• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Which new Generation Six starter is your favourite?

Froakie. His nickname is going to be Slippy (Toad) :D If only he were green then it would all make sense.

I am IN LOVE with Fennekin!!!! My favourite Pokemon are almost always based off of canines, and I favour the fire starter, so I am one happy girl! I'm cautious with my excitement though... I am just praying to god that they don't screw it up with stupid evolutions.

So Froakie is based on Japanese thieves? That is interesting, maybe it will be the fast starter of this generation.

Froakie just gets keeps getting cooler and cooler. Water/Dark is looking more like a plausible final typing.

If we actually get a fast Water type starter for once, I'm totally choosing that.

A Water/Dark starter with high Speed stat would be the best starter ever.
That said, I am afraid it will end up being a generic Water/Ice piece of crap in its final form.

Edit: Does anyone know which is the second move Froakie uses in the video? Thief maybe?
It looks like Acrobatics honestly.

I like them all, but Fennekin is my favorite. :3 Hopefully their evolutions will be awsome.

I love Fennekin. :3 Froakie's my second favorite. xD

Chespin.... still working on that one. o.o

Hello guys, first post here.
I've been visiting this forum regularly since 2009 but I just decided to join. Couldn't help with all those amazing revelations! :banana:

I am still floored by all those amazing news; generation VI looks promising! The new starters are pretty much my favorites since Generation Two - and they are simply my favorite ones.
After a disappointment with the the set from last generation, I'm actually surprised that I like them instantly; that does not happen very often!

My favorite one is definitely Froakie; he's my favorite water starter since Totodile. But I'll be using all of them for sure. I hope it's has good stats distribution and a interesting second-type as of the final evolution. Water/Fighting wouldn't hurt!

Fennekin is just so adorable. I love it! <3
Chespin is my second favourite but I don't really like Froakie, I'm not fond of frogs in real life either...

Usually I tend to like the grass types more, but Fennekin is my favorite... so far. I'm not counting Chespin out, though. It looks like it could evolve into something awesome. So, until the evolutions come out, I'm going to lean towards Fennekin.

Froakie all the way, even if the poll says he's the minority, haha.

Why have I always picked the Water starters since Gen III?

Definitely the fire starter. This might change when I see the evolutions though.

Definitely Fennekin. After being severely disappointed by Tepig, I thought my long-time love of Fire starters was over, but Fennekin is just so darn cute. Froakie looks pretty cool too, but I'm not that fond of Chespin; it looks like a Pikachu clone in a green hat.

I always pick the water starter, being a lover of such creatures (time to start thinking up good names for frogs!), so mine is Froakie. But of the three, Fennekin probably has the coolest design (and it might be a Psychic type? Awesome!). As for Chespin, I'd like it a lot more if I actually knew what it was. Is it...a monkey? Some kind of rodent? But what about the lizard tail! Augh!

We'll just have to see what the evolutions bring us. I think we stand a good chance of getting some cool type combos this time, though! Exciting stuff.

Fennekin, I love fennecs! I saw one in a zoo and it just looked SOOOOOO cute! I hope it's Fire/Psychic in its final form.

Froakie all the way. I'm hoping its part fighting type. I love the realistic feel of the game, how it shows full 3d pokemon battling and using moves, so much than sprites.

I'll stick by Water/Fighting for Froakie, if only because of a dumb idea.

Are you guys familiar with Street Fighter, the fighting games? Within the games there are many characters with different fighting styles and martial arts. They have not one, but two boxing-related characters: Balrog (M.Bison in Japan) and Dudley. Now, Balrog in the plainest sense is a ruff-n-tumble fighter. A little bit underhanded, greedy, seedy, and all those good traits. The other boxer, Dudley, however, is what can only be described as a gentlemen boxer. He has a limo, a butler, and boxes for the sport of it -- rather than professionally (or unprofessionally) in Balrog's case.

As you all are aware, we already have a Water/Fighting type Pokemon of the amphibious nature -- Poliwrath. I'm predicting (let's be honest, I'm pulling this out of nowhere) that Froakie, once fully evolved, will be the Water/Fighting Dudley counterpart to Poliwrath's Balrog look/attitude. A gentlemen frog, if you will.

Of course, this is pure speculation, and we don't know the whole story yet with these starters, but I think that would be a pretty nifty idea. Reila brought up the idea of a Japanese thief based on the bag mixed in with the nose-bobbles. I'm going to go out on a limb and say those design choices are more related to something of a composer -- e.g. white wig, white gloves, white mustache. In the long run, it doesn't matter, but those are my thoughts. Certainly I could see a Water/Dark as much as I could see Water/Fighting.

Starters final forms?

What do you guys think the starters final forms will be?

I can personally see Fennekin becoming a wolf Pokemon or a fox easily. The style of the first evolution suggests canine-like features for me. Froakie is obviously frog-ish so possibly something like the Tympole line? Perhaps Toxicroack-ish? And for Chespin, I am able to see an otter like bear with leaf-ish decor or somethign of that nature.

Re: Starters final forms?

Chespin - Heavily armored hedgehog/plant/porcupine hybrid.
Fennekin - Elegant fire wolf.
Froakie - I'm thinking something elegant, funny, and humanoid, like Frog from Chrono Trigger.

Fennekin: Something's telling me the final form might look like Ameterasu. Fire/Psychic
Froakie: Possibly a water/fighting bipedal frog with a staff. Also has some Chinese markings over its body. Water/Fighting
Chespin: It'll probably look like Sonic or Shadow since its a hedgehog, lmao. Grass/Dark.

Honestly I'm having a lot of trouble envisioning their evolutions. The only one to confuse me like this back in Gen V was Oshawott.

Back
Top Bottom