• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starters Discussion/Speculation

I think Sprigatito will be a special sweeper. The last Grass sweeper is Sceptile (and it's totally not good) and I think it's about time to have a good one. It will probably gain the Fairy type which is meh competitively considering it will be frail af but it may get a good ability and great speed (100+).

Quaxly will probably be a medium fast (80-100) physical attacker. Inteleon and Greninja are too close to create another super fast water starter. The last three water starters are special, so It's safe to assume Quaxly will be physical. For its type, I will go with these: Fighting, Ghost (is it a little pirate maybe?), Ice or Steel. The more I think about it, the more I believe that if they wanted to make it part flying, they would have made it already.

Fuecoco is clearly the slow tank with great HP, defense and physical attack. For its secondary type I would go with ground, steel, poison, dragon.
You guys are overthinking it lol. That or Gamefreak has become too predictable.

It'll become Grass Puss in Boots, mark my words!
...we JUST got generation IX revealed. I'm very sorry but I'm not touching on these new games for reasons kinda like this. I'm excited for Skitatito but I'm lowering my expectations.

Last edited:
I’m not going to make many assumptions on the starters’ role based their first stage aspect. I don’t think people though that we’d get all three starter slow in Gen 7, and even in Gen 8, it wasn’t certainly a sure thing that Cinderace and Intelleon would be the same kind to Pokémon, basically, only different on their attack to choice.

We don’t know how those Pokémon will evolve, and what changes are going to happen. While I wouldn’t bet on it, Fuecoco could go through the reverse of what happened to Litten, and turn from a seemingly slow and bulky mon into a fast one.

I’m not going to make many assumptions on the starters’ role based their first stage aspect. I don’t think people though that we’d get all three starter slow in Gen 7, and even in Gen 8, it wasn’t certainly a sure thing that Cinderace and Intelleon would be the same kind to Pokémon, basically, only different on their attack to choice.

We don’t know how those Pokémon will evolve, and what changes are going to happen. While I wouldn’t bet on it, Fuecoco could go through the reverse of what happened to Litten, and turn from a seemingly slow and bulky mon into a fast one.
I was just about to bring up Litten- anything is possible. I actually REALLY can see Fuecoco being a thicker version of Snivy in design, and therefore become the other extreme and become a very thin, fast, long pepper snake with vague crocodile influences remaining in its face.

Looking at the past, i honestly can't see it happening. Like, a stocky mon never became a slender one and a slender one never became a stocky one in terms of starters. The stocky mons either became more bulky or retained their stockiness (Bulbasaur - Venusaur, Squirtle - Blastoise were stocky, became more bulky). Chikorita and Totodile were stocky, remained stocky and i wouldn't call Cyndaquil and Typhlosion slender either. Mudkip was stocky, became Bulky. Torchic remained it stockiness and Treecko remained its slenderness. Its the same with the rest of the generations as well.

My top three predictions for the starter types in order of likeliness:

Sprigatito:
1. Grass/Fairy
2. Grass/Psychic
3. Grass/Poison

I think it's mainly between Fairy and Psychic though.

Fuecoco:
1. Fire/Dragon
2. Fire/Steel
3. Fire/Ground

Fuecoco feels like they could go in a number of different ways. Originally I thought Fire/Electric was likely due to the yellow patches....but then I was reminded that people thought the same thing about Scorbunny last gen.

I'm not sure if I'm really feeling Fire/Ghost for Fuecoco but I guess it could happen if they go down the ghost pepper route. Fire/Ghost would probably be my number 4 prediction.

Something about the design makes me think it could become heavy and end up a bulky steel or ground type as well.

Quaxly:
1. Water/Fighting
2. Water/Dark
3. Water/Rock

I don't think Water/Flying or Water/Steel is likely for Quaxly, especially Water/Flying.

There's the possibility that they end up as pure types....but we just had that last gen so I'm thinking that's unlikely this time around. Quaxly seems like a sailor so to me Fighting seems like a likely type. If it goes down the pirate route I could see the dark type as well. As for rock, I'm not really sure....tbh I'm mostly thinking either Fighting or Dark.

Looking at the past, i honestly can't see it happening. Like, a stocky mon never became a slender one and a slender one never became a stocky one in terms of starters. The stocky mons either became more bulky or retained their stockiness (Bulbasaur - Venusaur, Squirtle - Blastoise were stocky, became more bulky). Chikorita and Totodile were stocky, remained stocky and i wouldn't call Cyndaquil and Typhlosion slender either. Mudkip was stocky, became Bulky. Torchic remained it stockiness and Treecko remained its slenderness. Its the same with the rest of the generations as well.
We never got a slender, fast-like mon liek Litten and Torracat becoming a bulkier, slower mon like Incineroar, in the starter lineup, either.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, just to not be sure of what those new Pokémon will turn out to be.

We never got a slender, fast-like mon liek Litten and Torracat becoming a bulkier, slower mon like Incineroar, in the starter lineup, either.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, just to not be sure of what those new Pokémon will turn out to be.

From a design standpoint, Incineroar is still slender compared to the other bulky mons. It doesn't do a total 180, while Fuecoco would do one.

From a design standpoint, Incineroar is still slender compared to the other bulky mons. It doesn't do a total 180, while Fuecoco would do one.
I would consider more how he looks like compare to its evolutionary line then other mons, personally. It’s still a big enough change to me, even more so stat wise.

I don’t think Fuecoco will necessary have the same treatment, but I’m not going to bet on anything at this point, personally.

What if they do a kind of land/air/sea profession theme?

Sprigatito- farmer/gardener
Fuecoco- pilot/plane
Quaxly- pirate/sailor

Cat claws becoming kind of hoe-inspired, with the leaf tuft on its neck becoming a kind of farming apron. Grass/Steel?

Fuecoco growing draconian wings and becoming slender with no limbs, doing the pepper snake thing but with wings. And goggles like Flygon. Fire/Dragon?

Quaxly doing the pirate thing. Water/Fighting?

An Iberian Lynx for Sprigatito would be awesome! I would love it if it stays quadrupedal, since there are barely any starter who does that since gen 5. "Capricious" also made me think of dark type, but I enjoyed using fairy type ever since its introduction.

As with a lot of people, I think Quaxly will become a sailor/pirate and gain fighting type.

I don't have any idea how Fuecoco will evolve, since its base design is already pretty unique. Though I do think it will keep its pepper theme.
Primarina is naturally an exception since it's a mermaid of course

( let's not talk about Rillaboom ..)
What if they do a kind of land/air/sea profession theme?

Sprigatito- farmer/gardener
Fuecoco- pilot/plane
Quaxly- pirate/sailor

Cat claws becoming kind of hoe-inspired, with the leaf tuft on its neck becoming a kind of farming apron. Grass/Steel?

Fuecoco growing draconian wings and becoming slender with no limbs, doing the pepper snake thing but with wings. And goggles like Flygon. Fire/Dragon?

Quaxly doing the pirate thing. Water/Fighting?
Not strange enough for modern game Greak. :/

But the first two ideas are absurd. Fuecoco could become a Fire/Fairy type as a surprise. I hope Skitatito stays mono grass type because I don't want it ruined.

Have warmed up to these starters a lot quicker than Gen 8. They may be up there in my favorite sets of first stage starters, but I’m hesitant to say that on account of recency bias.

The one thing I’m not 100% on is how all their names sound when lumped together. Most if not all of the previous starter trios kind of roll off the tongue when said as a group:
Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle
Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile
Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip
Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup
Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie
Rowlet, Litten and Popplio

A couple sound a little awkward:
Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott
Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble

And then there’s these guys:
Sprigatito, Fuecoco and Quaxly

Is it just me? It could be just me…still love the Gen 9 starters individually.

What weapon will the little duck use this gen? We have cannons, guns, swords, surikens, tridents. What's left?
It even looks like a pirate/sailor or a soldier this time.

What weapon will the little duck use this gen? We have cannons, guns, swords, surikens, tridents. What's left?
It even looks like a pirate/sailor or a soldier this time.
Feather sword. I’m 100% pirate for Quaxly until anything says otherwise. Lol

Sprigatito is cute. At first glance it's simple but there's actually a lot of thought on how its details are used. I also appreciate that it has a reasonable head/body ratio. Whether it evolves into catwoman or a Grass Luxray I think it will become very popular.

Fuecoco is my favorite. I'm always drawn to "ugly cute" Pokemon and its roundness is adorable, it kinda feels like a Fire-type Rowlet lol. It has some weird toy-like details but I'm sure they'll pay off on its evolutions. I hope they are quadrupedal, but a bipedal one wouldn't be bad as we haven't had a fat dino in a while. I don't get why some people say "HAHA ZODIAC DEAD" when to me it was obvious they'd stop using it when it felt like a creative limit.

Quaxly is literally a Ducktales reboot character down to the colors and the hard edges, but it has personality in spades so it's okay. Will definitely become a soldier stork or eagle.

The fact is that we already have a white duck with a sword-like thing, that's Sirfetch'd. We need another weapon.
Hmmm whether it goes pirate or Don Quixote (the X choice for Quaxly has me intrigued), it’s some kind of one-handed sword-like thing right? It wouldn’t have a shield though, and would be a thin, long feather blade.

For Sprigatito, give me that Grass/Steel type.

Fuecoco - Fire/Dragon is the obvious choice. Wouldn't like Ground or Rock since it seems to be the slow starter and these types are it's death call. Fire/Ghost is also neat

Quaxly - Water/Ice. Just don't make it Flying, that would be super dull. Hope it's becoming an admiral duck and have a similiar design to Empoleon. For the weapon theme, make it's beak a harpune.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom