• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

Um, like, lol, my favorite is Fennekin because it appeals to me the most out of these three. At first I liked Chespin best because it looked like Emolga, but my mind quickly changed and leaned towards Fennekin. Since then I've loved it, it's cute and reminds me of Vulpix. <3

Chespin, Depending on his Evolution and nature, he might be my new favorite Grass starter (Replacing Sceptile).
I mean look at that cute smile! It's evolutions should be Badass or I'm sticking with Sceptile here.

Chespin is the first starter I'm considering choosing over the fire type. I've chosen the fire type starter in every generation, but I really don't care much for how Fennekin looks. Unless Fennekin gets a lot cooler in its later stages or there are barely any good fire types in the game I'm probably just get the grass one this time.

I definitely love froakie right now with fennekin being a close second but who knows what my top choice will be by the time we get to see the evolutions which at this point I'm really thinking that GF is keeping the wraps on us seeing anything too in depth till the day the game releases. As much as I loved the japanese spoilers we would get with past games I am loving the fact that the whole world is just as thirsty for reveals this time around. It really adds to the anticipation for October to roll around!

If this new Type rumor is true I could see Fennekin getting 2ndary Fairy/Mystical type

In every gen my starter will always be fire. fennekin will be my 6 gen starter.

I always go by looks, and that has been fire starter in I, Grass in II & III, water in IV, and general disappointment in V (couldn't really love any of them, actually traded my Tepig away for a lv. 1 Absol after the first gym).

None of them, however, can compare to my early impressions of Fennekin. Only Chikorita and Piplup are on the same level for me as far as unevolved forms, and I have a great feeling that this fiery little fox-dog will be the first one that stays truly awesome for me from unevolved all the way to fully evolved.

I tend to go by aesthetics myself. A side effect of which is that I've always ended up picking whichever starter has the highest Speed (Charmander, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Chimchar, Snivy). Curious, no?

Fennekin. It took the Gen IV starters a while to grow on me and I still don't like the Gen V starters much, so for Fennekin to strike me straight away was a relief. :D I'm almost certain that this will be my choice, even without seeing it's evolutions. I'm hoping that it will evolve into something elegant looking that stands on all fours - as the fire starters to date always seem to rise onto two legs by the final evolution. I'll be happy if it's a pure fire type; however, as far as dual-typing is concerned, I'll be satisfied as long as it isn't fire/fighting. I didn't like this combination back in Gen III -- I didn't evolve my Torchic in Ruby for this very reason... although, if I'm honest, I didn't evolve my Mudkip in Sapphire either -- and I still don't like it now. If it has a second type then I'd love for Fennekin to be fire/dark but I don't know how likely that is. Fire/psychic seems more likely based on the preview - which I'm not keen on but, hey, as long as it's not fire/fighting I'll be happy. As a general rule I don't like the fighting/ground/rock types there are, of course, exceptions - e.g. my current team in SS includes a Primeape. But Pokémon aren't crafted according to my specifications so I'm just happy that there is one that pleases me aesthetically this time around. Yeah, I'm one of those casual gamers who only likes cute Pokémon. :p

Chespin looks a little odd to me. It reminded me of Buizel at first, but I can't say why exactly - that's just immediately what I thought of looking at it's design. I think it is one that could grow on me over time - I'm quite interested in seeing it's evolutions. As for a secondary type... I've no idea whatsoever. Grass/fighting or grass/dark looks likely to me based on it's appearance, but as I said above I'm a casual gamer so I'm not going to look into how that would effect stats or type effectiveness or whatnot. I don't see it being a pure grass-type though.

Froakie... I don't like it. I just don't. The only frog-inspired Pokémon I've liked to date is Poliwhirl - not even Poliwag or Poliwrath or Politoed, just Poliwhirl. The water starters have appealed to me most from Gens III, IV and V, so it's nothing to do with type. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm honestly in love with Froakie. It's very detailed for a starter--not simple-looking in the least. The other two would have two be magnificent and Froakie absolutely horrible in their final forms for my impressions on them to change, which I really hope don't, since I'll be using Froakie regardless. I'm rather hoping it remains mostly quadrupedal (none of the other frogs did) and winds up either Water/Fighting or Water/Electric (which works if you subscribe to the theory its based on Ben Franklin [I don't, but I can see where the thought comes from, so if that's the case it's nothing lost]).

I wonder if it's been mentioned yet, but somebody on deviantART speculated this type arrangement for the X and Y starters:
Fennekin's evo -> Fire/Psychic
Froakie's evo -> Water/Fighting
Chespin's evo -> Grass/Dark

Which could be totally interesting because then you not only have the traditional Grass/Fire/Water triangle but the Psychic/Fighting/Dark triangle in the opposite direction.

As for me, my hopes for the new starters are simply:
- Fennekin stays on all fours.
- All starters retain single typing through evolution (like we had in Johto).
- Fennekin retains pure Fire-type, or at least doesn't become another Fire+Fighting. (If it turns out to be Fire+Psychic then I won't be complaining.)

This would ruin the "rock-paper-scissors" part of Pokemon. If all the starters are evenly matched, rival battles would be easier. DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE ALL RIVALS ARE A SLIGHTLY BETTER BIANCA?!

Remember Infernape and Torterra?

People have been speculating that second triangle pretty much since the day that trailer was released where it looked like Fennekin was using confusion and Chespin some dark attack.

By the time the starters are at their final form, does it really matter that there's a reverse triangle? I actually think it's a cool idea. I doubt most people fight their rival's starter with their own just for the sake of posterity because of the type advantage. Evening out the triangle by the end would make it a lot more likely people would actually do that, and the victor could be based on your or your rival's talent with your starter, not just a one sided type advantage.

If the rumors are true, then you bet I'm going with Chespin. I would LOVE Dark type starter, not to mention the fact it looks so...different, then the others. It looks unique in my opinion. The other starters do not appeal to me whatsoever. I am tired of the fox/wolf/dog looking Pokemon, and I do not like Froakie, so Chespin hands down. :3

This would ruin the "rock-paper-scissors" part of Pokemon. If all the starters are evenly matched, rival battles would be easier. DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE ALL RIVALS ARE A SLIGHTLY BETTER BIANCA?!

I completely agree with you. I also want to point out on the fact that if you were to flip the Psychic/Fighting/Dark Triangle Dark could hit Fighting and Fighting could hit Psychic but when it's Psychic's turn to hit Dark boom no affect whatsoever which is unfair I think in the case that these were to be given to the X and Y Starters as Secondary Typing's. Even in the common Grass/Water/Fire Triangle Fire can hit Water and Water can hit Grass and Grass can hit Fire even if the damage isn't very strong.

My favorite Pokemon type has always been the fire type, so despite Froakie's popularity I'm going to have to say Fennekin. Besides its a fox (I think) and foxes are some of my favorite animals. The pokemon is perfect for me.

Fennekin. It took the Gen IV starters a while to grow on me and I still don't like the Gen V starters much.

You know I was the same way as you. It took them a long time to grow on me as well. I thought that they were all ugly-looking at first, but with time, I did learn to soften up to them, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

My favorite Pokemon type has always been the fire type, so despite Froakie's popularity I'm going to have to say Fennekin. Besides its a fox (I think) and foxes are some of my favorite animals. The pokemon is perfect for me.

Fennekin is actually the most popular one by far. Poor Froakie has been left out in the dust compare to the other two. Chespin4life

(Also try not to double or in this case triple post since it's against forum rules.)

I would like to live in a world where I don't have to retreat my starter because the rival threw out theirs. =p

I completely agree with you. I also want to point out on the fact that if you were to flip the Psychic/Fighting/Dark Triangle Dark could hit Fighting and Fighting could hit Psychic but when it's Psychic's turn to hit Dark boom no affect whatsoever which is unfair I think in the case that these were to be given to the X and Y Starters as Secondary Typing's. Even in the common Grass/Water/Fire Triangle Fire can hit Water and Water can hit Grass and Grass can hit Fire even if the damage isn't very strong.
Except supereffectiveness+STAB is damn powerful. No one keeps their starter out for a rival's type-advantage starter, unless your starter is much higher leveled to even survive one or two hits like that (without or without moves to hit back hard enough), or you're naturally built like a tank in the right defense stat for the SE move coming your way.

So a Fire/Psychic vs Grass/Dark is actually at an equal advantage and isn't broken in the least, because they'll learn a grass move and fire move before they ever learn a psychic or dark move (as is the nature of a starter), and likely will never be without either during the playthough. I just want a starter set that can equally rip into one another fairly and naturally, and this is the way to do it. Because all the Fi/Psy would need is one good fire move to be able to hit a Gra/Da (which it will have by the time its evolved into this type). I would like that challenge. I don't /want/ to switch for a guaranteed win. I want to keep my starter in, and may the best pogey win.

Bianca gave me just as much trouble as Cheren did. Granted, not exactly from her starter, but from the others, particularly that Herdier/Stoutland with a Rocky Helmet and Work Up + Take Down.

Besides, does your rival really need a type-advantage Starter? Wally and Gary (yellow) didn't.

Back
Top Bottom