• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

I want to see Fennekin evolve into something more clearly feline than canine so that certain fans will stop waving that "the fire starters are all based on the chinese zodiac!" crap around like it means something. No, Cyndaquil is not a rat, it's an echidna. Yes, the dex says it's a "fire mouse", but mice are not rats either.

That being said, a sphinx-like evolution would be cool. :U

Journey to the West, not Chinese zodiac. And there was really no canine in JttW, or at least none that were notable enough. So I think the chances of another fire-type JttW character is less likely this time, though many believe that Froakie will be JttW's Kappa character. In before Poliwrath clone accusations.

And besides, there was a cat in the Chinese zodiac once, part of a myth where the rat tricked it out of the group.

The accusations already started the moment he was revealed as another water frog, poor thing.

Not to mention there's a tiger in the group as well so the argument could be made that it took that position.

Except Poliwrath is still a tadpole (and thus another lazy Gen I design he's just a buff Poliwhirl)

I want to see Fennekin evolve into something more clearly feline than canine so that certain fans will stop waving that "the fire starters are all based on the chinese zodiac!" crap around like it means something. No, Cyndaquil is not a rat, it's an echidna. Yes, the dex says it's a "fire mouse", but mice are not rats either.

Journey to the West, not Chinese zodiac. And there was really no canine in JttW, or at least none that were notable enough. So I think the chances of another fire-type JttW character is less likely this time, though many believe that Froakie will be JttW's Kappa character. In before Poliwrath clone accusations.

And besides, there was a cat in the Chinese zodiac once, part of a myth where the rat tricked it out of the group.

The accusations already started the moment he was revealed as another water frog, poor thing.

Not to mention there's a tiger in the group as well so the argument could be made that it took that position.

Except Poliwrath is still a tadpole (and thus another lazy Gen I design he's just a buff Poliwhirl)

Well yeah, but unfortunately that is a complaint that is still common against the poor guy.

Last edited:

To be frank, he more resembles an adult frog that still has the clear belly of the tadpole stages. But that is besides the point. The point I was trying to make is that a water/fighting Froakie evolution will just bring Poliwrath to mind, and subsequent accusations. But hey, we're already getting that. OR it will just make people go "Froakie is the water equivalent of Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar, and therefore another pattern follower." The starters are always going to get some bad rep over pointless stuff.

I know that Infernape and Emboar's lines are based on Journey to the West characters. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fans who seem intent to force some nonexistent pattern on all the fire starters, not just those two, for reasons I shall never comprehend.

And that just figures D:

To be frank, you can argue that all fire starters from Gen 3 onwards have had some sort of Asian theme, even if it's not outright Chinese themed. Blaziken is based on the Shamo fighting roosters, which were mostly bred in Japan. And then you have Fennekin, while supposed to be a fennec fox, could very well draw inspiration from kitsune foxes as well. But it's not really the fans themselves who are drawing these conclusions, the origins are more or less officially true.

Out of curiosity, are the Japanese names of the starters identical to the English ones this time around? If not, can someone who reads Japanese post what they are?

Out of curiosity, are the Japanese names of the starters identical to the English ones this time around? If not, can someone who reads Japanese post what they are?

Chespin - Harimaron
Fennekin - Fokko
Froakie - Keromatsu

Anyway, I'm probably gonna pick Chespin. Mainly because I have really bad OCD when it come to starters. So I'll have two Water (Mudkip and Piplup) two Fire (Charmander and Tepig) and two Grass (Chikorita and Chespin)

Last edited:

The Fire Starters based off the Chinese Zodiac goes as follows:
Charizard - Dragon
Typholsion - Rat
Blaziken - Rooster
Infernape - Monkey
Emboar - Pig
Fennekin - Dog

Eh, I could believe it. I people from many places on the internet get angry over this observation and I don't really understand why they are getting so mad. Explosively in some cases. Most of it I saw stemmed form people arguing that this isn't true because Typhlosion and Fennekin are completely different animals from what the observation says they are. It's a stretch to say that they fit the pattern but it's not really something to get so angry about and ultimately this observation isn't important either. You could even expand this and say that Gamefreak is making a slew of Fire-types that are based off the Chinese Zodiac with some like Rapidash and Arcanine that would prominently fit into the pattern.

Chespin - Harimaron
Fennekin - Fokko
Froakie - Keromatsu

Harimaron - "harinezumi" as in hedgehog and "hari" as in needle; "maron" as in maroon which is French for chestnut
Fokko - from fox and "ko" as in child; also, how unfortunate for English speakers and writers
Keromatsu - "kero" or "gero" as in croaking; "matsu" as in bubble or foam and "himatsu" as in spray or splash

I'mma go with Chespin. He's frackin' adorable but still looks like he'd pack a punch (plus DAT BEANIE yo!), plus I have an affinity for Grass types so I'll stick by that fo deffs.

Froakie is cool and all but I can't see him as starter material for me personally, but that's purely because I get way too emotionally attached to my Pokemon and the whole 'choosing of the starter' is a major thing for me. But yeah, I'll have to skip his amphibian epicness this time.

Fennekin is sweet and foxes are cray bad ass, but all I can see is the crazy ass ear hair she's sprouting. But I'll probably be eating my words by next October and be one of the newfound Fennekin fans doubting their starter choice. Oh well.

I'm loving all three of them though... bravo/brava to the Gen VI Pokéteam, they've impressed like woah thus far, hopefully everything else follows suit.

Chespin - Harimaron
Fennekin - Fokko
Froakie - Keromatsu
Harimaron - "harinezumi" as in hedgehog and "hari" as in needle; "maron" as in maroon which is French for chestnut
Fokko - from fox and "ko" as in child; also, how unfortunate for English speakers and writers
Keromatsu - "kero" or "gero" as in croaking; "matsu" as in bubble or foam and "himatsu" as in spray or splash
Thanks; I think learning the names (and their meanings) in the original language helps when interpreting the Pokemon. My thoughts:
Hariman: I thought he was some kind of porcupine or hedgehog. This might kill my 'evolves-into-an-armadillo' theory.
Fokko: "Fokkusu" is is the... 'Romanized' (not sure if that's the right term) for Fox, so I can see 'Fokkusu-Ko' in that, but the name seems a little lackluster when compared to the others. And easy to abuse.
Keromatsu: So it's fluffy backpack/cape/whatever is foam, then... which prolly means that's not a mustache or glasses on his nose... and could mean he's blowing bubbles out of it. (...) Huh. Out of curiosity, can 'kero' be read as 'gero' since its an onamonapia, or does Japanese work that way?
The Fire Starters based off the Chinese Zodiac goes as follows:
Charizard - Dragon
Typholsion - Rat
Blaziken - Rooster
Infernape - Monkey
Emboar - Pig
Fennekin - Dog

Eh, I could believe it. I people from many places on the internet get angry over this observation and I don't really understand why they are getting so mad. Explosively in some cases. Most of it I saw stemmed form people arguing that this isn't true because Typhlosion and Fennekin are completely different animals from what the observation says they are. It's a stretch to say that they fit the pattern but it's not really something to get so angry about and ultimately this observation isn't important either. You could even expand this and say that Gamefreak is making a slew of Fire-types that are based off the Chinese Zodiac with some like Rapidash and Arcanine that would prominently fit into the pattern.
I can't believe people would get so butt-hurt about something that makes so little sense. (Wait, this is the internet, so I can. Nevermind.) Westerners often don't know enough about the Chinese Zodiac to even make an educated statement about that, and I think this is some fine evidence. Not only is it illogical to assume this is true, it's silly to defend - especially when they claim Typhlosion's a rat. (I know it's classified as a 'Mouse Pokemon' as Cyndaquil, but I think of badgers when I look at him...)

I can see an association between Infernape & Emboar, but that's only because they seem to be based on Son Wukong, the Monkey King, right down to the design of the band around its chest (which was around Monkey King's forehead), and Zhu Bajie (AKA 'Pig' or 'Pigsy'), from Journey to the West.

Implying that this is some kind of pattern in the first place also implies that Sugimori/GF had been planning multiple generations from the time Gen1 came out in order to complete this cycle. If GF were to release a set of Zodiac-based Pokemon, wouldn't they all be part of some set of legendaries or something, and wouldn't it be blatant?

Wizard's First Rule: "People will believe anything is true so long as they want, hope, or fear that it is true."

Leaning towards Fennekin, but I'll have to see the final evos. Probably won't pick Chespin just because I'm not a big fan of grass starters.

I have a feeling if Chepsin's evolution could get a bigger green armor! that thing from his head could become huge!

Really hope Froakie is part fighting in his evos and doesn't get fat and 4-legged!

My hubby called Froakie right away so it was between the grass type, Chespin and the fire type, Fennekin. I decided that I would go with whatever was left after my friend made his choice. Although when I had made that choice I kinda made it "knowing" that he would go with the fire type cause that's his usual favorite so I had my eyes on Chespin. Then he called me telling me he would take chespin because the fire fox looked to girly....so I got Fennekin.Attachment 83835 (http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/attachments/f323/83835-whos-your-starter-gen-vi-fennekin.jpg)

And all I have to say about that is...Attachment 83837 (http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/attachments/f323/83837-whos-your-starter-gen-vi-no-fighting.jpg)

Just thought up of something, but what if Froakie is some kinda french nobleman, with a rapier of sorts? I mean his hands look like rapier gloves, and his name could be something like Froakuin to give it some sorta fancy name.

Not that I believe the zodiac idea, but making Fennekin more feline wouldn't change anything; people would just say it represented the tiger. Yes, the tiger, because if Charizard can equal dragon, and Typhlosion can be the rat, then a feline Pokémon could certainly be the tiger. That said, the whole theory's kind of discredited anyway because fox =/= dog (or cat).

I'm getting Fennekin. Mainly because I usually get the Fire type starter, and I like Fennekin's design the best. Unless it ends up being unusably bad, then I'm going with the FireFox. (You know, not the brow- ah, nvm).

To answer the poll, Chespin is my favorite without a doubt.

- Froakie has an upside down penis on his face.

- And Fennekin? I can just hear the pokedex now.
Fennekin. The orange pokemon. Many years ago in a galaxy far away, a Vulpix escaped from it's trainer and had it's way with someone's chiuaua. And thus a new pokemon was born.

I don't want to go off topic, but I feel compelled to say this: Poliwrath is actually quite a clever design. Whatever material the evolution stones are composed of mutated Poliwhirl into an over-developed tadpole rather than it naturally becoming a frog. The same 'mutation' rather than natural maturing can be said for the majority of the stone-evolving Pokémon.

I saw the new starters and I immediately wanted Chespin. He's freakin' adorable, and looks like he has the best potential for great evolutions. So unless they really drop the ball on his final design, I'm choosing this guy.

I initially didn't like Froakie but he has grown on me quite a bit. I don't think he looks like a thief; he has pince-nez glasses and a skullet like some popular images of scholars (someone compared him to Benjamin Franklin, and I totally see it).

I gotta say, I'm not impressed with Fennekin. He looks like he's kinda just a generic cute fox thing. He's not awful, but compared to the other two, he just didn't grab my attention. But at least he doesn't look like a Fighting type at all.

Are we totally sure the fully evolved starters are even gonna have dual types? I mean, the only generation where all 3 starters have dual types was Gen IV. Gen II didn't have any. Emboar was the only starter in Gen V to have a dual type, and Sceptile and Blastoise didn't have dual types in their respective generations. I have a feeling one of them is going to be a pure type. My guess would be Fennekin.

Back
Top Bottom