• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starters final forms?

CyndaQUIL, Cyndaquil was mostly based on a porcupine, a creature that isn't in the Chinese Zodiac.

Well, Porcupines are in the rodent order. :p

So was the whole "Fire starters are based on the Chinese Zodiac" theory proven false this time? There's no fox sign in the Chinese Zodiac. Unless Fennekin evolves into a tiger or dog which I doubt.

I don't buy this theory, but it wasn't necessarily proven false.
Fennekin can work as the dog as Cyndaquil works as the rat, even though neither of them are really based on those animals.

Let's see:

Charmander - Dragon, but it is actually a salamander/lizard.
Cyndaquil - Rat, but it is actually an echidna.
Torchic - Rooster.
Chimchar - Monkey.
Tepig - Pig/Boar.
Fennekin - Dog, but it is actually a fennec fox.

We'll see in three or four years in they are really using the Chinese Zodiac as basis for the Fire starters. We still have the rabbit, snake, ox, tiger, horse and goat.
Man... A Fire-type Goat is definitely something I would like to see.

True...

Nonononono! If they were doing a Chinese Zodiac than they would have been much clearer with designs. It's too farfetch'ed. Get real people and don't always nickpick theories, it's also Chinese and Pokemon is Japanese, it would have been much more plausible if it was Japanese (not saying that they don't use stuff of other cultures, mind you). It's almost like saying that Chespin will become a reptile in time, or something.

(Regarding Chespin: Oh wait, mammals have an ancestor in the reptiles! I see the link now! See? The grass-starters are still more or less based on reptiles! *sarcasm off*)

How would it being Japanese make it more plausible? You yourself said they already use different cultures so why would it being Chinese make it less so?

And assuming you're talking about the Dimetrodon, it isn't even closely related to reptiles.

Synapsid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This stuff. But, yeah, they aren't really reptiles:/

I still think the Chinese Zodiac-theory isn't plausible and I think it's already busted *looks at Cyndaquil and Fennekin*.

Even though some of the animals that are within the synapsid group are reptilian, they technically aren't actually reptiles since they exist outside that group. We do share an ancestor with reptiles but that's the extent of our relation and since it's so far back in our history it's a pretty weak connection.

I do think the ship has sailed on the theory and it does take some broad thinking if you are to incorporate Fennekin and Cyndaquil, but like every theory there's still a small realm of possiblity there. It's definitely not the strongest theory out there but at least it gives people something to play around with.

Last edited:
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

Froakie or Chespin for the win. I hate fennikin, dont know why.

Probably due to its overexposure. I know your feeling, out of the three new starters, Fennekin is definitely my least favorite.

That and the whole fire fox idea is way overdone.

I wouldn't say overdone... the only other Fire Fox is the Vulpix line... and there's roughly a 15 year gap between them...

I like all of them, but I have a hard time seeing the appeal of Chespin. I'll ultimately end up picking Froakie(water starter will always be picked), but Fennekin was my initial favorite.

CyndaQUIL, Cyndaquil was mostly based on a porcupine, a creature that isn't in the Chinese Zodiac.

So was the whole "Fire starters are based on the Chinese Zodiac" theory proven false this time? There's no fox sign in the Chinese Zodiac. Unless Fennekin evolves into a tiger or dog which I doubt.

Fennekin can work as the dog as Cyndaquil works as the rat, even though neither of them are really based on those animals.

Let's see:

Torchic - Rooster.
Chimchar - Monkey.
Tepig - Pig/Boar.

We'll see in three or four years in they are really using the Chinese Zodiac as basis for the Fire starters. We still have the rabbit, snake, ox, tiger, horse and goat.

True...

Nonononono! If they were doing a Chinese Zodiac than they would have been much clearer with designs. It's too farfetch'ed. Get real people and don't always nickpick theories, it's also Chinese and Pokemon is Japanese, it would have been much more plausible if it was Japanese (not saying that they don't use stuff of other cultures, mind you). It's almost like saying that Chespin will become a reptile in time, or something.

(Regarding Chespin: Oh wait, mammals have an ancestor in the reptiles! I see the link now! See? The grass-starters are still more or less based on reptiles! *sarcasm off*)

How would it being Japanese make it more plausible? You yourself said they already use different cultures so why would it being Chinese make it less so?

And assuming you're talking about the Dimetrodon, it isn't even closely related to reptiles.

Synapsid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This stuff. But, yeah, they aren't really reptiles:/

I still think the Chinese Zodiac-theory isn't plausible and I think it's already busted *looks at Cyndaquil and Fennekin*.

Even though some of the animals that are within the synapsid group are reptilian, they technically aren't actually reptiles since they exist outside that group. We do share an ancestor with reptiles but that's the extent of our relation and since it's so far back in our history it's a pretty weak connection.

I do think the ship has sailed on the theory and it does take some broad thinking if you are to incorporate Fennekin and Cyndaquil, but like every theory there's still a small realm of possiblity there. It's definitely not the strongest theory out there but at least it gives people something to play around with.

Yeah, the synapsid-thing always confuses me a bit... But at least we agree with eachother.;)

I like all of them, but I have a hard time seeing the appeal of Chespin. I'll ultimately end up picking Froakie(water starter will always be picked), but Fennekin was my initial favorite.

I wouldn't change a single letter of this statement. My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't say overdone... the only other Fire Fox is the Vulpix line... and there's roughly a 15 year gap between them...

I think he meant overdone in general, not only in Pokémon. You can see a fire fox in a lot of games and anime.

its a culture thing I think... fox's in japan are often affiliated with Fire... (I still think Ninetales should've gotten Illusion)

I think he meant overdone in general, not only in Pokémon. You can see a fire fox in a lot of games and anime.

its a culture thing I think... fox's in japan are often affiliated with Fire... (I still think Ninetales should've gotten Illusion)

Or (with Ninetales' Pokedex entries hinting at Psychic traces in its trivia) the Vulpix line should have been partially Psychic. Perhaps we will see this with Fennekin's line.

Let's see:

Torchic - Rooster.
Chimchar - Monkey.
Tepig - Pig/Boar.

True...

Foxes are in the same Family as dogs Canidae, also male foxes are known as "dogs". You would know that if you studied biology.

Or (with Ninetales' Pokedex entries hinting at Psychic traces in its trivia) the Vulpix line should have been partially Psychic. Perhaps we will see this with Fennekin's line.

When I was little I thought Vulpix and Ninetales (as well as Psyduck and Golduck) were part Psychic because of the anime. I still think they should be given that type, I mean, it wouldn't be the first time they change a Pokemon's type.

Fenneken did use a psychic attack so... I do see him being Fire/Psychic...

maybe we should stop talking aboout Ninetales >-<;

but if it is Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting I (sorta) called it!

The way I see it;

Fennekin - Fire/Psychic (Or Pure Fire)
Chespin - Grass/Dark (Or Grass/Steel)
Froakie - Water/Fighting (Or Water/Ice)

If Fennekin ends up being part Psychic-type . . . does that mean we're stuck with Fire/Psychic starters till Generation IX? *shivers*

I would much prefer that to three Fire/Fighting but I doubt they would make that same pattern.

Am I the only one who thinks that the move Fennekin used was not necessarily a psychic move, but a stat altering one with a pink animation to represent that? They've used similar animations in the past when stats have changed, so I'm not completely positive it was a psychic attack.

Am I the only one who thinks that the move Fennekin used was not necessarily a psychic move, but a stat altering one with a pink animation to represent that? They've used similar animations in the past when stats have changed, so I'm not completely positive it was a psychic attack.

No, I agree. It could have been a Psychic type attack, but it's not really confirmed. I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

I hope their evolutions are good, the only reason I never chose Tepig was because I didn't like it's evolutions...

Certainly looked Psychic... I doubt it was a stat move since it seemed to damage Kirlia... it honestly looked almost like Psybeam

I hope the Fennekin line stays the heck away from the kitsune concept. Between Vulpix/Ninetales and Zorua/Zoroark, I think that's been covered.

Here's something interesting:
Even though Torchic, Chimchar and Tepig evolve into Fighting-type Pokemon, they learn absolutely no fighting-type moves via leveling up. In fact they learn moves like Peck (Torchic) and Smog (Tepig) at relatively low levels without evolving into Flying or Poison types. So the moves Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie used in the trailer may have nothing to do with the types of their evolutions.

Back
Top Bottom