• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

I think Fighting is most likely atm because it was (apparently) SE on Litleo. If it is Fairy, that would mean Fairy is SE on Normal or Fire, which I don't see happening.

Unless it's some dual type move?

There's still a lot of confusion as if to if it was actually SE on Litleo, though. It was hard to hear with the music and voiceover in the background at the same damn time. I personally can't tell if it is or isn't.

There's still a lot of confusion as if to if it was actually SE on Litleo, though. It was hard to hear with the music and voiceover in the background at the same damn time. I personally can't tell if it is or isn't.

I've tried replaying that part (and I think this is like the 4th or 5th time now) and I'm heavily inclined to believe that they changed the SE sound effect, so it makes it even harder to discern whether or not it is super-effective. I'm thinking that it is and that they just changed the sound effect for it, but that's just my take on it. xD; You notice it a bit more after the part where Heloptile hits Chespin for not very effective damage, since the SE for that is noticeable.

Last edited:

Gather round, children, crazy theory time!

genvistarterscreens1_zps021f0a05.png

I think Glow Punch is actually a Fairy move that Fennekin learns at level 8. It would explain why in the above shot Fennekin is at level 11 and not at level 8 like both Chespin and Froakie. The above images were released back in May, while Fairy was only revealed in June; obviously they would want to keep Glow Punch hidden back in May, if it is a Fairy move.

fenglowlitleo_zps81f6a66a.png

As you can see, Fennekin knows Glow Punch by level 14 at the latest.

I'm thinking that perhaps Glow Punch is the move that Fennekin learns at Level 8. Do you guys remember when they released the summary screen pictures of what moves the starters knew at Level 5 then followed by what moves they knew at Level 8, well oddly enough only Chespin's and Froakie's Level 8 moves were shown and Fennekin's was not, instead in place of that they showed what move it learned at Level 11 (at least that is how I understood it). Here are the pics of the summary screens for Chespin and Froakie...

View attachment 88991 View attachment 88992

and here are the summary screens for Fennekin...

View attachment 88993

I have two theories for them maybe doing this. My first theory is that Glow Punch is probably a Fairy Type move and back in May when these pics were released the Fairy Type hadn't been revealed yet, so I can understand them not wanting to show a move that was related to the new type and wind up spoiling everything.

What do you guys think of this?

Well you've posted the exact same thing I posted only a few posts above yours, so yeah, I think that's the most likely answer to it. It would explain Fennekin not being shown at level 8 like the others.

Could be the Fairy version of Quick Attack/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch etc. Froakie learns Quick Attack, which is priority attack, at level 8, so I don't think it would be all the crazy for Fennekin to learn a priority move that early too.
...Mach Punch and Bullet Punch are still punching moves, that is not helping.

Sorry, but... not helping what exactly? I was only talking about the type of the move and what its effect might be; no idea what you're trying to get at.

...Mach Punch and Bullet Punch are still punching moves, that is not helping.

Sorry, but... not helping what exactly? I was only talking about the type of the move and what its effect might be; no idea what you're trying to get at.
Oh, I was referring to the speculation that Fennekin g doing a punch move implies it will end up Fighting type (or at least bipedal) after evolving.

We do not have confirmation of the move's effectiveness on Litleo unless a "super effective" message box was shown (which it wasn't, so we don't know). Compare Litleo getting hit by a Fairy Wind -- was that the "normal" or NVE sound effect? Really hard to tell just by the sound, but when you compare Gardevoir nailing Hydreigon, you definitely recognize that sound.

Last edited:

We do not have confirmation of the move's effectiveness on Litleo unless a "super effective" message box was shown (which it wasn't, so we don't know). Compare Litleo getting hit by a Fairy Wind -- was that the "normal" or NVE sound effect? Really hard to tell just by the sound, but when you compare Gardevoir nailing Hydreigon, you definitely recognize that sound.

That's what I was saying. Litleo getting hit by Fairy Wind sounded normal to me originally, but the rumors state that it's supposed to be NVE, right?

New theory! :D

Once upon a time there was a ordinary cat pokémon. Before Black/White be released, it was a normal quadrupedal cat. But then, suddenly we discovered this cat can naturally walk as bipedal monster(??).

pc-choroneko-bw1.jpg

Could this happen again with our little Fennec Fox? :D

New theory! :D

Once upon a time there was a ordinary cat pokémon. Before Black/White be released, it was a normal quadrupedal cat. But then, suddenly we discovered this cat can naturally walk as bipedal monster(??).

pc-choroneko-bw1.jpg

Could this happen again with our little Fennec Fox? :D
Possible by evolution but based on everything we've seen so far, i think it's safe to say Fennekin is fully quadrupedal.

I'm torn, I'd like a ''traditional'' kitsune, so, all on fours, but a bipedal fox could work pretty well too, *cof*Zoroark*cof*.

I don't know if somebody has pointed this out yet, but Glow Punch seems to be an Special move, not Physical.
The way I noticed it is by comparing the Orotto reveal video with the 1st Official trailer.

In the 1st official trailer, you will see Fennekin using a move that's most likely Flamethrower or Ember, and another one that cannot be specified, but is the rumoured Psychic. Pay attention to when Fennekin uses the "Psychic" move - Fennekin first lowers his head a bit, then (supposedly) opens it's mouth and then we see the special attack.

If you watch closely and slowly enough, you will see that the animation is the same in the case of Glow Punch.

I don't know if somebody has pointed this out yet, but Glow Punch seems to be an Special move, not Physical.
The way I noticed it is by comparing the Orotto reveal video with the 1st Official trailer.

In the 1st official trailer, you will see Fennekin using a move that's most likely Flamethrower or Ember, and another one that cannot be specified, but is the rumoured Psychic. Pay attention to when Fennekin uses the "Psychic" move - Fennekin first lowers his head a bit, then (supposedly) opens it's mouth and then we see the special attack.

If you watch closely and slowly enough, you will see that the animation is the same in the case of Glow Punch.

Going off this, I'm thinking it could be a similar situation to Psyshock. Like, it's a special move (using Fennekin's sp. attack) but it sort of 'creates' a punch out of this glow-stuff, doing physical damage.

...Or not, who knows.

The one concern that I do have is whether Fennekin is using that animation because it can't actually "punch" so to speak, or whether it is really a specially-based attack. The reason I'm saying this is because there might be other Gen VI Pokemon that learn this, and of course, have a different animation with it (that may/may not require physical contact with opposing Pokemon), so I'm not completely sold on it being a special move because of that. D:

The one concern that I do have is whether Fennekin is using that animation because it can't actually "punch" so to speak, or whether it is really a specially-based attack.

In the 3D games, Pokemon have various animations associated with various kinds of moves, apparently on a per-move basis.

For example, my Jolteon in XD had at least four animations:
- Rears up, licking front paws, leaps forward (Tackle, Bite, Quick Attack)
- Steps forward, makes a sort of licking animation around its mane, then hunches back (Pin Missile)
- Turns around and kicks with its hind legs (Sand-Attack, Double Kick)
- Steps forward and poofs out its fur (Thunder, Growl)

We couldn't tell the class of move by its animation then, and we can't now. Remember when Mienfoo made a punching gesture (physical) to launch Aura Sphere (special) at Dratini in the January trailer?

Let's recap what animations we have seen, shall we?

Chespin
- Leans forward with a scowl on its face (Solarbeam, Leech Seed)
- Crouches down and ??? (Aerial Ace)

Fennekin
- Roars with ears flaring (Flamethrower, Confusion/Psychic/?, Fire Spin?)

Froakie
- Hops and shouts something (Water Gun/Hydro Pump, Water Pulse)
- Tackles at various angles (possibly part of Quick Attack's own animation instead of a Froakie animation per se)

On the subject of Glow Punch's sound effects, I'll first have to disclaim that I only listened to the Japanese trailer (wanting to not be spoiled until seeing the US version of it) but I couldn't pick out anything that sounded like the SE SE we clearly heard when Sylveon OHKO Haxorus with Moonblast in the E3 trailer (and that sound was more or less the same one we've always known). Granted, the same sound was also hard to pick out when Gardevoir nailed Hydreigon....

Last edited:

The one concern that I do have is whether Fennekin is using that animation because it can't actually "punch" so to speak, or whether it is really a specially-based attack.
- snipped, in order to prevent the quote from being too long ;~;

On the subject of Glow Punch's sound effects, I'll first have to disclaim that I only listened to the Japanese trailer (wanting to not be spoiled until seeing the US version of it) but I couldn't pick out anything that sounded like the SE SE we clearly heard when Sylveon OHKO Haxorus with Moonblast in the E3 trailer (and that sound was more or less the same one we've always known). Granted, the same sound was also hard to pick out when Gardevoir nailed Hydreigon....

Rewatching the trailer, I do agree with the points that you've stated. Even seeing Mienshao's Aura Sphere has me thinking, though I don't know if it was a "punching" gesture than it was just moving it's arm back and gathering energy in its hand in preparation to throw the aura sphere. But that's just my perspective on it anyway. xD;

And re-watching the other trailer (Garde vs Hydreigon), it almost seemed as if they purposely lowered the volume of the SE sound effect (it sounds completely stupid but possible nonetheless). Could be the case when Fennekin Glowpunched Litleo. @_@ That's my guess, anyway.

Fennekin better not be Fire/Fighting or I will flip out!

Fennekin should stay quadruped. We never had a quadruped Fire-type starter.

I agree that Fennekin should stay quadrupedal. Also, all quadrupedal final starter evolutions we've had so far are rather bulky in design, so I'd love to see Fennekin ending up as thin to get away from the "big and bad" that we've had so many times before.

I want Fennekin to become bipedal, personally, only because I generally prefer bipedal Pokemon. But I won't be surprised in the slightest if it stays on all fours.

Chespin looks like a Pokemon that could pretty much go either way between being bipedal and being a quadruped. I'm going to make a guess here and say that it's going to remain that way, pretty much.

I imagine Froakie's case to be a lot like the Mudkip line. The first evolution is a quadruped, the second is bipedal, and the third, I believe, is a quadruped.

I imagine Fennekin's line to be like Cyndaquil's. I'm not too sure whether or not Cyn was bipedal or quadruped (or if it can just be fine doing both), but assuming that first form is more a quadruped, then I imagine it staying that way until final evolution, where it's bipedal.

Fennekin should stay quadruped. We never had a quadruped Fire-type starter.
Typhlosion was the closest we got; its long torso and short legs are typical of a quadruped (and it is technically classified as such, unlike Cyndaquil), but its default stance is on the hind legs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom