• NMLewis takes on a Tough challenge. Can he win a Normal Rank Contest? Watch here to find out!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!
  • Hello all! The staff is planning a restructuring to the forums on April 11th. Please see this announcemnt thread for details.

SPOILERS: Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

These starters really blew me away this time. I remember the Gen V starters getting loads of stick and I don't like Oshawott or Snivy even now. I didn't even like Tepig that much after I saw Emboar. This time around the starters look really good though. I am not fussed on Chespin but I am never usually fussed on the grass type, Snivy just took the biscuit there. Froakie looks awesome and I fell in love with Fennekin right from the start. My mind will be made up by their evolutions and I really hope they don't screw Fennekin or Froakie up. In the trailer there's a shot of Fennekin using what looks like a Psychic move which made me happy - looks like the reign of Fire/Fighting is well and truly over. I also really hope they don't miraculously teach Fennekin to walk on two legs or I'll have to go with Froakie, which will be sad because another Fire Fox is welcome on my team any day.

LanguageSponge

Fossil Expert
Reaction score
Re: Starters final forms?

Of the fanart that we've seen so far, these ones are probably my favorites/what I would like to see.

Chespin (All three are actually really good in my opinion):

xLJdu.jpg

Fennekin:

r90jtx.png

Froakie:

tumblr_mgizowUe4H1qcqjsdo2_1280.jpg

Reaction score

I would applaud Game Freak if they made the final stages of all starters pure-typed as well.
Yup, me too.

I never liked speculative mon-fanart, Pokemon has some design-phylosophy none can mimic.

Master of Time
Reaction score

Of the fanart that we've seen so far, these ones are probably my favorites/what I would like to see.

Chespin (All three are actually really good in my opinion):

View attachment 83774
These are the best ones I've seen so far, Chespin turning into an armadilla/hedgehog fits quite well.

However, I'm not hoping for anything. Never been someone who speculates a lot about evolution designs, I just like to watch other people's view on things, haha.

Movie Star
Reaction score

I like seeing these fake evos because they can be well done. I doubt their actual evos will be similar. the Chepsin in the top picture Sir Turtlot posted is pretty good, that how I think it should look. I wouldnt mind if the evos stayed Dual types, its probably been said endlessly, but Id rather Fennekin remain pure Fire than gain the Fighting type for it's evos.

#TeamSword
Reaction score

So was the whole "Fire starters are based on the Chinese Zodiac" theory proven false this time? There's no fox sign in the Chinese Zodiac. Unless Fennekin evolves into a tiger or dog which I doubt.

Reaction score

So was the whole "Fire starters are based on the Chinese Zodiac" theory proven false this time? There's no fox sign in the Chinese Zodiac. Unless Fennekin evolves into a tiger or dog which I doubt.
Well, admittedly it was already pretty iffy since Cyndaquil only barely fit it but pretty much, this is the final nail in the coffin assuming GF doesn't pull a Dragonite/Samurott on us and change up the design drastically.

#TeamSword
Reaction score

Well, admittedly it was already pretty iffy since Cyndaquil only barely fit it but pretty much, this is the final nail in the coffin assuming GF doesn't pull a Dragonite/Samurott on us and change up the design drastically.
Tbh, Fennekin evolving into a tiger-like pokemon wouldn't be that farfetch'd but I hope they don't do it. And yeah, other than the "Fire Mouse" classification Cyndaquil barely fits.

Reaction score

I think Fennekin=Dog fits just as well as Cyndaquil=Rat, or, in fact, way better because Cyndaquil is in no way a rat.

Charmander isn't really a dragon either, though.

All in all I seriously doubt that was ever a real thing.

#TeamSword
Reaction score

I think Fennekin=Dog fits just as well as Cyndaquil=Rat, or, in fact, way better because Cyndaquil is in no way a rat.

Charmander isn't really a dragon either, though.

All in all I seriously doubt that was ever a real thing.
Charizard is technically a dragon. But yeah I think it was all a coincidence. I even heard some people say Pokemon will only have 12 generations because the Chinese Zodiac has 12 signs. Umm, you can't base a theory on another theory.

Reaction score

CyndaQUIL, Cyndaquil was mostly based on a porcupine, a creature that isn't in the Chinese Zodiac.

Reaction score

CyndaQUIL, Cyndaquil was mostly based on a porcupine, a creature that isn't in the Chinese Zodiac.
Cyndaquil is based on an echidna I think... but he'x called the Fire Mouse so...

as for Fennekin Fox's are canine and are related to dogs so he can still technicly could fit

Reaction score

Well, Porcupines are in the rodent order. :p

I don't buy this theory, but it wasn't necessarily proven false.
Fennekin can work as the dog as Cyndaquil works as the rat, even though neither of them are really based on those animals.

Let's see:

Charmander - Dragon, but it is actually a salamander/lizard.
Cyndaquil - Rat, but it is actually an echidna.
Torchic - Rooster.
Chimchar - Monkey.
Tepig - Pig/Boar.
Fennekin - Dog, but it is actually a fennec fox.

We'll see in three or four years in they are really using the Chinese Zodiac as basis for the Fire starters. We still have the rabbit, snake, ox, tiger, horse and goat.
Man... A Fire-type Goat is definitely something I would like to see.
True...

Reaction score

Fennekin can work as the dog as Cyndaquil works as the rat, even though neither of them are really based on those animals.

Let's see:

Torchic - Rooster.
Chimchar - Monkey.
Tepig - Pig/Boar.

We'll see in three or four years in they are really using the Chinese Zodiac as basis for the Fire starters. We still have the rabbit, snake, ox, tiger, horse and goat.
True...
Nonononono! If they were doing a Chinese Zodiac than they would have been much clearer with designs. It's too farfetch'ed. Get real people and don't always nickpick theories, it's also Chinese and Pokemon is Japanese, it would have been much more plausible if it was Japanese (not saying that they don't use stuff of other cultures, mind you). It's almost like saying that Chespin will become a reptile in time, or something.

(Regarding Chespin: Oh wait, mammals have an ancestor in the reptiles! I see the link now! See? The grass-starters are still more or less based on reptiles! *sarcasm off*)

Last edited:
Reaction score

Let's see:

Torchic - Rooster.
Chimchar - Monkey.
Tepig - Pig/Boar.

True...
Nonononono! If they were doing a Chinese Zodiac than they would have been much clearer with designs. It's too farfetch'ed. Get real people and don't always nickpick theories, it's also Chinese and Pokemon is Japanese, it would have been much more plausible if it was Japanese (not saying that they don't use stuff of other cultures, mind you). It's almost like saying that Chespin will become a reptile in time, or something.

(Regarding Chespin: Oh wait, mammals have an ancestor in the reptiles! I see the link now! See? The grass-starters are still more or less based on reptiles! *sarcasm off*)
How would it being Japanese make it more plausible? You yourself said they already use different cultures so why would it being Chinese make it less so?

And assuming you're talking about the Dimetrodon, it isn't even closely related to reptiles.

#TeamSword
Reaction score

Let's see:

Torchic - Rooster.
Chimchar - Monkey.
Tepig - Pig/Boar.

I guess you're right. Still, I'm not buying this theory either.

Reaction score

Let's see:

Torchic - Rooster.
Chimchar - Monkey.
Tepig - Pig/Boar.

True...

How would it being Japanese make it more plausible? You yourself said they already use different cultures so why would it being Chinese make it less so?

And assuming you're talking about the Dimetrodon, it isn't even closely related to reptiles.
Synapsid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This stuff. But, yeah, they aren't really reptiles:/

I still think the Chinese Zodiac-theory isn't plausible and I think it's already busted *looks at Cyndaquil and Fennekin*.

Reaction score
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

I hope the starters get a signature move again!
Cause Froakie can't use Razor shell except it pulls one out of his bag. some new bubble move could seem interesting.
Fennekin could use Flame-charge but I would love a fire laser move Superman-style
Chespin could use some needle move or a leave move like flame charge