• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
I like the circus speculation going around. Owl - knife thrower, cat - fire breather and sea lion - clown/acrobat. Seems pretty cool if it ends up being true.
I would kill for some Performapokes. But yeah, I'd love for the starters to have a unifying theme to them again. The designs for Gen VI were iffy, but I liked the ideas behind them.

I know one thing: if the design of Litten's Stage 2 evolution is based on a Smilodon, it could pull a complete 180 on how I feel about the line. Sabertooths are awesome! :LOL:

Also, count me in for Litten's final form to be Fire/Poison-type. Actually, any secondary type other than Fighting would be welcome, as long as it's thematically-appropriate. :cool:

Litten reminds me of witches because witches often have striped stockings, and Litten's legs have stripes.

Sugar Sugar Rune, anyone?
%EC%8A%88%EA%B0%80%EC%8A%88%EA%B0%80%EB%A3%AC__SugarSugarRune.jpg

Samurott doesn't get Protean does it?
I meant how nobody liked Froakie either until Greninja came around.

Either a sob story or power--that's what will save Popplio. I'm going to say power mostly because another "Same Colours" type thing would only further perpetuate parallels with Oshawott...which I don't get why its bad when Chespin was basically grass Oshawott in design and people loved it.

I meant how nobody liked Froakie either until Greninja came around.

Either a sob story or power--that's what will save Popplio. I'm going to say power mostly because another "Same Colours" type thing would only further perpetuate parallels with Oshawott...which I don't get why its bad when Chespin was basically grass Oshawott in design and people loved it.

I feel bad for my little water starter friends... Nobody ever likes them. Froakie was my favorite, Oshawott was my favorite, despite their unpopularities, so hopefully karma gets the water haters and Popplio is the best starter and I can laugh at everyone when they realize they've picked the wrong starter. :)

It's been 6 years and I still hate Oshawott. I might love Dewott and Samurott, but I'll still dislike the base form and it makes me enjoy the line a lot less. As great as Samurott is, I can feel something at the back of my mind reminding e that it came from the ugly ice cream clown otter.

So with Pooplio, if it has a good evo, I'll probably be forcing the stupid clown seal to evolve ASAP so I can stop seeing its ugly clown face.

I saw that RogersBase hypothesized that Rowlet could retype to grass/dark for its final evolution. Personally, I think that's a bit silly considering it'll still be an avian, but what does everyone think of that?

Personally, I'd say no way. I've also heard the theory, and I think it's impossible. It's Grass/Flying and it's gonna stay that way. And that's fine :)

If it had been pure Grass, then sure. Typing would be up in the air. But no way they'll take away its flying type.

On a similar note, what does everyone think about the possible final typings of Litten and Popplio? Personally, I'm predicting:

Litten = either Fire/Dark or Fire/Poison
and
Popplio = either Water/Psychic, Water/Fairy, or Water/Fighting

Last edited:
I saw that RogersBase hypothesized that Rowlet could retype to grass/dark for its final evolution. Personally, I think that's a bit silly considering it'll still be an avian, but what does everyone think of that?

I doubt this would happen, and the ONLY way it would is if it got Hydreigon/Flygon treatment and was given Levitate as a hidden ability, but it would have to be rather easy to obtain or else that makes it pointless.

I think Rowlet will stay Grass/Flying.

Litten is probably Fire/Dark.

Popplio could be Water/Fairy.

In my honest opinion. They all look like shit at the moment. Not trying to hate or anything, but all the designs are horribly underwhelming. Then again, I didn't like Oshawott or Froakie to start with either, and loved Fennekin, but then I saw their evolutions, hopefully at least one of these things'll end up looking good.

In a much minor pet peeve I've got going here. Litten's just putting fuel on the proverbial fire of the bullshit "Fire starters are Chinese Zodiac" relation. NO, THEY'RE NOT. Fennekin is not a dog, nor is Cyndaquil a mouse! The connection. Is. BULLSHIT!

I think the basic idea behind all of them are fine. We would have all been happy with grass bird, fire cat, water seal. They messed up Litten's design and YMMV on Popplio, but I think they all have tons of potential.

I like Kyriaki's idea of Litten being like a counterpart to the Fennekin line, with Delphox being based on a wizard and Litten's final form being based on a witch. In any case, I could see a possible Fire/Ghost or Fire/Poison typing for Stage 2 Litten.

Rowlet could actually evolve into some kind of large flightless bird of the tropics such as a cassowary, in which case it would lose its Flying typing, or even replace it with something else. If it is based on a cassowary, though, then we could end up with the second Grass/Fighting-type in a row, and after three consecutive Fire/Fighting-type starters...yeah, it could be the start of a new pattern, one which a number of fans wouldn't want. Then again, a barn owl that becomes a peafowl might also work.

Popplio is the only one of the three that I could imagine remaining a mono-type through every evolutionary stage. Actually, that could simply be a case of me not being able to envision a secondary typing for its final form. But does it really need it? I mean, every odd-numbered generation to date has had its Grass and/or Water starters stay mono-type through all its evolutions (well, Mega Sceptile has kind of messed up the pattern, but it still sort of counts), so why couldn't Stage 2 Popplio follow that tradition?

I could honestly see Popplio going Water/Ice (Considering the general habitat for sea lions) or maybe even Water/Fairy depending on how much they play up that playfulness of his.
I don't know about an Ice typing, since many types of sea lion are often found in warmer waters (seals are the ones which usually live in cooler oceans). Stage 2 Popplio as a Water/Fairy-type, though...now that could really be fun! :LOL:

Now I've seen fanart I think the designs have settled in a bit more for me now.

They still seem a bit fanpokemony for me but they're still good. Just not really my favourite batch of starters (that would be Kalos/Sinnoh for me)

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom