• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Starter pokemon

It'll be like Rumble and you have to start with a Rattata. :p

I wouldn't mind much if it's Kanto starters, as long as the game isn't limited to only the first 151 like the trailer may be hinting at.

I think Eevee makes the most sense as a starter, as far as possible diversity. Say they go an Eevee route, my wife could end up with a Vaporeon, because we live close to the ocean. While I work the night shift, so mine evolves to an Umbreon. I like that idea over "X" region starters, everyone starting with either a water, fire or grass-type.

Here are some of the most likely possibilities:
  1. Starter PKMN available to the player depends on their country/continent of origin
  2. Players may choose from all starter PKMN
  3. Players may choose from one of the PKMN in Super Mystery Dungeon, which is essentially the same as item No. 2 with Pikachu and Riolu
  4. Players receive an Eevee (As in PKMN Conquest)
  5. This is not very likely, but a cool notion: What if Nintendo is using PKMN Go as the starting point for Gen 7? Players will choose from 3 completely new starter PKMN. and be able to encounter new PKMN in the wild as well?!?

I can see it being either the original 3, maybe Pikachu and Eevee if they are feeling generous.

Would love to start a game with Pichu though.

Here are some of the most likely possibilities:
  • This is not very likely, but a cool notion: What if Nintendo is using PKMN Go as the starting point for Gen 7? Players will choose from 3 completely new starter PKMN. and be able to encounter new PKMN in the wild as well?!?

It's really cool but please no, my OCD wouldn't be able to handle it.

I'd like Mudkip please XD

Would be really cool if they let you pick any starter ever.

My guess is either Kanto starters or Eevee. All the marketing for this game has been pretty heavy on the OG 151. Especially since this game is pretty aimed at my generation (aka the mid 20s who grew up with gen 1 and are rather nostalgic for it).

I do like the Eevee idea. As people have said, gives people a ton of options for their first evolution (which helps build a diverse team). Plus, it fits into the Gen 1 thing from a marketing standpoint. I don't care what I start with as long as I can get a Charmander at some point.

My guess is either Kanto starters or Eevee. All the marketing for this game has been pretty heavy on the OG 151. Especially since this game is pretty aimed at my generation (aka the mid 20s who grew up with gen 1 and are rather nostalgic for it).

I do like the Eevee idea. As people have said, gives people a ton of options for their first evolution (which helps build a diverse team). Plus, it fits into the Gen 1 thing from a marketing standpoint. I don't care what I start with as long as I can get a Charmander at some point.

Wouldn't Eevee be a poor choice for Starter if it is the first 151 only. It would mean people would complain from the get-go if they prefer a non-gen 1 eeveelution.

Could they use different starters in different areas. For example Gen 1 in Japan, Gen 2 in North America, Gen 3 in Europe.

I dunno, but I have a feeling that there aren't any starter Pokémon cause catching Pokémon in GO is like pressing buttons in a predetermined order. So catching your first Pokémon might not be that hard. Also I don't think it would be any Starter Pokémon cause that takes the fun away from finding and catching for example a Charizard like in the preview. I mean why would you go out and find and catch a Charizard when you can get a Charmander at the start. But I do hope they have starter Pokémon. And the preview only shows Kanto Pokémon, so lets hope for a Kanto starter Pokémon! :D

I honestly think you'll be thrown through some tutorial, having to catch a Sunkern Pikachu, then having that as your starter.

I'd love a choice of Pokemon, but the above seems to have a better chance of happening.

In my honest opinion

The problem with giving you a Master ball to catch your first is many people would wait to start playing to find a powerful starter.

Tutorial Pikachu sounds like that's what it'll be

I'd like Mudkip please XD.

I herd u liek mudkipz?

Joking asside, Eevee would be awesome, but tutorial Pikachu seems like it would be the most likely. I would love to see a Sun/Moon tie in and have their starters added to GO! However, that will depend on when GO gets released.

I just had a reeeeeealy unpleasant thought of micro-transactions to get the evolution stones. Man, that would suck.

We could have an option to choose from the swath from past games or catch our own with a 100% catch rate.

Last edited:
I know I won't get a growlithe from the get-go, but I am REALLY hoping on growlithe being an available pokemon in my area, because he is the bomb.com.

Also, @Arcalargo, I would be furious if they did that to me, I don't spend money on in-game purchases, so having to buy stones might lead me to make an uprising, and overthrow the government, and then, demand that game freak meet our demands!!!

@ArcaKnight I know, right! I would straight up delete the game and I may just sell all of the Pokémon games that I own if that was the case.

Well, probably not. But still, I might.

@Arcalargo, I beleive that an uprising might just cause casualties... Hmm... AN UPRISING IN GAME!!! Haha! We can hack the entire pokemon network, and broadcast our demands to the entire pokemon community!!!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! ALL SHALL RISE TO MY GLORIOUS REVOLUTION! DOWN WITH ARCEUS AND LET US RULE THE GAME FREAK NATION ON OUR OWN!!

I'm not sure, but this could be awesome @ArcaKnight

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom