• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starters Discussion/Speculation

Snorlax is a known fat joke, they were poking fun at a Game Freak staff member with an eating habit, but it isn't just a fat cartoon animal and it actually looks like it belongs in the franchise. My problem with Skwovet and Greedent is that they look like they belong in an entirely different style of cartoon that has a bad habit of harshly mocking obesity. It's not the being fat that's a problem, it's the style. To me, they do not feel like they fit in Pokemon. They're plain animals, they're exaggeratedly chubby, and they look like they belong in a western cartoon without any made-up creatures in it where they would probably explode or get stuck in a hole.
So fat shaming a real person is okay but depicting a squirrel as chubby (when squirrels are known to be chubby) is wrong? I fail to follow your logic.

Have you been around squirrels? They're not exactly skinny and they like to scrunch themselves up to look larger. Greedunt's size isn't that exaggerated. You can still hate the design; it is kind of ugly and has a dumb face, but I don't feel like it's fair to assume malicious intent.

1 .Popplio got a hostile reaction for being partially based on a clown, something that a lot of people inherently dislike for some reason. Fuecoco by contrast doesn't have any visible connection to an unpopular or divisive concept, so people don't mind it.
As someone who disliked Popplio but likes Fuecoco; this is definitely it. I was afraid Popplio was going to evolve into some clown monstrosity. Primarina is a really nice design, though.

So fat shaming a real person is okay but depicting a squirrel as chubby (when squirrels are known to be chubby) is wrong? I fail to follow your logic.

Have you been around squirrels? They're not exactly skinny and they like to scrunch themselves up to look larger. Greedunt's size isn't that exaggerated. You can still hate the design; it is kind of ugly and has a dumb face, but I don't feel like it's fair to assume malicious intent.

As someone who disliked Popplio but likes Fuecoco; this is definitely it. I was afraid Popplio was going to evolve into some clown monstrosity. Primarina is a really nice design, though.
Like I said, it's not about them being fat, it's that they look like they belong in a style of cartoon that regularly portrays animals in such a fashion. It's hard to explain, but basically they look like normal squirrels with western cartoon faces and western tendency toward making exaggerated jokes about gluttony. They'd fit better in an American cartoon as tasteless background fodder.

Never forget:
697da189bff599b9e0897d5f2e94aaf9.jpg

God I remember the first time I saw an american squirrel..those things are absolutely massive compared to the ones here it's crazy how...robust they all were

1. Popplio got a hostile reaction for being partially based on a clown, something a lot of people inherently dislike for some reason. Fuecoco by contrast doesn't have any visible connection to an unpopular or divisive concept, so people don't mind it.

Which is interesting to me because Blacephalon which was introduced in the exact same Gen as Popplio didn't get nearly as much backlash and that thing is literally a Clown Pokemon

Which is interesting to me because Blacephalon which was introduced in the exact same Gen as Popplio didn't get nearly as much backlash and that thing is literally a Clown Pokemon
That one's case was probably because it was both introduced later and is an Ultra Beast, which were intentionally designed to be freaky-looking (unlike starters, who are supposed to be appealing for obvious reasons) as well as already plenty controversial with fans anyway, meaning that the people who disliked it almost certainly already disliked the UBs in general anyway. Also, Blacephalon is a postgame Pokemon, so it's a lot easier to ignore its existence compared to a starter.

Hanging on to my thought (and the common idea) that Quaxly will become a pirate. If so...I bet it will be named: Duckaneer or Swashduckler

I'm particularly fond of Swashduckler.

These are things I wake up thinking about in the middle of the night.

That's literally how I feel tbh

When people make these amazing fanarts it just raises people's hopes higher only for them to come crashing down when the official designs look nothing like them.

Case in point.

https://twitter.com/Rx_Chuang/status/1498273969366986755?t=6tY2IN_I_E6Q7y-_STyP-Q&s=19

This Fanmade Sprigatito evolution looks absolutely amazing but that's also a problem because you just know the Official evolution is likely gonna be underwhelming by comparison

Heck the only time where I have ever seen an Official Evolution look better than Fanmade designs were Greninja, Decidueye, and maybe Primarina (And those 3 are among the Starters who bear the least amount of resemblance to their Base stages)
That Sprigatito's last stage resembles Diego from Shrek. The boots are missing though. That being said, I agree with you. These fanarts only raise our expectations and, when we compare them to the final product, we usually end up sad and disappointed. From now on, I won't search for fanarts anymore. I'll sit and wait for the outcome of this.

As someone who still gets that knotted gut feeling when she sees a clown as a 31 year old: It's true. No clown face means no scary.

Blacephalon is delightful. I love it.

Yeah, its design always reminded me more of some sort of whimsical gumball machine rather than a clown even though it is clearly clown-inspired.

Plus the fluff on delphox comes from inside its ears. This would be like two little leaves popping off the tips of the ears.

Probably wouldn't even look anything like Delphox. I'd picture Sprigatito's final form to be like a mix of a sabertooth tiger and a lynx. Big strong fang kitty.

Just a thought:
Lynx second stage
Snow Leopard final form

Remains quadruped, spots are actually small flowers like hibiscus or wolfsbane.

Considering it looks suspiciously like a theropod, I suspect Fuecoco will in all likelihood end up as a dinosaur in its final evolution. However I can dream of an awesome fire crocodile that doesn't look stupid (looking at you Feraligator). :unsure:

Something along the lines of these...
1647196615049.png

1647196695440.png

i know this isnt related to the current topic at hand, but since this is a starters discussion, can i just say... how slightly disappointed i am with sprigatitos design? it looks so basic, especially taking the other two starters into consideration. i dont hate sprigatito, by the way, i love cat pokemon (cuz cats are my favorite animals obviously) but like... man. i wish there was a bit more to its design. i think thats one of the reasons why theres such a heated debate on how its final evo will be compared to the other two... its just a green cat and thats it! i wish game freak did more with the poor thing.

Considering it looks suspiciously like a theropod, I suspect Fuecoco will in all likelihood end up as a dinosaur in its final evolution. However I can dream of an awesome fire crocodile that doesn't look stupid (looking at you Feraligator). :unsure:

Something along the lines of these...
I'm still hoping for the return of

Crocky.png

i know this isnt related to the current topic at hand, but since this is a starters discussion, can i just say... how slightly disappointed i am with sprigatitos design? it looks so basic, especially taking the other two starters into consideration. i dont hate sprigatito, by the way, i love cat pokemon (cuz cats are my favorite animals obviously) but like... man. i wish there was a bit more to its design. i think thats one of the reasons why theres such a heated debate on how its final evo will be compared to the other two... its just a green cat and thats it! i wish game freak did more with the poor thing.
I mean, I thought the same thing about Litten. And then it Evolved into a freaking John Cena upon it's final form

I'm sure Sprigatito's final form will be equally outlandish

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom