• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Just how long till will we see the evolutions >.<

we might see the mid-evo's soon... weren't Servine and Dewott shown in a sketch for the anime? along with Woobat I think

Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

Chespin is the best for me due to the cute appearance, I easily see Ash catching one in the anime as his main regional Pokemon. Also love the hedgehog-like design and headgear. Next in line is Froakie, since it's not traditionally cute as the other Water-type but I like frogs and plus the former unique trait is a good thing. Then third is Fennekin, I'm a bit worn out on foxes since Zoroark was like one of my hype-worthy Pokemon of Gen V and of course, keeping in typical Gotpika fashion, I'm choosing not to believe the hype and follow the bandwagon. :p

Last edited:

Thinking about it some more, I almost don't want to be told what the starters will evolve into. Now that we have launch parity with Japan, not knowing what they are and finding out right along side the entire world feels far more interesting. Almost how I felt in Gen 1 (though I'm pretty sure I knew about the evos by the time I started actually playing).

Re: Gen VI Shiny Starters - Thoughts?

Chespin=Yellow on his hat (Pikachu ripoff again?)
Fennekin=Dark yellow with purple blue flames (remember Chandelure has blue purple flames?)
Froakie=dark purple

Re: Starters final forms?

I'm predicting Fennekin will just be a pure Fire type. That will go the leagues of Arcanine, Ninetales, Rapidash, Darmitan, Typhlosion, etc.

I think Fennekin would be Fire/Psychic, as he's based on Demon Fox (Kitsune). The Demon Foxes usually fire using their superpower moves (as similar to Psychic types). Nah, I don't want to see Fire/Fighting type again for starters.

I think Fennekin would be Fire/Psychic, as he's based on Demon Fox (Kitsune). The Demon Foxes usually fire using their superpower moves (as similar to Psychic types). Nah, I don't want to see Fire/Fighting type again for starters.

What? Besides being based on fennec foxes, we don't know what else Fennekin was based on yet.

Yep, I think I've gotten my complete opinion on the starters cemented.

Chespin:Best, unique design and concept, not a reptilian Grass-type, a bit of a rodent-ish look but regardless it stands on its own and has a neat look.

Froakie:Kinda ugly and stupid looking at first, but looking back somewhat cute now. Stands out from the other Water-type as being the first non-traditionally super cute one and that regard. It doesn't look closely similar to other Frog Pokemon thankfully.

Fennekin:Tired of foxes, especially when Zoroark and Zorua are mascots of Gen V and not to mention play N's signature Pokemon in the game. Also we've had quite the large advertisement of the Eevee family, we also have Vulpix and Ninetales. There is no need for another traditionally cute fox Pokemon so, meh, on Fennekin. Let alone a firefox or possible Kitsune or Psychic fox since Ninetales played that role to a tee itself. Of course I wouldn't mind the typing, it's just nothing super interesting.

I would like to see
Fennekin having ninetales-esque look to it but without all the tails
Froakie being a really bulky muscular frog maybe with that thing aorund it's neck will grow larger
Chespin as a Ferret with the points on it's hat thing extending down it's back and having much more pointy

I am curious. Why people want Froakie's evo to be bulky and muscular when we already have two bulky frogs in Pokémon (Poliwrath and Seismitoad)? Honestly, I'd rather see it evolving to a slim and fast ninja-esque frog. Every freaking Water starter evolved to something rather bulky (Except Empoleon, but only design-wise), it is even worse than the Fire/Fighting curse. That said... If it really has to evolve to a bulky frog, it must look somewhat like Gamahiro from Naruto.

Hmm...Fennekin is probably my favorite at the moment.

But I like Froakie, too.

I don't usually choose grass types, but this time I'll go with Chespin.

I don't know if it's very likely, but I'm really hoping that Chespin's final evo is Grass/Steel or Grass/Rock. Grass/Dark and some of the other suggestions are okay, but they have many weaknesses (Grass/Dark has 6 with one being 4x) while a Grass/Steel evo would only have 2 weaknesses (with one 4x) and Grass/Rock would have 4 weaknesses (all 2x). The Rock and Steel combos sound much better to me, so my fingers are crossed.

I'm definitely choosing Fennekin as of right now. It's just so cute. I hope it's evolution isn't fire/fighting though.

I agree. Froakie's line will most likely end up similar to Chimchar's family. Agile, nimble, high speed and attack. Not bulky at all.

Fire/Fighting is repetitive, but it is better than a terrible typing like Fire/Flying at least.

because they could be Faint Attack [...] Low Sweep or Rolling Kick.

That attack look more like Aerial Ace or even Night Slash than Faint Attack.

Also, are these two last moves your bets for the move Froakie used in the video?

The Dark type moves listed were my theory on what move Chespin could have been using (Beat Up was another possibility), the Psychic type moves listed were my theory on what move Fennekin could have been using and the Fighting type moves were my theory on what the move Froakie used could have been.

I prefer the idea of the evolution types being Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting, if they are dual types that involve Dark, Psychic and Fighting because it levels out the playing field a little more in the way of type advantages. If the typing was Grass/Dark, Fire/Fighting and Water/Psychic, it would mean there was effectively a double weakness, to the type strongest against it. That's not to suggest I think the developers would never do that. Just that it wouldn't make sense to me.

Night slash seemed somewhat unlikely to me as the move Chespin used, although it's a very popular a suggestion, because it's a 70 power attack and lower level Pokemon (potentially what we were shown may have been representative of moves they learn shortly before first evolving or at around that level) don't often have such high power. Night slash is also a Ghost type move and as I explained in my previous post, I was looking for Dark type moves to suggest that were potentially appropriate. I do agree that it's entirely possible that it could be Night Slash and might have been nothing to do with the typing.

Obviously, all of this is pure speculation. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject. For all we know, the Pokemon moves might have all been from random TMs they can learn, lol.

EDIT: Dark type is also strong against Ghost type (Golurk), which is also what made me think a Dark type attack could be more likely but then type advantage doesn't apply to all the other Pokemon attacks shown, aside from Froakie's sequence, if it was using Water Gun then Rolling/Low Kick. And going back to the random TM possibility, Night Slash and Aerial Ace are both current TMs, so it might be a sign they'll be in X and Y too.

Last edited:

For now I like Fennekin the most, but I'll have to see the final evolutions before I make my final decision.

I agree. Froakie's line will most likely end up similar to Chimchar's family. Agile, nimble, high speed and attack. Not bulky at all.

Indeed! Froakie is based on the frog-prince of the respective fairytale. Wigs were a must for the (French) nobility, Froakie also seems to have a sort of wig.

The nobles weren't known for their bulkiness too. They were smart, 'elegant' (with dancing) and sometimes arrogant.

So please no pitfighter, no dragon, no Chinese marks, no bulkiness, no fighting-type, no ninja and no masshairy-body (like Santa) or something. Just let him be noble-looking and thin/agile. Pure water or water/ice maybe (I personally think it will stay pure water).

Frogbutts are a French delicacy by the way, the new region also has some French-stuff, so voila! A link!

Example of the wigs that were worn by the nobility: wigs-21.jpg

Last edited:

i would love to see fennekins final form it will be soooo cute.

froakie will be a mustache water god chespin will be a bear samuri and fennekin will be a majestic thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom