• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

Looking at the new XY anime starter promo pic...I noticed something.

003l.jpg

Froakie has it's hand in it's foam cape thing, so its suds are clearly not a design choice and they are functional to some extent. Since it most likely makes the cape out of bubbles, I'm not saying that's where it gets Bubble from. But maybe it will gain an attack based off it's back suds like Razor Shell was with the Oshawott line. Then again it might just be something as simple as Pokedex fodder/anime!Froakie quirk where it uses the suds as some sort of rucksack. Either way it's probably worth mentioning over here.

Perhaps Froakie is really based on a burglar and it is picking up a "knife" to attack its foe. :p Also, I don't see how Froakie's evolution having boxing gloves would make it similar to Poliwrath, considering that they are based on different things and most of their designs would obviously be different.

I'd rather Froakie's possible fighting evo to not have boxing gloves because that would be too similar to Poliwrath.

Except Poliwrath's hands are more similar to Froakie's hands than they are to boxing gloves. Froakie already has the white gloves, so the similarity between the two is already there.

Does Froakie really need gloves to be water/fighting? Can't it just be a water/fighting ninja frog or something cool like that?

No it doesn't need them (I'd rather it didn't have them) but Froakie already has gloves in its design, so I was just working from what we can see and speculating where it might go. I'd honestly rather have Water/Dark than Water/Fighting anyway, but I was working off the assumption that those parts of the leaks are true as well. Water/Dark would be really neat imo.

Froakie will be a Great Partner to start off with when I will do this Game and I want to know when are we going to find out what type it is it is driving me crazy.

So I have no idea what this WHF thing is. Has any footage been released of the battles that took place? Is the World Hobby Fair (thanks google) something that only happens in Japan? Its name would suggest otherwise, but I can find surprisingly little information on it...

I would like to see what Fennekin does to decide on the Psychic situation myself. Not saying that Serebii is right or wrong, but there seems to be quite a lot of uncertainty about it and I'd like to be able to make up my own mind.

The anime art makes Froakie look even more ninja-like/stealthy with a crouching pose and a possible burgler's bag. I hope this is the case, I'd like a slim Water starter for once.

If the Froakie-line is based on ninjas then Dark-type would probably be more likely than Fighting-type I would say.

If the Froakie-line is based on ninjas then Dark-type would probably be more likely than Fighting-type I would say.

If they do the whole 'reverse triangle' thing (I hope they don't,) but Froakie becomes the Water/Dark of the group, you know what that means, right?

That's right, Fennekin's type would be Fire/Fighting :p

Ninja's usually have some sense of honor though and fighting types are usually depicted as an honorable type that's why I think a water/fighting ninja would make sense.

The anime art makes Froakie look even more ninja-like/stealthy with a crouching pose and a possible burgler's bag. I hope this is the case, I'd like a slim Water starter for once.

I sure hope so.

I can already see Froakie throwing sharp bubble shurikens at it's opponents.

Maybe Froakie uses some different kind of martial arts? Some western style that's about movement and speed? Say, lightweight boxing?

Ninja's usually have some sense of honor though and fighting types are usually depicted as an honorable type that's why I think a water/fighting ninja would make sense.

Ninjas weren't the ones who had a sense of honor. Their covert methods of waging war contrasted the ninja with the samurai, who were the ones who observed strict rules about honor and combat. After all, there's really nothing honorable about espionage, sabotage, and assassination.

Ninjas weren't the ones who had a sense of honor. Their covert methods of waging war contrasted the ninja with the samurai, who were the ones who observed strict rules about honor and combat. After all, there's really nothing honorable about espionage, sabotage, and assassination.

I've seen other ninjas that aren't depicted like that though oh well. I just hope Froakie's evolution overall has a build like this I didn't care for the design overall but I want a slim water starter
maxresdefault.jpg

I've wanted Water/Fighting for a while Samurott really should have been one.

Now those are looks for Fennekin's and Froakie's final forms I could go with. (Of course, it's a fake. Those Chespin evos don't look right, esp. knowing CHespin's hard head; Froakie's first evo looks like a parody of Marshtomp or something, and what's with the collar fringes on Fennekin's evos?)

^ These fake designs look quite terrible, certainly the ugliest fakes I've seen in my life.

Some western style that's about movement and speed? Say, lightweight boxing?

Yeah, I think lightweight boxing would be more interesting that an ninja-based evolution for Froakie, even more because ninjas and Fighting-type don't go well along, in my opinion. Froakie's evos wouldn't necessarily be similar to Poliwrath like some people are saying, since Poliwrath is more a heavyweight boxer and really, Froakie's evolution having a similar design to the fighting tadpole is pretty much impossible.

A ninja-based Water/Dark evolution for Froakie would be nice as well, but its design doesn't really look ninja-esque and yeah, I know the starter's base form design hardly symbolizes what its last evolution will be based on. Now, can we please speculate a bit about Chespin?

Those fake designs are horrible in all honesty.

As for Chespin, I think Wood Hammer is a very telling move for it. Wood Hammer has very little distribution and those Pokemon that do learn it all have something in common: they either are a tree (Abomasnow, Sudowoodo, Exeggutor) or have a tree in their design (Torterra). So Chespin's evolutions are most likely going to incorporate that relationship somehow (unless they are just randomly giving Wood Hammer more distribution I guess). Someone suggested to me that maybe it gains bark-like armour instead of growing a tree somewhere on it, which I would like a whole lot more; given Chespin is a hedgehog now, which are known for their defensive traits (roll into a ball, spikes for predators), its evolutions very well could have some bark as armour in places and that's how it uses Wood Hammer. So maybe it will look something like a pangolin with bark scales and a spikey chestnut mace tail?

At this point, out of all three starters, I think Chespin is probably going to surprise us all the most, similar to how Samurott surprised everyone last time.

I think that a heavy tanky grass for Chespin would be really neat. Especially if it gets an ability or second-typing that allows it to negate some of its weaknesses. But, if it's going to be a hedgehog, I want to see it get pin missile. Just because.

I could definitely see Chespin turning bulky a Grass/Dark bulky Pokemon would be very interesting. Design wise I think it will look bulky and slow like Slaking.

Back
Top Bottom