• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

The more I stare at the artwork for the starters, the more Chespin is growing on me. I pretty much always take the Grass-type starter, but Chespin just seems like a wee legend! I'm desperately hoping he's going to be a physical attacker.

Looks like snowflakes combined with a frosty mist alternatively. Meaning it could be icy wind

Issue is, when it hits Pansear, it looks like splashes of water... unless they randomly spliced things together, but that'd be a bit odd. As such, it's either odd graphics that they're still working on, or a cold version of Scald.

Of which, I wonder what the name could be.
Freezer Burn?

Late to the party, but for the 4th generation in a row, the grass starter gets my vote. Love it.

I will give props to the fire starter though, for the 1st time since Cyndaquil, I am impressed.

As for the water one..meh.

Personally, Fennekin doesn't seem like it's going to evolve into a Fire/Fighting starter. It's just so kawaii. The only way I can visualize a Fire/Fighting Fennekin evo is if they make it look like Renamon.

Though the keyword here is seem. And that Renamon thing (AKA make it stand on two legs, AKA what they did with Tepig) is still possible.

Personally, Fennekin doesn't seem like it's going to evolve into a Fire/Fighting starter. It's just so kawaii. The only way I can visualize a Fire/Fighting Fennekin evo is if they make it look like Renamon.

Though the keyword here is seem. And that Renamon thing (AKA make it stand on two legs, AKA what they did with Tepig) is still possible.
*Eye twitches at the use of 'kawaii'*

Well, I wouldn't rule it out too much, considering that they've shown it is possible to be fighting while being on four legs (The Musketeer trio and Keldeo), but the probability of it being Fire/Fighting for the fourth time in a row is rather small.

It's amazing how much love Fennekin is getting. Froakie is still the one I find myself loving the most. Chespin is cute too, but I never really pick the Grass starter because I never found them to have that great of move pools.

Judging by the comments I've seen, Froakie seems to be the most popular one after Fennekin and yet Chespin has 9 more votes. Strange.

Judging by the comments I've seen, Froakie seems to be the most popular one after Fennekin and yet Chespin has 9 more votes. Strange.

maybe some of the members just voted but never really joined the discussion or atleast are just lurking around the thread.

maybe some of the members just voted but never really joined the discussion or atleast are just lurking around the thread.

Lurking around in the threads? I never lurk! Just look at the threads at the different notes, and nod while agreeing that it is strange that Chespin has more votes. Yes. That's not lurking at all... But as a non-lurker without suspiciously specific denial, while Chespin's votes seem strange, I do have a few ideas as to why it occurs.

See, Chespin is my favourite. I can't pin my finger on exactly why, it seems to be his general design. And perhaps that is why there aren't many (relatively) comments about him. To me, Chespin's attractiveness as a starter seems more mellow, and less...defined, or obvious as the others. Froakie has that cool, cat-burglar/maestro look, and Fennekin has a sleek design, which is clearly defined - like Froakie's. As Chespin's design seems less defined, and more natural and wholesome (à mon avis; my favouritism is rife), it's possible that people who vote for him do not comment as they simply cannot put their finger on what they find so attractive, or aren't as excited as the others - as Chespin's design does not stick out, so people are less likely to scream about how awesome he is. Awesome I say.

Last edited:

Yeah, quite possibly.

Lurking around in the threads? I never lurk! Just look at the threads at the different notes, and nod while agreeing that it is strange that Chespin has more votes. Yes. That's not lurking at all... But as a non-lurker without suspiciously specific denial, while Chespin's votes seem strange, I do have a few ideas as to why it occurs.

See, Chespin is my favourite. I can't pin my finger on exactly why, it seems to be his general design. And perhaps that is why there aren't many (relatively) comments about him. To me, Chespin's attractiveness as a starter seems more mellow, and less...defined, or obvious as the others. Froakie has that cool, cat-burglar/maestro look, and Fennekin has a sleek design, which is clearly defined - like Froakie's. As Chespin's design seems less defined, and more natural and wholesome (à mon avis; my favouritism is rife), it's possible that people who vote for him do not comment as they simply cannot put their finger on what they find so attractive, or aren't as excited as the others - as Chespin's design does not stick out, so people are less likely to scream about how awesome he is. Awesome I say.

That makes a lot of sense actually.

Re: Gen VI Shiny Starters - Thoughts?

Chespin: Its hat/back will be coloured a yellowy-orange colour

Fennekin: Its main body will be white, and the orange fur will be sky blue

Froakie: Possibly a reddish-purple colour for the body, its foam coat will probably be turquoise

Chespin has been my favorite from day one. I really like all 3 but Chespin has a very unique design for a starter pokemon(especially grass). I am very interested in seeing how they will all evolve.

I like how chespin's grass become spikes, I love porcupines. I think by the third evo it's back will have more than a few spikes.

83849.png

Chespin has been my favorite from day one. I really like all 3 but Chespin has a very unique design for a starter pokemon(especially grass). I am very interested in seeing how they will all evolve.

I like how chespin's grass become spikes, I love porcupines. I think by the third evo it's back will have more than a few spikes.

83849.png

same here, really excited to see all their evolved forms. this is one of the Chespin evolved artwork i really liked and it's really close to your description.

pokemon-chespin-evolution.jpg

I hope the official one will somehow look like that one. Froakie has the weirdest evo artwork out of the three i'm really hoping it's evo line will look cooler.

I have to go for Froakie as my favourite, it was the only one that really stood out to me when I first watched the X Y trailer, plus I haven't picked a water starter for a while. I'm still very interested to see how the evolved forms of the other two develop though.

So, don't get me wrong, I still think Froakie is #1, but...

I think I'm going to use Chespin. These past couple of days, I've been thinking about his design (over-thinking to be honest) and I just need to see how his evolutionary stages play out. Not just look-wise but typing, move set, stats; The works. Now, Froakie's a cool dude. I'll be okay with whatever outcome he gets, but Chespin just feels more mysterious or complex.

I'll choose Fennekin even if it turns out to be Fire/Fighting.

I'm wanting it to be Fire/Psychic or even Fire/Ghost, but I still want all three of them, so adorable~

Watch them not evolve at all.

I want to see Fennekin evolve into something more clearly feline than canine so that certain fans will stop waving that "the fire starters are all based on the chinese zodiac!" crap around like it means something. No, Cyndaquil is not a rat, it's an echidna. Yes, the dex says it's a "fire mouse", but mice are not rats either.

That being said, a sphinx-like evolution would be cool. :U

I want to see Fennekin evolve into something more clearly feline than canine so that certain fans will stop waving that "the fire starters are all based on the chinese zodiac!" crap around like it means something. No, Cyndaquil is not a rat, it's an echidna. Yes, the dex says it's a "fire mouse", but mice are not rats either.

Why would Fennekin become more Feline? It's clearly based on the Fennec Fox, of the Vulpes genus, which is more canine. (not connected to felines at all) I'm hoping it becomes more fox-like.

Journey to the West, not Chinese zodiac. And there was really no canine in JttW, or at least none that were notable enough. So I think the chances of another fire-type JttW character is less likely this time, though many believe that Froakie will be JttW's Kappa character. In before Poliwrath clone accusations.

And besides, there was a cat in the Chinese zodiac once, part of a myth where the rat tricked it out of the group.

Journey to the West, not Chinese zodiac. And there was really no canine in JttW, or at least none that were notable enough. So I think the chances of another fire-type JttW character is less likely this time, though many believe that Froakie will be JttW's Kappa character. In before Poliwrath clone accusations.

And besides, there was a cat in the Chinese zodiac once, part of a myth where the rat tricked it out of the group.

The accusations already started the moment he was revealed as another water frog, poor thing.

Not to mention there's a tiger in the group as well so the argument could be made that it took that position.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom