• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starters final forms?

Am I the only one who thinks the Chespin evo's arr badass?

I agree. What about this one? I personally loved it.
Froakie's aren't that bad, but I still prefer the other I previously posted.

Chespin's are as terrible as the previous one.

tumblr_mgizowUe4H1qcqjsdo2_1280.jpg

Not bad, I wouldn't mind it if the real ones looked like that actually.
About Chespin, I guess people have a hard time visualizing its evolutions?? lol

Those are the best Fennekin evolutions I've seen so far! I hope they end up looking something like that. However, the Chespin final evolution is a little hard to see, since it's all the way in the back in this picture, lol.

Anyways, I found some fake evolutions on tumblr and I loved Froakie's.
It is not exactly what I had on my mind, but it is better than another Poliwrath/Seismitoad:

tumblr_mgj0n52MtU1s2jcmho1_500.png

Chespin's fake evos look awful. xD

That's the best Froakie evo I've seen so far. Fennekin's could be (much) better. Chespin's...just no.
Definitely do not like Froakie's at all. Doesn't even look like Froakie or a Pokemon at all.

Doesn't even look like Froakie

True, exactly like Empoleon doesn't look like Piplup, Blaziken doesn't look like Torchic, Torterra doesn't look like Turtwig and Samurott doesn't look like Oshawott.

or a Pokemon at all.

Yes, it does look like a Pokémon, even more than some legit ones. lol

Doesn't even look like Froakie

True, exactly like Empoleon doesn't look like Piplup, Blaziken doesn't look like Torchic, Torterra doesn't look like Turtwig and Samurott doesn't look like Oshawott.

or a Pokemon at all.

Yes, it does look like a Pokémon, even more than some legit ones. lol

I personally see Froakie to evolve into something more like Infernape. I don't mean to offend in way if I did. I'm really interested to see Chespin's evo mainly because I have to start with him/her.

Re: Gen VI Shiny Starters - Thoughts?

Based on previous starters, grass ones seems to usually get a blue tint, fire ones yellow, and water green.

In general though, I see grass types get red or lighter greens, fire types pink or yellow, and water types purple, so I'll do 2 guesses each.

Chespin
chespin2.png

chespin1.png
Fennekin
fennekin2.png

fennekin1.png
Froakie
froakie1.png

froakie2.png

Chespin: Blue
Fennekin: Maybe similar to Victini's
Froakie: Green maybe or purple

I unfortunately have a feeling one of them will get the short end of the stick and acquire one of these ugly green colors that they seem to love to give to Pokemon so often.

I have nothing against green, but man, there are so many shiny Pokemon out there who look seasick or get a very unnatural bright green color and I just feel so sorry for them..

About that, do you like Shiny Bronzor? I get what you're saying, but for some reason Shiny Bronzor and Bronzong feel "Right" with their Green Shiny coloring.

Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

Chespin, because I'm a nut for rodents. For Fennekin, that's because I'm know of "Nine-tailed Fox" belief. Froakie reminds me of Keroro, which is also based off a frog. So all of them.

Here's what I think a Shiny Fennekin will look like:
14ec83k.png

I took some inspiration from Youkomon.

Chespin, definitely Chespin. He reminds me so much of Oshawott (my all-time favourite pokey) so it may well be Chespin will achieve second-favourite status in my books.

I personally see Froakie to evolve into something more like Infernape. I don't mean to offend in way if I did.
You didn't offend at all. :) My point was that some starters don't look like their basic forms when they are fully evolved.
But yeah, I expect something like Infernape too, but instead of based on Son Wukong/Muay Thai it would be more Jiraiya/ninja-esque.

Anyway, I was watching the trailer for the 100th time and I noticed that the move Chespin used (which everyone assumes to be a Dark-type move or Aerial Ace) may actually be Shadow Claw. So... Grass/Ghost? That would be more interesting than Grass/Dark, because Chespin's evo wouldn't have tons of weaknesses. I think.

Unfortunately I can very easily see all of them getting a change of only a few shades as has been the trend for the last few generations.

What I'd like to see:
Chespin: Maybe a lighter yellow or orange
Fennekin: Either a light pink or a dark brown
Froakie: Green or hot pink (similar to Mudkip's shiny color)

I really like all the starters, but Chespin has a certain charm that the others don't.. I'll still give my vote to Froakie though, I love cute derps :3

I don't see how Venusaur's design is simple either. The only Kanto starter with a somewhat simple design is Blastoise. Also, it is hard to get the point when you use Infernape as an example of a "complicated" design, because it is not. Emboar would have been a better example (and yet, its design isn't bad per se). But yeah, I get it.

I think it's those golden plates that make Infernape somewhat complicated, but you're right, Emboar is even more complicated. Venusaur is a bigger Bulbasaur with a flower on its back, it seems pretty simple to me. Would Meganium make a better example maybe?

But those plates ties well with what Infernape was based on. I think its design would look weird without them. Venusaur... well, it is a giant frog-like dinosaur with a big tree and leaves on its back and with some weird thing popping out of its skin. The design isn't bad, but isn't simple either. And sure, Meganium is a perfect example, as were Typhlosion.

Anyways, I found some fake evolutions on tumblr and I loved Froakie's.
It is not exactly what I had on my mind, but it is better than another Poliwrath/Seismitoad:

tumblr_mgj0n52MtU1s2jcmho1_500.png

Chespin's fake evos look awful. xD
Chespin already looks awful.

I just pray to God that the little fire one isn't a fighting type.

I'm actually kinda baffled, these starters didn't get nearly as much hate as Unova starters initially did.

I dunno, is my memory failing me? Or am I right?

tumblr_mgiqmg0jod1rnitqdo1_1280.png

Anyone have a clue if this is from Nintendo Direct?

"Bubbly blue frog with melee skills."
"Firefox with latent Psychic powers."
"Chespin, he'll be able to learn Pin Missile attack."

^ What is weird on this picture is the she/he instead of it when referencing the starters.

I'm actually kinda baffled, these starters didn't get nearly as much hate as Unova starters initially did.

I dunno, is my memory failing me? Or am I right?

You are right. The only Unova starter who didn't get much hate was Snivy.

[Anyone have a clue if this is from Nintendo Direct?

"Bubbly blue frog with melee skills."
"Firefox with latent Psychic powers."
"Chespin, he'll be able to learn Pin Missile attack."

Those all seem to be just from observations seen in the trailer rather than actual new information.

Back
Top Bottom