• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Here's a new idea. Having seen that fighter jet evo of Scorbunny (looks pretty cool), which is likely fake as most say (I'm not so sure about that myself), what if the final evos of the starters had to do with advancement of various vehicular industries? I came with the idea, as I recently saw fanmade concept art of what Sobble's final evo could be like and I like it a lot.

So for example:
  1. Scorbunny Evo (Fighter Jet - Harrier) (imagine if it was real)
  2. Sobble (Sail Boat)
  3. Grookey (either a train like form, or a automobile)
How would that sound?

BTW Here's Sobble's final evo concept made by a artist on DA:

project_fakemon__sobble_final_evolution_by_xxd17_dd0yqe4-pre.jpg

it's a bunny thats fast there are no fighting relations in it's design even.

More interesting will be to see their evolutions and other pokemon of this gen.
I think this time all will end up males. We had Meganium, Delphox and Primarina already.
Maybe this 3 will be all males this time or like Venusaur have 2 forms with a little change.

Here’s a crazy idea for Scorbunny’s final typing: pure Fire.

I know, I know. It’s boring. But is it? Literally the only pure Fire Starter we have right now is Typhlosion. By contrast we have three pure Water and Grass Starters already. Making Scorbunny pure Fire, while boring, would be downright novel as a Starter type.

Here's a new idea. Having seen that fighter jet evo of Scorbunny (looks pretty cool), which is likely fake as most say (I'm not so sure about that myself), what if the final evos of the starters had to do with advancement of various vehicular industries? I came with the idea, as I recently saw fanmade concept art of what Sobble's final evo could be like and I like it a lot.

So for example:
  1. Scorbunny Evo (Fighter Jet - Harrier) (imagine if it was real)
  2. Sobble (Sail Boat)
  3. Grookey (either a train like form, or a automobile)
How would that sound?

BTW Here's Sobble's final evo concept made by a artist on DA:

project_fakemon__sobble_final_evolution_by_xxd17_dd0yqe4-pre.jpg

Would LOVE a Water/Ghost type final evo for Sobble, kinda based on that concept or even a Ship-of-the-Line concept that ties into British history and happens to reference a ghost ship. (considering it can turn invisible and all)

Here’s a crazy idea for Scorbunny’s final typing: pure Fire.

I know, I know. It’s boring. But is it? Literally the only pure Fire Starter we have right now is Typhlosion. By contrast we have three pure Water and Grass Starters already. Making Scorbunny pure Fire, while boring, would be downright novel as a Starter type.

Not saying that pure fire can't work, but it needs to be done right for it to if so. Like Treecko (probably the best comparison considering speed focus) being fun to use despite being pure grass as opposed to Chickorita & Snivy. If it is, then hopefully the movepool is good enough to support it.

Would LOVE a Water/Ghost type final evo for Sobble, kinda based on that concept or even a Ship-of-the-Line concept that ties into British history and happens to reference a ghost ship. (considering it can turn invisible and all)

Not saying that pure fire can't work, but it needs to be done right for it to if so. Like Treecko (probably the best comparison considering speed focus) being fun to use despite being pure grass as opposed to Chickorita & Snivy. If it is, then hopefully the movepool is good enough to support it.
Personally, I find both Chikorita and Treecko fun to use, though I prefer Chikorita by several miles.

Thank you to all those pointing out the music influences in Grookey's different names. Perhaps the sports thing won't be true at all! Which I'm fine with, not big on sports myself. I would love to see Grookey have a strong musical influence, healing nature with music like it seems to do during its intro. To me, that would make Grass/Fairy a perfect fit.

Yeah, I like that idea of a ghost ship themed Pokémon with a loch ness monster theme, which on itself is mythical. Would fit nicely together.

You do know in the real world we have like a hunred plus specis of the same animal right.

I mean come on God did we need chimps, apes, monkeys, chimpanzees, organatangs, mandrill, lesula (go google search monkey species and you'll get a whole list if them)

And how many freaking frogs we have come on God come up with something new!
God: fine buts its ugly so I'll hide it under thousands of miles of water
werid ** in the ocean

???

I'm not really sure why my statement made you go into a tirade. I understand that real world biodiversity has a wide array of creatures that are very similar to one another. Of course whether or not Pokemon biodiversity should mimic real world biodiversity is another discussion altogether.

But these are the starters we're talking about here. I feel justified in thinking that maybe they should be a little more unique. Yes we will get the regional rat, and the regional bird and we'll groan or not care. But there are so many unique mammals that GF could have drawn inspiration from for the grass starter. So many untapped concepts. But nope we get another monkey starter.

My theory/predictions:

Either Grookey or Scorbunny will become part-electric.

Now, I know what you're thinking; what? Scorbunny makes sense, but Grookey? Well, Scorbunny IS easier to rationalize. The site says it's full of energy. Energizer bunny. That kind of thing.

But as for Grookey, I really think its theme will be that it's a Taiko drummer. And that made me think of that Japanese thunder God with all the drums. So I think, if Scorbunny doesn't become electric, then Grookey will.

Ironically, despite being my favorite, I have no theories for Sobble. Best I've seen is that it's a theatrical actor but I'm not sure about them going with a drama theme right after an opera theme.

???

I'm not really sure why my statement made you go into a tirade. I understand that real world biodiversity has a wide array of creatures that are very similar to one another. Of course whether or not Pokemon biodiversity should mimic real world biodiversity is another discussion altogether.

But these are the starters we're talking about here. I feel justified in thinking that maybe they should be a little more unique. Yes we will get the regional rat, and the regional bird and we'll groan or not care. But there are so many unique mammals that GF could have drawn inspiration from for the grass starter. So many untapped concepts. But nope we get another monkey starter.
Nothing just seen this argument for years now a d have gotten tired of it.

And aside from chosing a very specific breed of an animal they have already covered almost every basic animal save for a couple like a dolphin.

All of the starters are decent looking this time. At least the first forms are. We'll have to see how they end up. I only liked one starter out of the past two gens. Sobble is probably going to be the one I start with. Interesting thing about the grass starters is that they seem to be related to prehistoric/extinct animals. I wonder if the chimp will follow that path. Any extinct monkey related animals that people know of?

I just realised Scorbunny's Japanese name contains the word "Spark" within, which makes me think it will be part Electric-type in the end.
I think Scorbunny's evolved form will have a good chance of being part Electric-type, but that has nothing to do with its name. Scorbunny's Japanese name Hibanii ヒバニー is indeed a combination of hibana 火花, which translates to spark, and banii バニー, obviously meaning bunny. However, 火花 (written with the kanji for 'fire' and 'flower') is more like a small firework or a fiery particle and not an electrical spark. Just try googling it and you'll see what I mean. Funnily enough, if you reverse the two kanji you get hanabi 花火, the Japanese word for fireworks. All in all, there's no direct relation with electricity. I don't think Scorbunny's name provides any hints for the secondary typing of its evolved forms in any language, unfortunately.

It still could also be Steel.

Fire flower 》 firework 》 gunpowder 》potassium nitrate 》 metal.

But that still doesn't explain it's speed though. And it seems to be a lot more convoluted than the "it's staticy" or "the bandaids are electrical tape" theories.

It still could also be Steel.

Fire flower 》 firework 》 gunpowder 》potassium nitrate 》 metal.

But that still doesn't explain it's speed though. And it seems to be a lot more convoluted than the "it's staticy" or "the bandaids are electrical tape" theories.

Also, if you hammer on Heated Steel, you get sparks, which can also point towards another starting becoming Part Fighting.

I've been waiting so long for another reptile starter, but for some reason Scorbunny's my favorite of the trio. I really can't see myself being disappointed by it unless it ends up becoming Fire/Normal or pure Fire, and after the lackluster reception Gen V's trio recieved, I doubt we'll see monotype starters anytime soon. God help me, I would actually be okay with it being Fire/Fighting.

The other two are also really good, though. I can easily see Grookey becoming a big, brutal-looking Grass/Dark metal drummer gorilla, and I can see Sobble becoming a Water/Ghost-type of some sort.

A trend that I've noticed since gen 6 is that, for the final evolutions of the starter trio, the secondary types also form (something close to) a second type triangle. Consider:

Greninja: Water > Fire and Dark > Psychic
Delphox: Fire > Grass and Psychic > Fighting
Chesnaught: Grass > Water and Fighting > Dark

Gen 7 was a little more lax, but we still got:
Primarina: Water > Fire and Fairy > Dark
Incineroar: Fire > Grass and Dark > Ghost
Decidueye: Grass > Water (though ghost/fairy is a neutral matchup)

Some interesting type triangles that I'd like to see them try:

Ground/Ice/Steel
Fighting/Flying/Ice
Flying/Fighting/Rock
Dragon/Fairy/Steel

I also note that we haven't had Ice or Rock as secondary starter types yet...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom