• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

tumblr_mgiqmg0jod1rnitqdo1_1280.png

Anyone have a clue if this is from Nintendo Direct?

"Bubbly blue frog with melee skills."
"Firefox with latent Psychic powers."
"Chespin, he'll be able to learn Pin Missile attack."

Yeah. Like jda95 said these are probably just observations from the writer of the article. What else could he write though other than "it's a hedgehog", "it's a fox", and "it's a frog".

Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

Froakie or Chespin for the win. I hate fennikin, dont know why.

Re: Gen VI Shiny Starters - Thoughts?

I unfortunately have a feeling one of them will get the short end of the stick and acquire one of these ugly green colors that they seem to love to give to Pokemon so often.

I have nothing against green, but man, there are so many shiny Pokemon out there who look seasick or get a very unnatural bright green color and I just feel so sorry for them..

About that, do you like Shiny Bronzor? I get what you're saying, but for some reason Shiny Bronzor and Bronzong feel "Right" with their Green Shiny coloring.

Bronzor and Bronzong aren't "organic" like many other Pokemon, they're more "inanimate" (all Pokemon a living of course, but you get it), so green works better for them (and it's actually a very good shade of green, too.). If they gave them a bright lime green or something though I would've had a different opinion.

Like, Onix may be "inanimate" (it's a bunch of rocks in the shape of a snake), but the green they gave him is horrendous (if they were going for gold they surely failed. Steelix is more gold so I have no idea what they had in mind here), so it doesn't always work better for in-organic Pokemon, haha.

I have no idea why they have such trouble making shiny Pokemon look natural when they look natural in their regular colors. It can't be that hard in creating an alternate coloration that looks good and convincing, too.

Last edited:
Re: Starters final forms?

I don't think they'll get second types at all, certainly not in their first stage.

I think Froakie will go the pink route like basically every blue Water-type that there is (Spheal, Wailmer, Mudkip, etc). I can't see Chespin or Fennekin looking much different in their Shiny coloration, unfortunately.

These fake evolutions look more like what I expect Froakie to evolve to. The final stage is slim and have this samurai feeling (well I expect it to be a ninja, but samurai are awesome as well), I think it would definitely be Water/Fighting. The only weird thing is the long tail, I mean, frogs don't have tails and it kinda make the design overcomplicated.

tumblr_mgkdnaiMpo1s2jd6wo1_500.png

I am not sure if I can keep posting fake evolutions here... If it breaks any rule, sorry.

^^^ They look more like Water/Ice than Water/Fighting to me.

I think fakelutions are perfect for this thread. ^‿^

Hmm, I am not seeing any Ice-type references in its design. Besides the colors, but that doesn't mean much.

The body shape and the samurai/shogun references are very Fighting-type-ish imo... But then again, I could say the same about Samurott.

Their coloration and those crystal-like gloves and formations on them made me think they're Ice types...until I read your post.
I was really annoyed when I found out Emboar is a Fighting-type while Samurott isn't. >:|
I think they kinda failed on that.

Fennekin looks like it'd stay a pure fire type.
Froakie...not sure. It could stay single typed, but it kinda gives me a dark type vibe. Maybe ice too.
Chespin looks like it could be fighting or ground type.

Their coloration and those crystal-like gloves and formations on them made me think they're Ice types...until I read your post.
I was really annoyed when I found out Emboar is a Fighting-type while Samurott isn't. >:|
I think they kinda failed on that.

Uh, I guess you are right, it does look like an Ice Pokémon. I could swear the crystal-like things were razors ._.
But yeah, Emboar could have been Fire/Ground or Fire/Dark while Samurott should have been Water/Fighting.

Although Emboar being a Fighting-type Pokémon makes sense considering its origin.

Froakie...not sure. It could stay single typed, but it kinda gives me a dark type vibe. Maybe ice too.

Yeah, same here. I am not sure what on its design gives me the said vibe, though.

Hmm, I am not seeing any Ice-type references in its design. Besides the colors, but that doesn't mean much.

The body shape and the samurai/shogun references are very Fighting-type-ish imo... But then again, I could say the same about Samurott.

Yeah, that armour is absolutely suppose to be a bunch of ice crystals. The colours used reinforce this, save the yellow.

Anyway, has anyone yet mentioned that Froakie's design likely has a lot to do with Foam-nest Tree Frogs (in terms of the whole foam thing, not the colouration) like the ones seen here:
1339305.jpg

If its design were to simply stick with the idea of its foam getting larger, á la something like this, I'd be down:

froakie_speculative_evolution_by_kezrek-d5qxbzq.jpg

Little on the basic side, but in a refreshing sort of way, you know?

Also, besides the pose Froakie goes into to spray the Water Gun/Scald/Hydro Pump-looking attack, which is really just sort of a neat looking stance to take for an attack like that, and the vanishing physical attack it makes on the Patrat, I really see no reason to speculate that its evolutions will have anything to do with ninjas.
froakiebattle.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, same here. I am not sure what on its design gives me the said vibe, though.
For me, it's the foamy hood thing on it's back that looks kinda like a bag, and it looks likes it's wearing gloves too. It's kinda vague, but yeah.

Also, besides the pose Froakie goes into to spray the Water Gun/Scald/Hydro Pump-looking attack, which is really just sort of a neat looking stance to take for an attack like that, I really see no reason to speculate that its evolutions will have anything to do with ninjas.
froakiebattle.jpg

Well, the pose and the fast move it uses are the only reasons we have to speculate a ninja basis for Froakie's family.
Anyway, I didn't know the existence of these Foam-nest tree frogs and now that you mention it really seems that Froakie was, at least partially, based on them.

For me, it's the foamy hood thing on it's back that looks kinda like a bag, and it looks likes it's wearing gloves too. It's kinda vague, but yeah.

I think something on its eyes in this picture brings a Dark-type vibe to me. They are totally different but its eyes reminds of Honchkrow's for some reason.

froakiebattle.jpg

Also, there is a theory of Froakie being based on a dorobou (Japanese burglar) and if that is the case, the Dark-type would fit Froakie's evos perfectly.

dorobou-090219.jpg

I personally love this idea :ksmile: Dark is my favorite type.

I always choose the water-type but if Fennekin evolves into a Fire-Psychic Pokemon then I may have to break my own tradition.

I think Chespin's probably going to turn out as a large hedgehog looking thing with leaves instead of spines, which I am totally okay with, but I'd really like it to be some kind of grass bear.

Fennekin is something they have to be careful with, because of Ninetales. I reckon they might make it's evolutions bipedal. I kinda hope they piss off all the people who are desperate for it to be their new pokesona by not making it sleek, mysterious and agile.

I agree with CynthiaLover's assessment of Froakie, I'm feeling a Water/Fighting type for it.

As fun as it is to speculate, I bet we're all going to be totally wrong. :p

I think Chespin's probably going to turn out as a large hedgehog looking thing with leaves instead of spines, which I am totally okay with, but I'd really like it to be some kind of grass bear.

Fennekin is something they have to be careful with, because of Ninetales. I reckon they might make it's evolutions bipedal. I kinda hope they piss off all the people who are desperate for it to be their new pokesona by not making it sleek, mysterious and agile.

I agree with CynthiaLover's assessment of Froakie, I'm feeling a Water/Fighting type for it.

As fun as it is to speculate, I bet we're all going to be totally wrong. :p
I agree. The only evolution I can picture is Fennekin's, as for Chespin and Froakie I am at a loss. I will just wait until October.

I unfortunately have a feeling one of them will get the short end of the stick and acquire one of these ugly green colors that they seem to love to give to Pokemon so often.

I have nothing against green, but man, there are so many shiny Pokemon out there who look seasick or get a very unnatural bright green color and I just feel so sorry for them..

About that, do you like Shiny Bronzor? I get what you're saying, but for some reason Shiny Bronzor and Bronzong feel "Right" with their Green Shiny coloring.

Bronzor and Bronzong aren't "organic" like many other Pokemon, they're more "inanimate" (all Pokemon a living of course, but you get it), so green works better for them (and it's actually a very good shade of green, too.). If they gave them a bright lime green or something though I would've had a different opinion.

Like, Onix may be "inanimate" (it's a bunch of rocks in the shape of a snake), but the green they gave him is horrendous (if they were going for gold they surely failed. Steelix is more gold so I have no idea what they had in mind here), so it doesn't always work better for in-organic Pokemon, haha.

I have no idea why they have such trouble making shiny Pokemon look natural when they look natural in their regular colors. It can't be that hard in creating an alternate coloration that looks good and convincing, too.

Agreed.

In fact, I loved Shiny Bronzor and Bronzong so much, I chained Bronzor to 40. No kidding, it took forever, but it was worth it when I made out like a bandit with my 3 Shiny Bronzor.

Yeah, Onix looks like it ate a bad burrito or something, although, Steelix is easily one of my favorite shinies.

The only Pokemon I like with that Ugly Green Color is Dragonite. Although, compared to it's pre-evos Shiny colorations, it looks like crap.

Agreed.

In fact, I loved Shiny Bronzor and Bronzong so much, I chained Bronzor to 40. No kidding, it took forever, but it was worth it when I made out like a bandit with my 3 Shiny Bronzor.

Yeah, Onix looks like it ate a bad burrito or something, although, Steelix is easily one of my favorite shinies.

The only Pokemon I like with that Ugly Green Color is Dragonite. Although, compared to it's pre-evos Shiny colorations, it looks like crap.

Shiny Dragonite makes me think cartoon or children's books dragons that are often depicted in a shade of green. I think they went with a Puff the Magic Dragon look though, but imo it doesn't fit a Dragonite.

I think a bright, warm yellow color could've worked (Shiny Magikarp-like), or perhaps a shade of blue to reference its pre-evos?

i see Fennekin having Black/dark gray fur in the ears and the tip of its tail, reminiscent of smoke.

Back
Top Bottom