• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starters final forms?

post drawings of what you think the satrters final forms will look like

So please no pitfighter, no dragon, no Chinese marks, no bulkiness, no fighting-type, no ninja and no masshairy-body (like Santa) or something. Just let him be noble-looking and thin/agile. Pure water or water/ice maybe (I personally think it will stay pure water).

Water/Ice? Nah, everything but this horribly awful typing. Why are people so against Fighting-type all of a sudden? o_O I understand not wanting Fennekin to be Fire/Fighting, but the type still is one of the bests. Water/Fighting would be a legendary typing for Froakie's evo. Not as awesome as Water/Dark, though.

Oh well, if the video is anything to go by, Froakie will probably be some sort of ninja (shinobi, more specifically) or at least a fighter, because of its pose and fastness.

i would love to see fennekins final form it will be soooo cute
Well Torchic was pretty adorable too ... before it became Blaziken. :p

Yeah, same goes to Snivy... No, wait, Serperior is as much adorable as Snivy. <3

Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

It's rare, but I really solidly like all three of them this generation. We'll see if ther evolutions hold up.

Haven't you read what I said? Froakie is based on the frog-prince, that's why he has a wig! Why would it turn into a fighter/ninja or something? That would ruin his evolution-line, his personality! Nintendo always follows some thread when it comes to designs and 'personalities'.

This isn't Spectrobes or something, where everything is heavily-armored, epic and exaggerated. Pokémon has a certain kind of realism and follows some 'rules'.

Last edited:

Haven't you read what I said? Froakie is based on the frog-prince, that's why he has a wig! Why would it turn into a fighter/ninja or something? That would ruin his evolution-line, his personality! Nintendo always follows some thread when it comes to designs and 'personalities'.

There's nothing stating that he's 100% based on the Frog prince, the 'wig' could be a bag like a thief's, a growing beard like a wizard, a cloud for a flier or a potential cape for a hero/fighter. There are many different ways to look at it, sticking to just one isn't practical at the moment until we have more information.

I'm putting my money on grass/dark, fire/psychic, and water/fighting. I don't know what to think of chespin yet. I think finnekin will stay quadruped and elegant. Something similar to ninetails but not so much tail. I think froakie will stand up on two legs and bulk up some, but not like emboar. More like infernape.

There's nothing stating that he's 100% based on the Frog prince, the 'wig' could be a bag like a thief's, a growing beard like a wizard, a cloud for a flier or a potential cape for a hero/fighter. There are many different ways to look at it, sticking to just one isn't practical at the moment until we have more information.

France or Europe is the inspiration of the new region, Froakie's design looks to me like a noble frog. The frog-prince is an European fairytale. Those things on his nose makes him look intelligent. That's why I believe that he'll be classy, but we'll see ofcourse.

I'd be nice if their evolutions looked simpler design wise (like Venusaur, Typhlosion etc.) and not very extravagant (like Infernape, Samurott etc.). Not that I don't like the more complicated designs they tend to give the starters lately, but seeing some simpler ones wouldn't be bad.

Haven't you read what I said? Froakie is based on the frog-prince, that's why he has a wig!

No, it isn't. We don't know what Froakie was based on yet.
My personal bet is that it is based on a Japanese burglar, but I can't say for sure, I don't work on Game Freak.

I think froakie will stand up on two legs and bulk up some, but not like emboar. More like infernape.
Yeaaaaah!
I'd be nice if their evolutions looked simpler design wise (like Venusaur, Typhlosion etc.) and not very extravagant (like Infernape, Samurott etc.). Not that I don't like the more complicated designs they tend to give the starters lately, but seeing some simpler ones wouldn't be bad.

There is nothing simple in Venusaur's design and nothing complicated in Infernape's. Bad examples are bad. :ksmile:
Can't say the same about Samurott's...

There is nothing simple in Venusaur's design and nothing complicated in Infernape's. Bad examples are bad. :ksmile:
Can't say the same about Samurott's...

I don't see how Infernape's design is simple. Anyway, you get the point.

I'm also thinking that Froakie will have an Infernape-like evolution.

As for Fennekin, I'm seeing a Ninetails-like design for it's evolution.

And Chespin? ....... Not sure, but I did see an interesting fanart where it had a tree-like thing growing out of his head. That could be interesting.

I don't see how Infernape's design is simple. Anyway, you get the point.

I don't see how Venusaur's design is simple either. The only Kanto starter with a somewhat simple design is Blastoise. Also, it is hard to get the point when you use Infernape as an example of a "complicated" design, because it is not. Emboar would have been a better example (and yet, its design isn't bad per se). But yeah, I get it.

I don't see how Venusaur's design is simple either. The only Kanto starter with a somewhat simple design is Blastoise. Also, it is hard to get the point when you use Infernape as an example of a "complicated" design, because it is not. Emboar would have been a better example (and yet, its design isn't bad per se). But yeah, I get it.

I think it's those golden plates that make Infernape somewhat complicated, but you're right, Emboar is even more complicated. Venusaur is a bigger Bulbasaur with a flower on its back, it seems pretty simple to me. Would Meganium make a better example maybe?

I don't know what the starter Pokemon will look like when they evolve, but I'm sure that little fox isn't going to be a Fighting-type anytime, and that is enough for me to be happy.

I think it's those golden plates that make Infernape somewhat complicated, but you're right, Emboar is even more complicated. Venusaur is a bigger Bulbasaur with a flower on its back, it seems pretty simple to me. Would Meganium make a better example maybe?

But those plates ties well with what Infernape was based on. I think its design would look weird without them. Venusaur... well, it is a giant frog-like dinosaur with a big tree and leaves on its back and with some weird thing popping out of its skin. The design isn't bad, but isn't simple either. And sure, Meganium is a perfect example, as were Typhlosion.

Anyways, I found some fake evolutions on tumblr and I loved Froakie's.
It is not exactly what I had on my mind, but it is better than another Poliwrath/Seismitoad:

tumblr_mgj0n52MtU1s2jcmho1_500.png

Chespin's fake evos look awful. xD

Anyways, I found some fake evolutions on tumblr and I loved Froakie's.
It is not exactly what I had on my mind, but it is better than another Poliwrath/Seismitoad:

tumblr_mgj0n52MtU1s2jcmho1_500.png

Chespin's fake evos look awful. xD

That's the best Froakie evo I've seen so far. Fennekin's could be (much) better. Chespin's...just no.

That's the best Froakie evo I've seen so far. Fennekin's could be (much) better. Chespin's...just no.

I agree. What about this one? I personally loved it.
Froakie's aren't that bad, but I still prefer the other I previously posted.

Chespin's are as terrible as the previous one.

tumblr_mgizowUe4H1qcqjsdo2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom