• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
I can't predict the types yet, but one thing I'd love to see: Scorbunny evolving into a Jackalope Pokemon!

Think: It has this yellow scar just above its nose, which would be cool if it slowly grew horns upon evolution. It might sound hard to pull off, but I think Gamefreak could do it somehow, and shock the fanbase into submisson.

I saw this really neat piece fan design of a Grookey evolution

I'm not the biggest fan of the design, but I really like the idea of it, and it kind of fits to this idea that others have been having on here where each of the starters matures as they evolve. Scorbunny goes from being super energetic and out of control to more calm and collected, Sobble goes from being super anxious and timid to being more confident, and Grookey could go from being curious and mischievous to knowing and wise, and gain the psychic typing. I really love this idea for the starters and I think this fan design represents it pretty well. I would love to see the final evo of Grookey become something like this.

I wouldn't mind this idea, and the theme of maturity is a simple enough one to pull off. Kinda fits with the personality theme GameXplain was thinking of in their vid speculating about the starters. Grass/Psychic sage monkey would at least be unique for starters. The only other Pokemon with that type combo being the Exeggute-line & Celebi.

That design may be boring for some, but maybe "safe" is better in some cases so GF could focus on better aspects regarding it.

Scorbunny is really starting to grow on me. I really hope it becomes part Electric. But even if it doesn't, I maybe would still like him or her. It depends on what the alternative option is.

I even made Scorbunny my wallpaper. So here's to hoping Scorbunny doesn't disappoint me.

Scorbunny is really starting to grow on me. I really hope it becomes part Electric. But even if it doesn't, I maybe would still like him or her. It depends on what the alternative option is.

I even made Scorbunny my wallpaper. So here's to hoping Scorbunny doesn't disappoint me.
sHRFrUs.jpg

Created by the same guy who made the Ghost Ship Sobble evolution. I could see this happening and Ash's potential rival in the anime having it to challenge Pikachu. I don't like it as much as the other two he made, but it does have its charm. Reminds me of The Flash from DC.

sHRFrUs.jpg

Created by the same guy who made the Ghost Ship Sobble evolution. I could see this happening and Ash's potential rival in the anime having it to challenge Pikachu. I don't like it as much as the other two he made, but it does have its charm. Reminds me of The Flash from DC.
Thank you for that! That just looks incredible! I love it! All the starters have so much potential. Hope it doesn't go to waste.

Just though about something.

Because of balancing issues, i cannot see the writers ever making a secondary Electric type on the starters or make a Water type part Poison, since it makes the Grass starter pointless.

First of all... writers don’t design Pokemon...

Infernape ended up getting super effective STAB against Empoleon and it didn’t make the water starter pointless.
Torterra also got a Ground type which is super effective against Infernape.

I don't think his concern was how the starters would fare against each other. He's thinking about the starters' combined role in Ash and friends' team.

Water/Ice would definitely be a cool typing for Sobble. Dependant on the design it would probably make me want to pick him since I never have ice types on my team.

Other than that I'd like to see Water/Dragon.

I don't think his concern was how the starters would fare against each other. He's thinking about the starters' combined role in Ash and friends' team.

Still it wouldn’t make the grass starter useless if Scorbunny and Sobble are electric and poison.

And writers don’t choose what types the starters evolve into.

Still it wouldn’t make the grass starter useless if Scorbunny and Sobble are electric and poison.

And writers don’t choose what types the starters evolve into.
Yeah. The anime writers don't have any say in the starter's evolution types, so this whole argument means absolutely nothing.

Yeah. The anime writers don't have any say in the starter's evolution types, so this whole argument means absolutely nothing.

I meant Artists, but stupid phone made it Writers. I didn't even release before sending it out.

But even so... A secondary type might influence the anime writers to give Ash a certain Pokemon or not.

I meant Artists, but stupid phone made it Writers. I didn't even release before sending it out.

But even so... A secondary type might influence the anime writers to give Ash a certain Pokemon or not.
I don't think that way, unless it's Electric type, but they could always leave it unevolved.

U-turn will be usefull with the rabbit. Hmm Ape will be a Gorilla grass/rock monk with battle stick ,hammer, maybe axe, hammer+axe would allow leaf blade, wood hammer and solar blade?(roar, hypervoice, belly drum, accelrock, first impression), rabbit fire/electric native indian warrior with blaze sword , priority moves, bounce and water Basilisk water/poison with shield made of it fins and with dorns. Did You noticed the electric sparks on the wheel when rabit was running. The monkey hit a rock and climbed a rock wall. Interesting how the video shows their speed they seem faster then gen 6 and 7 starters. Final stage ape 88, rabbit 126 and Basilisk 106 . would be cool if Ash would get all this time and fully evolve. Also hope with battles between fully evolved between them and starters of other regions.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom