starter. Any thoughts?

Regarding the grass starter, I think the most interest combination would be Grass/Flying. It is a rare combination (we have only Hoppip line and Tropius). I really wish the grass owl speculation will become reality!

As for the Water started I would definately like the long-awaited Water/Psychic "amphibious-like" dolphin!

Anytime Fire/Poison starter is brought up I'll never not bring up my wish for it to be a gila monster :p

Gila monsters are venomous and the yellow stripes could easily be made to look like flowing lava/magma (someone correct me on which is the correct term for this).

gila_02.jpg

I think traits from thorny devils (like maybe some spikes on it) and even komodo dragons could work with it too. Komodo dragons even have venomous saliva so the Poison typing works there. A hybrid of all three could be pretty cool I suppose.

I liked the chinese zodiac fire starter motive till now, hope that they make a full round of 12.

My biggest fear regarding Sun and Moon is the possibility not to have new starters at all and use some of the previous, taking in consideration that it is a "20th anniversary game". I have seen this speculation many times on YouTube.

Yeah, about that...PokeTubers (and this fandom in general) have a habit of over analysing everything. While the theories are often great, and fascinating, it's best to take all speculation with a pinch of salt, despite how logical it may seem.

Yeah, about that...PokeTubers (and this fandom in general) have a habit of over analysing everything. While the theories are often great, and fascinating, it's best to take all speculation with a pinch of salt, despite how logical it may seem.
Hmmm , why then do my ideas about abilities that give immunities based on the special/physical split(immune to direct damage dealing moves of one category) or on the speed stats(first- immune to fast pokemon direct damage dealing moves ; last- immune to slower pokemon direct damage dealing moves) never pop up anywhere else?

my dream is a pseudolegendary dragon/ghost pokemon,
the walking skeleton (winged, bipedal)
ability: Soul Armor: immune to all special oriented direct damage dealing moves.

- generaly wait for real info and remember speculations need no overrated emotions.

Last edited:
Added a poll!

Rowlet is the best, no one can convince me otherwise. It's a Grass/Flying barn owl with a bow tie. Literally perfection and everything I wanted.

Well Rowlet is confirmed to be Grass/Flying, but what are Litten and Popplio? I think Litten looks like it'll be Fire/Dark, Popplio I can't tell but maybe Water/Ice.

Anyway, I'll probably be choosing Litten.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom