• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

I still like Fennekin the best. I'm pretty curious how the stick will affect its evolution. Maybe it becomes a witch? I don't see it only as feminine, I can't seriously understand people that see Pokémon only as one gender LOL.
Now that I looked into Chespin evo more, it's kinda adorable, chesnut shape is kept. And Froakie's evo looks pretty cool too!

Well the rumors did say that Fennekin's evolution is based off of a witch. And this evolution, solidified fennekin as my favorite starter of the gen 6 and 5.

inb4 hariboogu becomes shelgon 2 electric boogaloo

You have two choices with the fire starter:
1. Believe that they aren't misleading you, and that the final form will be Fire/Psychic to go along with its movepool.
2. Realize that Ariados, Poliwrath, Magmar, Darmanitan, Volcarona, Chandelure, and Corsola all learn Psychic. Ariados is weak to Psychic, Poliwrath is a FIGHTING type that learns Psychic and is weak to it, Corsola has absolutely no connection to psychic powers, and several fire types already learn it. And then combine this with the knowledge that the middle evolution of the fire starter has transitioned to a bipedal form similar to Lopunny (who is almost fighting type) and similar to the transition made by Tepig to Pignite. Then accept the fact that there will be a fire/fighting fox pokemon as the final evolution of the starter yet again.

Not so sure now, are you?

But it learns Psychic, Psybeam, and Psyshock. I think that's a pretty good indicator. :3

You have two choices with the fire starter:
1. Believe that they aren't misleading you, and that the final form will be Fire/Psychic to go along with its movepool.
2. Realize that Ariados, Poliwrath, Magmar, Darmanitan, Volcarona, Chandelure, and Corsola all learn Psychic. Ariados is weak to Psychic, Poliwrath is a FIGHTING type that learns Psychic and is weak to it, Corsola has absolutely no connection to psychic powers, and several fire types already learn it. And then combine this with the knowledge that the middle evolution of the fire starter has transitioned to a bipedal form similar to Lopunny (who is almost fighting type) and similar to the transition made by Tepig to Pignite. Then accept the fact that there will be a fire/fighting fox pokemon as the final evolution of the starter yet again.

Not so sure now, are you?

or you can realise most fire types go bipedal after the first stage, and that the grass types go quadpedal?

Last edited:

I had hope before the reveals Fennekin's evo would stir up my interest in it again after I had already sort of decided I wouldn't choose Fennekin, but nope :-/ I really don't like the design. I'm really disappointed the Fire-type of this Gen doesn't fulfill my tastes so far, since Fire is one of my favourite types. Oh well, there's still Charmander to get.

Then there's Chespin's evo. At first I didn't really like this design too. It's cool that it looks so happy, but it reminds me too much of Pignite. I think it still has really good potential to evolve into something very cool though.

The more I see Froakie's evo, the more I like it. So sleek and cool. With a certain sense of calmness. Even though I chose Oshawott in Black, I usually don't train Water-types, but at this point, I would choose Froakie.

Kinda surprised by the reactions here.

This has pretty much cemented Fennekin for me. I love it. Chespin evo is...eugh. Froakie is okay, but I'm pretty meh on it.

This just confirms that Chespin is my favorite starter. That evolution is just adorably cute. Froakie's evolution is really cool looking too. Fennekin has been my least favorite for the whole time and its evolution definitely doesn't change that.

Out of the evolutions, Froakie's middle stage is easily the best. It's so sleek and cool. It also really gives off a ninja vibe, which makes me think that it could evolve into a Water/Dark type. Fennekin's evolution is just so beautiful and the fact that it becomes bipedal actually works for it. Chespin is my favorite of the starters, but its middle stage is my least favorite. Its cute that it's so happy, but it reminds me too much of Pignite and that doesn't quite work for me. I'd love it if it was a Shelgon situation and then its final evolved form looks completely awesome.

So, in terms of which starters to choose from, I'm still a bit unsure. The final forms will really decide more than these middle stages. Although, the idea of choosing Chespin in X and Froakie in Y sounds a bit more appealing since I really like Froakie's evolved form and despite how I feel about Chespin's middle stage, I wouldn't want to not choose it in one of the games due to being my favorite starter. As much as I like Fennekin and I could choose it for my starter in X, I might be okay with waiting for the third version/sequel games to train it, if only because I might want to try out Froakie and there are a lot of other Fire types available relatively early in the game to choose from. Curse my indecisiveness.

