• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starters Discussion/Speculation

For the typyings, I will go with:

Grass/Fairy
Fire/Groud
Water/Fighting (though Flying would give him a x4 weakness like the other two, but if it will become flying type, why not making Quaxly flying type already?).

I just hope the era of pure grass/fire/water starters is over for good.

My first impressions:

-Sprigatito has not just a cute look - There's a feminine feel, kind of like in the designs of Chikorita and Fenniken. If it becomes biped, I see it more going the Delphox route instead of the grim Incineroar situation. I wouldn't mind the Delphox route if it's done right, but I still pray for a quadped line anyhow.

-Fuecoco is... Not my favorite. But evolution wise, maybe Godzilla comes to mind? I would love if it evolved into a 10+ foot tall Tyranitar-like fire monster. The starter has some chunk to it to suggest that, at least.

-Quaxly is my favorite of the bunch, just because of the pompadour hair it has - So hilarious! It speaks of a theme based evolution, but the theme is kind of ambiguous. Could the hair convert the duck into a sailor? A pirate? An admiral leader? A politician? Something screams of a humanlike evo for this pompaduck.

I think it’s more suited to a middle stage than final evo, but hoping for some Iberian lynx inspo in the Sprigatito line.

Fuecoco, I would prefer quadrupedal, but I would gladly take Godzilla vibes.

Quaxly… definitely unsure where it’s going or where I would want it to go. Maybe a crane?

Because they’ve basically done all three animals as starters before (Litten, Totodile, Piplup), I’m nearly certain they will be continuing the trend of having the final forms be humanoid things nearly completely removed from the animal.

The only one I have a solid guess on is Quaxly, because I can really see it going the pirate route. It already has a hat with a symbol in it- that can easily go full pirate hat. I would guess Water/Dark but since we just had Samurott, I’ll guess Water/Fighting like others have said. Definitely won’t be Water/Flying or Water/Steel.

I’m most interested in Fuecoco, which is very strange because I never choose the fire starter. The pepper vibe it has is so intriguing though (watch it become a chef LMAOOOOO).

I'm guessing they'll probably want to differentiate Quaxly from other duck/water bird Pokemon so it probably won't end up (or stay) as a Water/Flying type. It probably won't be a Water/Steel type either.

It could see them going doing a Water/Fighting route....or maybe Water/Rock?

My favourite from the bunch is Fuecoco, and I had been hoping to use a fire starter this time too! So, unless its evolutions really drop the ball I'll probably be going with them.

I can see Water/Fighting for Quaxly as well... although i don't know if they want to give us another part Fighting Duck in back-to-back generations (Although we are overdue for a part fighting water starter, considering we have those typings on Fire and Grass already).

I'm not as averse to the new Starters as when I first saw them, but I still haven't quite warmed up to them yet.

I can definitely see Sprigatito staying quadruped in order to differentiate it against Incineroar, maybe some kind of alternate big cat like a panther or leopard since lion and tiger have already been done?

In reverse, I see Fuecoco changing from gator to dinosaur to avoid overlap with Totodile.

Lastly we have Quaxly who I have no clue what they plan to do with. I have a feeling it might become less bird-like to avoid competition with the Regional bird, but what that could be other than humanoid I don't know.

The only one I have a solid guess on is Quaxly, because I can really see it going the pirate route. It already has a hat with a symbol in it- that can easily go full pirate hat. I would guess Water/Dark but since we just had Samurott, I’ll guess Water/Fighting like others have said. Definitely won’t be Water/Flying or Water/Steel.
Yeah I'm definitely seeing a pirate hat in that tuft of feathers on its head. If true then it'll more obvious in its evolution, which then becomes a full-on pirate hat with a stylised skull and crossbones in its final evolution.

I'm really stuck between these three. The past few generations there's always been a standout, but I like all three equally, they all appeal to me in their own way.

Oshawott became a sea lion samurai, Froakie a tongue-scarfed ninja, Popplio a siren, Sobble James Bond. I mean, don't try to to guess its evolution, water starters have gone crazy since gen 5.
It think maybe its hat/hair will be important. I hope we will have our water/fighting starter in the end (considering all the birds starter tend to receive the wing-cut treatment lately).

I fear Fuecoco will go Emboar and I'm really not ready for that.
In retrospect there was a hint that Oshawott and Froakie would go the samurai and ninja route as Oshawott was shown to use its shell like a sword and Froakie had a heavy thief leaning. The other two I agree though as Popplio had no hints it'd go the siren/mermaid route, and while Sobble's invisibility gimmick does work for a spy, it's not as immediately applicable to that role.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom