• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Electric is Pikachu's type. Fire/Electric ScorBunny will make new trainers avoid using Pikachu bcuz of the overlapped Electric type, which GF wouldn't like to see.
ScorBunny and Pikachu, as the mascots of Pokemon for next 3-4 years, will overshadow each other bcuz of the type and lead to a worse effect on advertisement.

They literally make a Pikaclone every generation which is even based on cute rodents. That causes more overlaps than Scorbunny's evolution could ever hope to cause. GameFreak don’t care about that, so they probably won’t care about that evolution.

Plus, fully evolved starters are rarely advertised with Pikachu (that is done with the first stagers), and Scorbunny's evolution will be much larger, different in design, and 'cooler' than Pikachu, who goes for both 'cute' and 'cool'.

Due to the soccer theme, Fire/Ground could have a chance, for a rabbit who loves training and playing on a muddy soccer field.
Muddy football fields are actually discouraged due to safety risks so a football field isn’t muddy.

My theories:
Grookey becomes the "manly bruiser" of the trio and ends up as a metal drummer gorilla. Grass/Dark or Grass/Rock.
Scorbunny becomes the "badass adorable" member of the trio and becomes a cheerleader who creates pom-poms out of fire. Fire/Fairy or Fire/Electric.
Sobble becomes the "edgy boi" of the trio and becomes an assassin chameleon. Water/Ghost or Water/Poison.
I personally think that if they are going with the Buff/Feminine or Cutesie/Edgy thing again, that it would be Cute Grookey, Edgy Scorbunny and Buff Sobble since we've had the other versions in the last two gens with Chesnaught/Incineroar (Buff), Delphox/Primarina (Feminine) and Greninja/Decidueye (E D G Y)
It makes more and more sense for Grookey to be Grass/Rock type.
I don't think GF will let the opportunity to make the "ROCK music" memes go.

Electric is Pikachu's type. Fire/Electric ScorBunny will make new trainers avoid using Pikachu bcuz of the overlapped Electric type, which GF wouldn't like to see.
ScorBunny and Pikachu, as the mascots of Pokemon for next 3-4 years, will overshadow each other bcuz of the type and lead to a worse effect on advertisement.
Due to the soccer theme, Fire/Ground could have a chance, for a rabbit who loves training and playing on a muddy soccer field.
And it can also make another trio for Toterra, Swampert and the BUNNY!

Ghost? can't be cooler for Sobble to have it. Poison and Ice is ok, but it's bland for a starter to have a so common type combination.

SO,
My guess is Grass/Rock, Fire/Ground, Water/Ghost
Also, Rock and Ground is difficult for a new trainer to distinguish. I think only one of them will come true.
Then, the candidate type can be Grass/Fairy, Grass/Psychic or Fire/Fairy.

I still believe in Fire/electriv tbh. And while Grass/Rock could be neat I am so so SO much hoping for Grass/Dark. They said it is mischievous...

I still believe in Fire/electriv tbh. And while Grass/Rock could be neat I am so so SO much hoping for Grass/Dark. They said it is mischievous...

Mischievous, curious...Huh. Mad scientist, maybe? It'd be a first.

Mad scientists are cool.

Last time most speculated Popplio to become a clown, and very few (if any) expected a feminine siren singer mermaid.
I expect something similar to happen with one of the starters (Grookey most likely).

Last time most speculated Popplio to become a clown, and very few (if any) expected a feminine siren singer mermaid.
I expect something similar to happen with one of the starters (Grookey most likely).

Sometimes the final evolutions of the starters are ugly, and sometimes they aren't. We'll have to see.

Odds are good that least two will look good. The one that's supposed to look "cool" is usually hit-or-miss.

Sometimes the final evolutions of the starters are ugly, and sometimes they aren't. We'll have to see.

Odds are good that least two will look good. The one that's supposed to look "cool" is usually hit-or-miss.

'Looking good' is highly subjective. People are going to find different Pokémon appealing.
Like in the case with Alola starters, there are Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina fans which are quite evenly distributed and the popularity gaps are not astronomical.

They literally make a Pikaclone every generation which is even based on cute rodents. That causes more overlaps than Scorbunny's evolution could ever hope to cause. GameFreak don’t care about that, so they probably won’t care about that evolution.

Plus, fully evolved starters are rarely advertised with Pikachu (that is done with the first stagers), and Scorbunny's evolution will be much larger, different in design, and 'cooler' than Pikachu, who goes for both 'cute' and 'cool'.

Muddy football fields are actually discouraged due to safety risks so a football field isn’t muddy.

Emmm
If there is a company or a sports team, pikachu is defined as the alpha man and pikaclone is defined as the beta man.
No one will overshadow the other one, bcuz they take different duties.
For pikaclones, what GF wants to sell to the fans is the Similarity.

But for starter trio and Pikachu, they are like Fantastic Four. They are four alpha men.
What GF wants to sell to fans is their difference on nature, characteristics, patterns, colors and so on.

The original animal of Pikachu is pika, who looks like a rabbit. The origins of Pikachu and Scorbunny are already so close. It's better to make more difference on other aspects of them.

That's how I think about it.

And for the muddy thing, muddy field is dangerous, I totally agree.
For kids who love soccer, I believe they have played football on that kind of field at least for several times when they were kids.
The muddy field sometimes is related to childhood, memory, struggle and growth, the efforts, friendship, the squabble with friend after he kicks the ball out of sideline, the sound mom called you back home to have dinner.
So it's not a bad idea to relate the muddy field with a kid bunny.
And when the soccer-lover is grown, he can play on the stage, the stadium, the field with perfect turfs, and he now can make some QUAKES on the field.

'Looking good' is highly subjective. People are going to find different Pokémon appealing.
Like in the case with Alola starters, there are Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina fans which are quite evenly distributed and the popularity gaps are not astronomical.

So no starter Pokemon final evo's appearance has ever been unpopular, you're saying? Okay...I see.

Did not know that. (Not being sarcastic, by the way.)

But for starter trio and Pikachu, they are like Fantastic Four. They are four alpha men.
What GF wants to sell to fans is their difference on nature, characteristics, patterns, colors and so on.

The original animal of Pikachu is pika, who looks like a rabbit. The origins of Pikachu and Scorbunny are already so close. It's better to make more difference on other aspects of them.

Pikachu's rabbit origins are dubious at best, and like I said before, fully evolved starters are not usually marketed with Pikachu. The base stages are (and unevolved Scorbunny isn’t Electric).
And like I (again) said before, final Scorbunny Evolution is going to be much bigger than Pikachu and would be very different in design.

So it's not a bad idea to relate the muddy field with a kid bunny.
We're talking about the final evolution though. Scorbunny in base stage has no associations to dirt.

You even looked at Deviantart before?
Deviantart designed all the fully evolved starters?

Not sure what your point is since I've come across fans of literally every fully evolved starter.
Someone might find something ugly, while it might be great for someone else. Thats how perception works.

You said objectively ugly things don't exist. A quick browse on the internet of shitty artwork surely disproves that right? It's ugly art, and everyone agrees it's ugly art. Thus it's objectively ugly, thus you said something false.

That's what I meant anyway. Mostly a joke. Mostly.

Pikachu's rabbit origins are dubious at best, and like I said before, fully evolved starters are not usually marketed with Pikachu. The base stages are (and unevolved Scorbunny isn’t Electric).
And like I (again) said before, final Scorbunny Evolution is going to be much bigger than Pikachu and would be very different in design.

We're talking about the final evolution though. Scorbunny in base stage has no associations to dirt.
I get what you said. Pikachu is always advertised with base stages and not so usually with the fully evolved stages.

But I think it matters game-wise.
If an electric-type pokemon is already on team, the trainer would be less desirable to cultivate one more electric-type pokemon.
If there are two, it will be much lower possibility to have the third. Most trainers want type-diversity on team-building.
The final stage of Fire/Electric Scorbunny will squeeze the space of Pikachu. Fire/Electric bunny will definitely be high on Atk or SP.Atk, which also squeezes the space of Pikachu.

And anime-wise, when Ash wants to hit away a bird or Team Rocket and Pikachu uses Thunderbolt, "Why not use the Scorbunny" or "Why not use the 3rd stage bunny, he is much more stronger and can use thunderbolt!" will be asked.
It seems Pikachu is useless now, its niche is occupied. It's not unique any more.
It's not about a little cute guy(Pikachu) versus a cool slim guy(3rd stage bunny) which you think is different enough.
It's only about the type.
And "Oh, the bunny is so cool, it can use thunderbolt, will my Pikachu evolve into the cool bunny?"

At the first view, Popplio is not related to a singer, Kitten is not related to a sneaky brawler, Fennekin is not related to a magician. But after we see the final stage, we find everything is hidden and hinted in the design.
The same for the dirt.

We are in a hot argument. I don't want to argue. Everything is decided by GF, not us.
If GF gives the Fire/Electric to bunny, I will choose it.
The design of Scorbunny is amazing. I just think it's low probability to have Fire/Electric one.

Last edited:
But I think it matters game-wise.
If an electric-type pokemon is already on team, the trainer would be less desirable to cultivate one more electric-type pokemon.
If there are two, it will be much lower possibility to have the third. Most trainers want type-diversity on team-building.
The final stage of Fire/Electric Scorbunny will squeeze the space of Pikachu. Fire/Electric bunny will definitely be high on Atk or SP.Atk, which also squeezes the space of Pikachu.
Same could be said for Pikaclones.
And anime-wise, when Ash wants to hit away a bird or Team Rocket and Pikachu uses Thunderbolt, "Why not use the Scorbunny" or "Why not use the 3rd stage bunny, he is much more stronger and can use thunderbolt!" will be asked.
It seems Pikachu is useless now, its niche is occupied. It's not unique any more.
It's not about a little cute guy(Pikachu) versus a cool slim guy(3rd stage bunny) which you think is different enough.
It's only about the type.
And "Oh, the bunny is so cool, it can use thunderbolt, will my Pikachu evolve into the cool bunny?"
It could be have a physical electric move.
Besides, Ash literally just caught a Pokemon with an electric move so an electric type Pokemon is now not out of the question.

We don’t even know if Ash will get Scorbunny. The anime team has no say in starter types.

By that logic I could just say that Scorbunny is going to be a Fire/Poison opera singer because we cannot see its theme now.

I guess we should end this exchange because none of us is convinced.

Well you're right.
For "The same for the dirt", I just want to say before we see the final stage, we can't understand what is hinted on the bunny.
Like the white fur hints fairy, the bandage-fighting,the speedy move-electric, the large feet-ground, the sparkles on the iron wheel-steel.
It's like a chocolate, we never know what we're gonna get before GF announces.

Let's just end it. Hope we can get the type we like.

Okay I've got my starter type predictions:

Grookey: Grass/Fairy. No matter how they take it (femme, bulky, rocker, shaman), I can't ignore how it 100% rhythmically beat a stick to make the grass grow. Using music to effect nature seems like classic fairy. It doesn't even matter to me how common a type combo that is. Lol

Sobble: Water/Ghost. I'm hoping they continue the whole "transparent" trait, and that would go hand-in-hand with the ghost type (immunity to normal and fighting). Even if it goes draconic, I see them not giving it the dragon type. That type seems off limits for some reason, and there's other examples of non-dragon type draconic Pokémon.

Scorbunny: this is the hardest one for me. I don't see /Electric. Not because of Pikachu specifically, but because it seems like a 'basic element' type that they won't give to a starter. To keep the trend of the secondary types mostly-but-not-fully following the initial circle, I'll go with Fire/Steel. I could see it being like Lucario with its steel type.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom