• 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site or its archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• ME begins a second journey around Sinnoh. Watch here as he follows a famous Professor around.

Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Well, I’d say the likeliest bet is that “Scorbunny” is scorch+bunny, which is most obvious for a Fire starter and makes the least assumptions. “Sobble” is sob+bubble, and, uhh...I’m gonna assume that “Grookey” has roots in something other than Groot. :p
Grookey - Grass Monkey, but with the extra O, else its to similair to Froakie.

Now with a m̶e̶g̶a̶ Gigantamax
Reaction score
Grookey - Grass Monkey, but with the extra O, else its to similair to Froakie.
People have suggested that, given translations of its other names having to do with tempo and rhythm, its name could come from "groove" and "monkey." I also think it sounds kinda like "groupie" which also fits there.

Gather round, people, I'll tell you a story
Reaction score
Yup. A whopping two Fire Starters.
Over the course of eight years. It's been nearly a decade since we had a Fire/Fighting starter. I don't see the problem with having another after all that time.

Reaction score
I'm guessing Scorbunny's evolutions will be Fire/Ground. Rabbits burrow underground. Of course I thought Piplup would be Water/Ice and that was incorrect.

Reaction score
That no other starter has repeated types as much as the Fire line?

EDIT: And that people are completely bored at that?
If you're still bored of Fire/Fighting after nearly a decade of getting to play with other stuff, I don't know what to tell you. This is one of those things the fandom gets bent out of shape about for no real reason. It's really not a big deal.

Reaction score
^ It may not be a big deal, but its also unnecessary. Besides its better to have variety than recycling type combinations. Kind of like the lack of a Dark type gym.
The way I see it, if the design or concept of a Pokemon lends itself to a particular type combination, then it's silly to make that Pokemon a different type just for the sake of variety. All of the Fire/Fighting starters have had good reasons for their typing (Blaziken is based on Shamo chickens, a breed of chickens bred for cockfighting; Infernape and Emboar are both based on characters from Journey to the West). I value good design and concept over type variety for its own sake.

Pokémon: Gen 8.0 You Can (Not) Catch 'em All
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of fanart portraying Scorbunny as this hyperactive twerp. I'm really starting to like it more, along with the idea of it being my easily excitable sidekick.

beep BOOP bop BEEP boop boop BOB
Reaction score
It looks a combination of Chespin, Torchic, & Chimchar...but with a rabbit motif. I still like it though it's the first starter that has evoked so much imagery of its peers, for me.

El_

Reaction score
^ It may not be a big deal, but its also unnecessary. Besides its better to have variety than recycling type combinations. Kind of like the lack of a Dark type gym.
I agree with you, but after watching the GameXplain vid going into detail on Galar & the starters, I'm thinking a Fighting typing may be likely. The band-aids really do remind me of Maylene's:

Bunny could also just damage itself often from running around so much, but I'm bracing for this potential outcome.

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
Grookie is cute~ Simple looking but very unique as far as designs go. Doesn't resemble anything we've has so far super strongly and I like the stick thing it has going on~

Scorbunny is literally Chespin in Chimchar's pose. But it's adorable. I love everything about it, despite the fact that it's highly lacking in terms of originality. I just don't care because at least it looks like something that's cute~

Sobble is one of those mons that gains a huge cult following for looking like something can be memed. And based on the poll results, looks like it's already heading down that path~ It does resemble Froakie to me, with a smidge of Mudkip, so not super original, but it's a cute design~ I like it~

Starters are 10/10 this generation~ As a comparison to Gen VII, I'd say I probably prefer Rowlet to Grookey, Scorbuny to Litten 100%, and Popplio over Sobble, but I don't outright dislike any of these designs~

Long Lost Member
Reaction score
I think it's been mentioned a couple times before, but I screenshotted this observation of the starter's names from /vp/. They could mean nothing, but it sounds to me like Scorbunny could end up being Fire/Electric, Grookey might end up as a drummer, and Sobble I'm unsure.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Which i doubt, since then i am gonna say with a certainty Ash is never gonna get it in the anime or its not gonna evolve fully if he gets it because of Pikachu
Yup. A whopping two Fire Starters.
Over the course of eight years. It's been nearly a decade since we had a Fire/Fighting starter. I don't see the problem with having another after all that time.
And? Again, this isn't actually a problem.
If you're still bored of Fire/Fighting after nearly a decade of getting to play with other stuff, I don't know what to tell you. This is one of those things the fandom gets bent out of shape about for no real reason. It's really not a big deal.
@Jabberwocky did you just ignore that in the 'break' of measly two starters one had a heavy fighting theme?
The break was not of 'decades' but effectivelyliterally the 3 years of Gen 6.

Reaction score
@Jabberwocky did you just ignore that in the 'break' of measly two starters one had a heavy fighting theme?
The break was not of 'decades' but effectivelyliterally the 3 years of Gen 6.
Except Incineroar doesn't have a fighting theme, it has a professional wrestling theme - i.e. very specifically fake fighting. Its theme is that it's a heel wrestler. It only learns two offensive Fighting-type moves by level up for a reason.