• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

Glow punch! Fairy type alert! Fennekin is so going Fairy as 2ndary type. ;)

If Fennekin goes bipedal I am going to be disappointed.

I hope it at least can be either like Typhlosion, Swampert and Samurott.

Glow punch! Fairy type alert! Fennekin is so going Fairy as 2ndary type. ;)

Actually when I saw Glow Punch, I immediately thought "Fire/Fighting" :p

I think people are overreacting. We've had punch moves on quadrupedal pokes before, I think. We've definitely had Punch moves on junk that doesn't have Fighting. I don't know what Glow Punch is, but I don't think we should jump to conclusions.

*please be Fire/Psychic, please be Fire/Psychic*...

Would Fire/Fighting Fennekin make the fandom implode more than Newtwo?

We've had punch moves on quadrupedal pokes before, I think.
Nope. Every punching move ever can only be learned by bipedal Pokemon. There are one or two isolated odd cases (like Focus Punch; Quilava can learn it via TM before evolving into the more-bipedal Typhlosion, and Togekiss can learn it from its pre-evolution), but there are no clearly quadruped Pokemon learning any punching moves*. At all.

(* - Sucker Punch isn't a punching move.)

Last edited:

Nope. Every punching move ever can only be learned by bipedal Pokemon. There are one or two isolated odd cases (like Focus Punch; Quilava can learn it via TM before evolving into the more-bipedal Typhlosion, and Togekiss can learn it from its pre-evolution), but there are no clearly quadruped Pokemon learning any punching moves. At all.

That's not entirely true. Metagross is capable of learning Meteor Mash. And Darmanitan can learn Hammer Arm and Fire Punch.

I believe it would. Or it would make us rage so much that many of us will quit Pokemon.

Nope. Every punching move ever can only be learned by bipedal Pokemon. There are one or two isolated odd cases (like Focus Punch; Quilava can learn it via TM before evolving into the more-bipedal Typhlosion, and Togekiss can learn it from its pre-evolution), but there are no clearly quadruped Pokemon learning any punching moves. At all.

That's not entirely true. Metagross is capable of learning Meteor Mash. And Darmanitan can learn Hammer Arm and Fire Punch.

I wouldn't count Darmanitan as an example seeing how it has hands and are based on apes.

Maybe not quit, but at least NEVER USE ANY OTHER FIRE STARTER EVER. Regardless, being bipedal doesn't doom this poke, not yet. We still can't say what this poke will be.

I believe it would. Or it would make us rage so much that many of us will quit Pokemon.

Quit Pokémon because of the type of a starter? Seriously?

Anyway, as I said, I just don't want Fennekin to evolve into Fairy.

Why would only Fennekin deserves to evolve into a brand new type? Why not Chespin or Froakie?

I did some research to clarify the situation. Everyone seems to think these pokemon can learn a move that will indicate what it evolves to. There is only one starter that really does this: Mudkip. Technically, Prinplup also does, but it only learns ONE Steel move. Mudkip learns two Ground moves. These were the natural learnset and not TMs or egg moves included. None of the other starters, regardless of state, naturally learn a move that would be STABbed for it's final evo.

I wouldn't count Darmanitan as an example seeing how it has hands and are based on apes.

But he said no quadruped Pokemon learn punching moves and Darmantitan is listed as a quadruped Pokemon.

Darmantitan is like a Orangutan or Gorilla, it can go on all fours but it also can be biped and we do see that in the anime when it uses it's fists. So Metagross is the only exception and considering it's the only one going against the trend, I think there's a good chance Fennekin's biped.

To be honest though, it being biped may be a benefit to Fennekin. Everyone's on its case for copying Vulpix especially with the Fire/Psychic rumor, this may give it something to help differentiate itself.

For the record, a starter pokemon learning an offensive move of a different type through level up (other than Normal) than the first type does not mean that pokemon will gain that type in an evolution.

Totodile and Turtwig could learn Bite through level up in their debut generations; Feraligatr is pure Water, and Torterra is Grass/Ground.

Treecko could learn Pursuit through level up in Gen III; Sceptile is pure Grass.

Torchic and Piplup could learn Peck in their debut generations; their evolutions are Fire/Fighting and Water/Steel, respectively.

Tepig could learn both Rollout and Smog; Emboar is Fire/Fighting.

If I remember correctly, Mudkip was the only first-stage starter pokemon who, in its debut generation, was able to learn offensive attacks of its final evolution's secondary type through level up.

No matter what type Glow Punch is, Fennekin's ability to learn the move has no bearing on what type(s) it will be in its final stage. The same goes for Chespin learning Rollout.

I would spurt fire from my ears in a way that Fennekin never could. In any case, if they do it again maybe I simply won't evolve Fennekin at all. : D Fire/Fighting has overstayed it's welcome, people were getting tired of it already by Infernape, the reason why it was tolerated was because well... its Infernape.

At least Fire/Fairy is actually unique if it ended up that way, though like many people I'd prefer Psychic or a simple pure mono type like Typhlosion.

Yeah probably. They want diversity in the fire starters final typings. Fire/Psychic or even Fire/Fairy would be nice. But Fire/Fighting would cause a major backlash this time (unless the fandom thinks the design is totally epic. People would still be mad but not as angry.)

I personally want all the starters to get a second typing this time around.

I saw the disappointment coming since January. The expectations set for Fennekin are at an unprecedented high; the fact that there is now a possibility for it to become bipedal upon evolution is already breaking hearts. And we don't even know its type yet. Train wreck in the making.

Anyway. #Froakie4Lyfe

Back
Top Bottom