• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

Initially, I loved Fennekin as much as everyone else did, but the other two have grown on me considerably. Froakie was the one I was the most "ehhhhh" over, but now I think he's just as adorable as the other two ;~; It's really going to come down to their final evos and their typings for me to choose who I am going to start with first.

Fennekin would be my first choice as my starter on on Pokemon X; I just have a feeling that it'll be the version I "settle" on and I'll transfer over Froakie and Chespin from Pokemon Y near the beginning, so I'll get to find out who's actually the most useful in battles, like I've done with previous generations.

I also side in a agreement with people who have the opinion that the evolution typing might be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting because the attacks used by the starters in the promo, do appear to support that theory because they could be Faint Attack, Beat Up* or Payback*, Psywave* or Confusion and Low Sweep or Rolling Kick. The animations could obviously be any number of attacks and not effect the typing but I wanted to pick ones that seemed logical (fitting with the dark-psychic-fighting theme and possible fits for the attack animations shown) and aimed to avoid attacks that were definitely way too powerful for lower level Pokemon.

* = I'm aware these attacks may not have been such appropriate choices, as the power varies. I tried to limit the power to 60 at the maximum.

Initially, I loved Fennekin as much as everyone else did, but the other two have grown on me considerably. Froakie was the one I was the most "ehhhhh" over, but now I think he's just as adorable as the other two ;~; It's really going to come down to their final evos and their typings for me to choose who I am going to start with first.

For me Froakie seems like something that Turtwig or Tepig fans will enjoy. It'll just take some time to grow on people

Dear Fennekin:

I don't care what your typing is as long as it's not Fire/Fighting.

Love,
me

Re: Just how long till will we see the evolutions >.<

Just be patient. It's only been 3 days. We'll see the evos in probably 8-10 months.

Dear Fennekin:

I don't care what your typing is as long as it's not Fire/Fighting.

Love,
me
I'm not gonna be Fire/Fighting! In the trailer, I was obviously using a Psychic attack.

Didn't we get to see BW starters within the same month as the games' release? I at least remember that DP's starter evolutions weren't revealed until the games actually came out.

In that case, it'll probably be the same here.

Fire/Fighting is repetitive, but it is better than a terrible typing like Fire/Flying at least.

because they could be Faint Attack [...] Low Sweep or Rolling Kick.

That attack look more like Aerial Ace or even Night Slash than Faint Attack.

Also, are these two last moves your bets for the move Froakie used in the video?

Check this out guys

tumblr_mghfxu3lMx1re82e4o1_500.jpg

just kidding :p

I like all three. But I adore grass types, so currently Chespin wins my favor.

I almost never care for the grass types much at all, but I am really liking Chespin. I'll be picking it first this October probably.

Fennekin is pretty good too. I still don't really like Froakie much. It's only gone from Bad to Meh for me.

With everybody complaining that Fennekin better not become Fire/Fighting, I'm kinda starting to root for this typing to happen. :)

Last edited:

I'm starting to think that Chespin, Fennekin and Frokie will be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting respectively which would make each of their STAB attacks normal on the other. I really like this idea.

Re: Starters final forms?

I realize there may be many objections to this, but I just had an interesting idea. I was thinking about Eevee and I liked how it had many evolutions and I thought more Pokemon should e like this. So why not the starters? I don't know if I even totally want this, but starters could have two evolution paths. This could be good because if Gamefreak wanted another Fire/fighting then they could but you could choose it to be another type. This could also help if you wanted a grass type with high defense, for example. But the water type had highest defense, you could pick the grass, but instead of a speedy Pokemon, you could have a bulky one. Please feel free to discuss.

Re: Starters final forms?

I would like it if the fire type evolved into a fire/psychic type that looks something like (and forgive me pokefans but...) this! I want this!
http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/V/VI/VIX/vixie13/1153107491_sKyuubimon.jpg :bounce:

The grass type looked to me like it might turn out to be a Grass/Dark type. (could have sworn i saw it use faint attack) I think he would look something like a spikey grass hedgehog(like werehog Sonic) or a grass version of Bertic really.:thumbup:

As for the water type I took him to be something like sismitoad in it's last evolution and be a water/fighting type which is okay with me as long as it's not the fire type.
:bounce:

I realize there may be many objections to this, but I just had an interesting idea. I was thinking about Eevee and I liked how it had many evolutions and I thought more Pokemon should e like this. So why not the starters? I don't know if I even totally want this, but starters could have two evolution paths. This could be good because if Gamefreak wanted another Fire/fighting then they could but you could choose it to be another type. This could also help if you wanted a grass type with high defense, for example. But the water type had highest defense, you could pick the grass, but instead of a speedy Pokemon, you could have a bulky one. Please feel free to discuss.

I think that would be interesting. If the starters were designed that way you could very well design your starter whenever you see fit to complement you team in a way which best benefits you. It would also be interesting to see what other trainers would have chosen to evolve their starter into. But then part of me feels it's unnecessary because you have such a wide spread of pokemon who's stats and strengths vary that you could put a pretty decent team together with or without your starter. So it would be a pretty nifty thing for the trainer but in the end the trainer still might not end up using the starter at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

I remember seeing a couple of middle evolutions on a BW anime character scale sheet that got posted in early summer. The full Unova starter evolution lines were leaked shortly after, but people were skeptical until they were confirmed much closer to the Japanese release date.

Didn't we get to see BW starters within the same month as the games' release? I at least remember that DP's starter evolutions weren't revealed until the games actually came out.

In that case, it'll probably be the same here.

If I remember correctly, the final evolutions were revealed in the last Corocoro issue before the games were released. However, we knew about the starters ahead of Corocoro because someone had leaked them.

I don't care to see the final evolutions of the starters and would rather find it while playing the game. I would like to see brand new Pokemon though.

Do you guys think it'll be too soon to reveal more new Pokemon next month?

I'd be happy if Corocoro reveals 2 new Pokemon each month leading up to the release of the games.

Starter evolutions are some of the last Pokemon revealed.

The only generation in which they were revealed super early was Gen II.

In Gen III, only Blaziken was revealed early.

We didn't get Gen IV and V starter evos till the month of release.

In other words, don't expect to see them till September 2013 at earliest.

Back
Top Bottom