After seeing the evolutions I'm praying even more now that Fennekin doesn't evolve into a Fire/Fighting type.

Mm. I'm with who ever mentioned doing the poll over from scratch just for the pleasure of seeing the opinion shift now.

But to stay on topic: Chespin really let himself go with this new stage but he looks like he's having the time of his life so I can't help but smile when seeing him.

Fennekin's is neither here nor there design wise but what really caught my attention was its noted profile. Makes me curious what it'll become in the future. I also await any and all incoming jokes with known Witch/Wizard characters.

Froakie's is hands down the coolest looking. Has a ninja-vibe sure, but what I more get when looking at 'im is that of an asskicking aged butler type. So I'm gonna settle with this guy.

The Kalos starters are a pretty interesting bunch. Can't wait to see their final forms (and I pray they get Mega Evos. They're the poster children of this Gen and as such, the most deserving of one).

Froakie's evolution is pretty awesome. It's like a less cutesy version of Politoed at this stage, and I think it's final evolution will probably look decent.

The only reason I wouldn't pick it is if the final evolution of Chespin is completely epic. I think they can definitely borrow a few things from Shiftry's design and make something interesting.

I definitely see Teruna becoming a witch, with its broom like stick/tail combo and the fur looking like a dress.

I honestly think Gekogashira looks weird. It resembles a tree frog more than a typical frog now, which isn't a bad thing, but it just looks too sleek to me. And the eyes completely changing position will take a bit of getting used to :u

Last edited:

Well my interest has shifted back to fenikin for a starter, chespin just doesn't really speak to me aesthetically.

I suppose it could change in the final form, but if fenikin is a taste of things to come I suspect I'm going to stick with it no matter how cool chespins final form (hopefully) comes out being. (I rather like froakies evo too, but for some reason I just don't feel like training a water type right now)

I haven't trained a fire type initially since Gen 3 so that may be what is pushing me towards fenikin as well (other than the love of foxes in general).

Well my interest has shifted back to fenikin for a starter, chespin just doesn't really speak to me aesthetically.

I suppose it could change in the final form, but if fenikin is a taste of things to come I suspect I'm going to stick with it no matter how cool chespins final form (hopefully) comes out being. (I rather like froakies evo too, but for some reason I just don't feel like training a water type right now)

I haven't trained a fire type initially since Gen 3 so that may be what is pushing me towards fenikin as well (other than the love of foxes in general).

I was going to choose Chespin, but now I'm going to wait until the final forms are out before I really choose him, I've been leaning more towards Fennekin as well.

You guys don't understand how deep my love for Chespin is rooted. CHESPIN'S EVOLUTION COULD LITERALLY BE A GARBAGE BAG AND I'D CHOOSE IT. CHESPIN IS MY BABY CHILD AND I WILL NOT REJECT A MON FOR ITS LOOKS.

Us underdogs gotta stick together. *clings to precious Chesbabies*

/end overemotional nerdgasm

I'm really happy to see these names match up with the trademarked names that were discovered a month or so ago. It cements Fennekin becoming a witch/wizard, Froakie a ninja (which has already been made obvious as a Froakie), and Chespin becoming a knight (with relations to a type of medieval armor).

No Fennekin. It was too soon for you to become furbait. :(

Fennekin was furbait from the very beginning :(

Snoop Frog is just so cool. If my heart wasn't already set on Chespin I would totally use it.

Fennekin evo is probably the least impressive in my eyes, although that broom tail is a bit interesting.

tumblr_msyt34xj0W1qdjcg5o1_r1_500.jpg

Froakie's evo gives me Grovyle vibes and I liking it, Chespin's evo gives me Pignite vibes and I'm not liking that and Fennekin's evo well I'm waiting to see what it's typing in it's final stage ends up being before I say anything.

No Fennekin. It was too soon for you to become furbait. :(

Fennekin was furbait from the very beginning :(

And froakies isn't?

Almost every pokemon is an anthropomorphised animal/plant/object to some degree, so I really don't understand the sense of these kinds of statements to begin with, or the fear/dislike associated with that aesthetic (but only aimed at certain pokemon, when many fit the definition). Through out art history we as human beings have been anthropomorphising things for a very very long time.

OMG Chespin is a hedgehog pinata! Adorable! : D

Back
Top Bottom