• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
I feel like we will get Hogwarts and Harry Potter.

The owl can also become a grass/ghost if it mega evolves, but that we will discuss if the right time for it comes.
Even steel\grass with Levitate is posibble.
The Water starter could get Speed Boost , Prankster or something in that matter.
Fire is a mystery for me.
One of them could get even Fur Coat.
The water starter would make sense to be have Bulletproof now.(it plays with Balls)

Boom Burst and Perish Song could fit to every of these, Owl are known for screams but sea lions too. If Seal turns out to have Soundproof then Cat could get Perish Song and Owl gets Boom Burst.

What moves could they get in future?
Movesets:
Owl grass/flying( Noctowl??? psychic moves): Leaf Blade(with wing), Energy Ball, Mud Slap, Shadow Sneak, Phantom Force, Omnious Wind, Extra Sensory or Confusion, U-turn(first grass that needs to learn it), Powder, Zen Headbutt, Mist Ball, Pursuit, Moon Blast, Solar beam, Energy Ball, Flyin Press, Sky Upper Cut, Detect, Low Kick, Icy Wind or Glaciate, Roost(better then Synthesis), Mirror Move, Brave Bird, Cross Poison with wings, Steel Wing, Dark Pulse, Dual Chop, Twister, Giga Drain, Heat Wave,

Cat- fire(normal, dark, fire moves): Lava Plum, Quick Attack, Double Team, Smoke Screan, Smog, Furry Cutter, Slash, Nitro Charge, Metal Claw, Iron Tail, Play Rough???, Dazzling Gleam, Revenge, all fang and claw moves(Dragon and Shadow too), Nuzzle, Iron Tail,Dig(chimchar could); Hex; Destiny Bond, Copy Cat, Magical Leaf(black cat witch theme)

Sea lion-water(clowan? Mr Mime???): water moves, Water Spout, Agua Jest, Water Pulse, Aura Sphere, Rollout, Steamroller, Confusion, Signal Beam, Mirror Coat, Zen Headbutt, Mist Ball, Gravity, Telekinesis, Play Rough, Aqua Ring, Force Palm, Arm Thrust, Circle Throw, Storm Throw,Ice Shard, Icycle Crash, Gyro Ball, Iron Head, Bounce (it does it with Balls and Jumps high),Mud Bomb and Mud Shot,Knock Off, Water Spout, Dual Chop, Dragon Tail, Lick, Assist, Sonic Boom, Energy Ball,

Last edited:
Everytime I'm thinking about Popplio's evolution I'm more and more convinced that it would get Water/Fairy typing. Remember Mr Mime, which is part Fairy. This pink clown nose makes me wondering this possibility.

I don't think Rowlet will change typing, it will be Grass/Flying. I don't remember a single pokemon which drops any of their types through normal evolution.

So based upon what I've seen and read I think Popplio will stay a pure water type. It's a bit more plain then the other two and even in the discription they provided on the website it seems like they were struggling to come up with something interesting to say about it.

So based upon what I've seen and read I think Popplio will stay a pure water type. It's a bit more plain then the other two and even in the discription they provided on the website it seems like they were struggling to come up with something interesting to say about it.

I don't know, I think Water/Psychic could work. Looking at how it uses its bubbles if it's meant to be a performer with a ball, like a juggler or just a performing sea lion, Psychic would make sense for better control and manipulation of them. And not that it means much, but I think the trainer class Jugglers used Psychic Pokemon a lot too, didn't they?

The bubbles being blown from its nose also seems like a clown making those balloon animals too now that I think about it. There's a definite performer/clown/acrobat theme with Popplio.

So I showed my Mom the new starters (and bearing in mind she's a super crazy cat lady lol), I showed her Litten first and she went "aww it looks cute but kinda evil" which is awesome, 'cause I always call my cat Mr Evil Kitty. But then I showed her Rowlet and she went crazy and said "Omg I want that onee" ... Even I can't comprehend the effect this owl is having on people.

All hail King Rowlet. :p Haha in all seriousness though; I love all 3 so far.

I'm loving all three, which is perfect since I always make a team with all three starters and name them after RPG summon creatures (Final Fantasy, Tales of, Golden Sun, etc.,). I'm super excited to see how they evolve, and I'm hoping for Rowlet to stay Grass/Flying, Litten to go Fire/Dark, and Popplio to be either Water/Fairy (harlequin route) or Water/Fighting (acrobat route).

(And for those interested, I'm thinking of naming Rowlet "Boko" and Popplio "Undine", but I'm having a tough time with Litten...)

I wonder at what levels the Starters will evolve at. Probably the traditional 16/36, but as we've seen before that's not set in stone. But I suspect it'll be the standard setup this time around, which is what GF seems to be trying to stick to as of late.

And speaking of setups, I wonder if GF will make all the Starters and their final forms have equal BSTs, like the Unova Starters. That would ensure fairness and mean that no Starter has a complete advantage over the others in terms of BST. Move pools, on the other hand, will be another story.

But in any case, the more I look at them, the more I love the starters. Usually there's one I don't like, but this time around all three are equally appealing. I do wonder what the theme is this time around, if there is a theme.

Oh, and @Oz37 , I rather like your naming pattern ideas. Simple yet effective, and gives them plenty of meaning.

I still really don't know which one will I choose. but the first one that I really fell for was the bird grass type!
the cat is cool too... and the sea lion is cute, but so simple...maybe
but I don't know how i willl decide it! if it will be depending the first gym or the evolutions T.T

idk if its been said on here yet about Litten but i have a feeling he is gonna evolve into a form of a Tiger (fingerscrossed anyways) With the speculation that all of the fire types are in some form of the Chinese Zodiac, we got ourselves a kitten with stripes and whats in the Zodiac.... a Tiger, seems to go towards that way and im hoping they make it a worthy Tiger if it is gonna be one. So for this reason ill probably start off with Litten and then maybe the Owl. Not to say the seal doesnt look to bad, i just think i got my fill of seal when it came to Samurott but we shall see once the evos are released (if they will) But ill probably do what others have said and make a team with all three. done it before, why not again, especially since ill be getting both versions

The three new starters interest me. Rowlet is by far my favorite of the three, as I love owls, and it really gives me a Piplup vibe, so I'm hoping it will a receive an equally awesome final evolution. Poppolio is my least favorite of the three, though that's not to say I dislike it any, but the last two generations have had a trend of my least favorite starters (Oshawott & Chespin) receiving a very badass final evolution, so let's hope that remains true for this generation as well. While I like Litten, it's also the starter that I feel most unsure of. The design looks promising for a Fire/Dark typing, but I also thought the same thing of Tepig, with Emboar being vastly different than I imagined.

I think a Fire Poison Litten would be very interesting, not the greatest type coverage though. I don't want fire and dark cos that's Houndour and Houndooms thing and I don't want that taken from them

It probably won't happen bit I'd like to see Rowlet drop the flying type and be fighting. However it's unlikely. Hopefully it will be an Owl version of Staraptor, fast and physical with a great ability

As for Popplio, my least fave, water fairy would be OK but seeing as we have Marill line already I'm not too sure. Water fighting seems more plausible and in line with the circus performer gymnast theme

Or maybe they won't have secondary types? The whole " a simpler gen?"
Possible, but taking in consideration that we already got dual typing grass starter and the designs (especially Litten), the most possible is to get second types the other starters as well. I don't like pure type starters to be honest.

We just had Grass/Fighting with Chesnaught last gen though. Wouldn't you like it to keep Grass/Flying so it's unique amongst Grass starters?

This. I really hope Rowlet keeps its typing, as it's unique.

Rowlet's also interesting as it's the first starter since Bulbasaur to have a secondary typing in its first form. I don't know if that's an intended allusion, but it's worth noting.

So Gen V had the theme of nations (France, China, and Japan), and Gen VI were RPG archetypes (Knight, Mage, and Thief). Anyone think there's a pattern to be found here? I can see performer types, with the dapper emcee, the cool and collected daredevil, and the playful clown, but that's taking some creative license. Thoughts?

theoretically the owl could get weather moves for sun and rain and Weather Ball?
The water starter looks like it could pull Fake Tears.

This are all Good starters(hope they use their full potential of dualtyping and movesets),
Maybe in future 8 gen we will get a spider water/bug and a rhino grass/rock.
Its posibble looking , that we got grass/fight->grass/flying-> grass/-rock-steel-electric???

Last edited:
Litten's profile indicating that it
- spits fire furballs
- flames up when attacking

seems to have been taken from the features of a volcano. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true - Alola is based on Hawaii after all.

In fact it might just be easier to move this discussion to the leak/fake/rumour thread. So I'll do that now. That way we don't have to have endless posts with spoiler tags which I didn't think about :p

Edit: Ok done. Please discuss the potential typing leaks over in this thread for now: Pokemon Sun & Moon Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Just so people aren't spoiled in this one if it's true. The other thread has "leaks" in the title so no one can complain about being spoiled in that thread. :p

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom