• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starters final forms?

I am hoping Fennekins final form won't be Fire/Fighting... really, really hoping. As for Gen V, I only liked Serperior design wise, I feel Emboar is just a chubby Infernape with crappy Defenses...

I liked all the designs for the final forms of the Gen V starters, but Samurott needed to be Water/Fighting, Emboar should have been Fire/Dark, and Serperior probably should have had a second type too. Honestly stick a gem on its head and it could be grass/ Psychic.

And that SumoFroakie evo is tge awesomest thing I have ever seen.

I personally would have been fine with Grass/Dragon, but I know a lot of people would have objected to it being overpowered.

Personally I think a Water/Ice, Grass/Dragon, and Fire/Steel would make an interesting triplet for starters. Both the Water and the Fire starter become super effective over the Grass one, but the Grass one is an "uber" typing.

Of course though nobody would ever choose the Water/Ice starter, though.

I agree, but they would have to change Emboar's basis, because "Dark" doesn't fit the character of "Journey to the West" it was based on.
Serperior should have been Grass/Dragon or even Grass/Psychic.

Dark could've worked as well IIRC since Zhu Bajie did have some less then noble tendencies and was banished from heaven.

Can we not get too distracted with the Gen V starters. This thread isn't about them or what types they should have been. Focus on the Gen VI starters please.

Dark could've worked as well IIRC since Zhu Bajie did have some less then noble tendencies and was banished from heaven.

Is that so? I didn't really read Journey to the West.

I was liking the references to the characters of the said novel. Do you think Froakie could possibly have some relation to Sha Wujing
Its final evolution being something kappa-like would be very cool.

Is that so? I didn't really read Journey to the West.

I was liking the references to the characters of the said novel. Do you think Froakie could possibly have some relation to Sha Wujing
Its final evolution being something kappa-like would be very cool.

It's definitely possible, I'm personally hoping for that so that we can get the complete main fighters of the group.

Lol, as an Animorph's fan that's actually pretty fitting.

....I am never going to be able to look at Chespin the same ever again.

On the topic of Froakie, I actually like the theory that its final evolution could be based on a character from Journey to the West, or Sha Wujing specifically. I was actually wondering myself sometime ago if we would get another such Pokemon to essentially complete the cast. Well I guess there's Xuanzang too, but that might be harder.

Well, Xerneas does remind me of an Andalite...

I'm definitely on the bandwagon for Fennekin not being a fighting type. I'd actually prefer it stay pure fire, though I'd be fine with the other two taking secondary types. I don't really care for the fact that they've drawn inspiration for two starters from one literary source now, so I'd rather they stay away from Journey to the West for this Gen.

I won't lie, if Fennekin does somehow end up being Fire/Fighting type, I'll be the one dying of laughter out of the sheer irony of it all as Fennekin's extreme popularity drops in mere seconds simply because of a dual typing that has been around for three generations in a row. But I have to agree, I am also getting tired of the typing by now, as much as I love Infernape and to an extant, Emboar.

But in all seriousness, I don't really think Fennekin will be Fire/Fighting. A lot of fans are theorizing that it will be Fire/Psychic. Of course that's just going to make people complain that "Oh great, it's even more similar to Victini now."

Last edited:

I would applaud Game Freak if they made the final stages of all starters pure-typed as well.

I won't lie, if Fennekin does somehow end up being Fire/Fighting type, I'll be the one dying of laughter out of the sheer irony of it all as Fennekin's extreme popular drops in mere seconds simply because of a dual typing that has been around for three generations in a row. But I have to agree, I am also getting tired of the typing by now, as much as I love Infernape and to an extant, Emboar.

But in all seriousness, I don't really think Fennekin will be Fire/Fighting. A lot of fans are theorizing that it will be Fire/Psychic. Of course that's just going to make people complain that "Oh great, it's even more similar to Victini now."

There are only 2 Fire/Psychic types (and Grass/Dark Water/Fighting interestingly enough) doubt people would care it's certainly better than Fire/Fighting... 3/6 is enougg

According to an update on Serebii, the first stage starters are all confirmed to be pure Grass, Water, and Fire. Nothing to shocking there, since the types can obviously change when they evolve. I pretty much expected them to be pure types at first.

I won't lie, if Fennekin does somehow end up being Fire/Fighting type, I'll be the one dying of laughter out of the sheer irony of it all as Fennekin's extreme popular drops in mere seconds simply because of a dual typing that has been around for three generations in a row. But I have to agree, I am also getting tired of the typing by now, as much as I love Infernape and to an extant, Emboar.

There are only 2 Fire/Psychic types (and Grass/Dark Water/Fighting interestingly enough) doubt people would care it's certainly better than Fire/Fighting... 3/6 is enougg

That's only if you count Darmanitan's Zen Mode, and that forme is only possible with its Hidden Ability. A regular Darmanitan is always Fire/Fighting. So in that sense, the only true Fire/Psychic type we have now is Victini.

That's only if you count Darmanitan's Zen Mode, and that forme is only possible with its Hidden Ability. A regular Darmanitan is always Fire/Fighting. So in that sense, the only true Fire/Psychic type we have now is Victini.
*Fire, not Fire/Fighting, but I guess it's not that important as it has nothing to do with the point you were making.

According to an update on Serebii, the first stage starters are all confirmed to be pure Grass, Water, and Fire. Nothing to shocking there, since the types can obviously change when they evolve. I pretty much expected them to be pure types at first.

Actually, every single starter but Bulbasaur has been pure-typed in its first stage.

*Fire, not Fire/Fighting, but I guess it's not that important as it has nothing to do with the point you were making.

I'm saying Fire/Psychic is better than Fire/Fighting... it hasn't been used as a starter... Darmantin-Z does count as does Rotom's forme's... I do say Grass/Dark Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting...

I was right about the worldwide release thing (and it was a random guess) can't waiit to see the new pokemon.. if Ash does get one of them they flippen evolve! seriously he still has Oshawott and Snivy!

I'm saying Fire/Psychic is better than Fire/Fighting... it hasn't been used as a starter... Darmantin-Z does count as does Rotom's forme's... I do say Grass/Dark Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting...

Fire/Psychic could be a good idea as Psychic attacks are Super-effective against Fighting-types. However, Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Dark could make sense, as Grass<Fire<Water, and Fighting<Psychic<Dark.

Chespin: No idea, but it will be the coolest.
Fennekin: Bipedal and elegant.
Froakie: Fat frog king with a sweet mustache.

Type wise i think they will keep their monotyping.

Back
Top Bottom