• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

why is the post your quoting below you (sorry if i double post}

Because Reila was good and edited their post... like you should have done instead of double posting *releases rage like Hugh*

why is the post your quoting below you (sorry if i double post}

really, they're comparing him to gengar?

oh to cause some more controversy

OMG WTF FROAKIES EVOLUTION IS A POLITOED

I didn't want to post again, so I quoted you and then edited my previous post. lol I unintentionally made you double post because of that, sorry. So, look at Hariboogu's body, it has a similar shape to Gengar's body, but that is where the similarities end. It is a really dumb comparison, but sadly that is the fandom we are part of.

I was like "chespin, what the hell happened to you!" When I first saw his evo, but the more I look at it, the more I'm okay with him. He is pretty cute, and its not like hedgehogs are skinny looking so this actually makes more sense in term of the animal it's based on. Don't worry chespin, I still think you are adorable (but I'm still picking fennekin).

inb4 hariboogu sonic crossovers come

What I saw on Serebii. Inferring from this, do you guys think that we'll have another Grass/Steel on Chespin's final evo so far? I'm pretty excited if this turns out to be the case! At least Chespin could serve as some sort of good fairy check. n_n

Being armored means that the pokemon has a thick, defensive covering on its body. This covering does not necessarily have to be metallic. Chespin's evolution has wood and thorns protecting it from attacks. The pokemon's description may imply that it has plenty of Defense, at least a higher Defense than the other starter evolutions, and maybe even higher HP as well. Whatever the case may be, Chespin's line will be the bulky starter this gen.

Whatever the case may be, Chespin's line will be the bulky starter this gen.

I could see Fennekin's line having really good Sp.Def tbh. With it being a witch/sorceror/whatever, it seems like it should probably be good defensively against special attacks. Psychic types usually have good Sp.Def too.

Chespin will probably focus on Defence, Attack and HP imo. But its Sp.Def could be decent too, I guess.

Here's my guesses as to what their best stats will be:

Chespin: HP, Atk, Def (maybe Sp.Def)
Fennekin: Sp.Atk, Sp.Def, Speed (I reckon it won't be super fast, but it will have decent enough speed)
Froakie: Atk, Sp.Atk, Speed

chespin becomes a starter blissey

thoughts anyone?

I could see Fennekin's line having really good Sp.Def tbh. With it being a witch/sorceror/whatever, it seems like it should probably be good defensively against special attacks. Psychic types usually have good Sp.Def too.

That's why I didn't mention Special Defense in my previous post. A WiFi battle that took place during an exhibition showed Froakie's Hydro Pump taking most of Chespin's health. Still, the Chespin's Special Defense was high enough for it to not faint from a Helioptile's Parabolic Charge even though Chespin's health was in the red. I can see Chespin's Special Defense being lower than Fennekin's but higher than Froakie's.

I can see Fennekin's final stage having higher Special Attack and Defense with lower speed and physical stats, and Froakie's having higher Speed with above-average attacking stats. I can see Chespin's final evolution having higher Attack than Special Attack, which may be higher than Froakie's final.

So I'm hoping there was a last minute change in Fennekin's type and that it's a Fire/Fairy witch and its just misleading us with Psychic.

What if the starters evolve into Grass/Steel, Fire/Fairy and Water/Fighting? Knowing the new type chart, it would be an 'almost' perfect secondary triangle. Almost because Fennekin's Fire-type would null the SE damage from Chespin's Steel-type attacks. Personally I like these types more than Grass/Dark and Fire/Psychic. I don't care about this "starters should be balanced against each other" thing, but that would please the people that do care... Well, kinda. It is not like Dark/Psychic/Fighting was a perfect triangle either.

Steel was nerfed in Gen VI, but a Grass/Steel combo still seem to be more interesting than Grass/Dark. Fire/Fairy would be an unique combo and it would fit Fennekin's supposed warlock/witch thematic better than Psychic. Lastly, there is Water/Fighting, but we already talked a lot about it. Sure, one could say that Fennekin would be a bit OP, being immune to Dragon-type moves, but then again, Empoleon and Torterra are immune to Poison- and Electric-type attacks, respectively and in the end, Infernape is still better than both of them.

I would honestly be okay with either fairy or psychic as a second type. And while the pokebeach leaks have been astonishingly accurate so far, I'm still a little skeptical regarding chespin becoming a dark type after seeing its second evolution.

Neither Grass/Dark nor Water/Fighting look very plausible atm. I mean, it could always happen, nothing about Charmeleon said it'd grow wings and become part Flying, but we haven't had such a drastic change since then tbh.

I think Steel, Ground, and Rock for Chespin seem likely atm. Nothing about Gekogashira screams Dark, but it's super sleek. I don't see fighting really fitting though. Not that there can't be slim Fighting types, but they usually have bulk in the arms or something.

Neither Grass/Dark nor Water/Fighting look very plausible atm. I mean, it could always happen, nothing about Charmeleon said it'd grow wings and become part Flying, but we haven't had such a drastic change since then tbh.

Prinplup also had little indication of a Steel typing, and if you just go by design, then Dewott to Samurott was very jumpy as well so that's still not unusual for the starters.

Personally, I think Chespin could pull off Dark or Fighting if the shell really is armor and they go for a (Dark) Knight or fighter theme.

Some Chinese Fan notice that Chespin evo's shadow is another Gengar.

So if people are saying that Chespin is Oshawott 2.0, and Hariboogu is Pignite 2.0, then clearly GF will make the final evolution Serperior 2.0. Cuz you know, they're in the business to rip themselves off.

So if people are saying that Chespin is Oshawott 2.0, and Hariboogu is Pignite 2.0, then clearly GF will make the final evolution Serperior 2.0. Cuz you know, they're in the business to rip themselves off.

Serperior 2.0 should be Fennekin final form, right? They are both smuggers.

Here's my guesses as to what their best stats will be:

Chespin: HP, Atk, Def (maybe Sp.Def)
Fennekin: Sp.Atk, Sp.Def, Speed (I reckon it won't be super fast, but it will have decent enough speed)
Froakie: Atk, Sp.Atk, Speed

This was actually what I've been thinking about as I wait for the new games. I think you're close to being right, but I wouldn't agree exactly with you. Chespin will almost definitely have an emphasis on Attack and Defense, but I doubt he'll have both HP and Sp. Def. If I had to bet on one, I would assume he'll have higher HP than Sp. Def, and maybe even defense (a shame, given his typing's weakness to common special attacking types.) I hope I'm wrong. I really don't want another defensive grass pokemon, I'd love to see him with a solid attack and speed (however unlikely that is.)

Fennekin, if the predicted typing is accurate, will definitely have an emphasis on Sp. Attack and Speed, although I doubt the Sp. Def will be anything worth talking about (I'd bet it will be around base 90, but probably 93 or some bullshit.) An ok offensive move pool, probably an excellent supportive move pool. Safeguard, reflect, lightscreen, magic coat, wish, things like that. I'll eat my hat if Fennekin isn't Psychic.

Froakie is definitely rocking attack and speed, not sure about special attack. I could see him functioning as almost a water/dark blaziken, with higher speed.

Froakie is my starter.

i hope your hat is seasoned properly, because either GF is trolling us, or fennekin is being groomed more and more toward a fairy-type. though id be okay with either type combination.

im still taking froakie first time through (since my brothers will have chespin and fennekin and we will be trading eggs when we can)

and im hoping chespin and forakie end up with interesting type combos. i could see fire/fairy, grass/steel(or rock), and water/fighting(like a faster polewrath) or dark(depending if they go a ninja route or otherwise).

It's more believable to me if Fennekin would evolve in to a Fire/Fairy (or a chance it could just be pure Fire). At this time, they would love to rub off to everyone's faces about the Fairy type. We got a Fairy type mascot and we'll may be getting a Fairy type starter. Yes, Fairy type for everyone (Oprah said).

i hope your hat is seasoned properly, because either GF is trolling us, or fennekin is being groomed more and more toward a fairy-type. though id be okay with either type combination.

im still taking froakie first time through (since my brothers will have chespin and fennekin and we will be trading eggs when we can)

and im hoping chespin and forakie end up with interesting type combos. i could see fire/fairy, grass/steel(or rock), and water/fighting(like a faster polewrath) or dark(depending if they go a ninja route or otherwise).
It seems really unlikely they would introduce a new type by dropping a starter with that typing into the game. I can understand looking at the pokemon's design how one could make the jump to fairy type, but it seems to fit more naturally into the trio as a psychic pokemon. I'd also take into account how long the fandom has been clammering for a dual water/grass/fire + psychic/dark/fighting trio as starters and how much these new games appear to be appealing to the fans as a good suggestion that it's more likely psychic. I guess all we can do at this point is assume though!

Back
Top Bottom